PDA

View Full Version : AIWB holster. Shaggy versus archangel

timbo813
10-24-13, 20:55
I am wanting to try Aiwb with my glock 19. I like the look of the dale fricke archangel. But, I've read good things about the CCC shaggy. The reason I like the look of the archangel is that it's thinner than the shaggy which looks pretty thick to me. But, I've never even tried an Aiwb holster on. Any input on the differences of these holsters would be appreciated. Am I off track looking at the thickness? I really wish I could try a bunch of these holsters on before buying one.

Vendetta
10-24-13, 21:01
I wouldn't say that you are off track. Thickness can add to discomfort, but it can also "potentially" add to durability. Thinner kydex obviously has the possibility of breaking easier. The first appendix holster I tried was the Archangel for my P239. I did not like it, I could not get use to it, it would awkwardly dig into my femoral, which caused a lot of discomfort.

I then went with the VG2 after a while and loved it. It worked great, but I had to move away for it due to the need to reholster. The Raven VG2 is a great idea, but it's not ideal if you want something to easily reholster. I again looked at Raven, but did not like their appendix rig and how large it was, I also heard bad reviews from guys I knew. I ended up getting the Contact!Concealment appendix holster with the larger kydex clip instead of the button snap. Bruce hooked me up and got it to me before I left for my vacation, and is amazingly fast to respond to e-mails with questions. I got one for my G19 and G26, I got the Paul Howe mod on my G26 one. They are both extremely comfortable and the clip is almost annoyingly strong. The clip will clip on to everything, there are some times it's easier for me to undo my belt and pull it out, then wiggle the holster off the seam of my jeans, which it still catches and holds tight to.

On a side note, my Dale Fricke holster came with a little Bible, which was awesome in my book. Great surprise when I opened the box.

Irish
10-24-13, 21:48
The Shaggy is no thicker than any other kydex holster I've seen, I'm wearing one now. I've tried multiple other manufacturers and it is more comfortable and conceals better than anything else I've tried thus far.

However, the endless search for "the one" never stops and Dark Star Gear is sending me an AIWB holster this week.

Irish
10-24-13, 21:52
I got one for my G19 and G26, I got the Paul Howe mod on my G26 one.

What's the mod? I didn't see it listed on their site.

Vendetta
10-24-13, 22:12
What's the mod? I didn't see it listed on their site.

It isn't, I had to e-mail Bruce who explained it to me. Paul Howe did a little write up on it with his monthly newsletter back in December I believe. It's basically an extension of the sweat guard that goes along the slide, that extends maybe a 1/4 of an inch past the rear of the slide. The idea being that you could wear it with gym shorts or throw it in a pack and and use the extension as a place to push off of with your thumb to break the retention, removing the need for a secure point for the holster clip.

Paul Howe and many other guys I respect in their professional capacities is what turned me onto Contact!Concealment. I'm glad I went with them.

TheGut
10-24-13, 22:22
I would throw JM Custom Kydex into the mix. His AIWB holster with the extra tuck option is the most comfortable appendix carry holster I've ever worn.

theblackknight
10-24-13, 22:40
I wore a JM custom for a year.

I've since moved to a Phlster skeleton. Why? It seemed for me the "wedge" made the snap buttons print more that anything else. The Skele has the exact same "foot print" as the VG2, but still allows reholstering. It also has the single loop, which lets the gun cant and move which is WAY comfortable and more accessable when driving. It also lets me have a FBI style cant when not in a car, which hides the gun and lets me get a better grip.

TheGut
10-24-13, 22:53
I wore a JM custom for a year.

I've since moved to a Phlster skeleton. Why? It seemed for me the "wedge" made the snap buttons print more that anything else. The Skele has the exact same "foot print" as the VG2, but still allows reholstering. It also has the single loop, which lets the gun cant and move which is WAY comfortable and more accessable when driving. It also lets me have a FBI style cant when not in a car, which hides the gun and lets me get a better grip.

Dammit now I got to buy a Phlster skeleton to try it out. :) The wedge didn't really make it print anymore for me but I will say it could cause some discomfort sometimes because it pushed the grip so tight against my body that I couldn't bend until moving it around a bit.

Trajan
10-24-13, 22:55
The Archangel lacks a tucking feature. I have one and use it regularly when some printing is acceptable, like mountain biking or mowing the lawn.

Dark Star Gear's AIWB is awesome. Tucking feature works well. It does however add girth to the belt (same issue theblackknight is describing above). This is my go to holster for training.

The VG2 is awesome for when you need deep concealment, like when printing could get you arrested or killed. With this holster, as long as you are wearing a belt, you have no reason not to be carrying a Glock.

NUoSU Concealment also has a great new design for AIWB with an Inforce APL. I have been playing with it for the past week and will begin to edc it starting tomorrow. I did not think AIWB was possible with a WML (aside from seeing some people carrying directly as 12 o'clock) unless you were a female. That was until I checked out the NUoSU AIWB at a recent Hackathorn class. The APL certainly helps, as an X300 or x300u is probably a no go.

Do make sure that regardless of whatever you decide to buy, to pick up an Archangel mag pouch, unless you're already carrying something at left handed appendix.

Also, don't forget to order a holster made for a Glock 17, not the 19. The extra length will also help push the grip inwards.

JB13
10-24-13, 22:59
+1 for Contact Concealment. I used his stuff overseas for a few trips and it held up great. Bruce is a good guy and stands behind his stuff.

Up1911fan
10-24-13, 23:18
The AA isn't even in the same league as the Shaggy, JM or DSG.

oef24
10-24-13, 23:32
I've been using an AA for 3+ years daily. I have tried most of what is out there and keep coming back to the AA.

O

1slow
10-24-13, 23:59
Have: Shaggy with leather heat shield, Archangel, Keeper.
All are good. Keeper and Shaggy tuck in the best.
Archangels for GL21, GL17. Shaggys for GL17, HK45. Keepers for GL17.
I'm 6' 185.

JSantoro
10-25-13, 09:06
The AA isn't even in the same league as the Shaggy, JM or DSG.

I'd not take it that far, only that it will only fit That One body-type without modification.....which puts it pretty firmly within the entire AIWB realm.

Having said that, it didn't work out well for me, either, but it conceals great for folks like John Murphy of FPF Training and some other folks I've seen wear them.

So.....yeah, Shaggy, for both M&P9 and HKP30, but I have yet to use any AIWB holster that didn't benefit from the addition of a foam pad near the muzzle end to tuck the grip in. I don't have the rise necessary for holsters that fit a 5" M&P or a P30L to work without interfering with how the Executive Branch rides, so foam wedges it is.

Soft loops set that close together on any such AIWB holster = holster will move, for me. Never was a fan of not knowing where the grip of the gun will end up, depending upon what I was doing at the time. Went with the solid loop for the Shaggy, and now the whole shebang moves with me as needed, yet the grip stays where I want it for the draw.

Honestly, I think that folks wanting to try AIWB need to reconcile themselves to trying 3-4 different holsters, if not more. The whole thing is just too individual- and body-specific for it to be likely to fall ass-backward into the right one on the first try.

harm
10-25-13, 09:46
A lot of great suggestions bounced out do far. If you are still looking I'd suggest also looking at the GCode/Haley Strategic Incog. I tried a buddies & liked it a lot. They don't make it for my primary ccw gun so I'm SOL - its still great kit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

1slow
10-25-13, 09:48
I agree AIWB are very body type specific.

Irish
10-25-13, 12:51
Honestly, I think that folks wanting to try AIWB need to reconcile themselves to trying 3-4 different holsters, if not more. The whole thing is just too individual- and body-specific for it to be likely to fall ass-backward into the right one on the first try.
No question. Personally, I'd say get on the list for your top 4 or 5 holster designers and give them each a go to narrow it down. There shouldn't be any issue selling them on the 2nd hand market if they're from a reputable company/guy and are a good design. You may lose a couple dollars but it's well worth it to find the right holster for your particular, individual tastes and comfort.

kdcgrohl
10-25-13, 13:03
AIWB is the only way I can successfully pull off the first C in CCW with my body shape(out of shape most of the time, but never round).

The best feature of the AA is it's low, rounded profile over the slide. You can get it much closer to your junk without discomfort. IMO the folded style holsters are the only way to go with a AIWB, any two piece will have a seam on both sides, one of which will dig in and hurt like hell.

What I ended up with was a modified AA. I moved the attachment holes for the loops up a 1/4 to 3/8", thus dropping the holster further into the pants. I also cut down the sweat guard because it poked me too much when leaning, bending or sitting. It's now a quarter inch shorter than the Glock 19, which is much more comfortable against the skin that the kydex blade. Finally, I lightly file dressed the top edge of the rear sight so it isn't sharp. This has been a successful carry solution for years now.

okie john
10-26-13, 08:53
I don't have a Shaggy, but I do have an Archangel. It's extremely well made and durable. I recommend it without hesitation. That said, AIWB isn't for every body type, and even if it works for you, it can take considerable fiddling to get it dialed in 100%. It might not hurt to try the AIWB concept with a less expensive rig, like a Blade Tech Nano. It's not as burly as the Archangel, but it's half the money and makes a good backup rig.

Also, don't forget to order a holster made for a Glock 17, not the 19. The extra length will also help push the grip inwards.

This is excellent advice. It's completely counter-intuitive, but with pretty much any IWB type of carry, even a G26 conceals better in a G17 holster.

Okie John

tmoore912
10-26-13, 17:20
For me...............the Shaggy or the JMCK, made for a G17, conceals better than the Archangels that I used for years.

All have a foam wedge attached at the bottom.

My Dark Star Gear holster works well with my Shield. It's made to G19 length.

Dos Cylindros
10-26-13, 17:31
I wore the Archangel for my G23 and after a month or two I just could not get used to it. The grip poked out and the gun always felt as though it wanted to roll out of the top of my belt line. I have two JM Custom AIWB's in route. One for my P30 and one for my HK45. The JM (much like the shaggy) has a wedge feature at the snap or belt line which serves to tuck the grip in and you can order the extra tuck feature which will tilt the gun back into the body even more if you desire. I talked with Tony on the phone when I ordered and he suggested the extra tuck for my HK45, but not the P30. I am really anticipating their arrival.

Horsehide
10-26-13, 19:10
At 6' and 220 lbs, I am not exactly built like a ballerina, but the Archangel fits my needs for daily carry: it offers a stable platform to my G17, conceals said pistol easily under a light shirt and is easy to keep clean (a point often overlooked). Has been my choice for many years now.
For those who like tuckable holsters, Dale Fricke also offers a couple of versions. No personal experience with them.