PDA

View Full Version : Advices on buying HK USP compact in 9mm

npthaiduong
10-30-13, 08:55
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for the USP 9c as my CCW. Is there anything I need to know before pulling the trigger?

I borrowed one from my friend last week and love it. Does anyone from Minnesota know any good HK dealers and have purchased from them before?

Many thanks :)

loupav
10-30-13, 09:13
Try looking at a P2000. Same magazines available in 9mm or 40 and has a standard rail. Also the slide profile might make it easier/more comfortable to carry.

Archer1440
10-30-13, 09:36
Good and reliable weapons. In variant one, if carried cocked and locked, take care not to sweep to decock on the draw stroke.

Bore height is a little high and can slow follow up shots unless you get aggressive with recoil control. A hard Weaver seems well suited to these pistols for me, but both of mine are in .45 ACP.

KevinC
10-30-13, 10:22
I own one. And I use it as my CCW on most occasions. Mine is in Variant 1 mode and I carry it hammer down. If you don't like a first shot double action you can carry it cocked and locked but as Archer1440 stated you do have a tendency to sweep the decock on the draw.

I own a USP Fullsize and compact both in 9mm. Both quality pistols that have given me thousands of trouble free rounds.

Gary1911A1
10-30-13, 11:27
I have a P2000 and prefer it as I didn't find the thumb safety of the USP to be 1911 like. The rail of the P2000 is also easier to attach a light to if that's a factor for you.

npthaiduong
10-30-13, 11:29
Thank you for your inputs guys. I appreciate that. Do you guys have any recommendation about which place to find a good P2000 and which is a nice price on it?

High Tower
10-30-13, 11:51
Thank you for your inputs guys. I appreciate that. Do you guys have any recommendation about which place to find a good P2000 and which is a nice price on it?

If you can, compare the two at a place that rents them. Its very much a personal thing as I absolutely prefer the USPc over the 2000.

I have never had an issue decocking on the draw so that is also something that may or may not be a problem for you.

ShipWreck
10-30-13, 12:12
I have owned both. Actually, I've owned 7 different HK handguns in the past. The P2000 in 9mm was my favorite of all of them. For whatever reason, I shot it better than I did the USPc in 9mm.

kevN
10-30-13, 13:41
I have owned both. Actually, I've owned 7 different HK handguns in the past. The P2000 in 9mm was my favorite of all of them. For whatever reason, I shot it better than I did the USPc in 9mm.

I'm in Minneapolis and I don't recommend buying guns locally. I would buy via gun broker and have transferred to Burnsville Pistol Range and do your FFL pickup there for $25.

If you want to try local, Frontier Sportsman off of 394 just west of 100 would be a good place. I've found them to be the most practical of the local gunships.

Bill's would be the place to go to try and rent one, they have three locations in the metro area.

I also owned a P2000 and carried it as my EDC for ~1yr. It's a good gun but my DA/SA model wasn't the best learning how to shoot gun. I only carry/own Glocks now.

-kevN

G4PI09
10-30-13, 14:55
Either of the bills gun shop locations have a decent hk selection, but the price is kind of steep. I'll say what another member said and go with gunbroker

npthaiduong
10-30-13, 17:12
I stopped by Bill's couple weeks ago, and they had one HK USPc in .45 for $899. It is not a bad deal I think, but I am looking for a 9mm one.

Which is the average price for the USPc 9mm and P2000 9mm?

G4PI09
10-30-13, 17:16
Try bills in robbinsdale, they had a bunch of usp 9 full sizes and I'm pretty sure they had a 9c a week ago. I'd say for a new usp anything around 800 would be a decent deal.

npthaiduong
10-30-13, 17:18
Try bills in robbinsdale, they had a bunch of usp 9 full sizes and I'm pretty sure they had a 9c a week ago. I'd say for a new usp anything around 800 would be a decent deal.

Thank you. I will give them a call or visit this week :D

svtpwnz
10-30-13, 17:59
The P2000 and USP are great pistols and I would highly suggest renting/borrowing both and put 100 rounds through each before settling on one. I personally like the P30 better than either of those though and it has 15+1 capacity to boot.

I don't know what LGS prices are like in your area but if it is anything like around here, I would buy from Buds on line. I saved over $150 on my P30 that I just recently bought from Buds vs. my LGS. I have a local FFL that only charges $20 for transfers and shipping is free at Buds too.

coastwatcher42
10-30-13, 18:23
Don't forget that Grant at G&R Tactical sells HK pistols.

npthaiduong
10-30-13, 18:47

Do you know they have discount for LEO or military? Thanks

they
10-30-13, 22:10
don't

ETA: ;)

britishtq
10-30-13, 22:19
I doubt you'll de cock on the draw stroke. I would go with it. They are nice pistols and hk quality is very high. I literally just recommended an hk USP compact to someone on here.

npthaiduong
10-30-13, 22:47
I doubt you'll de cock on the draw stroke. I would go with it. They are nice pistols and hk quality is very high. I literally just recommended an hk USP compact to someone on here.

Consider myself a newbie, which is the most significant difference between the USPc and P30?

G4PI09
10-30-13, 23:08
In my opinion the p30 is superior to the usp in every way. Better ergonomics being the most noticeable. I have large hands and when I have to qualify with my work gun which is a usp I always struggle with thumb placement because of the decocker and the relative short grip for a full size pistol. If your not sold on the usp compact I'd take a very hard look at the p30 v1 light lem. Excellent trigger and no decocker.

G4PI09
10-30-13, 23:21
ETA- what I meant to say is the p30 v1 has an excellent trigger as far as hk's go.....

SkiDevil
10-31-13, 06:46
I stopped by Bill's couple weeks ago, and they had one HK USPc in .45 for $899. It is not a bad deal I think, but I am looking for a 9mm one.

Which is the average price for the USPc 9mm and P2000 9mm?

When I purchsed my HK USP 9mm Compact I paid approx. $925.00 Total on the West Coast. The prices vary somewhat but I would say around $850-950 is a realistic range.

Gunbroker may be an option, however many dealers overcharge to complete the transfer. I have used GB in the past but usually try to purchse locally when possible.

I currently own 2 USP compact models in .45 and 9mm and in my opinion they are excellent pistols. Pretty much anything produced by HK will be very accurate, durable, and most importantly reliable.

As someone else said, rent/ borrow a couple of different models and see what you prefer. I chose the USP 9C over the P2000 because I preferred the trigger and wanted stippling on the pistol grip. Finally, I also favored the standard decocker on the frame versus at the back of the slide and do not care for detachable back straps on a pistol.

There are some other threads on here regrading the USP compact 9 and the P2000 worth reading and I would recommend looking over at HK Forum where there is a great deal of information on the various models.

svtpwnz
10-31-13, 08:05

Good call! I just checked and he has a nice selection of HK's priced very reasonably. Fast shipping and a great guy to deal with. Also, I have seen several good used deals the past month on the EE here and a couple other sites. I have noticed a downward price trend on gun sales in the EE. There is a great selection of nice firearms right now priced well and still not moving, so you may find a great deal on a used HK if you keep an eye out.

npthaiduong
10-31-13, 13:17
When I purchsed my HK USP 9mm Compact I paid approx. $925.00 Total on the West Coast. The prices vary somewhat but I would say around $850-950 is a realistic range.

Gunbroker may be an option, however many dealers overcharge to complete the transfer. I have used GB in the past but usually try to purchse locally when possible.

I currently own 2 USP compact models in .45 and 9mm and in my opinion they are excellent pistols. Pretty much anything produced by HK will be very accurate, durable, and most importantly reliable.

As someone else said, rent/ borrow a couple of different models and see what you prefer. I chose the USP 9C over the P2000 because I preferred the trigger and wanted stippling on the pistol grip. Finally, I also favored the standard decocker on the frame versus at the back of the slide and do not care for detachable back straps on a pistol.

There are some other threads on here regrading the USP compact 9 and the P2000 worth reading and I would recommend looking over at HK Forum where there is a great deal of information on the various models.

Did you get night sight with that price too?

SkiDevil
10-31-13, 13:39
Did you get night sight with that price too?

No, night sights are extra.

arcticlightfighter
10-31-13, 18:15
I'm in Minneapolis and I don't recommend buying guns locally. I would buy via gun broker and have transferred to Burnsville Pistol Range and do your FFL pickup there for $25.

-kevN

Really, why would you recommend this? Ive purchased two USPC's from Gunstop in Minnetonka in the last month.

USPC 9mm LNIB barely used, maybe a le5ss than 100 rds fired $549

USPC .40 excellent condtion, factory 2 tone, similar internal wear, little more holster wear but not much $ 490 OTD.

You have to be patient, they show up time to time. I bought the 9mm C the same day as my NIB P30 9mm. Use the same mags, nice feature.

I am running the LITE LEM in my P30, all my other HK's are V1 (DA/SA/Decocker)

I agree the P30 is a completely different animal than the USP. I have always liked the USP as a defensive handgun and have a full size 9mm with a lot of 6 18 rd mags. I can run the USP's pretty fast. Im still trying to get used to the P30 LEM trigger. It going to take me another 1k to really get it down.

npthaiduong
10-31-13, 18:34
Really, why would you recommend this? Ive purchased two USPC's from Gunstop in Minnetonka in the last month.

USPC 9mm LNIB barely used, maybe a le5ss than 100 rds fired $549

USPC .40 excellent condtion, factory 2 tone, similar internal wear, little more holster wear but not much $ 490 OTD.

You have to be patient, they show up time to time. I bought the 9mm C the same day as my NIB P30 9mm. Use the same mags, nice feature.

I am running the LITE LEM in my P30, all my other HK's are V1 (DA/SA/Decocker)

I agree the P30 is a completely different animal than the USP. I have always liked the USP as a defensive handgun and have a full size 9mm with a lot of 6 18 rd mags. I can run the USP's pretty fast. Im still trying to get used to the P30 LEM trigger. It going to take me another 1k to really get it down.

I just realized that you are a former (or current) infantryman via your avatar. My first Drill Sergeant at Basic (4-5 years ago), worn the same badge like yours. Please receive my respect Sir. 2LT Nguyen

If you can sell me the USPc 9mm, I would be gladly to take it :D Just kidding. It is very hard to keep track with every gun shops in Minnesota because most of them don't list their stock online.

arcticlightfighter
10-31-13, 20:25
I just realized that you are a former (or current) infantryman via your avatar. My first Drill Sergeant at Basic (4-5 years ago), worn the same badge like yours. Please receive my respect Sir. 2LT Nguyen

If you can sell me the USPc 9mm, I would be gladly to take it :D Just kidding. It is very hard to keep track with every gun shops in Minnesota because most of them don't list their stock online.

Hey, thanks LT! Former enlisted 11B/11H (6th ID/172nd Leg Infantry), now I'm just working for the man.

I really like the USP compact, but as stated it has a higher bore axis than others but is quite manageable especially in 9mm (which I prefer)

As far as the metro area gun shops go, Gunstop is the best IMHO with the highest trade in value, but I have had good luck with fair prices at The Frontiersman. The USP's and P2000's are relatively easy to find in good condition. Seeing that they are rated for excess of 20K rds, even some that have been shot hard have a lot of life left in them. Unfortunately like you said, they dont have an online inventory and unless you are able to pop in once or twice a week, you may miss some nice pieces. My USP 9C was mint and looked like it had never been carried and shot hardly at all.

Had I my druthers, Id go for the full size P2000 9mm as I prefer the design over the USPC but whatever.

Arnzen Arms in Eden Prairie has a great inventory but slightly higher prices. I bought my NIB P30 9mm there as they had it in stock and I had the cash at the time. Also bought all of their 15 rd. P30 mags as they work in my USP C as well. Prices are fair for the mags $39 or so and the USP mags are even less.

Regards!

Denali
10-31-13, 21:57
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for the USP 9c as my CCW. Is there anything I need to know before pulling the trigger?

I borrowed one from my friend last week and love it. Does anyone from Minnesota know any good HK dealers and have purchased from them before?

Many thanks :)

The Frontiersman in St Louis Park would be your best bet, steer clear of Bill's, pricing is unjustifiably high and the knowledge of the counter folks minimal or below.

The best pricing will not be available locally, nor the best selection, check the usual online sources....

Salamander
10-31-13, 22:32
They're both good guns. I own both in various calibers... my USPc is a .45, so slightly bigger than the 9mm, but I like it a lot.

Of the two I have a slight preference for the P2000 because it's a little easier to conceal, the slide is less blocky, and the ergonomics are a little better. But the USPc has more aggressive grip checkering and is easier to hang onto in the rain, mud, etc.

One difference is that the P2000 has interchangeable backstraps, so it may have an advantage for those with hands that are other then "average" size. The USPc, if it fits your hands it works very well but I'd guess that some people find it to be too big or too small and there's no way to modify it. So at least holding one is a good idea before buying.

With either gun you'll want to order the extended mag release and install it (the one that comes on the 45c), it's a $23 part and two minutes to swap in and it makes mag drops faster and easier. I use my middle finger to work the mag release, others prefer to use the trigger finger.

The P2000 is fully ambidextrous out of the box, the USPc has the slide release only set up for a right-handed shooter. Again, it matters a lot to some people and not at all to others.

The only drawbacks I can find to HK's are that finding one in a specific configuration can require some patience (I prefer the LEM trigger which seems to be available in waves), and the choices in night sights are somewhat limited... it's a little better for the USPc which has been around longer, and Heinie's are available for that gun but not for the P2000 which I believe only has two-dot rear NS options.

As someone mentioned above, 9mm USPc's and P2000's take the same mags which helps with availability. I was able to buy one over the counter at the peak of the panic when I needed an extra one for a class.

Again, you can't go wrong with either, they're super reliable and accurate. It's really a matter of personal preference.

npthaiduong
11-01-13, 20:50
I finally found a good deal on a new USPc 9mm :D. Final cost is $700, and I can't be happier.

Now, which IWB holster should I get?

win_nut
11-02-13, 08:11
Comp-Tac Minotaur

moonshot
11-02-13, 10:14
Get what you like and what works for you, but I found out after buying two USPc in .40 that they weren't for me.

The gun felt great in the hand, better than almost any other handgun of the time, and I liked that I had the option of DAO with manual safety (mine were conventional DA/SA, but I gave serious thought to the conversion).

What I found in actual use was not so great. Very high bore axis, which caused excessive muzzle jump and slowed down my follow up shots, double action trigger was the absolute worst I have ever used. Single action was sloppy, and when the safety was engage I always felt I could break something if I pulled the trigger a little too hard. Magazine feed lips were so sharp I could shave with them. Load a mag to capacity and I could draw blood off my thumb. A close friend had a USP self destruct on the range and that did it for me.

I sold them both.

Ranger45
11-02-13, 11:34
HK USP Compacts are outstanding carry guns. My EDC is a USPc .40 V1. I also use the Comp-Tac Minotaur holster.

SiGfever
11-02-13, 19:37
HK USP Compacts are outstanding carry guns. My EDC is a USPc .40 V1. I also use the Comp-Tac Minotaur holster.

I have a USPc .40 V1 also and it is a fine pistol. I like the aggressive checkering on the grip and with the recoil buffer it is a smooth shooting .40. I would and do trust my life to this pistol. The 9mm model aught to be very pleasant to shoot and be quick for follow-ups.

sig1473
11-04-13, 10:24
Change out the mag release for a HK45c mag release. Takes about a minute. Best $24 upgrade you can make.

npthaiduong
11-04-13, 10:29
Change out the mag release for a HK45c mag release. Takes about a minute. Best $24 upgrade you can make.

Can you give me some more information on how doing that? Thank you

sig1473
11-04-13, 10:48
Can you give me some more information on how doing that? Thank you

Just knock out roll pin on your old mag release. Make sure you don't loose the spring. Put in the new one. It's really easy. I have/had them on all my USPs,USPc,&P2Ks.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKPHK45054-10.png

npthaiduong
11-04-13, 10:50
Just knock out roll pin on your old mag release. Make sure you don't loose the spring. Put in the new one. It's really easy. I have/had them on all my USPs,USPc,&P2Ks.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKPHK45054-10.png

It looks really awesome. Thanks a lot. Also, where did you buy the new mag release from?

sig1473
11-04-13, 11:12
HKParts.net. $23.95 plus shipping

ralph
11-04-13, 18:24
Call HKUSA,(706-568-1906) you'll get it for less than what HK Parts.net charges....

Sevcrist
11-04-13, 19:54
As others have said, take a look at the P2000 or the P2000SK. They are the more modernized versions of the USP. Also, if possible try out the trigger on a LEM version of the HK vs. the DA/SA trigger. The video below does a good job contrasting the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwcsV4Bns_4

3ACR_Scout
11-05-13, 13:38
I've carried a USPc V1 in .40 for about 6 years and love it, but I'd caution you that magazine release takes some getting used to, and once you're comfortable with it, it makes it a little difficult to transition back and forth to other brands of pistols with a more "traditional" magazine release. I tend to activate the HK release with my thumb in the same manner as other types of pistols, exerting pressure in and down. I bring the pistol in towards my chest to meet the magazine during reloads, which cocks the pistol slightly to the left (I'm right-handed), making it easier to depress the HK release. The extended release was a HUGE improvement for me personally, fixing one of the issues I had with the HK design, and it was very easy to swap out, as others mentioned already.

.40 S&W works for me, but I'd consider switching to 9mm based on all the improvements in the cartridge in recent years. However, I've invested heavily in USPc .40 S&W magazines - found a number of good deals (< $30) on Gunbroker about 5 years ago - and don't really care to invest in 9mm mags.

FWIW, I carry my USPc in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, which was a long 6-month wait but is very comfortable and stable. I've carried a Sig P228 and Glock 19 in the same model holster and don't feel the need to try anything else (unless I decide to add a light).

Dave

sig1473
11-05-13, 16:22
.40 S&W works for me, but I'd consider switching to 9mm based on all the improvements in the cartridge in recent years. However, I've invested heavily in USPc .40 S&W magazines - found a number of good deals (< $30) on Gunbroker about 5 years ago - and don't really care to invest in 9mm mags.

I've used USPc 40 mags quite successfully in an USPc 9 and P2Ksk with zero malfunctions. The 12rd mags will give you 15rds of 9mm, so don't let the acquisition of 9 mags discourage you from an USPc 9 purchase.;)

arcticlightfighter
11-05-13, 20:15
I like that the P30 series mags work in the USP Compacts. Currently, I have a P30 9mm with a USPc 9mm companion piece.

I also have a USP c .40 that I plan on mating with a P30 .40. This will allow me to continue to use my same holsters.

Thinking of picking up a full size USP .45 to go with my HK 45C.

Its addictive....

Skyviking
11-09-13, 18:01
I cannot for the life of me imagine anyone buying a USP instead of the P30 or even a P2000. (The P2000SK is slightly smaller, but not by that much, and for IWB or AIWB, not worth the trade-off. IMHO)

The USP slide is much heavier than the P30's so the additional mass means more muzzle flip. The ergonomics are light years apart, too. Try Cross Creek Guns and/or Bud's Gunshop for new HK pistolas. If an LEO, Bud's Police Supply has screaming deals on HK LE pistols, which come with 3 magazines.

I had an HK45c and hated it (too much muzzle flip compared to my 1911 Commander or even my SIG P220 Compact - wound up carrying the P220C on duty). I tried an Hk45 and loved it. The difference was that substantial. I couldn't believe I was shooting an HK.45 almost as fast as my 1911s. I wound up buying P30s in 9 & 40, as well as a P30L in 9 and an Hk45c. My current EDC pistola is a P30 9x19mm w/LEM trigger setup, but will likely start carrying my Hk45c as soon as the holster (CCC Shaggy) gets here while the P30 goes to Bruce Gray for night sights and a trigger job - just to see how much better the trigger can get - if possible.

Blstr88
11-13-13, 02:56
I've got a pair of USP compacts, one in .40 and one in 9mm. My 9 is V1 and my .40 is V7 (LEM).

I fully intend to sell my .40 USPc LEM and purchase another USPc 9 LEM, then convert my current USPc V1 to LEM as well. I've gotten away from .40 S&W and would like an identical pair of USPc 9s for everyday use.

I think a USP compact with the LEM is an incredible package. The only drawback I see is the 13+1 capacity...I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe someone cant manufacture a 15-16 round mag for the pistol. I carry my USPc daily but thats the one gripe I have about it - it seems smaller pistols are carrying 15 rounds of 9mm these days.

I use a leather IWB holster for mine when Im wearing a t-shirt, anything else baggy or untucked I carry in a Raven Concealment. I absolutely love my USP compacts and would recommend them to anyone.

npthaiduong
11-13-13, 09:18
I heard about the conversion to LEM before. I don't mind the DA/SA but I would like to have it simpler just point and shoot.

I personally don't have the tools and experience to do it myself, and I don't like the hassle of shipping back and forth. Does anyone from Minnesota know a local gunsmith can do this?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

newyork
11-13-13, 09:41
I've done it twice to HK45s. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm an idiot and not mechanically inclined. No special tools needed.

npthaiduong
11-13-13, 09:47
I've done it twice to HK45s. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm an idiot and not mechanically inclined. No special tools needed.

Thank you for the insight. I personally think by saying that and doing so, you aren't an idiot at all.

May I ask how much the parts cost you? And where did you get them?

3ACR_Scout
11-13-13, 10:27
I've used USPc 40 mags quite successfully in an USPc 9 and P2Ksk with zero malfunctions. The 12rd mags will give you 15rds of 9mm, so don't let the acquisition of 9 mags discourage you from an USPc 9 purchase.;)

Thanks for the feedback - I may consider it at some point if I see a good deal on a 9c.

I cannot for the life of me imagine anyone buying a USP instead of the P30 or even a P2000.

I know I need to get hold of a P30 and shoot it, but from comparing the various models, it seemed to me that the P30 grip is a little bit longer and more squared off than the USPc / P2000 / HK45c combined with the angled mag baseplate. It just struck me that those three models were a little more suitable for concealment than the P30, and in an ideal world, I think I'd like to have an HK9c or HK40c, but as I understand it, HK doesn't have any intention of offering those models since the P30 currently fills the role. But I have to admit that I haven't looked too closely at the newer models since I've been very comfortable with the USP40c and don't feel the need to spent another $900+ on a new pistol.

Dave

LoveAR
11-14-13, 22:02
I have owned an HK USPc 9mm for 8+ years. The ergonomics are excellent. I have taken it to the range indoors and outdoors many times over the years. I have not had any problems with it whatsoever. No failures to feed...no failures to fire through at least 1500 or more rounds. It is definitely a handgun that I trust. Goes bang every time.

The P30 is probably good too. I hope so.

Twistedwacko
11-14-13, 23:30
I too carry a USP c 9mm and have found that P30 magazines work in both the compact and the P2000 series. They are just harder to find and usually more expensive. Also I find that the .40 is an answer without a question.

npthaiduong
11-14-13, 23:48
Does anyone here do the LEM conversion for their USP compact yet? I am not yet sure if I want to do it or not.

sbn
11-25-13, 01:31
I have used the HK USP 9mm compact for 13 years now as a police duty weapon (its the only weapon we are offered and allowed to use).

I have shot 1000s of rounds with it and the gun just keeps on going. Only issues and malfunction I have had some years ago was when the magazine springs got worn out. So now I change the springs once a year and have had no issues since. My gun really gets tested in all weather conditions too when Im at work.

Besides being at my hip for patrol duty I mostly have it in a thigh holster when riding my police motorcycle. 2 months a year in the summer its in the same holster when Im with the waterpolice and here it gets sparyed with sea saltwater every day. The gun just keeps on going. Cant go wrong with HK.

When I want to hide the gun I use the blackhawk sherpa holster and this setup works very well. You can conceal it and still feel you have a "big" gun when using it. However I would have preferred if they had picked the standard USP. I think that gun was made for duty use. I wish the P30 was on the market when my dept. went gun shopping. I think that is the ultimate HK handgun.

Back to the 9C. One big drawback in my opinion the the USP guns are that they dont have a normal rail. So it makes it more difficult to find a weapon/light setup that will also fit a nice holster, especially a duty holster. We are not allowed to do any modifications to this gun and a railadaptor is considered a modification so the only lights that works with this gun are the HK UTL light (looks too big for the compact) and the TLR-3 (with usp compact railslide sold among other places at uscav.com). I have used the TLR-3 setup when I was with our special response teams, works really well.

But if you do not intend to use a light with this gun then you dont have that to worry about :-)

So to sum it up: the 9c is a great gun, have a look at the P30 before you buy :cool:

Psalms144.1
11-25-13, 09:40
I know I need to get hold of a P30 and shoot it, but from comparing the various models, it seemed to me that the P30 grip is a little bit longer and more squared off than the USPc / P2000 / HK45c combined with the angled mag baseplate. It just struck me that those three models were a little more suitable for concealment than the P30, and in an ideal world, I think I'd like to have an HK9c or HK40c, but as I understand it, HK doesn't have any intention of offering those models since the P30 currently fills the role. But I have to admit that I haven't looked too closely at the newer models since I've been very comfortable with the USP40c and don't feel the need to spent another $900+ on a new pistol.

DaveDave - I have both the P30 and the P2000, both in 9mm. The ergonomics on the P30 are a dream, but it pretty much NEVER gets any carry use, precisely because it's just "bigger" enough in the grip that it is noticeably harder for me to conceal in my normal strong-side hip carry location (and I'm federal LE, so a little printing isn't the end of the world). Plus, the grip is long enough that, since I spend an unfortunate amount of my day seated at a desk or in the car, I find the P30 grip pushes on the backrest enough to be annoying, while the P2K doesn't. Lastly, while the reset on the P2K's LEM (V4 for me) isn't anything to write home about, it's still better than the reset on the P30 LEM (same config), and the P2000's trigger has a less aggressive "stack" at the end of the trigger pull before the sear trips - all of which make me shoot the smaller P2K better than the "better feeling" P30.

YMMV, of course, and TONS of P30 fans will tell you I'm smoking my socks, but those are my experiences.

Regards,

Kevin

npthaiduong
11-25-13, 09:52
I must agree with Kevin about the difference between the P30 and P2000. This is the reason why I skipped the P30 on my shopping list.

I would pick the P2000 over the USPc, but I found a very deal on the USPc (brand new for $600) that made the difference between them less obvious to me.

I also just converted my USPc 9mm to LEM configuration, so it feels much like the P2000. And in the end of the day, I saved myself couple hundred bucks.

3ACR_Scout
11-25-13, 12:06
We are not allowed to do any modifications to this gun and a railadaptor is considered a modification so the only lights that works with this gun are the HK UTL light (looks too big for the compact) and the TLR-3 (with usp compact railslide sold among other places at uscav.com).

I may have mentioned this perviously, but the TLR-3 with adaptor rail really fixed the one issue that I had with the USPc - I wanted a quick-detach, quality light, but I didn't want to add the larger Surefire adaptor rail because it wouldn't fit in my VM2 holster. I would have preferred a Surefire light, but the TLR-3 has worked well for me so far. I got my adaptor rail from Amazon, but they are now selling the complete TLR-3 with USPc adaptor (http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69221-Mounted-Tactical-Compact/dp/B0039D0KRS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385394141&sr=8-2&keywords=USP+Compact+TLR-3+rail) for a great price. The other major improvement to the USPc was the addition of the larger mag release, also mentioned previously by others.

YMMV, of course, and TONS of P30 fans will tell you I'm smoking my socks, but those are my experiences.

Kevin - Thanks a lot for the feedback. That's pretty much what I expected from handling the P30 and comparing it to the USP / P2000. I find that carrying the USPc is a little annoying when I first get into my car (like just about any pistol for me, personally), but I can adjust my position a little to accomodate it. I can definitely see that if the grip was any larger (like the P30), it would be uncomfortable for me. I'll hold out hope for a HK9c / HK40c :)

Dave

Paxamus
12-02-13, 08:52
I also have the USPc in 9 (as well as 45) I carry the 9 daily in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB. Great EDC and wonderful firearm, I looked at the P30 and while the ergos are nice I would rather have the trigger of the USP, just a better action. Congrats on USPc its a workhorse