PDA

View Full Version : HK45CT, aka Mk24 - The Trigger

MountainRaven
10-27-13, 23:19
I seem to recall reading somewhere (I forget where, I think it was here or on lf.net) that when the HK45C was being evaluated for adoption that there were some complaints about the pistol's double action trigger pull, that H&K was aware of these complaints, and was planning a fix....

So, my question, was there a fix? Did H&K improve the double-action triggers on their HK45CTs and did this carry over to the commercial production guns?

Thanks!

ralph
10-28-13, 03:54
Not unless you like a 12# DA trigger pull...I converted my .45ct to light LEM.. much nicer..

scooter22
10-28-13, 04:14
I am completely unfamiliar with DA/SA guns; so please excuse my ignorance.

Is it not possible to carry in Condition 1, therefore allowing for SA operation only?

Vendetta
10-28-13, 07:31
I am completely unfamiliar with DA/SA guns; so please excuse my ignorance.

Is it not possible to carry in Condition 1, therefore allowing for SA operation only?

It's possible.... but not very smart.

scooter22
10-28-13, 07:35
It's possible.... but not very smart.

What's the difference between that and carrying a 1911 Condition 1?

loupav
10-28-13, 10:42
HK45/c is fitted with a thumb safety, so yes it is possible to carry a-la 1911 cocked and locked.

However if I recall correctly, the HK45C "mk24" is a V3 which means NO-safety, decock only, with the lever on the left side. Most of my HKs are set up this way.

I'm not sure if the commercial "mk24's" were V3 as well.

MountainRaven
10-28-13, 12:08
You can get the HK45CT with the safety. But I'm not fond of running H&Ks (except maybe the P30S) the way I run a 1911… the thumb safety just isn't comfortable for me to rest my thumb on!

Only reason I ask is because of the relative difficulty of getting the HK45CT (or any HK45, actually) with any trigger but the DA/SA with safety. LEM (with no lever) would be my first choice. And if I gotta buy a DA/SA and convert it, I will, but I would prefer not to….

samuse
10-28-13, 12:30
What's the difference between that and carrying a 1911 Condition 1?

Because not carrying a 1911 is not smart...:D

Dos Cylindros
10-28-13, 12:44
The main complaint about the HK45c or any HK DA/SA trigger is the weight of the DA pull. As for the HK45c specifically, there was a small run that had a false reset which could cause you to short stroke the trigger. HK is aware of it and will fix it as far as I know. My HK45 has the LEM trigger which I much prefer to their DA/SA offerings.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-28-13, 17:01
I always carry mine cocked and locked. But I practice both ways. The trigger is heavy but smooth. Great dry fire practice trigger. Lol

Ed L.
10-28-13, 17:06
I carry mine cocked and locked as well. Mine is an HK45C, not the 45CT. I believe that the HK45CT can be carried D/A first shot only, and the safety only functions as a decocker. As always, I may be wrong.

Psalms144.1
10-28-13, 17:36
The NSW issued HK45CT (never heard of it referred to as a Mk24, personally) is DA/SA DECOCK ONLY - so carrying SA (holstering hammer back) would probably cause my Russian friends to say "diss iss Prohblehm..."

Civilian versions with safety/decock or safety only can (and probably should, based on my issued pistol) be carried cocked & locked. The DA on my issued pistol was in excess of 14#.

Regards,

Kevin

DreadPirateMoyer
10-28-13, 18:45
I carry mine cocked and locked as well. Mine is an HK45C, not the 45CT. I believe that the HK45CT can be carried D/A first shot only, and the safety only functions as a decocker. As always, I may be wrong.

I have 2 HKCTs, sequential serials. I'm not sure of the version (V1?) since HK's classifications confuse the hell out of me, but the safety lever functions as both: a safety and a decocker (safe - up, decock - down). It can be safely carried SA for the first shot.

This is why I will never understand complaints about the DA pull of HK's. You can carry cocked and locked, and if anything, I think that's both the best and safest way to carry (especially for police/military in the case of gun takeaways). Then, in the worst of worst-case scenarios, the DA still allows you second-strike capability.

Personally, I love my DA/SA HK's. Haters gonna hate.

ralph
10-28-13, 18:52
You can get the HK45CT with the safety. But I'm not fond of running H&Ks (except maybe the P30S) the way I run a 1911… the thumb safety just isn't comfortable for me to rest my thumb on!

Only reason I ask is because of the relative difficulty of getting the HK45CT (or any HK45, actually) with any trigger but the DA/SA with safety. LEM (with no lever) would be my first choice. And if I gotta buy a DA/SA and convert it, I will, but I would prefer not to….

I believe Grant explained to me via E-mail that the tactical's only come from the factory in DA/SA. I bought my .45ct more or less on impulse, But, after I got it and shot it (mostly in SA) and seeing that it's very accurate, I changed it to light LEM..(my P-2000, and P-30 are both light LEM) I'm afraid that if you want a .45ct in LEM, you'll either have to do it yourself or send it to HK and have them do it..

iLift45s
10-28-13, 19:30
Didn't even shoot mine until Gray Guns did a full action and trigger job on it. Single action is around 4lbs and the double action is around 8-9 lbs. This is one of the finest .45's I've ever shot!

The Mark 24 is v3 which makes it decocker only. The 45C is v1 which has the decocker and safety position.

Sensei
10-28-13, 20:02
Didn't even shoot mine until Gray Guns did a full action and trigger job on it. Single action is around 4lbs and the double action is around 8-9 lbs. This is one of the finest .45's I've ever shot!

The Mark 24 is v3 which makes it decocker only. The 45C is v1 which has the decocker and safety position.

That is good to hear. I have Bruce's short reset package on 2 Sigs. Glad to know that the improvement is similar to the Sig's.

HKGuns
10-28-13, 20:18
However if I recall correctly, the HK45C "mk24" is a V3 which means NO-safety, decock only, with the lever on the left side. Most of my HKs are set up this way.

I'm not sure if the commercial "mk24's" were V3 as well.

Correct the only one's I've seen are V3 like mine below..... There may be some available with the safety, not sure.

I believe Grant explained to me via E-mail that the tactical's only come from the factory in DA/SA.

Yes, i've only seen models without the safety.

The DA on my issued pistol was in excess of 14#.

I've never measured my pull weight, but there is a hammer spur there if you prefer not to endure the DA pull, SA is a pretty nice trigger.

Exhibit A:

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v76/p1470013726-4.jpg

DreadPirateMoyer
10-28-13, 21:19
The NSW models (Mk24) are V3s, but that does not mean civilian models are only V3s. Like I said above, there are HK45CT V1s (w/ safety) as well. I have two of them.

Heck, you can see them right here on EuroOptic's webpage (which is where I got mine from since I live in PA; only linking as evidence that HK45CT V1s exist).

http://www.eurooptic.com/hk-pistols.aspx

I much prefer the V1s so I can carry cocked and locked.

RHINOWSO
10-28-13, 21:37
HKs have never been known for uber light and smooth DA pulls put of the box. They can improve with use or spring changes.

Bruce Gray and his crew at GGI to amazing work on HKs. My three HKs are all light LEM and have the GGI reduced reset action work.

HKs variant numbers can be confusing, as it changes between USP/HK45 and P2000/P30s - for example a V1 P30 is Light LEM but a V1 HK45 is DA/SA w/ safety & decocker.

Another note is USP/HK45 series can be changed back and forth from variant to variant - aka, DA/SA TO LEM, dual side safety, single side, etc, etc. The P2000/P30s have no factory supported action changes, although some limited changes can & have been done.

Mjolnir
10-29-13, 19:31
Just LEM it.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

mrosamilia
11-12-13, 17:30
I have a question concerning false reset. I hear a distinct click and can feel it in the trigger before the actual reset. Has anyone else encountered this?

ralph
11-12-13, 18:31
I have a question concerning false reset. I hear a distinct click and can feel it in the trigger before the actual reset. Has anyone else encountered this?

There was a thread over at HKpro about this, Yours sounds like it has the false reset, call HKUSA. they'll fix, (and I might add very quickly, too) and it's covered under warranty. They'll probably pay for shipping both ways ,too. I had a problem with a LEM kit I bought from them,(for my HK45ct) and had installed, they paid for shipping both ways, fixed it, called me to let me know it was fixed, and what the problem was,(turns out it wasn't the LEM kit nor my installation, but trigger bar, and hammer strut) and started shipping it back to me within 7 hrs of it showing up at their door.. They also installed a set of Trijicon HD's for me, at no charge( I was prepared to pay for installation, but when I asked about it, they (Sam Bass at HK) told me to put them in the box along with a note to remind him, and he'd install them at no charge) HK's customer service nowadays is unbelievable..

11-13-13, 07:41
I called HK yesterday to inquire about changing my P-30 from V3 to LEM. Guy told me it couldn't be done. He did say that some are buying their own parts and doing it themselves. This would nullify the warranty he said.

GlockWRX
11-13-13, 09:11
Guy told me it couldn't be done. He did say that some are buying their own parts and doing it themselves.

This would seem to nullify the guy's own claim. Either it is technically possible to switch it out, or it isn't. How are people doing it themselves? Or is this a decree from HK 'thou shall not switch a P30 from V3 to LEM'?

rathos
11-13-13, 12:16
problem with swapping a p30 is you are left with a big hole in the back where the decocker used to be. Is it possible to switch it, yes. Is it advisable, I would say no as leaving a giant hole in the back is not the best. Also I do not know if swapping this out causes the warranty to be null in void.

This would seem to nullify the guy's own claim. Either it is technically possible to switch it out, or it isn't. How are people doing it themselves? Or is this a decree from HK 'thou shall not switch a P30 from V3 to LEM'?

montrala
11-13-13, 15:17
problem with swapping a p30 is you are left with a big hole in the back where the decocker used to be.

If this is a problem, then do not remove de-cocker. LEM will still work and you can use de-cocker if you like. Actually there is factory variant exactly like that. It is called V0 and only difference to V1/2/4 LEM would be that V0 uses spurred hammer (looks like V3 hammer). V0 never were sold in US. I actually converted my P2000SK V0 to V1 LEM because spurred hammer and de-cocker button annoyed me. Gap left by removed de-cocker (I would not call it "big hole") does not annoy me and does not hurt pistol in any way. There is no more dirt coming inside, as it already can around hammer and HK trigger system seems to be "dirt resistant". It should be, it is combat trigger, not some fancy hair trigger for competition gun that stops working when planets are not in proper relation.

I think HK USA does not support V3 -> LEM conversion for legal (liability) reasons. It is hard to blame them on that.

Things are different here (people are responsible for they are doing, can not put blame on manufacturers and sue them for big $$$) and HK allows V3 -> LEM. I actually got V4.1 LEM conversion kit for my V3 P30L straight from HK. They also sent me chart with part numbers needed to convert any P30/L variant (including V3) to LEM V4.1 and gave OK to publish it on my blog.

mrosamilia
11-14-13, 12:20
There was a thread over at HKpro about this, Yours sounds like it has the false reset, call HKUSA. they'll fix, (and I might add very quickly, too) and it's covered under warranty. They'll probably pay for shipping both ways ,too. I had a problem with a LEM kit I bought from them,(for my HK45ct) and had installed, they paid for shipping both ways, fixed it, called me to let me know it was fixed, and what the problem was,(turns out it wasn't the LEM kit nor my installation, but trigger bar, and hammer strut) and started shipping it back to me within 7 hrs of it showing up at their door.. They also installed a set of Trijicon HD's for me, at no charge( I was prepared to pay for installation, but when I asked about it, they (Sam Bass at HK) told me to put them in the box along with a note to remind him, and he'd install them at no charge) HK's customer service nowadays is unbelievable..

Thank you!! I new I had heard about it. Calling HK today.

Sent from my iPhone guaranteeing nothing.

Pappabear
11-15-13, 00:28
My P30L has only a decocker so I run it DA/SA with no problem. I did get a trigger job though.

My Hk45T & 45CT, I run both ways and practice both ways. Either feels fine to me. It makes you a better marksman. I think I get sloppy running MNP's with apex package and nice 1911's. So the HK ground me and makes me concentrate, which is good.

PB