PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sight with MRDS?

K.L. Davis
11-03-13, 12:34
Having some Glock slides cut - what would be your preferred placement for the rear sight?

NCPatrolAR
11-03-13, 12:41
I prefer behind the optic.

DTakas
11-03-13, 13:06
- - - - -

Slpeod
11-03-13, 13:15
On my G19 with a RMR I have the suppressor height trijicons behind the MRD. I once looked through one that had them cut in front of the MRD and they were suppressor height - in low light the tritium seemed to starburst in the MRD glass and make the sight picture unnecessarily convoluted.

On my Volquartsen scorpion though I don't run irons but it is a rimfire and isn't for SD so situation completely different.

Jmacken37
11-03-13, 15:48
I prefer behind the RDS.

jandbj
11-03-13, 16:29
I said behind the MRDS. Only one I've played with was an auto adjust docter2 sight. Sensor was on the front of the MRDS.

PD Sgt.
11-03-13, 16:32
I prefer behind the RDS as well. I feel they are the easiest to acquire and align with the red dot when you are first getting used to the system. It also helps if the red dot goes down and you need to use the irons.

I have RMRs mounted this way on both a G19 and a M&P 9c. With the RMR the glass is pretty well protected from damage, though I do get some oil spray from time to time, but not enough to be obstructive. I don't know if a sight in front would prevent that or not.

PatrioticDisorder
11-03-13, 17:38
I'm not a huge fan of RDS handguns in general, but with my limited experience with my M&P CORE .40 with RMR sitting on top, I cannot imagine trying to shoot the gun without supressor height rear sights behind the RMR. IMO, it's the only way that makes sense to go.

foxjordan22
11-03-13, 20:18
Being you can't flip the rear sight down like you can on a rifle for me the rear sight has to be in the front of the Red dot, so it isn't blocking the already limited sight view. I only use the sights if the dot goes down. If I was sure the sight would never fail I would rather not have a front or rear sight at all. If you don't use a fixed or up rear sight on a rifle with a fixed cheek weld to the stock and large windowed red dots then why would you want a fixed rear sight blocking the smaller window on a pistol?

MegademiC
11-03-13, 20:32
Being you can't flip the rear sight down like you can on a rifle for me the rear sight has to be in the front of the Red dot, so it isn't blocking the already limited sight view. I only use the sights if the dot goes down. If I was sure the sight would never fail I would rather not have a front or rear sight at all. If you don't use a fixed or up rear sight on a rifle with a fixed cheek weld to the stock and large windowed red dots then why would you want a fixed rear sight blocking the smaller window on a pistol?

How would in front or behind effect field of view? It's there regardless of location, so the blockage should be the same? I ask as I've never used one with fixed sights. For the rifle analogy, many people use fixed iron sights with rds.

GUNSLINGER733
11-04-13, 06:23
I think behind the rds so when using irons you will have a longer sight radius.

foxjordan22
11-04-13, 20:45
I don't like any blockage of the dot. Sometimes we are shooting with both eyes open from awkward shooting positions and can loose part of or all of the dot behind the rear sight. Also with rear night sights your eyes see 2 extra white dots that you don't need. I like a cleaner less cluttered less distracting sight picture so I can focus on the threat.

http://gebhardsolutions.com/images/g19-rmr_04.JPG

foxjordan22
11-04-13, 20:56
I prefer a suppressor height front sight with a machined white line into the rear of the RMR. Gives you the advantage of using the rear sight but does not block any of the dot.

foxjordan22
11-04-13, 21:01
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2272/rmrcowitnesslores2.jpg

steve1911
11-05-13, 01:03
I prefer the suppressor rear sight.

jaxman7
11-05-13, 12:46
Interesting counterpoints foxjordan.

-Jax