PDA

View Full Version : Glock Gen 4 MECHANICAL differences.

Straight Shooter
10-19-13, 14:10
Would someone THAT KNOWS, not speculating or repeating rumor, please tell me what the mechanical, NOT cosmetic/ergonomic differences are with the Gen 4 Glocks. Are the slides or barrels different in any way? And...what is the stated purpose of the dual spring recoil system...when Glocks very reputation was built on the single spring spring? How are they "better"?
Is chamber support more, same or less? Barrel lockup the same?
Just any info yall KNOW appreciated. AND...give me your opinions on the changes you list. Thanks!!
ALSO- do ALL Gen 3's come with 336 ejectors, or is it a mix of those and the 30274's?

PatEgan
10-19-13, 16:09
Eagerly awaiting the same info...

Pat

Texaspoff
10-19-13, 17:42
The Gen 4 has a different trigger bar, connector housing, connector housing pin, ejector, connector, guide rod assembly, magazine release button, slide, and frame.

The barrels, striker assembly, channel liner, locking block, locking block pin, trigger pin, magazine catch spring, slide lock, slide lock spring, slide stop lever, spring load bearing, extractor depressor plunger, extractor depressor plunger spring, extractor, and slide cover plate are the same on both the 3rd and 4th gens. Now several of these parts will work on both 3rd and 4th gen models, trigger bars, connectors, ejectors, and a few others. I'm sure I missed a few this was off the top of my head.

The 4th gen guide rod was designed for a longer service life, and reduced recoil. I am not sure it is better or worse, just different.

The chamber support is the same on both. Glocks aren't race guns and barrel lock up varies greatly between examples. I wouldn't worry about barrel lockup with Glocks, It's not that important with them.

The 336 ejector is still the OEM part for the 3rd gen pistols. Glock replaced a ton of 336 ejectors on 3rd gens pistols having ejection issues, so you may see some used ones with the 30274 ejectors, but I haven't seen any new 3rd gens with them.

I have owned a few 4th gens and while I had no issues with the ones I had, I stuck with the 3rd gens. The 4th gens don't offer anything for me that my modified 3rd gens don't offer. I also personally don't care for the way the 4th gens track, IE recoil control. They just don't feel right to me, IMO. I much prefer the 3rd gens in that respect.

I don't feel you will go wrong with either a 3rd or 4th gen Glock. It is all personal preference.

TXPO

Straight Shooter
10-19-13, 17:47
EXCELLENT INFO TEXASPOFF..
Anyone with additional info chime on in.

PatEgan
10-20-13, 00:37
The Gen 4 has a different trigger bar, connector housing, connector housing pin, ejector, connector, guide rod assembly, magazine release button, slide, and frame.

The barrels, striker assembly, channel liner, locking block, locking block pin, trigger pin, magazine catch spring, slide lock, slide lock spring, slide stop lever, spring load bearing, extractor depressor plunger, extractor depressor plunger spring, extractor, and slide cover plate are the same on both the 3rd and 4th gens. Now several of these parts will work on both 3rd and 4th gen models, trigger bars, connectors, ejectors, and a few others. I'm sure I missed a few this was off the top of my head.

The 4th gen guide rod was designed for a longer service life, and reduced recoil. I am not sure it is better or worse, just different.

The chamber support is the same on both. Glocks aren't race guns and barrel lock up varies greatly between examples. I wouldn't worry about barrel lockup with Glocks, It's not that important with them.

The 336 ejector is still the OEM part for the 3rd gen pistols. Glock replaced a ton of 336 ejectors on 3rd gens pistols having ejection issues, so you may see some used ones with the 30274 ejectors, but I haven't seen any new 3rd gens with them.

I have owned a few 4th gens and while I had no issues with the ones I had, I stuck with the 3rd gens. The 4th gens don't offer anything for me that my modified 3rd gens don't offer. I also personally don't care for the way the 4th gens track, IE recoil control. They just don't feel right to me, IMO. I much prefer the 3rd gens in that respect.

I don't feel you will go wrong with either a 3rd or 4th gen Glock. It is all personal preference.

TXPO

Great info, thanks for posting.
How and to what extent did you modify your Gen.3s that you prefer over the Gen.4s?
Pat

Texaspoff
10-20-13, 02:48
They all have had reductions, finger humps removed, rounded and undercut trigger guards, and the 19's pictured have had their back straps extended. All of my Glocks internals are all factory.

Mine is the one on the top. The bottom is another customer/friends G19.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0007_zps06ff2bee.jpg

theblackknight
10-20-13, 02:57
I like the gen 4's better. The grip is better, the frames smaller back to front and mag button is huge. This means you dont exactly need a stipple job and a cut mag release.

firerocketjump
10-20-13, 13:50
I liked my gen 4 grip better than the gen 3 grip. But I did end up stippling mine as well. Just note that if you stipple yours you cant use the back straps that it came with originally anymore.

Heavy Metal
10-20-13, 17:36
I know the slide lock (not the slide stop) spring is different and possibly the slide lock itself. I am too tired right now to dig out my documentation from Armorer's Class.

Trajan
10-21-13, 15:22
Based on that other thread about accuracy: how does the dual recoil spring make a gun more accurate? I figure Glock is using two different spring weights inside of the assembly to do different things, but isn't a closed breech of equal tolerances the same regardless?

Javelin
10-21-13, 16:01

TXPO

Great post.