PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade my P226 for G19 for concealed carry?

npthaiduong
10-21-13, 23:58
Hello guys,

I have a P226 with rail and think about carry it occasionally. I got my permit for a while but haven't had a chance to really carry due to the nature of my work (Government office job). I saw a good deal on the G19 for $425 with tax at a local dealer because I can get discount for vet. Should I trade in my P226 and get the Glock 19 for carry?

I love the P226. Haven't had any problem or double feeding with it at all. However, the full size pistol is a bit inconvenient for carry. I usually wear a blazer or jacket when I go outside (Minnesota....), so I don't worry much about not enough concealment. The only thing I worry is the weight and how it affects movements etc.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

glocktogo
10-22-13, 00:01
I know I would switch in a second. You have to decide what's best for you though. :)

mrvip27
10-22-13, 00:09
Keep the 226. You'll regret it.

Buy a G19 if you want a cc firearm.

AKDoug
10-22-13, 00:58
I'd also keep the 226 for a house or range gun. If you can afford the G19, buy it outright. It's a perfect carry gun IMHO.

There's a whole lot of life outside of work and I can't imagine going anywhere without being armed.

jcshelto
10-22-13, 01:13
I traded my Sig p226 9mm for a Glock 26 plus cash. I have been very happy and shoot a ton more 9mm. I believe strongly in the primacy of the Glock platform.

theblackknight
10-22-13, 01:23
I would still keep it as maybe a winter gun, and maybe get a belt that can manage the heft unless you really want to dump the Sig style guns all together.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

kantstudien
10-22-13, 01:30
Always buy guns. Never sell or trade. Unless you have a turd you are offloading.

I've regretted selling/trading pretty much every single gun I let go of.

jcshelto
10-22-13, 06:02
I used to think the same way--I still do, never sell a gun without getting a new one.

The issue for me, now, is that I view each gun as a capability. Some capabilities are more important than others. The Sig P226 is a large DA/SA gun that is fun to shoot and felt great in the hand for me. I was slow, but deathly accurate with it.

The Glock 19 is a compact, yet sizable gun that can easily fill the Sig's role as a MDS (Main Secondary Weapon), as a "nightstand gun," and its also very fun to shoot. Now, we could go on and write a book about what the G19 can do that a P226R cannot.

Buy combat/defensive capabilities, not guns; that is my mindset. I am no longer a collector.

walkin' trails
10-22-13, 06:52
The G19 is going to be a better pistol to conceal and doesn't give up much. The P226 is a great pistol and if I liked shooting it, I'd be hard pressed to want to trade it. Whatever you decide to do, don't trade the Sig straight up for the Glock. At the very least let the LGS sell it on consignment for you.

jcshelto
10-22-13, 07:57
The G19 is going to be a better pistol to conceal and doesn't give up much. The P226 is a great pistol and if I liked shooting it, I'd be hard pressed to want to trade it. Whatever you decide to do, don't trade the Sig straight up for the Glock. At the very least let the LGS sell it on consignment for you.

Agreed 100% at least about the money. I did my P226 for a Glock and~400 IIRC.

Five_Point_Five_Six
10-22-13, 08:25
If it means that you'll carry more often, make the trade. A G19 on your hip will do you more good than a P226 at home in the safe.

MistWolf
10-22-13, 08:39
If you want the Glock, get it. The 226 should be worth more than $425 so if you trade straight across, you'll be losing out. If you sell the 226, do it privately. Don't put it up for consignment at the LGS as you'll again be losing money and if you change your mind, you'll have to go through NICS to get it back and possibly pay a transfer fee

yoni
10-22-13, 10:48
I don't happen to like sig pistols, but the size in my opinion is not that big an issue.

I carry a Glock 34 or Hi Power 99% of the time in locations ranging from hot jungle of Afrika to rain of Pacific Northwest, with no issues of concealment. In Afrika it is under T shirt or un tucked dress shirt and I have never been made.

Big A
10-22-13, 13:20
I would not give up the P226 unless you needed all the money you could get for more mags and a holster for the G19. Plus, if you like the Sig hold on to it until you're sure you like the G19 better.

If you can afford it I would keep it and have both unless you just don't like the Sig or want to have only one platform for pistols.

WickedWillis
10-22-13, 13:24
Be careful with trades, I just traded my Shield for an M&P 9c last night, and I have hated myself every second since.

npthaiduong
10-22-13, 20:32
Thank you all for your replies. I agree with most of you that giving up my P226 is not ideal, but I am still thinking about having two handguns but only end up using one. But again, I personally think I will only use the Glock 19 for carry only.

On the side note, how much do you guys think a like new P226 rail and night sights with less than 200 rounds worth?

chadb
10-22-13, 22:02
If it were me I would keep the Sig and save up for the glock

Vandal
10-23-13, 00:06
I would keep the P226 and buy the Glock 19. I have a P229 and a G19 and IMO they both have a place in my defense life. A P226 is a darn good firearm to have around.

texasgunhand
10-23-13, 01:01
Keep the sig and use it till you can save up and get the glock,never sell a gun you like.or one you know you can depend on.

Mysteryman
10-23-13, 02:40
If you don't use it why keep it? Furthermore, why own two completely different systems? Stick to one and master it. They're either tools for a job or pieces of a collection. Decide which one best describes your use and go from there.

MM

britishtq
10-23-13, 03:23
Keep the sig and buy my glock 23.

badness
10-23-13, 03:29
i say keep the p226 and save for an m11-a1....or a p239.

You're willing to give up a gun you shoot well with and is your ONLY gun, for another gun that's SLIGHTLY smaller and is completely different in how it functions? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Another thing i don't get is, if you work in a government building, what difference would it make on the size of the gun? carrying anything is illegal anyway.

npthaiduong
10-23-13, 10:15

You're willing to give up a gun you shoot well with and is your ONLY gun, for another gun that's SLIGHTLY smaller and is completely different in how it functions? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Another thing i don't get is, if you work in a government building, what difference would it make on the size of the gun? carrying anything is illegal anyway.

I agree with you. The only reason is I am on a tight budget, and it is hard for me to keep up with both.

Sorry for the confusing. Like I said earlier, I haven't carried a lot because I am at work most of the time. I am not planning to carry when I go to work. I only plan to carry it when I go to somewhere else even though Minnesota is pretty much safe at most part.

RagweedZulu
10-23-13, 20:50
Is there anything the SIG can do that the G19 can't do? And the G19 is arguably easier to conceal so it would b a no brainer for me if I could only keep one.

I had a 226 in .40 years ago. It was a beautiful gun and it shot very nicely. But I needed a CCW weapon for warm weather and ended up selling it for a G23. Never have regretted that switch.

kevN
10-23-13, 21:07
Hello guys,

I have a P226 with rail and think about carry it occasionally. I got my permit for a while but haven't had a chance to really carry due to the nature of my work (Government office job). I saw a good deal on the G19 for $425 with tax at a local dealer because I can get discount for vet. Should I trade in my P226 and get the Glock 19 for carry?

I love the P226. Haven't had any problem or double feeding with it at all. However, the full size pistol is a bit inconvenient for carry. I usually wear a blazer or jacket when I go outside (Minnesota....), so I don't worry much about not enough concealment. The only thing I worry is the weight and how it affects movements etc.

I did. Really I got rid of every handgun that was not a 9mm glock and invested in getting more 9mm Glocks. I also have instituted a rule that if I don't shoot a gun for a year, I try to sell it.

The consistency of shooting essentially the same gun in just a variety of sizes has significantly improved my shooting and made my training more productive in my opinion.

In particular, the 19 is obviously a great balance of size and shoot ability. The P226 can be a fun gun, but DA/SA and the size and weight of it makes it less than ideal for anything but a reference piece for me.

npthaiduong
10-23-13, 21:11
I did. Really I got rid of every handgun that was not a 9mm glock and invested in getting more 9mm Glocks. I also have instituted a rule that if I don't shoot a gun for a year, I try to sell it.

The consistency of shooting essentially the same gun in just a variety of sizes has significantly improved my shooting and made my training more productive in my opinion.

In particular, the 19 is obviously a great balance of size and shoot ability. The P226 can be a fun gun, but DA/SA and the size and weight of it makes it less than ideal for anything but a reference piece for me.

You are right about the DA/SA. This is one of the reason why I think the P226 is a little bit tricky to carry.

bowietx
10-23-13, 21:24
I have tried, owned and fired many handguns. Currently I have a P226 (favorite gun that I have owned) along with the Glock 19. I carry the 19 on a regular basis, but in a SHTF scenario or for around the ranch I carry the 226. the 226 has never failed, never been less than the most accurate gun that I own and the best feeling in my hand. I have resigned myself to never sell this gun. While the DA/SA takes time to master there is to me no better feeling trigger than the Sig in SA. I would say keep it and save for the Glock. The few times that I have sold a gun it was because it was a firearm that I could not trust. My Glock Gen 4 19 was one of the guns that I sold and later replaced with a Gen 3. The Gen 4 had 7 FTF and 2 double feeds in the first 4 magazines and it was gone one day after I purchased it. My Sig has never given me reason to doubt its reliability or accuracy and therefore will never be on the auction block.

TxPiKapp
10-23-13, 23:41
+1 for G19.. I have a G19 Gen 4 and currently use it for my CCW.. but I opted for more stopping power so I am waiting for my G30S to come in.. cant beat a .45

strambo
10-23-13, 23:58
I love my P226 and carry it all the time, sometimes under a T-shirt. It is not that much larger and heavier than a G19. With a good belt and holster (I use a Comp-Tac MTAC), it carries and conceals easy.

I have nothing against Glocks or the G19 (great gun!), but if you like your Sig, the only limitation on it for conceal carry is something you are self-imposing.

Andrewsky
10-24-13, 00:03
Keep the Sig Sauer for the grip ergonomics.

Abraham
10-24-13, 15:05
Keep the Sig and buy the G19 - That's a great price!

WickedWillis
10-24-13, 15:11
There is a reason that the Glock 19 is the most popular and sought after handgun that Glock makes. It's damn near perfect IMO. No other handgun that competitors (M&P, Sig, Ruger, HK) make comes close to the size and firepower of the 19. It is a fantastic carry, and personal defense handgun.

You should keep the P226 because it is simply an outstanding pistol. Maybe relegate it to a HD nightstand gun? You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable and accurate one. I carry Glocks, and I have a Sig P220 on my nightstand.

Striker
10-24-13, 18:02
I agree with you. The only reason is I am on a tight budget, and it is hard for me to keep up with both.

Sorry for the confusing. Like I said earlier, I haven't carried a lot because I am at work most of the time. I am not planning to carry when I go to work. I only plan to carry it when I go to somewhere else even though Minnesota is pretty much safe at most part.

So you can shoot TDA well or you can't? TDA isn't a benefit or a detriment; it's just a trigger system. You said in an earlier post that it's your only gun and the round count is 200. So you had something else prior to it and the Sig is fairly new or your training comes from the military or prior LEO experience or...?

Regarding carrying it; most likely your uncomfortable with it because you never carry it.

I don't have an opinion on whether you should trade it or not because I'm not you and I don't know what your skill and experience levels are.

Dmaynor
10-24-13, 18:07
I have a 226 Dark Elite I love and a Glock 19 with all the Glockworx upgrade options. While i love the Glock and it shoots well nothing replaces the feeling of a good weighted pistol. That being said I am 6'2" and 220 so a 236 does feel like a CCW.

That being said I carry the Glock 19 everyday because I don't need a great conversation starter, I need a small lightweight pistol that stands up to climate, sweat, other weird things and I would mind having to spend a few months or longer in police custody if ever used for self defense.

Boba Fett v2
10-24-13, 18:12
Hello guys,

Keep the P226 and save money towards a good used P228 or M11-A1 for CCW.

LMT Shooter
10-24-13, 18:33
Always buy guns. Never sell or trade. Unless you have a turd you are offloading.

I've regretted selling/trading pretty much every single gun I let go of.

I feel your pain. I've only gotten rid of a few, and the regret has never left in every case.

SiGfever
10-24-13, 18:49
I have a G19 and a G26, both are favorites to carry and shoot. Cold weather the G19 does duty and the G26/PM9 for warmer weather. I do have a P226 "NSW" Navy that is spooky accurate and of all the SiG's that I have owned, which are all gone now, it will NEVER be sold. When I shoot it I look around to see who made that shot. ;)

habibi
10-24-13, 18:56
I had a friend who traded a P226 in .40 S&W for a G26 at a LGS and I feel like he took a big loss on it. I told him to sell it privately but I guess he couldn't wait and got a new G26 that normally sells for about $450-550. Oh and the P226 had about 200 rounds through it so it was still fairly new. If it were me I would either sell it privately or save up for the Glock but I would not trade it due to the big loss. Hope this helps.

Ark1443
10-24-13, 19:49
Though I do not have a P226, I do have the G19. I agree with several previous posters, you almost always regret it when you sell or trade a gun, unless its a "turd" as someone mentioned.

That being said, if possible keep the P226 AND buy the glock on the side. You can never have too many firearms!

Mysteryman
10-25-13, 02:25

See below about the "slightly smaller" fallacy. As for "completely different in how it functions". Magazines go in the grip, you cycle the slide, you shoot, you holster. Only thing that differs is the absence of the decocker and the feel and learning curve of two different trigger pulls. Not to mention the distinct reset of a Glock that SIG's lack unless you run an SRT model.

I love my P226 and carry it all the time, sometimes under a T-shirt. It is not that much larger and heavier than a G19. With a good belt and holster (I use a Comp-Tac MTAC), it carries and conceals easy.

I have nothing against Glocks or the G19 (great gun!), but if you like your Sig, the only limitation on it for conceal carry is something you are self-imposing.

So a 226 is "not that much larger and heavier.."??

SIG 226 Glock 19

length 7.7" 7.28"
height 5.5" 4.99"
width 1.5" 1.18"
weight 34 oz 20.99 oz
capacity 15 15

Yeah, the 226 isn't that much heavier, only 40% heavier, a half inch longer and taller, and over a quarter inch wider. All that for the SAME capacity and nearly twice the price... Good deal.

MM

Bandanabandit1
10-25-13, 08:17
Like all the others said, keep the 226 and buy the Glock. You will definitely regret getting rid of the SiG.

harm
10-25-13, 10:01
I have a love affair with Sigs. Honestly the only reason to not CCW a 226 is if you have a light attached (personal preference). If you've only got 200 RDS through it Is suggest you haven't shot or carried it enough to make an informed decision.

Plus I would add - $200 in belts & a great holster and no one will know you've got that 226 on you.

As to a day you can't/won't ccw it - I stopped ccw'ing mine when I put a surefire on it & bought a Sig 228. At the same time all bets are off and I upgraded my mags to 18/22rds for the 226. Its a big night stand gun & I love it.

If you are looking to ccw its more about the holster & belt than the gun.

Would a G19 be a great ccw gun? Absolutely. Is it necessary? Nope.

FWIW my primary carry guns now are a Sig 228 & a Glock 20.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

npthaiduong
10-25-13, 12:57
I haven't shoot a lot on the P226 because when I go to my handgun training with my unit, I only use my issued pistol, the M9. Therefore, I haven't had a lot of time to really spend quality time with the Sig even though I am more accurate and proficient with the Sig than the M9.

I have zero experience in carry, so that maybe a weakness of mine when it comes to deciding which is the best carry weapon for me. I am 5"8 and only 145lbs, so in my eyes, the Sig is quite big when I try a IWB holster.

I probably save the Sig and get the Glock at a reasonable price. I just hope the lead time for purchasing blue label weapons.

Boba Fett v2
10-25-13, 13:01
When it's a toss up, sometimes it simply boils down to aesthetics:

Sig = beautiful
Glock = ugly

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Striker
10-25-13, 14:55
I haven't shoot a lot on the P226 because when I go to my handgun training with my unit, I only use my issued pistol, the M9. Therefore, I haven't had a lot of time to really spend quality time with the Sig even though I am more accurate and proficient with the Sig than the M9.

I have zero experience in carry, so that maybe a weakness of mine when it comes to deciding which is the best carry weapon for me. I am 5"8 and only 145lbs, so in my eyes, the Sig is quite big when I try a IWB holster.

I probably save the Sig and get the Glock at a reasonable price. I just hope the lead time for purchasing blue label weapons.

Ok, so you're training is military and with a Beretta. That's what I was trying to figure out. I find carrying IWB is an acquired taste. If you want slim, get a 1911. Otherwise I think it's finding the most comfortable position for you where you get the best concealment and wearing it a lot to get use to it.

Sig vs Glock is a personal choice. I like both and HK and 1911s and CZs and Berettas. They're all capable of doing what you want, the question is what benefits are you looking for and what detriments are you willing to put up with. None of them are perfect. Each offers something a little different.

Here are two things to consider; first, the weight difference between a Sig classic series and a Glock is noticeable. The Glock is a lot lighter. Second no matter what you choose, get a good belt and good holster or a couple of good belts and a couple of good holsters. Don't skimp on these items. Because if you do, you're going end up like the rest us. You're going to end up wasting money on cheap belts and holsters that are going sit in the closet forever because they suck. They don't conceal well and they make an uncomfortable situation, which carrying a handgun is, into an unbearable one. Buy once, cry once. Buy quality holsters and belts.

When it's a toss up, sometimes it simply boils down to aesthetics:

Sig = beautiful
Glock = ugly

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

LOL. Hilarious.