PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade/sell my Glock 17 for something more concealable?

Doc Safari
10-22-13, 16:12
Out at the ranch I carried my Gen 3 G17 for years before I bought my first M4. As the M4 became more and more a part of my life the G17 became more of a "carry gun" for "in town."

Now that I've had my S & W J-frame 642 for a few months, it gets carried more and more and the G17 just gets carried....not at all. I don't even think switching to a G19 would ever get me to carry the Glock again because I just can't have it with me in as many modes of dress as I can the J-frame.

My local dealer tells me, "Don't sell right now. Wait for another panic."

My thought is that I could put the money toward ammo or something else. Maybe something Ruger LCP sized? (Not that I'd buy that pistol. I don't know enough about it).

I know a lot of people are pissed at Glock lately because the guns aren't what they used to be, but this one was made in early 2010 just before the era when people began to say Glock's quality had slipped. It has been flawless so far. To muddy the waters even further, it isn't my "only" Gen 3 G17. I actually have an older one made before they started installing the "dipped" extractor. It is in near mint condition and will stay that way.

So, keep it or get rid of it?

WickedWillis
10-22-13, 16:47
Considering how long you have had the handgun, and the fact that you still enjoy it means you should keep it. Yeah, the M4 will get the love around the ranch (as it should), and you may enjoy carrying the J-frame better now, the Glock 17 still has uses.

You could throw some night sights on it (I'm assuming it has none) and buy an inexpensive streamlight TLR-1 and have a great, reliable nightstand gun. If it is before the Glock quality "Dipped' by all means keep it. You can never have too many reliable firearms close at hand, and there are few as reliable as a Glock 17.

Also, it's a great gun to teach new shooters how to shoot. Low recoil, good balance, high capacity. YMMV

Five_Point_Five_Six
10-22-13, 17:56
How much do ya want for it shipped?

SteveS
10-22-13, 18:01
Keep the Glock , it is a good pistol to have when you need more! The 443 is a sweetheart to carry when you don't need more.

Swag
10-22-13, 18:49
How much do ya want for it shipped?

What he said!!!

djegators
10-22-13, 18:56
Keep the 17. You already another carry option. Another option which may surprise you is the Glock 26...shoots better than you think it will.

WickedWillis
10-22-13, 18:56
Keep the 17. You already another carry option. Another option which may surprise you is the Glock 26...shoots better than you think it will.

I'm picking one up tonight.

packinaglock
10-22-13, 18:57
Considering how long you have had the handgun, and the fact that you still enjoy it means you should keep it. Yeah, the M4 will get the love around the ranch (as it should), and you may enjoy carrying the J-frame better now, the Glock 17 still has uses.

You could throw some night sights on it (I'm assuming it has none) and buy an inexpensive streamlight TLR-1 and have a great, reliable nightstand gun. If it is before the Glock quality "Dipped' by all means keep it. You can never have too many reliable firearms close at hand, and there are few as reliable as a Glock 17.

Also, it's a great gun to teach new shooters how to shoot. Low recoil, good balance, high capacity. YMMV

Agreed!

PD Sgt.
10-22-13, 19:22
I would also keep the G17. It fills a role the J frame does not, in that it is a full size duty-type weapon.

It does not cost you anything to keep it, and I am assuming you already have mags and spare parts for it. Keep a reasonable stash of ammo on hand, and you will have any eventuality requiring a larger pistol covered without having to go out and reacquire one.

If you are comfortable with it, keep carrying the J frame as a CCW piece, but this way you have another tool for the toolbox already on hand.

Trajan
10-22-13, 19:38
Why not just cut the G17 to take G19 mags?

Unless you always wear a tucked in shirt, or gym shorts, or no shirt, you should be able to carry a G19 sized gun.

G19 cut to G26 mags are also really neat. Pair that up with a VG 2 and goodbye J-frame.

Frailer
10-22-13, 20:29
Why not just cut the G17 to take G19 mags?

Unless you always wear a tucked in shirt, or gym shorts, or no shirt, you should be able to carry a G19 sized gun.

G19 cut to G26 mags are also really neat. Pair that up with a VG 2 and goodbye J-frame.

I really like the Glock 26, but it is not a J-frame replacement.

brushy bill
10-22-13, 20:38
As someone else mentioned, it doesn't eat anything so is costing you nothing to keep. Put a light on it and keep it as a night stand gun if nothing else.

samuse
10-23-13, 08:30
Glock's quality took a dive in '08. But your '10 may be perfect.

If you don't want it, ditch it.

Some people say to never sell a gun, but I've sold tons of guns and don't regret it at all.

It's whatever you wanna do...

rackham1
10-23-13, 09:05
I would also keep the G17. It fills a role the J frame does not, in that it is a full size duty-type weapon.

And what's the value of that role? For the most part I agree with you and have given the same advice. But lately I've been thinking about having the "Must have the full size pistol" box checked and I can't convince myself why it's important anymore.

Now, a magazine fed 9mm compared to a J frame... yes, keep it because it can do a lot that the J frame can't. But just in general, is there truly a role for full size pistols for a context like the OP?

I carry both a G19 and G17. But the more time passes, the more I wonder why I bother with the G17. For CCW and things like Doc Glockster's ranch duty, a full size does almost nothing that the smaller frame can't do just as well.

A while back there was another thread where someone asked a similar "Should I keep my G17?" question. I advised almost exactly what you just did. But someone (gotta give credit... I think it was gun71530) said he sold his own G17 to buy a second G19. There's something to be said for that, I think.

Doc Safari
10-23-13, 09:17
I'm actually leaning toward something smaller than a G19 or G26. Glock should have made a slimline single-stack pistol the size of the Ruger LCP years ago. Why they haven't makes me think they're becoming a dinosaur.

My bottom line is that at the ranch I see only a tiny number of situations where a long gun is less appropriate than a duty-sized pistol. On the other hand, in almost every instance I can think of where a handgun is appropriate, a concealable size is also appropriate. Yes I may have to give up the hi-cap wondernine concept for a handful of rounds in an uncomfortable-to-shoot platform, but like people keep saying: the J-frame you carry is a better weapon than the full sized Glock left in the nightstand.

I'm selling it. I will still have a Glock 17 like I mentioned earlier.

To those who want me to make an offer: sorry, but I've got enough takers locally that shipping it is just out of the question.

WillBrink
10-23-13, 09:47
Out at the ranch I carried my Gen 3 G17 for years before I bought my first M4. As the M4 became more and more a part of my life the G17 became more of a "carry gun" for "in town."

Now that I've had my S & W J-frame 642 for a few months, it gets carried more and more and the G17 just gets carried....not at all. I don't even think switching to a G19 would ever get me to carry the Glock again because I just can't have it with me in as many modes of dress as I can the J-frame.

My local dealer tells me, "Don't sell right now. Wait for another panic."

My thought is that I could put the money toward ammo or something else. Maybe something Ruger LCP sized? (Not that I'd buy that pistol. I don't know enough about it).

I know a lot of people are pissed at Glock lately because the guns aren't what they used to be, but this one was made in early 2010 just before the era when people began to say Glock's quality had slipped. It has been flawless so far. To muddy the waters even further, it isn't my "only" Gen 3 G17. I actually have an older one made before they started installing the "dipped" extractor. It is in near mint condition and will stay that way.

So, keep it or get rid of it?

If it was your only FS 9mm pistol, I'd day keep it. If you have multiples, then that one is just up to you and if you'd rather put the $$$ toward something else.

I never had a big collection to start, but I recently stream lined it further as I don't want safe queens. My basic rule was if it had not been shot or carried in a year, it was gone.

So, went from 4 1911s, to 1, one FS 9mm (M&P which is CCW), 1 M4, one compact 9 and .40, and so forth.

Some of the $$ I used to by fire arms related stuff like Optic for the M4, ammo, etc.

Darkop
10-23-13, 10:09
I suggest keeping the G17 for a house gun and picking up an M&P shield 9 as your everyday carry gun. In a good holster you can carry the Shield all day and forget it's there until needed. With the 8 round magazines it's a very shootable small carry gun.

Until that day,
Darkop

TMS951
10-23-13, 10:11
I have a Khar PM9 I really like to carry, totally forget its there.

However I would never sell a working 9mm Glock, stick it away some where sure. Sell it, no.

PLCedeno
10-23-13, 10:31
Keep. Depending on body type the G17 conceals very well with a Raven holster. The G19 may conceal better but when its time to quickly un-holster and shoot accurately, the G17 for me is the better choice.

rackham1
10-23-13, 13:19
Keep. Depending on body type the G17 conceals very well with a Raven holster. The G19 may conceal better but when its time to quickly un-holster and shoot accurately, the G17 for me is the better choice.

Is it really? That's an honest question, not a snarky one. This is related to my earlier post. Although the G17 feels better, I've never been able to measure a performance gain over a G19 in class work or competition.

Doc Glockster, I guess I don't quite follow the drive to sell the G17 since you already have your preferred solution (J frame). The possible pocket 9 sounded like only a maybe. Unless you have a specific plan, I'd say keep. To turn your phrase, the extra G17 in your home is better than the other pistol you didn't buy because you ended up spending the money on something else.

And FWIW, after shooting someone else's LC9 a handful of times, I'd NEVER carry either it or the LCP for real CCW purposes. It did not agree with me at all.

Doc Safari
10-23-13, 13:26
Doc Glockster, I guess I don't quite follow the drive to sell the G17 since you already have your preferred solution (J frame). The possible pocket 9 sounded like only a maybe. Unless you have a specific plan, I'd say keep. To turn your phrase, the extra G17 in your home is better than the other pistol you didn't buy because you ended up spending the money on something else.

Well, I could put the money toward ammo too.

rackham1
10-23-13, 13:40
Well, I could put the money toward ammo too.

Roger that, that's a good plan too. Just basing it on my house, where if I didn't have a plan for turning a sold gun into something else quickly, then all the little rackhams would end up taking it for sports equipment and school activities, lol.

okie john
10-23-13, 14:12
I don't even think switching to a G19 would ever get me to carry the Glock again because I just can't have it with me in as many modes of dress as I can the J-frame.

How do you carry the G17? I'd be inclined to find a more versatile belt and holster than to sell it.

A Glock that you already own is basically free, plus you can put your hands on it right now if you need it. To replace it, you have the cost of the pistol, plus the cost of not knowing whether it runs properly, plus the time and the cost of the ammo and maybe parts for turning it into what you already have--a proven Glock.

A J-frame and a Glock are tools for different jobs. Having a second proven Glock on hand could be a very comforting option some day.

Okie John

Doc Safari
10-23-13, 14:22
A J-frame and a Glock are tools for different jobs.

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by this. In my world when I'm at the ranch my M4 or a 12-gauge shotgun are more appropriate. I suppose you could argue that a Glock is a good "bedroom" gun, but the M4 is my house-clearing weapon and my 642 is my nightstand gun.

I'm warming to the idea that for my tactical niche a full sized Glock is "neither fish nor foul". It's either too little gun at the ranch or too much gun when going about my business in town where I need to conceal something even under a T-shirt. My body shape really doesn't lend itself to carrying a large handgun, period.

Having a second proven Glock on hand could be a very comforting option some day.

Remember, I am keeping a Glock 17, just not the one that was made right before Glock's quality started taking a nosedive.

okie john
10-23-13, 14:54
I'm not sure exactly what is meant by this.

With the understanding that no handgun is an ideal fight stopper, I'd say that the J-frame's niche is either A) backing up a bigger handgun or a long gun, or B) keeping you armed when it's impossible to carry a more capable piece.

It sounds like your visits to town fall into the Category B, and that you've made a good choice based on your situation.

Okie John

Magic_Salad0892
10-23-13, 15:02
Trade it for a G19.

Beat Trash
10-23-13, 15:28
You are keeping at least one Glock 17. So if needed, you have access to a full size 9mm.

I would look real hard at a M&P Shield. I've had one since the first week they were introduced. It has replaced my Kahr PM9 and my J-Frame 642 for all of my little gun chores.

I have a little time with the Ruger LCP. I didn't care for much.

CoryCop25
10-23-13, 15:37
Are you planning on doing any handgun training?
A 642 is a great defensive gun for different clothing styles but you are limited to 5 rounds.
You also won't survive in a handgun class with a 5 shot wheel gun.
Even if you plan on only taking classes involving your primary weapon (M4) you will still need a service sized handgun.
My advice is to either keep your G17 as a training platform, or switch to the G19 because it is useable in training and smaller for concealment purposes.

yoni
10-23-13, 17:32
Doc Glockster

I carry a Glock 34 worldwide and a lot of days when I am in afrika and have no meetings scheduled I may be in shorts with a T shirt untucked.

So I am wondering why you feel you can't conceal the Glock 17, what are you wearing to make you think that? How have you carried the pistol, i.e. IWB, regular on the belt holster?

BuzzinSATX
10-23-13, 20:34
Remember, I am keeping a Glock 17, just not the one that was made right before Glock's quality started taking a nosedive.

I have several Gen 4 Glocks, A 17, 19, 23, & 26, I had a 21 but that proved to be a BTF gun for me and Glock took it back in trade.

Their quality "nosedive", while I acknowledge it occurred, was corrected and I continue to have faith in the company. A brant new 19 or 26 would be a great addition to your collection IMO.

Best of luck however you proceed.

Crow Hunter
10-23-13, 22:10
When you are out on your ranch doing things can you always keep your hands on your M4/Shotgun? If not, you definitely need a capable weapon on your body all the time.

I have a J-frame, I can't shoot it very quickly or accurately. It is more of a "get off me gun" to quote a person I respect.

Personally, I would rather have the G17 in a OWB holster while on the ranch all the time and the long arm within reach versus a slung rifle that gets in the way of normal "ranch duties" and thus gets put down/leaned against something as much as it is carried.

I also prefer to have 2 of any gun that I intend to rely on. One for training/practice and the other "for real" that gets limited use to stay "fresh".

Jmacken37
10-24-13, 21:45
Ditch the wheel gun and get a Kahr CM9 (or PM9 if you're feeling rich). Like the above poster, I carry a PM9 daily and love the size. Shooting is surprisingly not bad and the little gun is pretty accurate.

S. Kelly
10-25-13, 14:25
Keep the G17 and save up and get a G19 or G26 for in town carry. You won't be sorry!