PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92-series mags

Slater
11-09-13, 16:28
Beretta 92 OEM mags come in 15, 17, 18, 20, and higher capacities. Regarding the more commonly used 15, 17, and 18 rounders, is reliability generally the same among them all or are some types better than others?

Wildcat
11-09-13, 19:10
I've used 15rd, 17rd and 20rd magazines (marked MecGar) with no issues whatsoever.

MrCleanOK
11-09-13, 20:04
I've never had a problem with the Mecgar 18 and 20 round magazines. No experience with the other size OEM mags.

Sent from my phone with my giant, uncoordinated sausage thumbs.

DreadPirateMoyer
11-09-13, 21:51
I run nothing but 17 and 30 round OEM magazines in my 92A1s. I've used them and kept them all fully loaded at some point in their lives and never had a single failure of any kind. These are all Beretta-brand mags, just to reiterate.

Timbonez
11-10-13, 02:03
I use 15rd factory and 18rd MecGar mags in my Berettas. They work well, and I haven't experienced any issues with them.

11-10-13, 07:27
It has been my experience that Beretta, MecGar and MDS are of equal high quality for use in the 92 series. I run older Beretta mags for training and competition and use my newer MecGar 18's for carry and such.

williejc
11-10-13, 09:45
Like the other posters, my experience with all of the above has been positive. IG is trained to work on the B. Maybe he'll respond.

Kain
11-10-13, 10:25
So far I have run older and newer 15 rounders in my Beretta, both Factory Beretta without issue. I have also run the mil contract 15 rounders without issue, though I have only really run them for range work and not that hard and considering I only paid $5 a piece for the five I own I am not really caring if they were only to run 75% of the time. Also have a factory 30 rounder that I have not had any issues with. On a side note, not that I think it matters to most, but the Factory Beretta mags do seem to have a better finish than some aftermarket mags I see. Not that it matters as long as the Mecgars run good. Which brings me to the point that I need to pick up a few 18rounders.

foxtrotx1
11-10-13, 12:41
Anything from Beretta and MecGar are good to go. Airtronics and Checkmate should be restricted to range use or use in non dusty conditions. The phosphate finish on the internals gets gritty and holds up the follower.

samuse
11-11-13, 12:52
I think the Beretta 92 has the most reliable magazine design in existence. As long as they're made by P.B., MDS or Mec Gar.

I think the Sand Resistant 15 rounders are the best of the best.

Slater
11-11-13, 16:16
Unless something's changed very recently, the "sand resistant" mags only come standard with the M9A1. They're something like $50 a pop if bought separately (or unless you find a sale/deal).

GrandPooba
11-11-13, 20:14
the Mec-Gar ones are super slick and go in/drop out smoother than Beretta factory mags, although the difference is minor. I would be completely confident with Mec-Gar or beretta factory mags.

I don't like the USGI contract mags at all. Rougher interior finish cause malfunctions and thin baseplates make it harder to reload.

YVK
11-11-13, 21:03
Both Megcar and P.B. mags lose their base pads when dropped on a hard surface, i.e. during reloads. This is really the only problem I've had with a 92 mags.

JonInWA
11-12-13, 09:21
I prefer the Check-Mate current production (since 2004) dry film finished magazines, with their hardened steel baseplate/basepad. They are reliable in any environment, and do not have the DoD contract-mandated crackle-like/dust/sand grabbing phosphate finish that the earlier ones did. While I'm sponsored by Check-Mate, it was a sponsorship that came about parrtially because of my unsolicited appreciation of their magazines, which I've used for years (both M9/92 and 1911 magazines). The magazines perform superbly, and the hardened steel baseplate is not only exceptionally durable, it's also low-profile. I use these magazines virtually exclusively in my Beretta 92D, used for carry, concealment, nightstand, and IDPA-including 3 consecutive years of State Championship match participation.

Beretta/MDS magazines are also excellent, but I personally prefer the Check-Mates.

Best, Jon