PDA

View Full Version : Cured G17 eject prob....got questions still.

Straight Shooter
10-15-13, 17:42
Early this morning I installed a new 30274 ejector in my 2 year old
Gen 3 G17. While its been 100% reliable for about 2000 rnds or so...it literally dribbled empties out of the gun...or usually in my face, head or shoulder area. Had a Great 4-5 hours at the range today....perfect
ejection now. Ran 300 rounds thru it and its doing like my old G21 always has done..way out to the right.. So, that's that. The questions I have now are this:
1. Why does it still fail the empty mag well test? Still ejects thru the empty magwell every time.
2.All info/videos Ive seen on the subject show each person removing the entire trigger housing from the frame to install ejector, which is what I did too. But...do you HAVE to do this? Is there something Im not seeing, but it looks to me like you could just slide out the old, slide in the new w/o removing the housing.
3. Also..they show everyone taking the trigger bar, connector off the housing before putting on the ejector..which I did NOT do. Saw no need.Why are they doing this? Let me know if Im missing something here, please. Also..the gun has the dipped extractor, if that helps.
FWIW...ran several Arredondo 5round mag extensions and a few Glock Factory +2 ones. All ran great, this is the 3rd range trip with those, and now Ill start to use them for carry/home defense.
Any info on my questions appreciated!!

L-2
10-15-13, 18:59
-The ejector is a 30274, not a 30724.
-Hopefully your G17 and G21 are ejecting to the RIGHT, not the left.
-Ejection without a mag is really a 1911 test, not a Glock test for extraction & ejection.
-You're correct. The ejector can be pulled out of the Trigger Mechanism Housing (TMH) by removing the rear pin; tilting the TMH up; and pulling out the old ejector.
-I suspect many folks are used to detail-stripping the Glock by removing the entire TMH.
-I'm unconvinced there's a direct correlation between dipped and non-dipped extractors. I just don't have enough information to base a decision to condemn all dipped extractors as being bad.

Enjoy your Glock 17!

Ratfink
10-15-13, 19:05
Gen 3 or gen 4?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Straight Shooter
10-15-13, 22:23
DAMN..Im sorry for the dumbass info, I was really pooped when I came in! Yes, ejection is to the right, of course.
And mine is a two year old Gen3. NOW, its a good gun.

JBecker 72
10-15-13, 22:33
That's good you got your pistol running again. I don't know what it is, but I have 3 post 2009 gen 3 9mm Glocks with over 2000 rounds each that still eject completely fine and I haven't touched them. Maybe I should start playing the lottery. :confused:

Straight Shooter
10-15-13, 22:48
I KNOW! I cant figure out why some will run fine with a 336 ejector,
and some wont. Mine was bad, don't know how it was keeping from causing a jam. But one should not be getting btf 3,4,5 times or more from each mag. I let a few others shoot it so I could watch the gun, and its doing right now at last. Glad I didn't have to buy and extractor too!

Spurholder
10-16-13, 07:32
The ejector can be pulled out of the Trigger Mechanism Housing (TMH) by removing the rear pin; tilting the TMH up; and pulling out the old ejector.
-I suspect many folks are used to detail-stripping the Glock by removing the entire TMH.

Replaced my -336 ejectors in my Gen3's with 30274's over the weekend via the same method. Took about 1 minute per gun to do the swap.

Crow Hunter
10-16-13, 10:21
I KNOW! I cant figure out why some will run fine with a 336 ejector,
and some wont. Mine was bad, don't know how it was keeping from causing a jam. But one should not be getting btf 3,4,5 times or more from each mag. I let a few others shoot it so I could watch the gun, and its doing right now at last. Glad I didn't have to buy and extractor too!

Just out of curiosity, did you test your new ejector with the same mags you were using before when you were getting BTF or did you add extensions at the same time you were testing the new ejector?

The reason I ask this is adding an extension and keeping the same magazine spring will reduce the force of the cartridge stack pushing upwards which might improve ejection since the magazine won't be exerting as much load upwards on the extracting case trying to twist it out of the extractors grip before the ejector has time to hit it.

I have 5 Glock 19s. (Both with and without dipped extractors) None of them will eject without a magazine 100% of the time. They will usually drop the case down the well.

Tzintzuntzan
10-16-13, 12:01
It fails the empty mag well test because Glocks use the magazine in order to help eject the spent round. While the test is a good way to check 1911s it doesn't necessarily apply equally well to other types of handguns. If your ejection is behaving normally then it sounds like your problem has been fixed.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=131

Straight Shooter
10-16-13, 15:16
THANKS to all for info about the empty mag well test not applying to Glocks. For some reason, I had it in my head that was a good, general, all around test for most handguns.
Crow hunter....yessir, I used all 10 mags yesterday..some with standard 17rnd capacity...and two with Arredondo +5's, and two with glock +2's. All worked 100%.
On my G21..had a another gent. a firearms instructor and very experienced shooter, shoot my G21 with an Arredondo extension, and EVERY shot malfunctioned with him. Had to rack slide/do a clearance for about 6-8 shots. I took it, and fired it out as fast as I could, no prob. I took that same mag out, used it for the rest of the day...100% GTG. I cannot help but wonder wth?

Abraham
10-18-13, 15:30
Why would the failure of the empty mag well test be something to be concerned about?

What do I not understand?

Thanks!

Jason Weekley
10-18-13, 19:28
Where can I purchase the 30274 ejector, and should the extractor be replaced as well? My is extractor is #1.

Straight Shooter
10-18-13, 19:35
Jason-
Midway has or had the part for $8. Its a Gen 4 Trigger Housing. Simply pull the ejector straight out and put in a Gen 3, no prob. Was $12 with shipping. Try it FIRST with just the ejector, you probably wont need anything else, I don't.
To Abraham, this as I have found out, is a test of extractor specs on 1911 pistols..not glocks or others, as I had thought.
Now, WHY...well there are threads on here that specify, I cant clearly explain it.

Jason Weekley
10-18-13, 19:49
Jason-
Midway has or had the part for $8. Its a Gen 4 Trigger Housing. Simply pull the ejector straight out and put in a Gen 3, no prob. Was $12 with shipping. Try it FIRST with just the ejector, you probably wont need anything else, I don't.
To Abraham, this as I have found out, is a test of extractor specs on 1911 pistols..not glocks or others, as I had thought.
Now, WHY...well there are threads on here that specify, I cant clearly explain it.

You saying out a gen 4 trigger housing in my gen 3 19? Will it fit I was under the impression the gen 4's had a different angle and wouldn't for a gen 3

Straight Shooter
10-18-13, 21:44
No sir...only the EJECTOR, FROM a Gen 4 housing will fit....not the housing itself. That's why I said pull it from the Gen4, and install into Gen3.

Jason Weekley
10-18-13, 22:33
No sir...only the EJECTOR, FROM a Gen 4 housing will fit....not the housing itself. That's why I said pull it from the Gen4, and install into Gen3.

I realized what you were saying right after I replied. Feeling stupid!

Straight Shooter
10-18-13, 22:37
NO NEED to feel like that...we are ALL here to learn...and sometimes this shit IS confusing!! Also..there is NO NEED to take out the entire trigger assembly when swapping ejectors, btw. Just do as instructed above, and all will be good. Again...this is exactly whay my Gen 3 needed, nothing more.

Jason Weekley
10-27-13, 18:05
Swapped the 336 ejector out replaced it with the 30274 and still getting brass to the face.

brushy bill
10-27-13, 18:41
Swapped the 336 ejector out replaced it with the 30274 and still getting brass to the face.

Add Apex extractor and non-LCI spring loaded bearing.

Armati
10-27-13, 19:04
I have had this same problem with Gen 3 Glocks. Here is what I have learned:

The trigger housing with ejector should be replaced as a unit. Glock recommends not simply replacing the ejector.

Dipped extractors also seem to be a problem. If you are still having problem after replacing the ejector, look at getting a non-dipped extractor.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-27-13, 20:26
Ive never dissasembled the entire Glock to install a new ejector or work on the slide....

Also, my flawless Gen 3 G19 will not pass "the empty magwell test". Never seen that as a sign of anything....

PLCedeno
10-28-13, 06:14
I have had this same problem with Gen 3 Glocks. Here is what I have learned:

The trigger housing with ejector should be replaced as a unit. Glock recommends not simply replacing the ejector.

Dipped extractors also seem to be a problem. If you are still having problem after replacing the ejector, look at getting a non-dipped extractor.

I can see how the removal and re-installation of the ejector could weaken the plastic support. Same reason its not a good idea to take out/replace the connector more than once. Could make things sloppy inside. Better to get the ejector with a new housing already installed-if possible.

Straight Shooter
10-28-13, 14:24
My question is...how do you get a Gen3 trigger housing with a Gen4 ejector, WITHOUT swapping out the parts? As far as I know...the 30274 ejectors only come in a Gen 4 housing. Is this correct, or were some older Gen2, Gen3's made with them?

Trajan
10-28-13, 16:49
Same reason its not a good idea to take out/replace the connector more than once. Could make things sloppy inside.
Really? This is the first I have heard of this.

PLCedeno
10-29-13, 05:45
Really? This is the first I have heard of this.

It was mentioned at my armorer's class. It makes sense if you think about what the metal is being supported by.

PLCedeno
10-29-13, 05:46
My question is...how do you get a Gen3 trigger housing with a Gen4 ejector, WITHOUT swapping out the parts? As far as I know...the 30274 ejectors only come in a Gen 4 housing. Is this correct, or were some older Gen2, Gen3's made with them?

Probably by calling Glock CS.

Straight Shooter
10-29-13, 21:18
Well, if that's the case, it goes against what one of our Industry guys told me, that ALL Gen3's have the 336's in them. So what will Glock CS do?

brickboy240
10-30-13, 09:57
I got my 30274 ejector from Brownells by ordering a Gen 4 trigger housing for 10-12 bucks and swapping it with the 336 in my 3rd gen G19.

Pretty easy....that and the Apex extractor fixed my G19.

-brickboy240

Ken Grant
11-03-13, 18:10
Gen. 3 19, crazy ejection. Right, left on support hand, forward, right shoulder, top of head , barely dribble out and to the face.

polished extractor---no change
changed extractor--- no change
took to Glock match to be checked out, nothing found but they replaced extractor per my request---- no change
new plunger spring---- no change

Installed 30274 ejector---- BIG CHANGE !!! But not 100%
Installed a non-LCI extractor SLB with the 30274--- now 100% for several thousand rds.

Consider it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!