PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 1911 (Need advice)

Bandanabandit1
10-25-13, 08:14
Hey everyone, I'm looking to pick up a new 1911 in the next few months. I was looking very hard at the Ruger sr1911, and really liked what I read and saw about it. Do anyone of you have anything you would like to say about it if you have one? I was mainly looking for something reliable around the $700 range and also made out of stainless. Thank you all for your help (please feel free to throw in other suggestions if you have something in mind).

MODS- please move to the 1911 section if its more appropriate. Im sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

samuse
10-25-13, 09:23
Why stainless? It sucks.

$700 is about as cheap as you can go on a 1911, I wouldn't expect much at that price point.

My recommendation is always a Springfield Mil-Spec. If you decide you like 1911s, they're worth using as a base gun.

Army Chief
10-25-13, 09:29
It's not only in the wrong section, but this happens to be a fairly redundant topic, if you do a bit of searching. Not saying you did anything wrong, but this particular question ("which 1911?") comes up fairly often, and you should be able to find more than enough information here to help you find your way without initiating another thread.

You are welcome to do that in the appropriate area (1911 board) if you find that you still are left with unanswered questions, of course, but try to do a bit of reading first, so you're better able to quantify what you're actually looking for. I think you will discover fairly quickly that it isn't going to be a Ruger.

As a 1911 guy myself, the only production-grade 1911s I would even consider would be from Colt -- or perhaps certain Springfield models. The rest tend to suffer mightily from quality and setup issues that may not be immediately apparent to the purely recreational shooter, but which remove from any consideration as a serious defensive tool.

AC