PDA

View Full Version : Help with M&P Shield or Compact 9mm

brown3345
10-13-13, 12:00
I am getting into the thought process of buying another pistol for concealed carry. I have been looking at the M&P Shield and the Compact and from what I have read here they seem like nice units these days since they have upgraded some components recently.

Since I don't have any ranges or gunshops in the area that have loaners available I was wondering if any of you have experience with them. Looking on G&R's website I see that they have the Shield 9mm(SKU 180021) and the Compact 9mm (SKU 209304) available.

So here is my background. I was in the Army MP Corps (MPI) until 1991. I carried the 1911 and snubbie revolver exclusively except for a 30 day stint in Europe where I was issued the Beretta. After leaving the Military I have mostly carried a Kimber Ultra CDP II, Colt Commander and a J Frame.

Somewhere around 2002 I took a swan dive off a roof and landed onto a driveway, fragging my right wrist. Since then I haven't really been able to shoot some of these new fangled pistols for extended periods like the Glocks, Kel Tec P-3AT or the older S&W 5906. The L O N G trigger pull on these really gave me problems.

So with the options that Grant has for these 2 pistols, APEX Tactical DCAEK, AEK Trigger, APEX Tactical FSS. Which one would you recommend and with which options? Or should I be looking at a different pistol altogether?

Psalms144.1
10-13-13, 12:57
Brown - I've got a ganked up wrist, luckily mine is on my support side. With a compromised strong hand, I'd be looking for the "softest" recoil possible, which, of the two you selected, would be the M&Pc.

The M&Pc also offers significant capacity improvements, and is a more "established" platform - unfortunately, after an initial very strong showing, I'm hearing more and more reports of Shield reliability issues...

WRT Apex goodies, I go with the tactical DCAEK and Polymer trigger. The FSS set isn't recommended for defensive carry by folks in the know without combining it with a manual thumb safety.

Regards,

Kevin

PatrioticDisorder
10-13-13, 13:11
Brown - I've got a ganked up wrist, luckily mine is on my support side. With a compromised strong hand, I'd be looking for the "softest" recoil possible, which, of the two you selected, would be the M&Pc.

The M&Pc also offers significant capacity improvements, and is a more "established" platform - unfortunately, after an initial very strong showing, I'm hearing more and more reports of Shield reliability issues...

WRT Apex goodies, I go with the tactical DCAEK and Polymer trigger. The FSS set isn't recommended for defensive carry by folks in the know without combining it with a manual thumb safety.

Regards,

Kevin

Shield reliability reports are WAY overblown to say the very least. Between myself, family & friends I know several people who own Shields and while some shoot more than others, nobody including myself has had a single issue. I shoot my shield more accurately than my other M&Ps.

The shield is a solid little pistol and I carry it often. That said, you can't go wrong with a compact M&P, it's also a great little carry pistol, but still chunky like the baby Glocks. It comes down to comfort/concealability vs. more rounds & versatility (compacts can take full size mags including mags with taylor freelance extensions, and you can throw the x grip on them).

yhmspecter
10-13-13, 13:57
So far I vote a shield, I have had one malfunction out of 650 rounds so far ( fail to extract) through my 9mm shield. I will also agree that the M&P compact is bulky I used to have one and I found that when I did carry it, it wasn't that much more concealable then the full size M&P.The Shield is very concealable and has decent capacity, its also very controllable for a small frame light weight pistol in a caliber that is suffecent for defense

deserteaglexxx
10-13-13, 15:07
I would go with the shield and apex carry kit. The m&pc is also very nice.

Tzintzuntzan
10-13-13, 16:50
I'd go with I with the M&P compact if I was really wanting a gun by Smith. Some other options would be the P2000 with a light LEM or even the DA/SA or even the USP9 compact. In my experience small handguns, subcompact and smaller, just don't provide enough in terms of capacity and recoil dampening ability to make them enjoyable on the range when in one of the duty calibers. I don't want to think about how their inherent snappiness would effect my shooting skills in a real use of force scenario.

brown3345
10-13-13, 18:42
Just a note. It's the long heavy trigger pull that has given me issues with my wrist/hand not the recoil ( odd, I don't know why) . I can shoot my Encore pistol with 7mm-08 AI and 445 super mag for extended sessions. I did have a 15" 460 barrel but that was to much for the old wrist.

Tzintzuntzan
10-13-13, 18:45
You might wanna try Bruce Gray if you're seriously considering an HK. A light LEM is only about 5lb or less per trigger press.

Psalms144.1
10-13-13, 21:10
If trigger pull LENGTH is your issue, then the FSS might be the ticket, mated to a manual safety like that on your 1911.

I love my HKs - carry one every day for duty and personal, but the trigger pull on all of them is LONG. REALLY long. You can make it pretty light with the V1 LEM, but it's still a long take up, and a long reset.

As to whether Shield problems are overblown, when a company initiates a voluntary recall of an entire pistol line, that's what my buddies in the FBI call "a clue."

Regards,

Kevin

PatrioticDisorder
10-13-13, 21:15
As to whether Shield problems are overblown, when a company initiates a voluntary recall of an entire pistol line, that's what my buddies in the FBI call "a clue."

In fact S&W did NOT issue a recall of the Shield, they issued a safety alert, urging Shield owners to check the trigger. It was a simple and quick test, according to sources effected only a small number of Shields produced around early summer 2013. No one I know had a shield effected by what you call a "recall" and I continue to carry & shoot my uber defective shield (aka the sewing machine) with 100% confidence. :)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-13-13, 21:17
As an HK and J Frame owner, I cant imagine the M&P, Glock, or Shield having what is considered a "long" trigger pull. My Shield is a great handgun and IMO a soft shooter. In fact, I am a much better shooter with it than my G19. All objective to my experiences, but I love mine.

Kokopelli
10-13-13, 21:20
I vote Shield as well.. I've got over a thousand rounds through mine with no failures. I carry it everyday in Raven Concealment Phantom.. No complaints.. Cheers.. Ron

BioLayne
10-13-13, 21:38
over 1500 rds through my shield, no malfunctions

Mike169
10-14-13, 07:36
I am getting into the thought process of buying another pistol for concealed carry. I have been looking at the M&P Shield and the Compact and from what I have read here they seem like nice units these days since they have upgraded some components recently.

Since I don't have any ranges or gunshops in the area that have loaners available I was wondering if any of you have experience with them. Looking on G&R's website I see that they have the Shield 9mm(SKU 180021) and the Compact 9mm (SKU 209304) available.

So here is my background. I was in the Army MP Corps (MPI) until 1991. I carried the 1911 and snubbie revolver exclusively except for a 30 day stint in Europe where I was issued the Beretta. After leaving the Military I have mostly carried a Kimber Ultra CDP II, Colt Commander and a J Frame.

Somewhere around 2002 I took a swan dive off a roof and landed onto a driveway, fragging my right wrist. Since then I haven't really been able to shoot some of these new fangled pistols for extended periods like the Glocks, Kel Tec P-3AT or the older S&W 5906. The L O N G trigger pull on these really gave me problems.

So with the options that Grant has for these 2 pistols, APEX Tactical DCAEK, AEK Trigger, APEX Tactical FSS. Which one would you recommend and with which options? Or should I be looking at a different pistol altogether?

You should go hold a shield. I was HOT for one when they were announced. I searched high and low for one, then I finally found one and held it, meh.. It just doesn't feel good at all in my hand. That combined with that safety (although after dry firing it, I see why it's there, that trigger almost feels like a single action), caused me to put it on the "probably never buy" list..

If I were getting a single stack 9 again, I'd go back to a kahr or I'd look harder at the XD-s.. Personally I find the glock 26 to fit my needs for now.

walkin' trails
10-14-13, 07:55
I don't have a Shield or any experience with one other than handling one at a gun show, but own, shoot, and carry a couple of other M&Ps. I have read a lot about the small single stack 380s and 9s, and believe the one common denominator to having a reliable pistol is proper break-in. American Handgunner ran an article by John Connor on the Shield a while back and proper break-in with consideration to ammunition and lube was stressed. I think that should be the case for all of them on the market because I haven't seen an article discussing a new ultra compact pistol that ran 100% out of the box until a few hundred rounds for digested. I didn't see any mention of the Sig P938. It's a SA 9MM about the same size as the Shield. The trigger may be a little on the heavy side, but if you're experienced with the 1911, you might be comfortable with that one.

Dano5326
10-14-13, 08:05
In that size Walther PPS & Shield is the most accurate subcompact 9mm's going. Inline with fullsize glocks. The PPS ergo's don't do it for me.

Kahr and many others in the sub-compact have spotty reliability records.

The shield is a reasonable choice, I have not seen issues with a sample of one...

Perhaps at SHOT we may see something new in this class.

Psalms144.1
10-14-13, 09:08
In fact S&W did NOT issue a recall of the Shield, they issued a safety alert, urging Shield owners to check the trigger. It was a simple and quick test, according to sources effected only a small number of Shields produced around early summer 2013. No one I know had a shield effected by what you call a "recall" and I continue to carry & shoot my uber defective shield (aka the sewing machine) with 100% confidence. :)Mea maxima culpa.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=135400&highlight=shield

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=138215&highlight=shield

Please note - I never said that the Shield was a bad gun, just that, given the option of the M&Pc, which is only fractionally larger but offers more capacity, I'd go that way. I guess I'll bow out now, for fear of upsetting any more apple carts.

Regards,

Kevin

Redbeardsong
10-14-13, 09:18
I have a shield 9mm I carry when I'm not carrying my M&P9 FS or Ruger SR9c. The shield has a very good trigger, which makes it a great shooter for it's size. It is slimmer and lighter than the M&P9c, with less ammo, so it's the gun I carry when I need utmost concealment or comfort. Most of the time, though, I can just as easily carry the SR9c, which is nearly identical in size to the M&P9c. The Compact is going to be more peasant to shoot a lot than the shield, and has a shorter grip with the pinky extension than the Shield's 8round mag.

The shield fits a small niche better than the M&Pc, in that it's lighter and slimmer, and can pass as a pocket gun for some people. First time carriers will find the shield easier to carry, but beyond that, most people would probably get more utility out of the M&P9c.

Itzik
10-14-13, 19:33
Hi I am new to this forum but have been reading for a very long time. I have many years of experience with most firearms, I bought an M&P Shield in 9mm a few months ago and after 600 rounds it has been flawless, did not require the recall due to the trigger bar and I can say that I can shoot it as well if not better then most of my other handguns in combat drills including strong hand, weak hand and move and shoot exercises.
It is also my compact gun that I do carry in hot summer months in a pocket holster and it is by far superior to past pocket guns that I have owned like the Kahr P9, P45 and PM9.:)
Of course if I want more rounds in a subcompact gun then I will use my Glock 26 that I have been carrying for over 20 years which I still consider one of the best higher capacity subcompacts ever made.

Itzik
10-14-13, 19:59
By the way if the Shields grip is a little too slim do the following, put a panel of skate board tape around the grip and then get a Pachmayer rubber grip sleeve and put it over it.

It will give you more grip to hold on to and also the rubber grip will not slip off as the skate board tape will not let it.;)

I carry my Shield with the 8 round mag + 1 in the chamber and carry 2 X 8 round mag's as back up when carrying the Shield in a OWB holster and with the short 7 round mag when carrying it in the pocket in a Nemesis holster from De Santis and carry the 2 spare mag's in my other pocket.

I carry Federal HST 124 +P in my Shield without any problems ever experienced.

RWH24
10-14-13, 21:13
I too have a Shield 9mm loaded with Speer 124gr GDHP. It serves a purpose and covers a small and capable pistole.
I also have a Sig 239 9mm loaded with Speer 124gr +P GDHP. It is a size larger and close to 10 ounces heavier. It absorbs recoil more than the Shield, but that is expected. Either one is a fine single stack CCW pistol. The 239 DAK may be more to your liking than the DA/SA.

bowietx
10-14-13, 21:22
To this point I can shoot the Shield as accurately as any gun that I own. For a small gun even shots out to 25 yards are easy to place within the vital areas of a VTAC target. The recoil is not substantial and the trigger pull is not especially heavy and has a much better feel than my full size M&Ps. It is reliable and extremely easy to carry, so much so that depending upon your choice of carry it is hardly noticeable from the stand point of weight or discomfort. You can't go wrong with either choice, but I would recommend the Shield.

PD Sgt.
10-15-13, 09:41
Please note - I never said that the Shield was a bad gun, just that, given the option of the M&Pc, which is only fractionally larger but offers more capacity, I'd go that way.
Regards,

Kevin

This is my opinion as well. For me, the difference in size does not affect my ability to conceal the pistol, and I prefer the slightly larger grip on the compact, in addition to the capacity increase.

ra2bach
10-15-13, 12:13
By the way if the Shields grip is a little too slim do the following, put a panel of skate board tape around the grip and then get a Pachmayer rubber grip sleeve and put it over it.

It will give you more grip to hold on to and also the rubber grip will not slip off as the skate board tape will not let it.;)

not arguing but that would negate the main advantage of a single stack, no?..

the thinness of the gun is the whole reason for this configuration. in deference to the subject of this thread, if I had to do this I would simply choose the 9Compact...

Itzik
10-15-13, 12:25
not arguing but that would negate the main advantage of a single stack, no?..

the thinness of the gun is the whole reason for this configuration. in deference to the subject of this thread, if I had to do this I would simply choose the 9Compact...

No its not, my set up is still thinner then the compact, also the Shield is lighter then the compact. If you can conceal the compact as easily as the shield fine no problem carry the compact.
As an example I don't have a compact but my Glock 26 feels a lot heavier and bulkier in the pocket then my shield.

Shiz
10-15-13, 12:33
I love my Shield, but I also love my Glock 19. (roughly equiv to MPC) when I am working out, wearing gym shorts, etc I carry my shield. When I am wanting more firepower I carry my Glock 19.

Shield can be a decent pocket pistol. Ankle pistol or hide many places a thicker gun can't. It is much easier to conceal than a Glock 26 in fact.

WickedWillis
10-15-13, 13:03
My experience is the Shield shoots eerily similar to the M&P compact, it's a very soft shooting pocket gun. They did a good job on it. The only reason I am selling mine is because I prefer a larger handgun for EDC.

Itzik
10-15-13, 13:08
My experience is the Shield shoots eerily similar to the M&P compact, it's a very soft shooting pocket gun. They did a good job on it. The only reason I am selling mine is because I prefer a larger handgun for EDC.

If you can afford it keep the Shield and buy a second larger gun, you will always have a use for the Shield as a deep cover gun.

WickedWillis
10-15-13, 13:15
If you can afford it keep the Shield and buy a second larger gun, you will always have a use for the Shield as a deep cover gun.

I did not even think about this, but thank you for that input. I am carrying a G19 as my EDC, and was thinking of carrying a G26 as a backup/ankle carry.

Itzik
10-15-13, 13:24
I did not even think about this, but thank you for that input. I am carrying a G19 as my EDC, and was thinking of carrying a G26 as a backup/ankle carry.

I have sold many guns that I was sorry I did afterwards.

WickedWillis
10-15-13, 13:30
I have sold many guns that I was sorry I did afterwards.

As have I, fortunately I am much better off financially then I used to be. The Shield, and the PPS truly are the best 9mm's available in the pocket pistol size. And the reliability debate is so far overblown on the internet it's almost laughable.

Itzik
10-15-13, 13:38
As have I, fortunately I am much better off financially then I used to be. The Shield, and the PPS truly are the best 9mm's available in the pocket pistol size. And the reliability debate is so far overblown on the internet it's almost laughable.

I agree.:)

G4PI09
10-15-13, 14:03
I bought a 9mm shield about a month ago and after putting 400 rounds of 124gr ball and 100 rounds of winchester 147gr ranger T and having roughly 17 failures to eject combined with the lack of magazine availability i decided to sell the pistol. The size was good and the trigger was decent as far as an m&p goes tho.

Itzik
10-15-13, 14:10
I bought a 9mm shield about a month ago and after putting 400 rounds of 124gr ball and 100 rounds of winchester 147gr ranger T and having roughly 17 failures to eject combined with the lack of magazine availability i decided to sell the pistol. The size was good and the trigger was decent as far as an m&p goes tho.

You should have sent it back to S&W before taking any losses by selling it, unless you sold it for as much as you paid for it.;)

G4PI09
10-15-13, 14:14
Itzik- i didnt do too bad, lost a little bit but traded it for another gen4 19:D

I will say for being a small pistol, the accuracy was very impressive and like i said i was pretty happy with the trigger compared to the other m&p's i have owned

Itzik
10-15-13, 14:22
Itzik- i didnt do too bad, lost a little bit but traded it for another gen4 19:D

I will say for being a small pistol, the accuracy was very impressive and like i said i was pretty happy with the trigger compared to the other m&p's i have owned

I agree, I shoot my Shield as good if not better then all my other guns, I like the trigger and it seems I got lucky, the gun has been 100% reliable for me and keeping my fingers crossed hope it continues to be so.:smile:

MrSmitty
10-15-13, 17:34
I have a little input so I'll contribute it. I've been carrying a FS M&P for a year and half now OWB. I'm skinny guy so I have a lot of trouble concealing. I fought with a G19 for a long time before that to no avail. The need to CC had recently presented itself more than ever so I was in a bit of a conundrum. I've wanted a Shield for a while so I caved in. Sept. mfg so there's no trigger safety issues at all with it. It shoots exceptionally well for its size, I don't have much trouble controlling it with my big hands even with the 7 rd mag in. I ran it very hard for a while, no issues so I installed an Apex kit and 10-8 sights and now it's my CCW. It's all about what you're willing to give up to carry what you want to carry. I couldn't conceal a G19 for the life of me unless I wanted to wear an outer garment year round and a 9C wasn't much better.

Medic218
10-16-13, 00:27
Might be hard to find but if you can find one you should highly consider the Walther PPS.

Itzik
10-16-13, 00:40
Might be hard to find but if you can find one you should highly consider the Walther PPS.

I know some that like it but I did not like it when I shot it. On the other hand liked the Shield the first time I shot it so I got one and it has not disappointed me.

Medic218
10-16-13, 01:27
I know some that like it but I did not like it when I shot it. On the other hand liked the Shield the first time I shot it so I got one and it has not disappointed me.

I'd love to get my hands on a Shield sometime to compare.
The PPS feels great and fits MY hand well, points naturally for ME so shooting it is a breeze, and I am accurate with it.
Different strokes for different folks. Good thing there are so many options out there. I went though a few different guns before I found this gem.

Beat Trash
10-16-13, 08:24
I owned a PPS when I bought my Shield last year. I did a bit of side by side shooting with the two guns.

The PPS was slightly more accurate. But just slightly. I preferred the trigger on the Shield (This was a stock trigger, Apex hard sear has improved it even more).

I liked the PPS, but I liked the Shield a pit more. So I sold off the PPS.

But after shooting both together, my personal opinion is they are very close in performance.

Itzik
10-16-13, 18:01
I can't remember but isn't the PPS a tad bigger then the Shield?
I like the trigger on the Shield very much and I shoot it great in combat drills, it also points dead on for me to a point that it surprised me when I shot it the first time and each time after that.

crusher613
10-18-13, 19:27
I was in a similar position a while back and chose the M&P 9c for two reasons. I have large hands (LG size gloves) and the shield seemed small in my hand. It felt too then. I went with the 9c because it felt better and allowed for more rounds to be carried. I currently use a kydex owb holster but have an incog on order.

Gibs68
10-19-13, 08:30
A vote for the M&Pc series here. I've got the 40c version and use the large grips. Easily concealable with an iwb holster. I did have multiple FTE and a couple stovepipes the first 100 rounds thru the pistol but after a good cleaning and some well placed gunslick haven't had a problem since. Accurate, fits my hands well with the grip change and the recoil is soft for a .40. Like it so much I'm considering getting the 9c as another CCW and dedicated workbench hideout piece.

EB-SF
10-26-13, 09:53
I have both a M&P 9C and a Shield in .40 S&W and they are both awesome pistols. Having said that, I still find myself carrying either a Glock 23 or 19 in a Raven Concealment IWB holster more than anything else.

dabbie
10-26-13, 09:58
I mean, you can't manage to fire it? :-) Guys with little real information "like" mini-revolvers, and certainly those are cramped to hold/fire. So are the .25 autos, but people manage to do it. Now, I can see a gun being too large for some people's hand, can't properly grip it or use the proper trigger technique, but "too small"? Maybe if you have hands like Lou Ferrigno.

gunnut284
10-26-13, 14:46
I have a Shield and find that I rarely have an occasion where the smaller/thinner size is enough to matter over my Glock 26. If you are pocket or ankle carrying then it may help but for IWB or OWB I would go with the M&P9c. I'm probably going to give my Shield to my wife since she likes it and get a Compact.

RWH24
10-26-13, 15:24
It is usually a given, barrel length is not the problem, it is the grip size and shape that interferes with concealing easily.

brown3345
10-26-13, 16:56
Thanks for all the info people. I'll get with Grant this week and set something up with him.

anotherdaze1
10-29-13, 16:45
I wanted the M&P Shield 40 (http://www.pistol.com/smith-and-wesson-inc/firearms/handguns/pistols/180020-shield-40-3.1in-6plus1-7plus1-syngrip-blackffs/) for a while but couldn't get it back in November because of our stupid legislation. I was able to get a SA XDs and really enjoy it. My friend has the M&P Shield 40 and I get to shoot it every once in a while. I really like it but personally I feel that the 9mm Shield shoots better. I guess it's up to you as to how much power you're wanting to push out of the barrel :)

Striker
10-29-13, 19:52
If trigger pull LENGTH is your issue, then the FSS might be the ticket, mated to a manual safety like that on your 1911.

This is what I would think as well. M&P 9C, thumb safety, FSS kit. Closest to what you're use to and should eliminate the long trigger pull issue.

fivestar51
10-30-13, 06:07
I owned a M&P40c awhile back and used it for off duty carry. My issue with it was I shot my G26 better in every regard. Size being about equal, I kept the pistol I was better with. Nothing wrong with the 40c; I just couldn't warm up to it.

Earlier this year however, I picked up a 40cal Shield, and its my carry gun now. The Shield simply disappears when I carry it. As small as the G26 is, there were times when I found myself not carrying due to the bulk. For me, the Shield has really been a game changer.

I shoot the Shield better than I did the 40c, but still not as good as my G26. Im not a Glock fan by any means, but I shoot them well enough. I just spend a bit more practice time with the Shield to compensate. One other caveat is that our required carry ammo for 9mm is 127+P+. Honestly, it feels almost identical to a .40cal round. I basically decided to go the route of the bigger hole, recoil being the same.

mdrums
10-30-13, 20:35
I currently have a Shiled for the last year. I also had a M&P 9c.

I'm 6'5" tall medium build and the Shield Cary's more comfortably than the 9c.

The 9c shot great but the Shield does too...just as accurate and no more real noticeable kick either.

Slpeod
10-30-13, 21:27
Shield has been completely reliable and easy to shoot apprx 650 rds and not a single issue. I have since sold my Kahr PM9 and my SW9c - the size and conceal-ability is optimum for me at 6'1" and 180#. Just carry the 8rd extra slim mag and I feel outside my vehicle I really haven't lost that much - since I never carried an extra 9c mag.

I also opted to keep my trigger stock as a friend has the AEK installed and stock mine was better - stock triggers are hit and miss. I would suggest shooting it before purchasing a kit.

britishtq
10-30-13, 21:40
Shield 100%

GUNSLINGER733
10-30-13, 23:39
I really like my shield. It's accurate and handles well. It is light and has a functional safety that's easy to get to. I just got it the weekend and carried it everyday since. It surprised me how well it shot to be a pocket pistol. On a side note of another pocket pistol that I shot and is extremely accurate would be a springfield xds. 1.5" group at 25 yards. I've only shot the 45 version. If I would ever replaced shield the xds would be its replacement.

WickedWillis
10-31-13, 10:28
I really like my shield. It's accurate and handles well. It is light and has a functional safety that's easy to get to. I just got it the weekend and carried it everyday since. It surprised me how well it shot to be a pocket pistol. On a side note of another pocket pistol that I shot and is extremely accurate would be a springfield xds. 1.5" group at 25 yards. I've only shot the 45 version. If I would ever replaced shield the xds would be its replacement.

You really had that kind of accuracy at 25 yards with the XDS? The only time I have shot one my groups were terrible. I put three mags through it and was unable to have a tight group at roughly 10 yards. I did not measure but I can assume it was larger than a 4" group.

Comparing the M&P 9C and the Shield, There is no comparison IMO. The Shield will do everything the 9C will do and better in every aspect except capacity. The C's IMO are the worst that the M&P's have to offer. Awkward size, no real advantage over similar guns like the Glock 26, and the Kahr series. You will not be disappointed with the Shield.

GUNSLINGER733
10-31-13, 10:38
Yes. This particular xds was awesome. My shield has been great also. I polished all the internals too which made the trigger feel better.

I think the op will be really happy with the shield. I picked my 9mm shield up for $389.95+tax. ($416.##) Eds Gun Shop in Vass, NC Which is the cheapest I've found.

WickedWillis
10-31-13, 10:41
Yes. This particular xds was awesome. My shield has been great also. I polished all the internals too which made the trigger feel better.

I think the op will be really happy with the shield. I picked my 9mm shield up for $389.95+tax. ($416.##) Eds Gun Shop in Vass, NC Which is the cheapest I've found.

Yeah the Shield is very well priced. I was out the door at my LGS for just under $400 after tax.

ra2bach
10-31-13, 13:21
Comparing the M&P 9C and the Shield, There is no comparison IMO. The Shield will do everything the 9C will do and better in every aspect except capacity. The C's IMO are the worst that the M&P's have to offer. Awkward size, no real advantage over similar guns like the Glock 26, and the Kahr series. You will not be disappointed with the Shield.

disagree. the Compact has the advantage of interchangeable size grips, allowing Crimson Trace laser grips to be a direct fit, a rail for attaching a light (or Gripod :D ), and has higher capacity with the ability to use the FS 17 rd mags.

with the 7 rd mag, the Shield is the same height as the Compact with 12. but with the 8 rd mag it is taller than the Compact with the 12 AND the +2 base plate (total 14 rds)

it has no light attachment rail because the barrel is 1/2" shorter but barrel length is never a component in concealability.

and it has that stupid safety. I admit I was first attracted to it because of the safety. I don't like to wear a striker fired gun IWB (Glock Leg), so I use it as an "administrative" safety to holster the gun and then remove when it is in the holster. But I have found it to be on when I wanted it off etc.. Some folks have even removed it altogether but I don't want to do that.

the ONLY benefit of the Shield is it's thinner but some people immediately put grip sleeves on it. I am not one who does this though because, well, that's the ONLY reason it is better than the Compact... :D

weggy
10-31-13, 15:41
I bought an M&P 9mm several months ago, and I really like the gun. It fits my hand better than any other pistol I have. However the factory trigger on this gun is the worse pos that I have ever seen in my 45 years of gun ownership. the fact that it is necessary to spend $165.00 for an after market trigger to remedy this annoys the hell out of me. Smith ought to be ashamed to let this kind of garbage out of their house. Does anyone ever test fire these triggers. They must have Parkinson's disease.:mad:

WickedWillis
10-31-13, 15:47
disagree. the Compact has the advantage of interchangeable size grips, allowing Crimson Trace laser grips to be a direct fit, a rail for attaching a light (or Gripod :D ), and has higher capacity with the ability to use the FS 17 rd mags.

with the 7 rd mag, the Shield is the same height as the Compact with 12. but with the 8 rd mag it is taller than the Compact with the 12 AND the +2 base plate (total 14 rds)

it has no light attachment rail because the barrel is 1/2" shorter but barrel length is never a component in concealability.

and it has that stupid safety. I admit I was first attracted to it because of the safety. I don't like to wear a striker fired gun IWB (Glock Leg), so I use it as an "administrative" safety to holster the gun and then remove when it is in the holster. But I have found it to be on when I wanted it off etc.. Some folks have even removed it altogether but I don't want to do that.

the ONLY benefit of the Shield is it's thinner but some people immediately put grip sleeves on it. I am not one who does this though because, well, that's the ONLY reason it is better than the Compact... :D

Fair enough. Thank you for sharing your opinion. Also, I forgot to add, the trigger on the Shield is miles better than the other M&P's.

WickedWillis
10-31-13, 15:48
I bought an M&P 9mm several months ago, and I really like the gun. It fits my hand better than any other pistol I have. However the factory trigger on this gun is the worse pos that I have ever seen in my 45 years of gun ownership. the fact that it is necessary to spend $165.00 for an after market trigger to remedy this annoys the hell out of me. Smith ought to be ashamed to let this kind of garbage out of their house. Does anyone ever test fire these triggers. They must have Parkinson's disease.:mad:

I agree completely. They really are some of THE worst striker fired triggers ever.

GUNSLINGER733
10-31-13, 22:44
I really don't see why people bitch about the safety. I like it. It's not in the way. Don't use it if you don't like it. If it didn't have people would still bitch.

It doesn't have a rail. The shield is filling a gap in the m&p line up. It's a great pocket pistol. You have a (C) version if you want more capacity and a rail.

The shield has a crisp trigger and handles great. I personally wish my full size m&p 9 had a stock trigger like my shield along with the safety. But this is my opinion. Take it however you'd like. Either way you're buying S&W and both are great weapons.

MSteele
10-31-13, 23:04
I was finally able to purchase a 9mm Shield and the first thing I was going to do was install the Apex kit and sights. Took it to the range and the trigger is actually crisp. A lot better then the stock trigger on my M&P 45. I find it's size perfect for EDC, then again I carried an M&P 45 for a few years. It's amazing the different types of clothes I can wear again.

ra2bach
11-01-13, 16:42
I really don't see why people bitch about the safety. I like it. It's not in the way. Don't use it if you don't like it. If it didn't have people would still bitch.

It doesn't have a rail. The shield is filling a gap in the m&p line up. It's a great pocket pistol. You have a (C) version if you want more capacity and a rail.

The shield has a crisp trigger and handles great. I personally wish my full size m&p 9 had a stock trigger like my shield along with the safety. But this is my opinion. Take it however you'd like. Either way you're buying S&W and both are great weapons.

the safety on this gun is not like the safety on a 1911. it's not a paddle, barely more than a nub, and would not be as sure as those like on single action pistols. some people want to simply disregard the safety, or like myself, only use it as an "administrative" matter. The problem with that is without a conscious protocol of operation, it gets ignored and can sometimes be applied when it's not meant to be. this results in a tug/no bang which is no bueno...

I would prefer it to be either a true ambidextrous paddle safety, or none at all like the other M&P pistols...

StrikerFired
11-01-13, 17:58
M&P9c is a great pistol. I've been carrying mine for at least three years, and the only upgrades I made was to send it in for Trijicon HD sights and to Doug at ATEi for a trigger job.

Mike169
11-03-13, 08:04
the safety on this gun is not like the safety on a 1911. it's not a paddle, barely more than a nub, and would not be as sure as those like on single action pistols. some people want to simply disregard the safety, or like myself, only use it as an "administrative" matter. The problem with that is without a conscious protocol of operation, it gets ignored and can sometimes be applied when it's not meant to be. this results in a tug/no bang which is no bueno...

I would prefer it to be either a true ambidextrous paddle safety, or none at all like the other M&P pistols...

This x1000

EB-SF
11-03-13, 10:35

This is also my concern about the safety and its why I haven't carried my Shield yet. I'm a long time Glock carrier and I am concerned that in time of stress I go back to 20 years of training and there is no bang because I have the Shield on me and the safety got applied somehow. I don't think my brain would even cover that in a failure. Its always been tap, rack, bang....

I do carry my M&P 9C because it doesn't have an external safety.

MegademiC
11-03-13, 11:19
Some thoughts on the discussion.

The shield safety can be removed, and if disengaged, will not go on with a decent holster. It goes off easy and on difficult enough I would be mindful, but not worry about it.

The shield is a subcompact. We should not be comparing round count reliability to a full sized. It's going to wear out quicker, and require more frequent maintenance. On that note it's a niche gun. I suggest people get a full sized or g19 sized gun for most shooting and training, and a shield sized gun for niche carry when the other wont do. IMO the shield is great, only comparable to a pps, but $200 cheaper. IMO m&p compacts are too small for everyday, but too big for those times u can't be made.

Obviously my opinions are based on my experience and body type, just sharing for consideration.