PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDS for everyday shooting?

ddlong25
11-13-13, 14:43
Unlike some people, I can't afford to own multiple guns. I presently have a S&W 9C for the range and Concealed Carry. I'm looking at swapping it out for the XDS 9mm. My reasons are the trigger on the 9C. (yes, I could have the trigger worked on, but read my first sentence). 2nd reason is a slightly less weight and a little easier to carry concealed. All the reviews that I have read state that the XDS would be a good concealed carry weapon, which is main reason Springfield created it, but no one mentions about taking it to the range for an afternoon of shooting. Other than the trigger, I consider the S&W a good gun and I find it comfortable to shoot at the range. Has anyone shot both of these and can give me their opinion?

thanks.

Apricotshot
11-13-13, 14:55
Since you have no great emergency to get the XDs, save your money, then buy it. Meanwhile keep using the MP9c.

Trigger job for the MP is only a few hundred bucks so that may be attained faster than the $450 plus you'll need for a XDs.

PatEgan
11-13-13, 15:07
This Springfield XDS?:
http://www.springfieldrecall.com/

Caveat emptor and all that, it seems...
Pat

SteveL
11-13-13, 15:07
Install the Apex DCAEK (or various other parts of your choice) in your M&P and it will improve the trigger some and it's less expensive than a new gun.

On a side note a friend of mine has an XDS and it has a horrible trigger IMO. I have no idea if that one is representative of the majority of XDS pistols though.

C4IGrant
11-13-13, 15:57
Unlike some people, I can't afford to own multiple guns. I presently have a S&W 9C for the range and Concealed Carry. I'm looking at swapping it out for the XDS 9mm. My reasons are the trigger on the 9C. (yes, I could have the trigger worked on, but read my first sentence). 2nd reason is a slightly less weight and a little easier to carry concealed. All the reviews that I have read state that the XDS would be a good concealed carry weapon, which is main reason Springfield created it, but no one mentions about taking it to the range for an afternoon of shooting. Other than the trigger, I consider the S&W a good gun and I find it comfortable to shoot at the range. Has anyone shot both of these and can give me their opinion?

thanks.

Just so we are clear, you like your M&P 9C and it shoots well. So you are going to sell it (which you will lose money on) and then buy an XD?

I would suggest doing some polishing and or adding SOME apex parts to your gun. This will make a big difference and isn't very much money.

C4

sammage
11-13-13, 16:04
M&P 9C is a much better choice than the XDs. If you had to go lighter/slimmer, a Shield would be an easier transition.

Trajan
11-13-13, 17:41
Your carry gun should be very close if not identical to the one you train with.

As far as weight, buy a good belt. I highly recommend the Ares Gear Ranger belt.

I also recommend doing a search on here on the XD.

varoadking
11-13-13, 19:20
Your training gun should be very close if not identical to the one you train with.

uh...wha?

Trajan
11-13-13, 20:12
uh...wha?

Sorry, I meant carry. Edited.

6Actual
11-13-13, 21:43
The XDS wasn't designed as a range toy may not find an afternoon at the range to be much fun. Speaking as a former XDS owner, your much better off with the smith.

PD Sgt.
11-14-13, 10:59
I would also advise you to keep the Smith. For around 100 dollars you can get a complete APEX kit which will dramatically improve the trigger. This will be cheaper than switching, and let you keep a pistol you seem to otherwise enjoy.

RST Customer Rep
11-14-13, 12:02
As far as weight, buy a good belt. I highly recommend the Ares Gear Ranger belt.
Trajan is right on point. I carry a Glock 23 every day. Weight has not been a major issue(although with a leather belt kinda uncomfortable) however the Ares belt makes a HUGE difference. As far as swapping for an XD, I have shot both and prefer the Smith. However there are other options besides just those. Kahrs are nice IMO. I have fired both 9 and 45 Kahrs, the PM models. I prefer a Glock because that is what fits my overall needs. If it is just a carry/edc/range gun why not look at a mid size pistol?

Kokopelli
11-14-13, 12:09
No Bueno.. IMO.. It's not a fun range pistol for me in 45.. JMO.. Ron

Captains1911
11-15-13, 10:11
I love my XDs, and find it very easy to shoot for it's size (relative to other pistols of similar size), but I would in no way consider it a range gun or a one gun to do everything.