PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 Gen 4 thumb rests on slide release

surfish95747
11-05-13, 16:59
Okay all you experts. I need a bit of help with grip... I know it is hard to really help someone with their grip without being hands on, but anything will help. I shoot with a thumbs forward grip, my left thumb resting along side of the frame and my right thumb, high in the tang, likes to rest just on top of my left hand thumb and touching the frame. The problem is, my right thumb slightly touches the slide release. When shooting the last round, my thumb prevents the slide from locking back.

I put on the medium backstrap and that seems to help. I would like to be able to not use any backstraps as I like how the grip feels without it. Am I holding my gun wrong, or is that just something that everyone deals with. I've tried focusing on just resting my right thumb on the left hand without touching the frame, but my right thumb tends to like to get a grip on that frame. Well, any suggestion on how not to ride the slide release would help. If there is already a thread on this, please point me in the right direction, as I looked but did not see anything. I love my Glock 22 and shoot excellent with it, minus this little problem. Thanks!!!

Heavy Metal
11-05-13, 17:39
Kick your thumb out to the left side of your support hand knuckle.

ST911
11-05-13, 18:25
My large hands have obstructed the slide stop for years. When I switched to the gen4 frame (no insert), I found that there was a subtle enough tweak in grip angle and alignment that it didn't occur nearly as often.

One thing that's worked for me is to have my primary hand thumb find an index point with the other hand that keeps it off the slide stop. I know others who have simply removed their slide stop or trimmed it back.

surfish95747
11-05-13, 18:38
My large hands have obstructed the slide stop for years. When I switched to the gen4 frame (no insert), I found that there was a subtle enough tweak in grip angle and alignment that it didn't occur nearly as often.

One thing that's worked for me is to have my primary hand thumb find an index point with the other hand that keeps it off the slide stop. I know others who have simply removed their slide stop or trimmed it back.

I'll have to try finding an index point to keep it off the slide. Some people completely remove the slide stop?

ST911
11-05-13, 22:06
Some people completely remove the slide stop?

Usually, one possible solution for those with underride issues that activate the stop, which aren't otherwise corrected.

Up1911fan
11-05-13, 22:18
I move my strong hand thumb over the back of my support hand thumb (kyle defoor did a right up on this for gripping his Sig). You could also try the Ghost Bullet Forward Slide Release.

Surf
11-06-13, 00:29
Been shooting a Sig P226 as a primary pistol for over 12 years. For right handers I have been teaching guys to roll their primary shooting hands thumb outbound over the middle joint (metocarpolphalangeal joint) of thumb. I do this with the Glock also.

Michael2007
11-07-13, 20:31
I just fought with this at a D3 class. Rolling the primary thumb out works well and doesn't compromise friction on the gun. It's A bitch to get used to though.

n517rv
11-07-13, 20:37
Speaking of Kyle Defoor... I was just watching this the other day as I have the same issue with my G19:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcVHykd3zTU