PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Lone Wolf Timberwolf Glock frames...

Chris17404
10-13-13, 11:53
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Timberwolf Glock frames made by Lone Wolf Distributors, either the full size or the new compact size. I am considering purchasing one to see how it affects the pistol's ergonomics.

Are they just as reliable as a factory frame? What parts do they come with, what parts are Timberwolf-specific, and what parts can be re-used from an existing Glock frame? How do they handle and shoot? Any real-world experience? Can they be trusted for a self-defense weapon? Do they fit holsters designed for factory Glocks? It appears that they not only changed the angle of the backstrap, but the frontstrap as well, which is something a standard grip reduction cannot do.

I have 2 G19's and a G17, and I'd be very happy if I could transform them into a more ergonomic pistol without doing the drastic grip reduction from someone like Robar.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

og556
10-13-13, 13:46
Chris,

The only info I can contribute is very subjective. I was able to handle one at a local gun shop recently for the full sized Glocks.

This frame's build quality looked good. In terms of comfort and ergonomics it was head and shoulders above the Glocks even with beavertails.

The frame's grip makes this very tempting but there is no way I would use it for a carry or self defense gun until there are more high round count reports of it's performance from various people.

oldtexan
10-13-13, 16:14
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Timberwolf Glock frames made by Lone Wolf Distributors, either the full size or the new compact size. I am considering purchasing one to see how it affects the pistol's ergonomics.

Are they just as reliable as a factory frame? What parts do they come with, what parts are Timberwolf-specific, and what parts can be re-used from an existing Glock frame? How do they handle and shoot? Any real-world experience? Can they be trusted for a self-defense weapon? Do they fit holsters designed for factory Glocks? It appears that they not only changed the angle of the backstrap, but the frontstrap as well, which is something a standard grip reduction cannot do.

I have 2 G19's and a G17, and I'd be very happy if I could transform them into a more ergonomic pistol without doing the drastic grip reduction from someone like Robar.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

I bought a bare Timberwolf frame back in August of 2011 for my wife to use with a G17 upper as her nightstand/traveling gun. She liked Glocks, but needed a smaller grip. I built-up the frame myself using unused spare Glock OEM parts. We've put about 1570 rds through it and have experienced no stoppages.

I did have to trim back the mag release button because I was hitting it inadvertently and dropping mags unintentionally. The Timberwolf mag release is proprietary to the frame, has a much larger surface area and is taller than its Glock counterpart, and seems to need less pressure to activate it. IIRC, the mag release and grip inserts are the only proprietary parts.

The surface of the Timberwolf grip seems slightly less slick than my 3rd gen Glocks, which I view as a good thing.

The gun fits well in our Raven Phantoms, both light-compatible and standard models. I haven't tried any other holsters. It also works fine with a Surefire DG-11 switch and Surefire X200.

At about the 500 rd mark, I replaced the standard OEM Glock 5.5 connector with a Glock OEM minus connector (4.5) and immediately noticed that the gun wouldn't release the striker, with an NY1 spring installed. It also wouldn't work with a minus connector and NY2 spring. I even tried switching out the trigger bar with a spare in case the trigger bar was the issue, but to no avail. I haven't had this happen with any other combination of connector and trigger spring that I tried (minus connector and standard spring, standard connector and NY1 spring, standard connector and standard spring).

The grip profile certainly feels different from a Glock. We have the larger (slightly curved) grip insert installed. I actually like the Glock OEM grip profile but for folks who just don't like the Glock grip, I believe it's a decent option, assuming that it displays long-term durability. Our round count is not sufficient to settle that issue, but maybe someone with a significantly higher round count will come along and comment.

Jmacken37
10-13-13, 21:32
Not a direct data point, but I've had very good experience with a timberwolf G17 threaded barrel. Many thousands of rounds through it and still very accurate.

oef24
10-13-13, 22:00
I have a Timberwolf frame and had it all built up with OEM Glock parts. It as been perfect using a G24 slide. I love the way it points and feels in the hand compared to a Gen3 or Gen4.

O