PDA

View Full Version : HK Customer Service

Fireman1291
10-25-13, 20:40
Read the description below the video for the saga that is....the broken USP. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1sQmGg23M

badness
10-25-13, 22:10
I found this comment to be quite hilarious.

http://i.imgur.com/hgCSWdU.png

brushy bill
10-25-13, 22:20
IMHO the guy got off easy...$160 for a basically new gun including shipping when he knowingly violated their warranty with an unapproved suppressor. Looks like a plug for HK customer service to me.

Mauser KAR98K
10-26-13, 00:42
IMHO the guy got off easy...$160 for a basically new gun including shipping when he knowingly violated their warranty with an unapproved suppressor. Looks like a plug for HK customer service to me.

+1.

Dude got lucky, IMO.

Is it bad for pistols to fire high round counts suppressed?

foxtrotx1
10-26-13, 01:02
Seems like you got off easy and HK treated you fairly considering you ignored their warnings. Looks like there is a reason they only recommend those brands of suppressors.

kwelz
10-26-13, 01:34
I see the point of a couple posters but it also seems like a bit of a Cop out by HK to claim they only warranty if used with a couple suppressors.

Kind of like a car company only honoring the warranty if you use Firestone tires.

Fireman1291
10-26-13, 07:09
I see the point of a couple posters but it also seems like a bit of a Cop out by HK to claim they only warranty if used with a couple suppressors.

Kind of like a car company only honoring the warranty if you use Firestone tires.

This is my point.

Yes I ponied up the $160 and wasn't real pissed as I thought that was cheap for a new frame and recoil assembly, however, they really should look into updating the warranty on a pistol engineered and sold to run a suppressor.

With the suppressor market growing some 73% in the past year they need to re-evaluate the current offerings and test them with the suppressor ready guns that they sell.

The armorer agreed with me and said to just swap the recoil springs with new ones every 2-3K of suppressed fire. Or to buy a extra power spring kit from wolff and play around with what heavier weight will still cycle.

AFAIK other gun manufactures like Glock, sig, S&W, ruger etc will warranty regardless of suppressor use. And those guns aren't even close to the price of this "tactical" that was designed from the ground up to use a can. I know S&W does and they do it with a smile, I had 3 broken P22's and all were replaced with new guns and shipping paid for by S&W. Guess which gun manufacturer I recommend first.

Some companies don't see the power in customer service.

Fireman1291
10-26-13, 07:12
I found this comment to be quite hilarious.

http://i.imgur.com/hgCSWdU.png:haha:

Yeah I was laughing when I saw his comment. Guns break, they are mechanical and some people just don't get that. The difference of course is which company stands behind their product 100% regardless of what the customer did.;)

khc3
10-26-13, 09:48
+1.

Dude got lucky, IMO.

Is it bad for pistols to fire high round counts suppressed?

Probably.

Other than the Mark 23/KAC suppressor program, I doubt there's been any long-term suppressor testing on pistols by any manufacturer.

I think people who want to shoot many thousands of rounds through any other pistol/can combo have to realize they are in uncharted territory, both in regard to wear/damage and the manufacturer's response.

Dos Cylindros
10-26-13, 18:02
While I certainly understand the frustration of them only approving of two types of suppressors, I think the customer service was fairly good. It is their product after all, and they do have the right to decide which suppressors they warranty and which they don't. In reality, I'm not sure how much difference there is each type of suppressor, but $160 for basically an entirely new gun sounds pretty good to me.

It's my understanding that HK recoil assemblies are rated for 20,000 rounds (at least my HK45 is) so I find it strange that the armorer told you to change out every 2-3K if always running suppressed. I know there is a pressure increase when running a can, but is it really that much?

khc3
10-26-13, 19:32
It's not just backpressure, but Nielsen devices, LIDs, whatever they're called, are also called recoil boosters because they add to the recoil impulse through spring pressure.

It's an entirely new part of the operating cycle that the original manufacturer didn't engineer into the gun.

opmike
10-27-13, 04:58
Seems like your issue is less with customer service and more with the company's written policy for compatible suppressors.

Psalms144.1
10-27-13, 09:07
Personally, I'm unsure of your complaint. Glock doesn't warranty their pistols with any use of non-jacketed ammunition, if you shoot lead and have a problem, they won't cover the warranty. Even if you're shooting jacketed and have BTF or other FTE-related issues, they're going to want you to ship the pistol in on your dime. Removing the GRIPS from your Sig pistol voids the warranty. I could go on and on.

On a related note, $65 for a frame is a SMOKING HOT deal. Frame upgrade on a Glock (if you're trying to replace an older frame or you screw up yours through some "non-warranteed" activity) is $120.

Glad your HK is back in business, and you're back to shooting it with a non-recommended supressor.

Regards,

Kevin

Abraham
10-27-13, 10:45
"and you're back to shooting it with a non-recommended suppressor"

I did a search regarding "non-recommended suppressors" and no joy...

As I plan to get into suppressors for both pistol and rifle, what suppressors should be avoided?

Sorry for the thead jack.

Trajan
10-27-13, 11:04
Probably.

Other than the Mark 23/KAC suppressor program, I doubt there's been any long-term suppressor testing on pistols by any manufacturer.

I think people who want to shoot many thousands of rounds through any other pistol/can combo have to realize they are in uncharted territory, both in regard to wear/damage and the manufacturer's response.

I'm curious as to what one does with an HK45T or HK45CT as there are no officially recommended cans for these models AFAIK.

rjacobs
10-27-13, 11:39
I'm curious as to what one does with an HK45T or HK45CT as there are no officially recommended cans for these models AFAIK.

Not give two shits. I have a thousand or so rounds(which aint that many) through my 45C with HK threaded barrel and an AAC Ti-Rant45. I do inspect it a little more thoroughly than my other pistols, but so far, I havent seen anything out of the ordinary. I think HK(dont have my manual on me right now) does recommend more frequent spring changes.

And if it comes down to it and I have to pay for a new frame, meh, not the end of the world except I have an FDE gun which they cant replace.

khc3
10-27-13, 13:29

I think you just have to expect that shooting with a can will cause accelerated wear, and take it from there.

Like Robert said, things can be fixed and, generally, replaced.

For me, I can't shoot at my house, or any other place where quiet is required, so I've had to realize that my pistol cans are basically toys.

I have a couple of them, and dedicated hosts, which I shoot from time to time (usually with noobs) for fun.

I don't use cans on any of my carry/HD pistols.

Psalms144.1
10-27-13, 17:17
"and you're back to shooting it with a non-recommended suppressor"

I did a search regarding "non-recommended suppressors" and no joy...

As I plan to get into suppressors for both pistol and rifle, what suppressors should be avoided?

Sorry for the thead jack.Abraham - as I understand it, HK only warranties that model with two specific suppressors - the Knights and one other (OP stated something about that in the beginning of his thread). Based on his youtube video, after his problems, he went back to shooting the can that he had, which is not a Knights, or the other brand that HK covers...

Regards,

Kevin

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-27-13, 17:39
Abraham - as I understand it, HK only warranties that model with two specific suppressors - the Knights and one other (OP stated something about that in the beginning of his thread). Based on his youtube video, after his problems, he went back to shooting the can that he had, which is not a Knights, or the other brand that HK covers...

Regards,

Kevin

BT and KAC cans only apparently. Interesting policy....

rjacobs
10-27-13, 18:44
What I REALLY find interesting is that the HK45C was supposedly designed and tested for the SOCOM(or whatever acronym) pistol replacement.

The AAC TiRant 45S was ALSO supposedly developed for the same program.

So if both things are in fact TRUE, why isnt the HK45C warrantied with the AAC TiRant series of cans?

H&K
10-27-13, 20:18
What I REALLY find interesting is that the HK45C was supposedly designed and tested for the SOCOM(or whatever acronym) pistol replacement.

The AAC TiRant 45S was ALSO supposedly developed for the same program.

So if both things are in fact TRUE, why isnt the HK45C warrantied with the AAC TiRant series of cans?

That's because SOCOM(or whatever acronym) did the testing, not HK !

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-27-13, 20:21
That's because SOCOM(or whatever acronym) did the testing, not HK !

True, but I have to wonder if this is simply an outdated policy that was never rewritten or if this is still their current belief. I would ASSume that B&T makes a host of foreign military suppressors, and KAC was the main contract for the US mil in cans so thats where this came from. Again, that is my ASSumption.

H&K
10-27-13, 20:34
HK Germany has only approved what they tested in Germany several years ago and none done in the US. When the HK45T came out It was very strongly mentioned by a certain person at HK USA that something should be done to ''approve'' more cans for all the threaded barrel guns being produced. It was implied that would happen at Wilcox. To my knowledge that has not happened yet.

Abraham
10-28-13, 09:26
Psalms144.1 (Kevin)

Thank you very much for the response!

MichaelVain
10-28-13, 13:01
This looks more like a wear and tear issue rather than a design or materials defect issue.

It seems more like the OP was not happy that HK would validate his choice in suppressor.

montrala
10-28-13, 15:35

HK45/C series have completely different recoil assembly that USP (full size). UPSf one works in very (too) sophisticated way. Also assembly for tactical versions in USP have different timing that those in Tactical versions. In "simpler" recoil assemblies (no floating recoil assembly with moving recoil lugs) like those in USP Compact/P2000/P30(L)/HK45(C) series things are not so timing depended - so those pistols either work with given suppressor or not, but no other specific requirements there.

Trajan
10-28-13, 16:52
HK45/C series have completely different recoil assembly that USP (full size). UPSf one works in very (too) sophisticated way. Also assembly for tactical versions in USP have different timing that those in Tactical versions. In "simpler" recoil assemblies (no floating recoil assembly with moving recoil lugs) like those in USP Compact/P2000/P30(L)/HK45(C) series things are not so timing depended - so those pistols either work with given suppressor or not, but no other specific requirements there.

Makes sense, thanks. Wasn't even thinking of the different recoil assembly being tuned for suppressors.

Fireman1291
10-28-13, 18:28
It's not just backpressure, but Nielsen devices, LIDs, whatever they're called, are also called recoil boosters because they add to the recoil impulse through spring pressure.

It's an entirely new part of the operating cycle that the original manufacturer didn't engineer into the gun.

Negative. The Tactical's recoil system was beefed up for suppressor use. The part for a standard USP45 and the USPT45 are different recoil assemblies. Just some info case you didn't know.;)

khc3
10-29-13, 23:23
Negative. The Tactical's recoil system was beefed up for suppressor use. The part for a standard USP45 and the USPT45 are different recoil assemblies. Just some info case you didn't know.;)

I was talking generally.