PDA

View Full Version : Plastic separating from metal in Glock magazine

surfish95747
10-26-13, 11:14
Hey guys, I hope this is the place for this question. I have an old magazine marked leo restricted 9.13.94, so it's old, and the plastic is separating from the internal metal, causing it to catch as I'm insterting into the gun. Is there a fix for this. Glock won't do anything for it as it is too old. Anyways thanks guys!

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/surfish/368565477c43170a177b6724e4f07a93_zpsf840f7b5.jpg

Bandanabandit1
10-26-13, 11:17
No. No. No. A malfunction with a Glock made item? Can't be true. :rolleyes:

Why not just get a new mag?

BBossman
10-26-13, 11:21
Don't fall in love with your magazines, when they wear out, throw them away and get a replacement.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Bandanabandit1
10-26-13, 11:27
Don't fall in love with your magazines, when they wear out, throw them away and get a replacement.

^Good advice.

surfish95747
10-26-13, 11:30

Before I throw something out, I like to see if there is a way to fix them. If not, then I throw them out. Thanks.

CoryCop25
10-26-13, 11:34
People in some states do not have the luxury of just throwing out magazines. NY,NJ,CA etc.

This is a common thing with older Glock mags. Replace it or put it in your rotation of training magazines.

RWH24
10-26-13, 13:56

Magazines are meant to be an expendable item. CRUSH IT, Throw it Away!

Say, "Get Thee From Me Mag!"

Swag
10-26-13, 14:04
Looks like it has fulfilled it's service life and then some

Abraham
10-26-13, 14:55
Sad to say, but even Glock magazines have a life cycle - pitch it!

surfish95747
10-26-13, 15:27
Haha, thanks everyone. I am going to have some fun with it before I toss it. Thanks for telling me what I was afraid of. It's a sad day to throw out a magazine.

fivestar51
10-29-13, 07:35
I've had the same experience with some of my duty mags. My captain (Glock armorer) says "nothing to worry about." I will say that I never had a failure with the 2 mags that this happened with. That said, here was my fix:

I bought 3 brand new magazines from an online retailer. I took the old issued mags out of my equipment and sent them to Glock, along with a brief letter explaining the problem. About a month later Glock sent me 3 brand new magazines, free of charge. For the cost of 3, I ended up with 6 new mags. The broken mags were, at that time, at least 10 yrs old and had remained fully loaded 95% of the time.

ST911
10-29-13, 07:44
Trim off any excess polymer in the area of concern and designate the magazine for training use only. Your magazine is at least nine years old, and is probably due for retirement.

As mags age, another point to watch are any seams. In the Glock, pop the floor plate off and look up the inside of the back wall of the magazine. You'll see a zipper that runs up the length of the mag where the sides of the metal insert join. As the mag body expands and compresses, that zipper can separate, fold in on itself, or intrude into the follower path creating feed problems. If it does, the mag is done.

As others noted, magazines are a wear item and should be regularly rotated.

TMS951
10-29-13, 09:55
People in some states do not have the luxury of just throwing out magazines. NY,NJ,CA etc.

This is a common thing with older Glock mags. Replace it or put it in your rotation of training magazines.

I would more so say some people do not have the luxury of buying new replacement standard cap mags.

Being in a ban state does not make it acceptable or smart to keep a worn out magazine.

In those states the smart thing would be to use low cap mags that are readily available for practice and save your standard cap mags for carry/HD.