PDA

View Full Version : Storm Lake Glock barrel

FinestBh
11-09-13, 16:29
I've been a member for a while, but it's been a long time since I've logged in. That said, has anyone ever run in to this before? I got a Storm Lake Glock 23 barrel, to switch my Glock 32 from .357 Sig to .40 S&W and I'm having a problem. The "notch" where the rear of the guide-rod/recoil spring sits is machined WAY bigger than the factory Glock barrel. This may or may not affect the function/reliability (I didn't shoot it with the new barrel), but what it DOES affect is the LaserMax guide-rod laser I have installed. Quite frankly, the point of aim of the laser is ALL OVER THE PLACE. I'm going to return the barrel, but I don't know if ALL the Storm Lake barrels are machined like this. If so, I'm going to go with a factory Glock barrel. Here's a photo comparison, you can PLAINLY see the difference in machining, the secong picture shows how much "slop" is in the rear of the laser affecting it's point of aim:
Thanks in advance for any info.

letterQ
11-10-13, 05:45
I had the same problem you are having, I ended up selling it and went with the factory barrel, no problems since.

Aftermarket barrels not yet up to par IMO.

theblackknight
11-10-13, 06:20
Aftermarket barrels not yet up to par IMO.

What kind of sample size are you basing that on?

TXinfidel
11-10-13, 06:30
What kind of sample size are you basing that on?

"it", are not up to par lol

FinestBh
11-10-13, 07:34
Thanks for the info... I kind of figured that if the barrels are made on a CNC (which I'm assuming they are), then more than likely they would ALL be like that. I'll be going with a factory Glock 23 barrel instead of the Storm Lake.

platoonDaddy
11-10-13, 07:54
Don't know about your sample size, the lonewolf barrels I have are certainly good-to-go

FinestBh
11-10-13, 08:42
@ PlatoonDaddy... Can you tell me if your "good to go" Storm Lake Glock barrels are machined like the one I have? If you look at the pictures I posted above, you can CLEARLY see why I'm having a problem with the guide-rod laser. The captive notch for the rear of the guide-rod is way too big to effectively keep the laser from moving all over the place. I would like to go with another Storm Lake barrel to have the ability to shoot reloads, but not if they're all machined with an oversized guide-rod notch like the one I have.

deanq
11-10-13, 10:10
While its not your exact situation, I have a Storm lake G35 9mm replacement barrel, and the guide rod seating surface on my barrel is the same as yours. It is a much larger radius than the guide rod. My barrel is probably over a year or so old. Given that, the accuracy of my barrel is not an issue. I can see how a laser pointer guide rod could be problematic! :(
DQ

platoonDaddy
11-10-13, 12:29
@ PlatoonDaddy... Can you tell me if your "good to go" Storm Lake Glock barrels are machined like the one I have? If you look at the pictures I posted above, you can CLEARLY see why I'm having a problem with the guide-rod laser. The captive notch for the rear of the guide-rod is way too big to effectively keep the laser from moving all over the place. I would like to go with another Storm Lake barrel to have the ability to shoot reloads, but not if they're all machined with an oversized guide-rod notch like the one I have.

Yes, I see your issue and I would call CS, from I read (only read) that they have good CS.

I was referencing letterQ's comment: Aftermarket barrels not yet up to par IMO.

trader
11-13-13, 22:10
The Storm Lake barrels are excellent and is probably machined that way to accept all generations of Glock guide rods. I doubt Storm Lake had Lasermax in mind when they did the specs for the barrel. I also doubt Lasermax tested the guide rod laser with any aftermarket barrel. Lasermax does lasers that are Glock generation specific for G3 and G4.