PDA

View Full Version : I'm too skinny to CCW?

matemike
10-14-13, 21:44
Carrying is ALWAYS uncomfortable...

I don't mean mentally. I carry one in the chamber and I'll go everywhere I legally can while CCW'ing.

I mean it is physically uncomfortable. I simply can't find a setup to carry comfortably for any length of time.
I'm 6'1 and 160 pounds soaking wet. I'm thin and bony to say the least; especially around the hips and waist.

I have a G19 and it is by far my favorite handgun. I've tried carrying sevaral different ways.

At first I went for a popular set up and bought a Comp-Tac minoutar IWB holster. This setup proved to be too bulky for my slim, straight-line hips. It seems the holster takes up too much real estate around my waist band, causing my belt to have a gaping area to curve back to my actual waist line. Yes, even carrying at 7-8 o'clock. (I'm left handed too)

So I tried a less spoken of holster that seems to take up less waistband area. I tried a Galco summer comfort. This holster still seemed too bulky, and like no matter what, it just wants to tug at my belt and pull everything down. I had to keep my belt unbearibly tight to keep everything from sliding down my "telephone pole" smooth waist line.

I then figured it's the belt's fault. You need a good foundation to build a good house. You need a good foundation (belt) to carry a gun. I went with an over the counter 5.11 thick nylon belt from a cop store. The clerk was ex leo and he highly recommended it. It looked just like other popular belts I've seen talked about on the internet, figured it'll do the trick. Nope, still need to keep it crazy tight to keep things from falling, sliding and slipping.

I went so far as to blame the G19 for just being too big, bulky and heavy. I sought and found a S&W Shield and ordered a Raven Phantom kydex holster.

The Raven holster came in and I was quite impressed. It is by far the slimmest holster I have come across. It's literally millimeters thicker than the gun itself. I'm thinking this was the solution. Still though, similar problems. The holster, although it is slim, takes up too much real estate around my 30" waist. And although it's a slim and lightweight gun, a loaded firearm hanging onto my waist line just does not want to hang easily or unnoticed by me.

I've tried wearing the guns lower on the clips; deeper inside my pants. This requires the belt to wrap around more area of the holster and gun, thus causing tight and weird angles in the belt itself.

I've tried wearing the guns much higher so the belt wraps around less bulk. But with the weight vertically higher the gun wants to flop over, no matter how tight I make the belt.

Of course I've tried everything else in between. My only hope is carrying inside my jacket pockets during winter.

Are there any other skinny guys out there who have carrying issues? Anyone overcome them? Please explain.

Thanks for you time.

youngAR
10-14-13, 21:50
I feel you brother. I'm 6ft and 175lbs. and have a hard time concealing guns in the summer due to tighter fitting clothing. I just don't like loose clothes. Have you tried appendix carry?

Pi3
10-14-13, 21:52
Suspenders.

pingdork
10-14-13, 22:00
I'm not as thin as I once was. 6'1" 205 now, but I can never carry my g19 unless wearing something a little bulkier than a tshirt. I usually wear a hoodie here in WA. I've tried various positions as well. Least conspicuous being 1-2 o'clock. Still prints a lil too much for my liking with a tshirt. Got a snubby for the tshirt days.
4-5 o'clock works well for me too as long as I don't bend to pick up anything.

LightningFast
10-14-13, 22:12
I'm nearly the same size as you and have ZERO issues carrying a full-size handgun AIWB.

matemike
10-14-13, 22:14
I'm nearly the same size as you and have ZERO issues carrying a full-size handgun AIWB.

Would you explain your setup?

JulyAZ
10-14-13, 22:29
I'm 5'8 130 lbs. the best way I've found is at my 5 o'clock with a Galco summer comfort.

LightningFast
10-14-13, 22:31
Would you explain your setup?

M&P 9 FS AIWB in a JM Custom Kydex holster. Clinch pick ~11:00, and spare mag in a comp-tac carrier at ~9:00.

Living in the midwest, it's even easier as I get to wear sweatshirts over my gear. But, it's not really any harder in summer. Only hard part there is the OWB mag.

I have a Shield 9 that I thought would get used during summer months, but turns out I don't need it. The excellent JM Custom holster conceals my full-size guns extremely well.

For my body, I've found holsters that ride higher work better. The low rides are doable, but often leave a more noticeable bump at the top of my weapon's grip.

Voodoo_Man
10-14-13, 22:34
Holsters make a huge difference, but clothing choices do as well.

Do you buy one or two size larger pants or did you just put the gun IWB with the holster in the pants you normally wear/wore before you carry?

ECain18
10-14-13, 22:45
Ive been carrying a glock 19 in a crossbreed supertuck. Im slightly larger than you, but its so comfortable i dont even notice it. If i stick a glock 26 in it, i forget its on. Great holster, but i cut mine to fit slightly better.

polymorpheous
10-14-13, 22:56
I'm 5'11" and 170lbs.
I carry a G19 in a RCS Phantom at 4 o'clock no problem.

sierra 223
10-14-13, 22:58
You have to have a good holster and a good belt.

But you also have to buy larger sized clothes to make it all work.

Itzik
10-14-13, 23:28
Carry in a good Kydex or leather holster Outside the waistband with a solid 1.5 inch wide leather or Kydex/Leather combo belt.
I know girls that are much skinnier then you that carry 24/7 with out any problem just wear a lose shirt, vest, sweater or jacket over it, it does not have to be IWB.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-14-13, 23:33
I really think you ought to check out the G Code INCOG. The "tactical fuzz" keeps it from moving around even with the slightest pressure from the waist band. Plus, the extreme cants that you can play with allow some creative but comfortable ways to carry. And really, it doesnt cost that much and you could easily get what you paid for it if you didnt like it.

Rockhopper
10-15-13, 01:42
I'm not as thin as I once was. 6'1" 205 now, but I can never carry my g19 unless wearing something a little bulkier than a tshirt. I usually wear a hoodie here in WA.

funny. i am 6'1". 205 lbs. also from washington. and i carry a g19 every day without issue, no matter the clothing i wear. :ph34r:

polymorpheous
10-15-13, 01:49
I think you need to ditch the IWB if you want carry to be more comfortable.
The Raven with the OWB loops conceals great at 4 o'clock with a sturdy gun belt.

Don't wear your pants low, wear your belt tight. Buckle should be about 2-3" below the belly button.
Find that sweet spot where the curve at the pistol's backstrap hugs the curve at your waist.

I can carry a G19 like this under a plain t-shirt.

Trajan
10-15-13, 07:21
Appendix carry is your answer here.
Do be careful on how tight you tighten your belt. You can get bruises on your hips.

I also carry my reload(s) AIWB at 11-11:30.

walkin' trails
10-15-13, 07:23
I used to think that an IWB had to be of the thinnest material possible to keep from printing. Then I bought a Milt Sparks SSII for a full size M&P 45 and found this to be the most comfortable IWB I've ever had. I also bought a Milt Sparks belt. I am built similar to you although I'm getting a little fatter and realize a belt won't cure everything. Suspenders are an option. I recently got a Supertuck for my G26 and am warming up to it's qualities. The 5.11 belts are okay, but you need to ensure you're getting one a bit larger for IWB. AIWB is also a consideration, although finding a comfortable holster is a quest. I'm still looking. The JM version looks good, but is pricy. The one good thing about selecting a high dollar custom rig is that it usually works well and will last a long time. And there's also the ankle rig...

bigredneck61088
10-15-13, 07:26
Try appendix carry and a thin holster, i'm 5'11'' 160... i carry a kahr cm9 with 7 round extended mag, in a black center tactical iwb kydex. It hides well even in tighter fitting american eagle shirts and such.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Arik
10-15-13, 07:55
Im the same. 6'1 165lbs. Skinny, bony, left handed and carry a G19.

I wear form fitting clothing and carry in a Galco King Tuck. Get yourself pants that are one or two sizes larger. Try a holster that spreads out the weight more and blends in the outline of the gun. I also had that summer special holster and didnt care for it. The loops were too close together and caused all the weight to be centered in that spot. Try carying at about the 8 o'clock position, just behind the hip bone.

shakazulu12
10-15-13, 08:47
I'm 5'11 and currently 155 (normally 165 though). I have carried full size 1911's, M&P 9 FS, G19's etc. The only one that was tricky out of the group was the G19 oddly enough. I generally use Milt Sparks VMII's or any of the hybrid clones of a Crossbreed. For some reason with the G19, the rear corner of the slide would print a lot and I had to switch up to a full kydex holster. It just didn't work with me in any of the leather ones I tried.

That said I always get my pants a size larger than normal, and I use a very sturdy gunbelt. Though off the top of my head, I can't remember where I got it. I do remember I had to send in measurements for it though. I also tend to wear form fitting types of clothing. You just need to experiment more with carry position and the equipment you are using. Everyone has a sweet spot.

Psalms144.1
10-15-13, 09:05
Mike - a couple of things, most of which have been touched on already:

First - ditch IWB. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you (6'1", 230#), but I'm still uncomfortable with most IWB holsters. If you feel like you HAVE TO carry IWB, get pants/shorts at least one size larger, and get the THINNEST holster you can. I use the FIST #1K "ultrathin" kydex for all my IWB, and it's the only IWB I use that's truly comfortable. I have tried AIWB several times, with no success, but I've admittedly never used a dedicated AIWB holster, so that's probably a big point...

Secondly, different guns conceal differently. In my experience (about 15 years of carry concealed worldwide now), the Glock requires a minimal "cant" to conceal well, without the back of the slide "poking" through the cover garment. The holsters that worked best for me for concealing the Glock were all in the 5-10 degree cant range, and worn with the front edge of the slide just BARELY behind the "point" of my hip. Other guns, like the P30 and the Sig P226 I used to carry, conceal better with more cant, and further back behind the point of the hip. My personal favorite holster for concealment and comfort with the G19 is the Alessi CQC, a superb leather OWB.

Last, clothing choice is important. Everyone likes to talk about how they carry a Desert Eagle under an untucked UnderArmour compression shirt with their latest whiz-bang holster, but, the truth is, most of us can't. I spent a LOT of time in climates that were hot & humid, hot & dry, or hot & f-in' HOT, and vests just didn't work there. What did the trick for me was discovering Woolrich Elite concealed carry shirts - super thin, lightweight, moisture whicking, flat bottom shirts that don't look "sloppy" worn untucked - because they're designed to be worn that way. There are other options as well, but these have worked out the best for me.

Best of luck to you!

Regards,

Kevin

CAVDOC
10-15-13, 09:10
Modifying your wardrobe and life is the price we pay for ccw. Also consider other options like ankle holsters. It offers a very low profile carry method for something j frame size or even glock 26. ( I did know a fairly big guy who ankles a glock 29!) and when compared to tuckable and covered up belt holsters with proper training and practice loses almost nothing in draw time and is really useful when you sit in a car or at a desk most of the day

jared91
10-15-13, 09:13
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/15/7ajysy8y.jpg
Appendix carry is your answer here.
Do be careful on how tight you tighten your belt. You can get bruises on your hips.

I also carry my reload(s) AIWB at 11-11:30.

+1 for appendix carry. I carry an M&P9 fs with tlr1 and HK USP9 FS this way.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/15/ypejyduv.jpg
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Itzik
10-15-13, 10:22
I agree appendix carry works for very thin people but it would also work with a close fitting holster and belt if you are willing to cover it with a shirt like the one in the picture. I will give appendix the advantage on a fast draw over any other method of carry.

Itzik
10-15-13, 10:35
I am carrying for over 40 years and carrying and concealing is two different things. each person is different and their comfort level, the location the gun sits, the clothes they wear at work or otherwise is different so one method is not fitting for everybody.
you have to dress around the gun and not vice versa.

I agree with pant sizes two size bigger, I agree with untucked shirts (but they will not work around an office environment), I agree with light jackets, vests, sweaters, suits if you have to, all I am saying is unless someone gave me a hug and put her hand on my gun they would never know I am carrying and in 40 years no body has ever found out, it takes a little effort to conceal a gun but it beats the alternative.

jared91
10-15-13, 10:40
I agree appendix carry works for very thin people but it would also work with a close fitting holster and belt if you are willing to cover it with a shirt like the one in the picture. I will give appendix the advantage on a fast draw over any other method of carry.

I'm actually kinda fluffy. 5'9" and 215lbs. Its a tad bit uncomfortable, but you get used to it.

Marler5811
10-15-13, 11:05
Appendix Carry is where it's at. I'm 5'10", 165. I carry a Glock 19 in a Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 daily. I sometimes forget it's even there.

S/F

Joe

pingdork
10-15-13, 11:15
Appendix Carry is where it's at. I'm 5'10", 165. I carry a Glock 19 in a Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 daily. I sometimes forget it's even there.

S/F

Joe

Driving too? That's where aiwb really bothers me. After several holsters I'm settled on a bladetech (kliptster???) it took a while to get over the anxiety of my g19 pointing at my junk and/or femoral artery while sitting.

jared91
10-15-13, 11:44
Driving too? That's where aiwb really bothers me. After several holsters I'm settled on a bladetech (kliptster???) it took a while to get over the anxiety of my g19 pointing at my junk and/or femoral artery while sitting.

I kind of point the muzzle "down shaft" if you catch my drift. Sits in leg pit

HeliPilot
10-15-13, 12:02

I agree with this 100%. All in all you need to have confidence in your weapon or why carry at all. I have carried three different pistols in many different holster setups. At 5'10" and 165 I'm not bulky, that being said I have never bought clothes a size larger to accommodate my CCW. My primary setup for a while was a govt model 1911 in a Crossbreed IWB supertuck deluxe. Overall this setup was very comfortable considering the size and weight of the pistol. Placing the holster at about 5oclock I can easily conceal the 1911 with nothing more than shorts and a tshirt as the pistol lies flat across my back. Aside from the obvious shortcoming of weight, the biggest issue I had was the length of slide when attempting to sit down. Unless I was sitting as if my back was tied to a 2x4 the slide was very uncomfortable. My remedy for this was to switch my govt model to an officer model instead. This setup works great but I opted for lighter weight and more capacity.

Enter my newest CCW a S&W M&P 9C. I currently carry this pistol everywhere in AIWB. Unfortunately I have no idea what brand holster I have, some no name IWB similar to Blackhawks model except mine had a stout metal belt clip as opposed to Blackhawks cheap plastic one. This setup is working great for me thus far however I plan on upgrading my holster to either a Raven or HSP. It is my opinion that returning a CCW to your holster quickly is just as important as being able to draw quickly, my current holster is too flimsy for this.

All in all I'm very pleased with the M&P in AIWB. As quoted above I'm a little uneasy about my pistol pointing in such a valuable direction, however if I didn't trust this pistol I wouldn't be carrying it. So long as proper weapon manipulation and safety practices are followed I'll be good to go. Good luck in your search.

Itzik
10-15-13, 12:18
I will not and can not carry appendix, even at my age my well functioning family jewels are way too valuable to me.
The problem with appendix carry is not the gun sitting in a proper holster and going of by itself, it is if you are not experienced and have not practiced it thousands of times you might put one in yourself on the draw if you get excited and overstressed in a real shooting situation.;)
But appendix is still the fastest draw assuming you can dress for it because it would not work in a tucked shirt or suit situation that is why I said to each person his own.:)

Trajan
10-15-13, 14:27

AIWB is awesome for driving. The grip doesn't bump into your bucket seats, and you can draw while seated.

I have noticed that it seems quite a bit of people are AIWBing directly at 12 o'clock. Not sure how that would work unless you wear your pants up at your chest. The barrel/slide should go in the "dead space" between your leg and pelvis.

It really is the most comfortable way to carry a firearm IMO.

Itzik
10-15-13, 14:57
AIWB is awesome for driving. The grip doesn't bump into your bucket seats, and you can draw while seated.

I have noticed that it seems quite a bit of people are AIWBing directly at 12 o'clock. Not sure how that would work unless you wear your pants up at your chest. The barrel/slide should go in the "dead space" between your leg and pelvis.

It really is the most comfortable way to carry a firearm IMO.

For the grip not to bump the bucket seats position the gun at 3 o'clock.
You would not feel it is comfortable to carry a gun AIWB if you had a belly that was pushing the grip out and you had to wear a suit because you work in an office or Bank or something like that.;)
AIWB has its place with certain conditions and attire and work place requirements but it does not work for everybody.

Trajan
10-15-13, 15:39
For the grip not to bump the bucket seats position the gun at 3 o'clock.
You would not feel it is comfortable to carry a gun AIWB if you had a belly that was pushing the grip out and you had to wear a suit because you work in an office or Bank or something like that.;)
AIWB has its place with certain conditions and attire and work place requirements but it does not work for everybody.

A G17 at 2:30-3 puts the magazine inline with my back. Even when I was 200, I still had that problem.

I carried AIWB when I was fat. If anything, just made concealment better. Could hide a G17 in a VG 2 with just shorts and a t-shirt.

As far as pushing the grip out, I recommend taking a look at AIWB holsters with a tucking feature that pushes the grip back in. Most modern designs have this feature.

Itzik
10-15-13, 17:12
A G17 at 2:30-3 puts the magazine inline with my back. Even when I was 200, I still had that problem.

I carried AIWB when I was fat. If anything, just made concealment better. Could hide a G17 in a VG 2 with just shorts and a t-shirt.

As far as pushing the grip out, I recommend taking a look at AIWB holsters with a tucking feature that pushes the grip back in. Most modern designs have this feature.

Thank you but I carry at 3 o'clock and I am used to it and I don't plan on changing, if AIWB works for you I say great it still is the fastest draw you can have hoping people don't shoot the family jewels while drawing. That is why I said each has his preferred method and practice makes perfect.:)

MrSmitty
10-15-13, 17:15
Don't wear your pants low, wear your belt tight. Buckle should be about 2-3" below the belly button.
Find that sweet spot where the curve at the pistol's backstrap hugs the curve at your waist.

^ This was the key for me. 6'0" 175lbs. I usually prefer slimmer for clothing and used to say hell with it and carry my M&P fullsize OWB. I recently picked up a Shield and an MTAC because of the growing need to carry concealed. I tweaked my attire just a little bit and I let the Shield ride high into my side at 1700 with enough cant to get rid of the grip print. Now I don't really feel like I'm being held back by anything, I forget it's there....

MegademiC
10-15-13, 17:37
Another vote aiwb. I'm 6' 160, and carry an mp full size no problem, with anything more than a wifebeater. It's way more comfortable than a 4:00 carry also. I use a vanguard 2 from raven and it's perfect.

Itzik
10-15-13, 17:46
Another vote aiwb. I'm 6' 160, and carry an mp full size no problem, with anything more than a wifebeater. It's way more comfortable than a 4:00 carry also. I use a vanguard 2 from raven and it's perfect.

Of topic but I don't get why an undershirt is called a wife beater, I wear one all the time and I have never beat my wife in 43 years of marriage. My shirts stay cleaner and less sweaty because of my undershirt and my gun does not get wet in hot days.:smile:

FAB45
10-15-13, 17:52
You bony gents need to hit the gym and bulk up a little.

86 slo-vo
10-15-13, 17:54
I'm around the same size 5'11" and about 155.

I carry 18ish hours a day and never really notice it, and I work construction.

My daily carry is an M&P shield 9mm in a comp-tac CTAC at 4o'clock.

I tried and tried the "hybrid" holsters but none worked for me. Going to a full kydex with a skinny gun was the game changer.

Itzik
10-15-13, 18:01
You bony gents need to hit the gym and bulk up a little.

They would become like me 5:9 and 216 pounds of solid muscle.:lol:

86 slo-vo
10-15-13, 18:09
I will say I like AIWB....but not while at work where I spend a lot of time bent over. After a while the back of the slide would start cutting into me.

mikeith
10-15-13, 18:55
i'm 5'11" 160lbs. my G19 is my carry gun. raven vg2 is what i carry with 99% of the time carried aiwb. i have a incog also but its not as easy to dress to although i haven't tried carrying it without the second clip my IDEAL holster would be the incog without that flap for the second clip ever even cut and rolled out.

SiGfever
10-15-13, 21:47
Mike - a couple of things, most of which have been touched on already:

First - ditch IWB. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you (6'1", 230#), but I'm still uncomfortable with most IWB holsters. If you feel like you HAVE TO carry IWB, get pants/shorts at least one size larger, and get the THINNEST holster you can. I use the FIST #1K "ultrathin" kydex for all my IWB, and it's the only IWB I use that's truly comfortable. I have tried AIWB several times, with no success, but I've admittedly never used a dedicated AIWB holster, so that's probably a big point...

Secondly, different guns conceal differently. In my experience (about 15 years of carry concealed worldwide now), the Glock requires a minimal "cant" to conceal well, without the back of the slide "poking" through the cover garment. The holsters that worked best for me for concealing the Glock were all in the 5-10 degree cant range, and worn with the front edge of the slide just BARELY behind the "point" of my hip. Other guns, like the P30 and the Sig P226 I used to carry, conceal better with more cant, and further back behind the point of the hip. My personal favorite holster for concealment and comfort with the G19 is the Alessi CQC, a superb leather OWB.

Last, clothing choice is important. Everyone likes to talk about how they carry a Desert Eagle under an untucked UnderArmour compression shirt with their latest whiz-bang holster, but, the truth is, most of us can't. I spent a LOT of time in climates that were hot & humid, hot & dry, or hot & f-in' HOT, and vests just didn't work there. What did the trick for me was discovering Woolrich Elite concealed carry shirts - super thin, lightweight, moisture whicking, flat bottom shirts that don't look "sloppy" worn untucked - because they're designed to be worn that way. There are other options as well, but these have worked out the best for me.

Best of luck to you!

Regards,

Kevin
Of all my holsters my Fist #1K ultrathin kydex has become my favorite. It is made for my G19 but my G26 also carries well in it, I will be buying one made for my G26 to shorten it up some for even more comfort. I carry it at approx. 4 o'clock and it conceals well.

Kokopelli
10-15-13, 22:00
Raven Concealment Phantom is my go to holster for plastic pistols. It costs more, but in my mind it's worth it. I carry at 3:00 on a ares ranger belt

I also use a Zlogonle (sp?) pancake if I'm wearing a leather belt..

Carrying is ALWAYS uncomfortable...

I don't mean mentally. I carry one in the chamber and I'll go everywhere I legally can while CCW'ing.

I mean it is physically uncomfortable. I simply can't find a setup to carry comfortably for any length of time.
I'm 6'1 and 160 pounds soaking wet. I'm thin and bony to say the least; especially around the hips and waist.

I have a G19 and it is by far my favorite handgun. I've tried carrying sevaral different ways.

At first I went for a popular set up and bought a Comp-Tac minoutar IWB holster. This setup proved to be too bulky for my slim, straight-line hips. It seems the holster takes up too much real estate around my waist band, causing my belt to have a gaping area to curve back to my actual waist line. Yes, even carrying at 7-8 o'clock. (I'm left handed too)

So I tried a less spoken of holster that seems to take up less waistband area. I tried a Galco summer comfort. This holster still seemed too bulky, and like no matter what, it just wants to tug at my belt and pull everything down. I had to keep my belt unbearibly tight to keep everything from sliding down my "telephone pole" smooth waist line.

I then figured it's the belt's fault. You need a good foundation to build a good house. You need a good foundation (belt) to carry a gun. I went with an over the counter 5.11 thick nylon belt from a cop store. The clerk was ex leo and he highly recommended it. It looked just like other popular belts I've seen talked about on the internet, figured it'll do the trick. Nope, still need to keep it crazy tight to keep things from falling, sliding and slipping.

I went so far as to blame the G19 for just being too big, bulky and heavy. I sought and found a S&W Shield and ordered a Raven Phantom kydex holster.

The Raven holster came in and I was quite impressed. It is by far the slimmest holster I have come across. It's literally millimeters thicker than the gun itself. I'm thinking this was the solution. Still though, similar problems. The holster, although it is slim, takes up too much real estate around my 30" waist. And although it's a slim and lightweight gun, a loaded firearm hanging onto my waist line just does not want to hang easily or unnoticed by me.

I've tried wearing the guns lower on the clips; deeper inside my pants. This requires the belt to wrap around more area of the holster and gun, thus causing tight and weird angles in the belt itself.

I've tried wearing the guns much higher so the belt wraps around less bulk. But with the weight vertically higher the gun wants to flop over, no matter how tight I make the belt.

Of course I've tried everything else in between. My only hope is carrying inside my jacket pockets during winter.

Are there any other skinny guys out there who have carrying issues? Anyone overcome them? Please explain.

Thanks for you time.

samuse
10-16-13, 09:52
I'm the same way. I've been carrying for ten years and have hated every greuling second of it.

When you're 5'8" @ 135, it's impossible to carry anything concealed around the waist and not look like a total slob.

Mexican carry is the only thing I've found comfortable. I use a regular full size 1911, or I have J frame that I can put in a boot with a pocket holster.

I like to look decent, with a tucked in shirt, but a lot of the times I feel that looking like a slob is worth it and I'll carry a 1911 in a Comp-Tac Infidel with a Wilderness CSM belt. Painful, but easy to deal with.

matemike
10-16-13, 10:20
Thank you everyone for the replies thus far. By all means please keep them coming.

What I've gathered is that there IS a system out there that will work for me. It will take time, effort and some money, but it CAN be done. I won't give up until I'm satisfied. Lot's of trial and error in my future.

Good chance I'll start with a new belt.

I've already been trying new configs that were suggested in this thread. Been experimenting with my current raven and comp tac holsters. And while digging out my CCW schwag, I found a holster I bought a long time ago that was sold at my LGS. http://hoffners.com/ultrux-holsters/39-ultrux-itp-j-hook.html Maybe it'll be a secret little gem.

Anyways, through the answers here, I'm finding "more" comfortable ways to conceal. Never put much effort into finding an AIWB placement, but it's helped. Might lose some some ability for a smoother draw. And I'll need to adjust when getting up and sitting down with this arrangement. I fear I might always be fondling it in public every time I sit down and stand up. (please don't read that into a joke) And what about standing at a urinal? Does it become obvious you're carrying if using AIWB? Either way, The Vanguard or VG2 seems like an inexpensive experiment for this test.

Been trying the RCS Phantom with the Shield OWB, and that rides quite well. It takes longer to put it onto my person when getting dressed for the day. Also will lose some conceability. Just need to wear a bigger shirt. I've got plenty. My wife will just have to get used to me not wearing clothes that are as form fitting. With winter coming, this will be easier to do wearing a sweater or jacket.

Thanks again for all the feedback. My hopes are lifted and the search continues. :thank_you2:

Trajan
10-16-13, 11:31
Anyways, through the answers here, I'm finding "more" comfortable ways to conceal. Never put much effort into finding an AIWB placement, but it's helped. Might lose some some ability for a smoother draw. And I'll need to adjust when getting up and sitting down with this arrangement. I fear I might always be fondling it in public every time I sit down and stand up. (please don't read that into a joke) And what about standing at a urinal? Does it become obvious you're carrying if using AIWB? Either way, The Vanguard or VG2 seems like an inexpensive experiment for this test.

I'm not sure how opening your fly makes AIWB obvious.

Making sure your t-shirt isn't past your belt line is a common thing people do, just don't constantly play with it, or it becomes obvious to anyone switched on. This applies to anyone carrying in any position.

The VG 2 is what got me started with AIWB back in Jan of 2012. It's what actually got me to start carrying everywhere.

Itzik
10-16-13, 11:47
I'm not sure how opening your fly makes AIWB obvious.

If the gun comes out of his fly instead of something else then it can become a problem.:lol:
Wearing tight clothing can be a problem also, I hope it is not skinny jeans.;)

Alex V
10-16-13, 14:54
Im in a similar boat. I carry very infrequently since I can only do so when not in my home state... of most of the neighboring states for that matter.

5'-9"/10" and 135lbs.

The G19 with CompTac Appendix carry holster I am good to go in the spring/fall/winter. But in summer, forget about it. The "tight" shirts I own, might as well open carry.

The idea of having a pistol pointed at my nuts did make me a bit uneasy at first, but I am confident in keeping them attached now. Unless I screw up re-holstering or something, I should not have any inadvertent opening in my flesh.

I think I'm going to be getting a 9mm Shield soon just because as I travel for work to free states, It will be easier to conceal in business casual clothing.

Marler5811
10-16-13, 15:28

Yes sir. And I'm on the road quite a bit. It's actually more comfortable with a longer barrel (for me at least). the barrel doesn't dig into my pelvic area as much as say a 26 would. I've never been really concerned as to wear the muzzle is pointing. The trigger guard is fully concealed and protected so it's highly unlikely it'd go bang in your shorts.

TMS951
10-16-13, 15:41
I am 6'3", 165lbs. and ~10% body fat, one of the skinnier ones to respond. (yes I go to the gym, based on genetics I am not going to get any "bigger" unless I live at the gym)

I can carry a Glock 19 iwb in a kydex holster at the 3-4 o'clock area. It don't find it in anyway uncomfortable, leaning forward I do worry about my shirt lifting over the grip (t-Shirt)

I also have a Khar PM9 I carry it the same way and it is much nicer. To me its mostly the weight, and some what the thickness of it make it more comfortable. Overall size makes it easier to conceal.

Servo
10-16-13, 18:02
And what about standing at a urinal? Does it become obvious you're carrying if using AIWB?

I honestly don't think that this will be an issue. Typically other men don't stare in that direction. :D

SiGfever
10-16-13, 18:59
I honestly don't think that this will be an issue. Typically other men don't stare in that direction. :D

And if they do, at least you are armed.

aaron_c
10-16-13, 19:01
6'3" and 160 pounds here, so I have you beat. I have never tried any CCW method other than appendix carry. I carry my Glock 19 in a Vanguard II, and I'm waiting on a Dark Star Gear Glock 17 holster for it (the guy says people tend to prefer the G17 model, even for the G19). Give appendix carry a try - although I've heard many people, including larger people, say the Glock 19 is too big to CCW for them. It doesn't bother me.

YesNoNahYeah
10-16-13, 21:44
OP, have you looked at the new StealthGear Onyx holster? Rather than being leather-backed it's foam/mesh/nylon backed. The reviewer at TheTruthAboutGuns said it was "the most comfortable IWB" he's ever tried. A bit pricey but if it's as comfortable as they say it seems like it would be worth it.

If you do try it, let us know how you like it. I'm even skinnier than you and currently pocket carry a J-Frame. One of the reasons I chose pocket carry was comfort (and concealability). That said I'm considering getting a Shield and carrying it IWB in addition to the J-Frame, and the Onyx is on my radar but I'd be curious to see if it was really that much more comfortable.

svtpwnz
10-17-13, 08:23
Im the same. 6'1 165lbs. Skinny, bony, left handed and carry a G19.

I wear form fitting clothing and carry in a Galco King Tuck. Get yourself pants that are one or two sizes larger. Try a holster that spreads out the weight more and blends in the outline of the gun. I also had that summer special holster and didnt care for it. The loops were too close together and caused all the weight to be centered in that spot. Try carying at about the 8 o'clock position, just behind the hip bone.

I'm 6'1 and 215lbs although not skinny, I found the Galco King Tuck and extra size pants worked very well for me. I have a 33 waist but wear 34s so that my pants and shorts don't squeeze me to death. It really helps a lot since I carry a brick G29sf too.

matemike
10-17-13, 09:57
Does anyone have experience with PJ holsters? Seems like the belt clip design would take up very little waist line real estate and it could be worn either behind the hip bone or appendix.

It's between that and a VG2 to give a try.

My approach is minimal waist line coverage.

I wore my hoffner J-hook and G19 rig AIWB (as suggested) all day yesterday while doing yard work. It got a little more comfortable and less noticeable, only because I was swinging a machette, raking, sweeping and wheeling a wheel barrow all over the place. Those actions took much more attention than the way my belt line was feeling. So it got forgotten about. Cool. But several times I felt my shirt get caught up over the grip and exposed the firearm. Not entirely comforting.

I've been wearing my RCS with S&W Shield OWB around the house today. As well, it's a little more comfy than what I was trying before. But OWB feels like it could pop into view just a tad too easily. Still waiting for some jacket weather this winter.

TMS951
10-17-13, 10:04
I have a PJ holster for my PM9 and love it. It is a much thinner Kydex, which is nice combination with the thin light PM9.

I would not hesitate to buy another PJ holster.

Itzik
10-17-13, 21:59
Many years ago I bought a **** (name withheld as I like very much their other holsters) IWB thin Kydex holster and after a short while it cracked and broke so I am skeptical of thin Kydex.
I am sure they have improved them since then and everybody makes a better product but how thin a holster is does not make a difference to me anymore.

TMS951
10-18-13, 08:31
The PJ holster I have w/ thinner Kydex suits the PM9 very well. IDK if they use the same kydex for something like a Glock 19, I would hope not. I wouldn't seem a good match to me.

CCK
10-18-13, 08:46
funny. i am 6'1". 205 lbs. also from washington. and i carry a g19 every day without issue, no matter the clothing i wear. :ph34r:

6'1" down from 210 to 195 and carry a g17 appendix most days.

arcticlightfighter
10-18-13, 08:52
Jeez, wish I had this problem.

Good advice in this thread, its possible regardless of your physical attributes.

Guinnessman
10-18-13, 09:22
At 6' tall and 175, AIWB works best for me. I have used the JM Custom, CCC Shaggy, and Raven VG2.

I have to wear a larger shirt for AIWB, but there is no reason for me to look like a slob. Button downs and polo's work well for me.

The JM Custom and Shaggy do a great job of tucking in the grip of the pistol. The only trade off is the added bulk of the holster on the belt line.

The Vanguard is great if you need a minimalist holster to suit your needs. Plus, at $30 bucks a pop, it's a cheap way to try AIWB. Good luck!

mikeith
10-18-13, 09:23
It's amazing what taking off the second clip of an incog will do for comfort!

I finally took mine off and have been carrying like this in the aiwb position all day every day for the past 3 days! I highly recommend this setup.

Also, I'm going to modify mine to be similar to the keeper concealment aiwb's foam wedge. This is a very easy mod and does 3 things.
1. Pushes the grip tighter against your stomach for better concealment(I don't recommend this mod if you have a "belly" because I could imagine it would make drawing more difficult.)
2. More comfortable on your stomach where the muzzle sits
3. Moves the muzzle out of alignment with your junk... Just an added piece of mind lol

Again I'm 5'11" 160lbs with a 32" waist for those who didn't get my previous post

Itzik
10-18-13, 10:24
To everybody carrying AIWB or any other way please practice, practice, practice as carrying or concealment with out the practice means nothing. I am sure most do practice but to those that don't or don't do enough practice.
Practice from seated, standing, kneeling, on the floor or any other scenario you can think of and if there is no range that you can do it dry first and then live fire, practice at home with an empty gun.

The reason I am saying that is I know many that carry a gun but have no or not enough practice drawing under different circumstances.

iainmcphersn
10-18-13, 10:56
6'3" 170# (down from 200#)
What works for me is pocket carry. I buy loose pants that have deep pockets. I am good with a G26 in a pocket holster.

Before this I carried a G19 on my right hip in a Comtac paddle holster, used a oversized polo shirt as a cover.

I did a few years with a belly band but got tired of it digging into my gut.

awestun
10-18-13, 11:51
I'm 6' about 155-160 and I usually carry my sig sp2022 iwb at 5 o'clock. I use a leatherneck tactical iwb holster and it definitely helps. I usually wear dickies slim straight jeans and a slightly baggy t shirt or flannel and that usually makes it loose its print.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Abraham
10-18-13, 15:25
Consider a OWB zippered pack - Not a fanny pack, but a rectangular pack.

I carry a Glock 19 in mine in the heat of the summer. Much cooler...

There's no need to buy different sized clothes or be bothered with Hawaiian shirts or cover garments.

The one I use doesn't give off the vibe of "GUN" like fanny packs do, as it looks like something one would use to carry binoculars or perhaps something medical.

No one looks twice at me.

I do wear a high quality leather gun belt - not the nylon belt it came with.

Short of not carrying at all, I couldn't be more comfortable. And yes, it's not quite as fast at accessing my pistol as could be, but with just a little practice, I can have my Glock out surprisingly fast.

doubled561
12-22-13, 12:50
Yeah I AIWB my xds .45 with a Kydex low pro holster. It's a bit uncomfortable when sitting but it's the best. I can get away with.

Robb Jensen
12-22-13, 13:03
Guy that used to work with me is 5'10" and I'd guess 145lbs (maybe less), concealed a G35Gen4 very well under a t-shirt in a RH strong side IWB worn at his kidney area.

RBid
12-22-13, 14:21
6'2", 185 with a little waist and bony hips. I carry a Glock 19 Gen 4 in a Galco King Tuk, with the front-most belt clip right at 3 o'clock. My belt is a BladeTech Looper. I use this system all year long, with no issues.

jmoore
12-22-13, 14:31
Nothing personal (and I haven't read all posts to see if someone has already said this) - but, I hate you:)
Let me know if you need some fat - ok?:):):)

Tactically padded john

ritepath
12-22-13, 19:02
Thin firearm (shield, CM/PM, XDs, ect...) owb beltslide holster and your favorite T-shirt. Problem solved.

Unless you feel the need/have to dress nice, then a LCP/pico/P3AT in the pocket.

alvincullumyork
12-22-13, 19:26
6'1" 170lb or 167lb after a good dump. M&P 9 fs 3:30 in an Atomic Dog kydex holster iwb (Raven Clone) on a Beltman belt. I can't even imagine how I could make appendix work.

afd524
12-22-13, 20:37
I'm 5'7" weight is 125-130, I carry a G19 and found that the best thing for me is a minimalist holster like the Raven Concealment VanGuard Holster System.

GunBugBit
01-14-14, 16:15
It has always been easier for me to carry concealed -- any gun -- when on the lighter side.

MegademiC
01-14-14, 17:09
It has always been easier for me to carry concealed -- any gun -- when on the lighter side.
This, I just put on about 20lbs and my sick gut makes me print now. Time to start training again - I'm too young to have to pour myself everywhere.

graffex
01-14-14, 18:12
I'm 5 10" 185 32" waist and I've never felt like I'm able to conceal anything either so don't feel bad:(

Warp
01-14-14, 21:58
I've been carrying basically all day every day since 2005. I'm 6'00" tall, and I've weighed everything from 168-225 during that time (much of the added weight was muscle, but fat definitely came along for the ride).

I have had no problem IWB carrying a Glock 26 as my true EDC under a tucked T-shirt the entire time. Quality belt and quality holster is all you need. I used a cheap Don Hume at first that was alright, then upgraded to a comp tac CTAC for years which was very good, and finally moved to a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, which is excellent. I still keep the CTAC around though as it is tuckable and my VMII is not set up to be tuckable.

*For two years I went with a G19 as EDC, but ended up going back to the 26 with a +0 pinky extension. It really does carry and conceal better and more comfortably than the 19.

Today I carried a Glock 21 IWB, but I had a flannel on over my t-shirt. Milt Sparks VMII again. (currently weigh 205)

Good gun belt, good holster.

GunBugBit
01-15-14, 16:41
The main concession I had to make is to wear clothes that are baggier than I was used to. One size larger on the pants waist measurement, and t-shirts made of slightly heavier fabric than I prefer, especially during the Phoenix hot season.

Or, if I go the dressier route, a blazer helps out a lot with concealment. In general, people treat you much differently when you dress more formally. Not always, but in some places, very much so.