PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Firearms Opinions

KC_in_Bama
11-05-13, 21:30
Fellas,

Some of the guy at work are interested in a group buy of Cobra Derringers. Any opinion on Cobra Firearms? With Tax and transfer fee, they'll be going for about $120 out the door. I have no clue on the quality of their products. Looking for opinions/recommendations. My interest would be in a 22wmg (not sure if that's the right abbreviation for 22 win-mag).

Also if this is the incorrect forum section for this posting, my apologies.

Thanks!!

1911-A1
11-05-13, 23:38
The Cobra name is not synonymous with quality. Their semiautos are junk, and while I'm sure the derringers are simpler devices, I have no reason to expect their quality is leaps and bounds above that of their other guns.

Derringers are more of a curiosity than anything else, especially in .22WMR. I have no use for one. In my opinion, you're better off buying ammo for your real guns.

RHINOWSO
11-05-13, 23:41
In my opinion, you're better off buying ammo for your real guns.
My thought exactly.

Urban_Redneck
11-07-13, 07:18
The danger in buying cheap guns is you often get what you paid for.

YMMV

NCPatrolAR
11-07-13, 07:56
Why are you looking at Cobra in the first place?

williejc
11-15-13, 17:53
Even a high quality derringer--can't think of one--would be cumbersome. If in a caliber like 9mm, .38 Spl., or larger, it will be bulky. If the piece did have good mechanical accuracy, shooting it well would be extremely difficult. For most purposes, you can consider the derringer to be a cumbersome, bulky, and difficult to shoot handgun. I would hesitate to whip one out unless the BG was on top of me. Did I mention that firing the second shot ain't that quick either.

gunnut284
11-15-13, 20:22
They are crap, I've seen several and wouldn't even be willing to try and fire one myself. Even the best derringers are mediocre at best as useful defensive weapons, most are difficult to shoot and of obviously limited capacity. The old Hi Standards seemed to be pretty good if you just have to get a .22 Mag derringer and the American Derringer and Bond Arms seem decent in the larger calibers. I have no interest in any of them.

KC_in_Bama
11-16-13, 02:42
Why are you looking at Cobra in the first place?

Group buy at work. One of the Engineers I work with just got his FFL this past July, and now get catalogs from everyone. Cobra is having a 12 for $99.99 each sale on their Derringers. I have not data on Cobra as a Mfr, hence the post here. The group buy at work fizzled out anyway, so $$$ saved for better things.