PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable handgun grip size - which insert did you choose, and why?

Arctic1
11-10-13, 16:20
I recently purchased a Glock 17 Gen 4, and I have also owned a S&W M&P9.

I don't have particularly beefy hands, and wear size 9/Large gloves. On both of these guns, I have chosen the largest insert, as it leaves me with more room to place my support hand for better recoil management.

Anyone else do this, or is my theory way off?

dwhitehorne
11-10-13, 18:29
I shoot a medium to small grip. I also have large hands and always liked a large grip. When the USMC switch from the 1911 to the M9 I was one that loved the large grip of the Beretta. I put a Hogue slip on my issued Glock 17 years ago to make it thicker. A few years ago the large grip on my issue P2000 was peeling so bad one of the instructors on the line told be to go have it changed. All they was medium inserts on hand. So I said fine put it on until I can get another large. I went back to qualify after the grip change and shot my first 300 with the P2000. So after five years of carrying the P2000 I found out I shoot better with the medium grip. I decided to get some VZ grips for my CZ75 to make the grip thinner and I now shoot that better too. I also have a M&P I started with the medium grip based on the P2000 experience. I switched to a small insert when I bought a starburst pattern stippled grip and shoot that about the same as a non stippled medium. I don't understand it, the large grip feels better to me but I shoot better with the medium sized insert. David

High Tower
11-10-13, 19:37
Anyone else do this, or is my theory way off?

If it works for you, I'd say your theory is right on the money.

For my P30, I typically use the small inserts. I tried them out to see how they felt and I do better with the small vs. the large. On my Glock 17 gen 4 I left it without the add-ons but installed the grip force adapter. I wear size 12 or 13 gloves and I think the more narrow grips works better inside the meatiness of my palm if that makes sense.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-10-13, 19:49
I always go with the standard insert.

1911-A1
11-10-13, 22:29
I have medium-sized hands, and went with no grip insert on my Gen4 G19 and G34. Coupled with an enlarged mag release and slide stop, it's just about perfect.

Edit: I just measured my hands for some skd alpha gloves, and they're 7.5" wrist to tip of middle finger, and 8.5" around the palm. I always use no insert/smallest insert on pistols so I can reach the mag release and controls properly.

VT RAIDER
11-10-13, 22:48
I have slightly large hands depending on glove type size XL XXL. On my Gen 4 G17 and Gen 4 G21 no backstrap, but on my M&P 9 I go with the medium. I have never really given the backstraps a chance on the Glock as I don't like the engineering. I have tried the all sizes on the M&P and just felt the medium worked best for me...

StrikerFired
11-11-13, 07:14
I wear L to XL gloves and I too have found using the small grips in my M&P 9 works best for me.

jck397
11-11-13, 12:16
Depends on the gun. With my full size M&P the small grip felt the most comfortable, but I shot best with the large. However, with the M&P compact I shot best with the medium. Take all the grips to the range and see what works best with live fire--it might be different than what you think feels best at home.

RWH24
11-11-13, 12:17
I wear L to XL gloves and I too have found using the small grips in my M&P 9 works best for me.
Ditto, I have XL hands but short fat fingers. Sig 226 with short trigger works, XDm with med and M&P9 with small.

RBid
11-11-13, 12:22
I prefer medium on every pistol I've gotten to experiment with (PPQ, M&P, Glock Gen 4).

On my current pistols:
(2011) Glock 19 Gen 4, Medium
(2013) Glock 23 Gen 4, Medium w/beavertail

backspur
11-11-13, 12:31
When I started shooting M&Ps, I started with the large grip. I have large hands and it felt better to me. After some side by side comparison, I shoot better with the medium, even though it did not feel as good as the large.

RWH24
11-11-13, 13:31
When I started shooting M&Ps, I started with the large grip. I have large hands and it felt better to me. After some side by side comparison, I shoot better with the medium, even though it did not feel as good as the large.
On a handgun, a lot of how it shoots depends where the finger rests on the trigger. At least it has to me and students.

http://www.gun-club.net/wiki/doku.php?id=page51

Surf
11-11-13, 15:30
I do not have long fingers so for the Glock Gen4's I do not use an insert. Working the trigger in the manner of my choice is my #1 priority and the Glock can give some people issues with their accuracy in relation to how they grip the pistol or work the Glock trigger. I also prefer not to have to roll the weapon or adjust my grip on the pistol to hit the mag release. For these reasons, I do not use an add on backstrap.

YVK
11-11-13, 21:19
HK P30 has 27 possible grip options. I don't set mine up asymmetrically but, beyond that, I have tried just about every possible combo that involves medium and large side inserts and backstraps, and I used small side inserts too.
While I can rationalize what one combo does and doesn't do for me, I have not been able to quantify performance differences.

PD Sgt.
11-11-13, 22:59
I generally use a medium size grip on my M&Ps, both full size and compact. On my Gen 4 G19 I use the medium with beavertail. I have large hands, and had first tried the large backstraps, but after side by side testing, I shot better with the medium inserts.

CoryCop25
11-11-13, 23:43
I did not base my grip insert preference on "feel".
What I did was shoot a 10 shot group at 10 yards with each of the three inserts.
The grip size that gave me the closest POA/POI was the one that I used.
On the Gen4 Glock it was the Medium backstrap until I went with the Grip Force Adapter with no backstrap.
With the S&W M&P, I use the small insert with the 9MM and the Medium with the 45MID.

walkin' trails
11-12-13, 06:57
No insert on my G26 Gen 4. Small on my M&P 45. Medium on my M&P 9. I have medium size hands. I always shot good with Glock Gen 1-3s, but the slightly smaller grip seems to give me better control of the gun, all me to reach the mag release without shifting my grip, etc.

arcticlightfighter
11-12-13, 07:03
I have run all of my M&P's and now my P30 with the large grip panels and back strap regardless of chambering. As a previous poster stated, my ability to shoot it consistently trumped the overall "feel"

Tzook
11-12-13, 12:58
I have medium size hands, but I generally go for the smaller of the available grips. I prefer to get the absolute most hands on the gun for maximum control