PDA

View Full Version : 10-8 Performance, or Ameriglo Hackathorns?

PatEgan
11-05-13, 16:55
I'm looking for end-user feedback on these two types of sights, which I'm considering for a Glock 17. Use would be off-duty/CCW, and HD. Both have aspects I like, specifically, a serrated, plain rear sight and a high visibility front sight. While I'd love to have the best of both speed and longer range accuracy, I'm a bit partial to accuracy at a bit of a distance, from about 25 yards and out in the absence of a rifle.

Suggestions? Opinions?
Thanks-
Pat

Doublestack45
11-05-13, 19:49
I found that the wide and bright luminous front sights simply do not offer the precision necessary for distance shots. I regularly practice shooting steel out to 100 yards at my local range. My preference now is the Heinie straight 8 sights, which seem almost surgical compared to the .145" wide HD front, and .140" Hackathorns. While I wanted to love the ultra eye grabbing fronts of these sights, my accuracy with them told a much different story. Same thing with U-shaped rears.
A recent article worth your attention can be found on Modern Service Weapons website, discussing front sight width.
The eye poppers sure look good on my guns that have them, but I just don't need that much help on the close stuff anymore. Get a narrow front sight with a proportionally wide square cut rear, and you'll feel like a rock star on your distance shots!

ruchik
11-05-13, 20:29
I had the opposite effect with two dot setups. I couldn't stand it. While they're quick for horizontal alignment, I had a hell of a time getting them lined up vertically. I ended up string my shots vertically up and down because I could never quite get them aligned properly.

Up1911fan
11-05-13, 22:16
I've used both and don't care for either. Tried out the 10-8 but didn't like the U-Notch rear. The ProGlo front sight was great up close, but too wide for precision. I've settled on the Heinie Straight 8 Ledge's. If you don't like the two dot set up I would seriously consider the RedBack One sights (assuming you shoot a Glock).

1911-A1
11-05-13, 23:32
I've used both, and the Hackathorns are what I prefer. I love the neon dot with a black, featureless rear sight. It's super fast to pick up in the daytime, and the tritium gives you a fast, simple sight picture in the dark.

FChen17213
11-06-13, 01:10
I agree with the above posts. Those wide bright dot sights like the Trijicon HDs are awesome for competitions and quick front sight acquisition because they draw your eyes to the sight. However, they really suck for bullseye work. 25 yd is about as far as they'll work decently. At 50 yds, it's really really hard to use.

I don't particularly like the 10-8 U-notch sights in that they tend to make me shoot low. Sort of like putting a dot in a gutter. I know you're supposed to ignore the dots in non- low light conditions, but they still draw your eyes to them.

I would take a hard look at Warren sights for the Glock. They don't draw your eyes to the front sight as well as the luminescent sights, but they are much more precise yet still are relatively quick to acquire. Whatever you go with, just practice practice practice. Do tons and tons of dry presentations, and you'll get used to picking the sights up, especially with a pro timer.

SpeedRacer
11-06-13, 01:43
I love me some Hackathorns. I've also spent time with the Trijicon HDs, Ameriglo Defoors, and Heine Straight 8s and much prefer the Hacks over all of them. They seem to be the best balance of up close speed and ability for accuracy at distance. I have no problem getting effective hits at 50+ yds with them. That said, I wouldn't sacrifice performance up close for long range accuracy in a defensive handgun.

Boeydafunk
11-06-13, 01:56
Ive had the chance to shoot a few rounds out of several differant pistol sight setups. Im now changing all my glocks over to the RedBack1sights made by 10-8. I paid full price for the sights, but had to call to get them here in time for a class I was taking. Their both fast and super precise on my g35. Jason said to me when I called that they are specifically made for the g17
Boey

walkin' trails
11-06-13, 06:44
I prefer Heinies but have found that 10-8s offer a similar set-up for me and are worthy if consideration. I prefer a serrated front sight ramp over a smooth "*eye catcher" because the serrations off a crisp sight picture. The Heinies over the the 10-8s for me only because Heinie offers a tritium rear which I've gotten used to having. Personal preference.

C4IGrant
11-06-13, 07:19
I had the opposite effect with two dot setups. I couldn't stand it. While they're quick for horizontal alignment, I had a hell of a time getting them lined up vertically. I ended up string my shots vertically up and down because I could never quite get them aligned properly.

Are you talking about shooting during the day or the night?

C4

ruchik
11-07-13, 02:31
Both. My eyes couldn't decide how far apart or how close they needed to be. So I would end up shooting high or low. It was worse in low light conditions, because I had two dots floating with no way of knowing how far apart they were supposed to be. I find I have better time with traditional three dot setups, but with the rears subdued, much like the Operator series from Ameriglo.

C4IGrant
11-07-13, 08:37
Both. My eyes couldn't decide how far apart or how close they needed to be. So I would end up shooting high or low. It was worse in low light conditions, because I had two dots floating with no way of knowing how far apart they were supposed to be. I find I have better time with traditional three dot setups, but with the rears subdued, much like the Operator series from Ameriglo.

In regards to shooting in daylight, you know that you don't use the two tritium dots to shoot right??

C4

FAB45
11-07-13, 09:29
Not much of an answer but I think you'll find both are high quality great choices, comes down to preference. I'm running 10-8 on one Glock and Hacks on another, love both. I really like the 10-8 fiber optic over tritium right now for some reason.

sammage
11-07-13, 10:19
As others have said, they are both good options. I tend to prefer the Ameriglo Pro Glo or Hack front.

KevinB
11-07-13, 11:47
As others have said, they are both good options. I tend to prefer the Ameriglo Pro Glo or Hack front.

This.

I've swapped all but my LAV 1911, and my M&P CORE over to them.

PatEgan
11-07-13, 12:12
Thanks to all for the informative replies.

I hadn't even considered the RB1 sights, but they also look like a solid choice.
Pat

ruchik
11-07-13, 15:36
Of course. I have a set of the Operator two dot sights on one of my M&P's, so the rear has no outline around it, and I only focus on the front sight. But for some reason my eye keeps picking up the single rear dot anyways. I figured since that always happened, I may as well go with a subdued three dot setup. Works much better for me.

C4IGrant
11-07-13, 15:44
Of course. I have a set of the Operator two dot sights on one of my M&P's, so the rear has no outline around it, and I only focus on the front sight. But for some reason my eye keeps picking up the single rear dot anyways. I figured since that always happened, I may as well go with a subdued three dot setup. Works much better for me.

I should have worded my statement better. Not only shouldn't you use the Tritium dots, but you shouldn't use ANY dots to shoot during daylight. You use the top edge of the front sight level with the top edge of the rear sight (with equal amounts of space between the sides of the front and rear).

C4

http://homestudy.ihea.com/shootingskills/sightpic-bottompart.gif

FAB45
11-07-13, 17:16
I should have worded my statement better. Not only shouldn't you use the Tritium dots, but you should use ANY dots to shoot during daylight. You use the top edge of the front sight level with the top edge of the rear sight (with equal amounts of space between the sides of the front and rear).

C4

WELL SAID!

ruchik
11-07-13, 22:58
I should have worded my statement better. Not only shouldn't you use the Tritium dots, but you shouldn't use ANY dots to shoot during daylight. You use the top edge of the front sight level with the top edge of the rear sight (with equal amounts of space between the sides of the front and rear).

C4

Is it improper use of sights to use a cover up hold? I have always used the front dot on my sight to cover the POI I'm aiming for.

C4IGrant
11-08-13, 07:05
Is it improper use of sights to use a cover up hold? I have always used the front dot on my sight to cover the POI I'm aiming for.

Let me say that if you can shoot groups at 25yds (and hit what you are aiming at) keep on doing what you are doing. MY guess is that you are not. It is nearly impossible to shoot small groups at 25yds and farther using the "dot" on your sights.

If you have not had a professional pistol class (from an instructor that knows and teaches sight alignment), I would suggest you do that.

Honestly speaking, I see TONS of people that do not understand sight alignment and where their pistol's POI is at 25yds. People are commonly shocked that they are 6-12 inches off their intended impact spot. Know your gun, know your sights.

C4

Double3
11-08-13, 08:29
I'm looking to pick up some Hackathorns and while searching for the best price I came across AMERIGLO HACK STYLE SIGHT SET FOR GLOCK•ProGlo front •Pro Serrated rear.

I assume the "Hack style" is the same as the Hackathorns? I can get them for around $66 shipped.

ruchik
11-09-13, 04:19
Let me say that if you can shoot groups at 25yds (and hit what you are aiming at) keep on doing what you are doing. MY guess is that you are not. It is nearly impossible to shoot small groups at 25yds and farther using the "dot" on your sights.

If you have not had a professional pistol class (from an instructor that knows and teaches sight alignment), I would suggest you do that.

Honestly speaking, I see TONS of people that do not understand sight alignment and where their pistol's POI is at 25yds. People are commonly shocked that they are 6-12 inches off their intended impact spot. Know your gun, know your sights.

C4

Went to the range today to try using the top of the front sight as opposed to the dot. My eyesight is pretty bad, and I keep losing the top of the front sight against any sort of dark background. At just 15 yards, I was all over the place. Using the dot was more intuitive for me, and allowed me to get good groupings. I'm not sure if that's because my sight technique favors one over the other, or if I just suck. I focus on all of the other factors such as correct grip, arms extended, etc. I'm by no means an expert pistolero, and am planning on taking a professional class when I can afford to do so, as you suggested.

skatz11
11-10-13, 05:53
Went to the range today to try using the top of the front sight as opposed to the dot. My eyesight is pretty bad, and I keep losing the top of the front sight against any sort of dark background. At just 15 yards, I was all over the place. Using the dot was more intuitive for me, and allowed me to get good groupings. I'm not sure if that's because my sight technique favors one over the other, or if I just suck. I focus on all of the other factors such as correct grip, arms extended, etc. I'm by no means an expert pistolero, and am planning on taking a professional class when I can afford to do so, as you suggested.

Try using a large target on a clean white poster board with a 6:00 hold. That will give you a clean and repeatable sight picture at distance.

This will help you determine the actual POI since you have a good reference point for the POA.