PDA

View Full Version : Is the Glock 30S "ready for prime time?"

brickboy240
11-13-13, 14:52
I used the search function here and found little info on the Glock 30S.

Does anybody here have one? Is it reliable enough for daily carry?

I know the G21 seems to be pretty reliable as is the G30. There are some that curse the G36, although I have borrowed a buddy's and loved the way it shot and it did not jam on me at all.

Was the lighter slide on the G36 versus the G30 what did the G36 in as being unreliable?

I would just like to know if anyone has one...has run a number of rounds through it...and is carrying a G30S. Larry Vickers shot one on Tac TV a few weeks ago and said good things about it. The gun mags all like it but we know that is never a good source as to what makes a good carry gun.

I like the idea of it and it is really just a tad thicker than my G19 but if I hear enough bad feedback...I will avoid it and just stick with the G19.

Thanks in advance for the answers,

-Brickboy240

brushy bill
11-13-13, 20:34
I've been wondering the same thing as I like the 30S concept over 30 or 36. Good post. Hopefully answers will be forthcoming.

brickboy240
11-14-13, 09:59
Yeah, I am pretty much "married" to the 3rd gen Glock 19 for carry. I tested mine for about 1500rds before I decided it was "ready for prime time" or for carry.

I figured that with all the Glock disciples around...somebody has to have bought a G30S and wringed it out by now.

I have two average 1911s that I am thinking about ditching for some sort of 45 to alternate carry with the G19. An old Springer GI and a Kimber TLE II. I would like to trade/sell them for a polymer 45 and since I am pretty much "married" to the Glock platform (with three Glocks already) the G30S is the most appealing.

I have looked at the HK45C and the mid-sized M&P45 but they ARE different from Glocks and if I can keep the same action but have a polymer striker 45 for carry...all the better.

I know there were many that had troubles with the Glock 36. If the G30S has the same problems....I don't want it. However I cannot find anyone with enough trigger time on the G30S to see if it is GTG as a viable carry gun.

Maybe somebody will post.

-brickboy240

Greenhead308
11-14-13, 11:38
The G30s looks like a sweet little gun. I have not shot or handled one yet, but am always on the look at when I'm at the LGS.

I have read good things about them and seen a couple reviews in YouTube. It seems like they are good to go.

brickboy240
11-14-13, 11:59
I have been trying to research what it was that made the G36 such a problem child - the thin slide (vs the G300 or the single stack frame and mag.

Have not found anyone on Glock Talk that bought a G30S and hated it....a good sign.

I really would like to stick to the Glock platform and not go to the HK45C or mid sized M&P45 for mid-sized "carry" 45.

The G30S seems like a thicker G19 in size.

PatEgan
11-14-13, 13:51
I ask this only out of curiosity, not to criticize decisions about wanting to go with a G30S:

Have you tried a G30? What would keep you from carrying one, but accepting a G30S?

Personally, I'd be leary of any new iteration until it's been proven by reliable sources. The G30 (at least the Gen.3) is a proven performer. The slide lock spring is the only part I've ever heard owners having an issue with, and that's an easy and cheap fix. I've carried my G30 as a vest-mounted back up gun, off-duty and EDC gun for years. No questions about slide speed, mass, or reliability. It also takes the G21 magazines, which is my primary pistol to begin with.

Just curious why you guys would not choose the G30 as it currently stands.
Pat

brickboy240
11-14-13, 14:37
Actually, yes....just buying a G30 has crossed my mind. Although the slide is still on the chunky side.

It might actually be easier for me to FIND a G30 because the G30S is hard to find around here for some reason.

I actually like the thinned slide of the G36 and the wider frame/grip of the G30. Maybe with the right holster, I could hide a G30 as well as the 30S..who knows?

I run a G19 in a Raven Phantom holster and have NO problems hiding that...I would need to research hiding the G30 in the same style holster...but nope...the G30 is definitely not out of the running for me at all.

-brickboy240

filthy phil
11-14-13, 14:57
Actually, yes....just buying a G30 has crossed my mind. Although the slide is still on the chunky side.

It might actually be easier for me to FIND a G30 because the G30S is hard to find around here for some reason

-brickboy240
Go to the woodlands show nov 23 & 24
it (30s) will be there for around $540
At least it was at the first show there.

jeepcjvii
11-14-13, 15:16
I am a long time G19 owner and it was my EDC pistol for as long as I have had my CCW. Since 2008. I purchased a 30s this summer and took it to the range as soon as I could. It is every bit as reliable as the G19, G21, G30, etc. I love this gun. It shoots wonderful and fits my hand perfectly. It is slightly smaller than the 19 although the frame is a hair wider. The slide is about the same width but it is shorter. Needless to say, my new EDC pistol is my 30s. I carry IWB with an all leather G19 holster. (The 30s will not fit in all G19 holsters.) It is just enough smaller that I think it conceals better than my G19 in the same holster. The only downfall I see is capacity, 10+1 vs 15+1. Anyway I think it was a great idea for a pistol and I will be keeping my for a very long time. Just my $.02

For those who aren't aware, the 30s is basically a 30sf with a 36 slide. I don't think it shares a barrel from the 36 due to the 30s being double stack instead of single stack.

WickedWillis
11-14-13, 15:31
I am a long time G19 owner and it was my EDC pistol for as long as I have had my CCW. Since 2008. I purchased a 30s this summer and took it to the range as soon as I could. It is every bit as reliable as the G19, G21, G30, etc. I love this gun. It shoots wonderful and fits my hand perfectly. It is slightly smaller than the 19 although the frame is a hair wider. The slide is about the same width but it is shorter. Needless to say, my new EDC pistol is my 30s. I carry IWB with an all leather G19 holster. (The 30s will not fit in all G19 holsters.) It is just enough smaller that I think it conceals better than my G19 in the same holster. The only downfall I see is capacity, 10+1 vs 15+1. Anyway I think it was a great idea for a pistol and I will be keeping my for a very long time. Just my $.02

For those who aren't aware, the 30s is basically a 30sf with a 36 slide. I don't think it shares a barrel from the 36 due to the 30s being double stack instead of single stack.

This looks like the best advice you are likely to get, very good overview. OP you have to remember, according to Glock, the G30S has been in the hands of law enforcement in L.A., and I've been told NM, and AZ for a few years before they released it to the public. SO if that is true, the gun has paid it's dues as far as reliability goes. I personally am waiting for the Gen 4 30s due to the fact I have smaller hands and like the larger magazine release and grip texture. The Glock 30 is one of my very favorite handguns, very few manufacturers come close to producing a well performing mid-size 10+1 45ACP.

brickboy240
11-14-13, 15:41
Yes, all of this is good to know. Thanks for posting.

I was going to get rid of two 1911s that are sub standard and I rarely shoot them.

I have the 9mm category down pretty well with a G17, G19, Hi-Power and an old SIG P228.

The only other 45s I have are two older Colts that I would never carry.

Wanted to consider a 45 to swap out with the G19 sometimes (especially in winter when I have a coat to hide it) and the G30S came up.

I have borrowed a buddy's G36 several times and was shocked at how controllable it is. Tons better than most "officers" sized 1911s.

Other than the G30, the only other "worthy" carry 45s seem to be the HK45C, HK USP45 Compact or the mid-sized M&P45. Then...along came the G30S.

I think I am still going to ditch the two 1911s and will just look harder at both the G30 and G30S. I mainly wanted to make sure I was not getting into a Glock like the 36 that many had troubles with. It is no secret that the G36 is probably Glock's most troublesome pistol. It is also no secret that the G21 and G30 have been pretty trouble free for most owners.

-brickboy240

skipper49
11-14-13, 18:15
I have, or have had quite a few Glocks, including all the 45's, with the exception of the 30s, which is on my "must have" list. FWIW, I owned one of the very early G36's, and carry a 36 of recent manufacture at present. Both of my G36's have been the complete equal of any of my other Glocks in terms of reliability. NEVER a bobble with either. Great little carry 45's, but if your hand size allows, the 36s would be a no-brainer for me. Four more rounds with the only downside being a comfortably wider grip.

Skip

Wolfhound86
11-14-13, 18:52
The Glock 30S was specially designed for LAPD, they wanted something easy to conceal with maximum take down power. THis article may shed some light http://americanhandgunner.com/the-glock-30s/. I plan on getting one and have rented one at local range. Follow up shots were much easier than I expected from such a compact package.

Singlestack Wonder
11-14-13, 21:05
Actually the G30S wasn't actaully a new design. 5 years ago we took G36 slides and tested with G30 frames. Everything functioned great. I mentioned it at a remedial Glock armorer's glass and was told that it wouldn't work. After shooting the combination for 4 years with no issues (along with many others), Glock takes the same idea and stamps the slide 30S. :rolleyes:

NCPatrolAR
11-14-13, 21:08
I had a chance to put a few rounds through a 30S last weekend while teaching a course. It was ok; but not quite my cup of tea. They are pretty rare in these parts at the moment

Greenhead308
11-14-13, 23:30

It might actually be easier for me to FIND a G30 because the G30S is hard to find around here for some reason.

I actually like the thinned slide of the G36 and the wider frame/grip of the G30. Maybe with the right holster, I could hide a G30 as well as the 30S..who knows?

I run a G19 in a Raven Phantom holster and have NO problems hiding that...I would need to research hiding the G30 in the same style holster...but nope...the G30 is definitely not out of the running for me at all.

-brickboy240

I agree. I really like the slimmer profile of the G30s.

WickedWillis
11-15-13, 10:20
Actually the G30S wasn't actaully a new design. 5 years ago we took G36 slides and tested with G30 frames. Everything functioned great. I mentioned it at a remedial Glock armorer's glass and was told that it wouldn't work. After shooting the combination for 4 years with no issues (along with many others), Glock takes the same idea and stamps the slide 30S. :rolleyes:

So should we thank you for pushing Glock to put this together or what?

Trajan
11-15-13, 14:55
I guess my main question is: What is 45 Auto doing for you that 9x19 Parabellum is not? Why not just go all 9mm Glocks (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?871-WHY-GLOCKS-!-WHY-9mm-!)* instead of just all Glocks?

*Incidentally, that is the article that got my head out of my ass about "cool guns" ala SIG P226s and USP 45 Tacticals and start looking at 9mm Glocks and M&Ps before I bought my first pistol.

Singlestack Wonder
11-15-13, 17:27
So should we thank you for pushing Glock to put this together or what?

I guess that's why Glock let the idea sit for a few years so that they could take credit for working with yet another "elite law enforcement unit" to develop the concept. ;)

We've been asking for a full size, single stack, .45acp for years now as well (aka full size 36). I guess when "They" think of the idea, it may come to reality.

Of course with millions of pistols on backorder right now, they are too busy to entertain new concepts at the moment.

Singlestack Wonder
11-15-13, 17:30
I guess my main question is: What is 45 Auto doing for you that 9x19 Parabellum is not?

Some of us still prefer launching larger projectiles at threats. :D

WickedWillis
11-15-13, 17:34
I guess that's why Glock let the idea sit for a few years so that they could take credit for working with yet another "elite law enforcement unit" to develop the concept. ;)

We've been asking for a full size, single stack, .45acp for years now as well (aka full size 36). I guess when "They" think of the idea, it may come to reality.

Of course with millions of pistols on backorder right now, they are too busy to entertain new concepts at the moment.

I was informed that Glock is currently developing a 5" .45 for competition shooters with a slimmer frame.

brushy bill
11-15-13, 20:34
I was informed that Glock is currently developing a 5" .45 for competition shooters with a slimmer frame.

Probably come to production same time as the carbine and single stack 9mm.

Quiet
11-16-13, 01:56

-brickboy240

Because of the thinner slide profile of the Glock 30S, it fits in Glock 19/23/32 holsters.

Quiet
11-16-13, 01:57

I heard it's a .45GAP version of the Glock 34/35.

BBossman
11-16-13, 09:04

I owned a 36 for several years, it was reliable and accurate. I just couldn't figure out where to put my pinky. I ended up selling it a couple years ago.

I always said if Glock ever made a "full-size" 36, I'd put away my 1911.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

brushy bill
11-16-13, 14:24
I heard it's a .45GAP version of the Glock 34/35.

I thought the GAP was only used by a couple of agencies and would otherwise be in the throes of death...maybe I was misinformed.

ST911
11-16-13, 14:41
Because of the thinner slide profile of the Glock 30S, it fits in Glock 19/23/32 holsters.

This is highly dependent on the molding of the holster. Enough that the industry needs to stop advertising that these guns share holsters.

Quiet
11-16-13, 18:36
I thought the GAP was only used by a couple of agencies and would otherwise be in the throes of death...maybe I was misinformed.

5 state law enforcement agencies still use it. Most recent is the Florida Highway Patrol which adopted the Glock 37Gen4 about 2 years ago.
In addition, Glock says about 80 local law enforcement agencies through out the USA use it.

Psalms144.1
11-16-13, 20:28
I have no knowledge of the street worthiness of the G30S, but I'll throw this in the mix. In my experience, the "concealabilty" of a given platform is MOST dependent on the size of the pistol's grip (the slide, in an IWB holster, makes basically no difference). So, I'm not sure what the advantage of the 30S would be from a concealment perspective EXCEPT it might be more comfortable for IWB carry due to the slimmer slide. When I carried a G30 as an off-duty gun, I always found that the overall width of the pistol and, even more, the magazines, were a significant limiting factor - and neither of these things change in the G30S...

Of course, this is one man's opinion, and worth precisely what you paid for it!

Regards,

Kevin

jeepcjvii
11-16-13, 20:48

It does not fit in kydex or hybrid holster very well at all. I have a 30s and have tried it in all of my holsters for the 19. Because the frame is wider it gets wedged in the holster and doesn't want to come out of kydex very well. The all leather holsters have a enough give that they work well with the 30s. Do NOT order a holster for a 19/23/32 expecting that it will fit the 30s, chances are unless it is all leather it won't. I know this from experience.

ST911
11-16-13, 21:24
OP- My observations from a previous thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?127077

I recently shot the G30S (w/ 10rd mag) alongside a G21 and G36. It was not a prolonged range session, but sufficient for a preliminary, informed opinion.

It's an interesting little hybrid. The gun recoils like a G36 due to the mass and stroke velocity of the G36 slide. However, the usual sharpness of the G36 is mitigated somewhat with the larger G30SF grip. The reduced slide girth and resultant weight reduction is noticeable but not profound.

I had no trouble staying on the head of a B21 target or inside a softball at 10yds at various speeds. The gun is obviously capable of better accuracy with more deliberate shooting.

When held alongside a G19 for comparison, the G30S with 10rd magazine was very close in size.

When placed within a G19 holster, the fit was tight. Leather for the G19/23 could be worked to accept the G30S. Fit in plastics would depend entirely on molding. A model-specific holster seems prudent here.

Were I in the market for a compact 45ACP, I would choose the G30S over the standard G30 and G30SF for its overall size efficiency.

I would like to shoot this gun again when available with the gen4 grip texture, and with a 9-round magazine.

No photos, no ammo comparisons, but a starting snapshot.

I have no knowledge of the street worthiness of the G30S, but I'll throw this in the mix. In my experience, the "concealabilty" of a given platform is MOST dependent on the size of the pistol's grip (the slide, in an IWB holster, makes basically no difference). So, I'm not sure what the advantage of the 30S would be from a concealment perspective EXCEPT it might be more comfortable for IWB carry due to the slimmer slide. When I carried a G30 as an off-duty gun, I always found that the overall width of the pistol and, even more, the magazines, were a significant limiting factor - and neither of these things change in the G30S...

Of course, this is one man's opinion, and worth precisely what you paid for it!

Regards,

Kevin

That about covers it.

HKAngusKL
11-16-13, 22:10
I used the search function here and found little info on the Glock 30S.

Does anybody here have one? Is it reliable enough for daily carry?

I know the G21 seems to be pretty reliable as is the G30. There are some that curse the G36, although I have borrowed a buddy's and loved the way it shot and it did not jam on me at all.

Was the lighter slide on the G36 versus the G30 what did the G36 in as being unreliable?

I would just like to know if anyone has one...has run a number of rounds through it...and is carrying a G30S. Larry Vickers shot one on Tac TV a few weeks ago and said good things about it. The gun mags all like it but we know that is never a good source as to what makes a good carry gun.

I like the idea of it and it is really just a tad thicker than my G19 but if I hear enough bad feedback...I will avoid it and just stick with the G19.

Thanks in advance for the answers,

-Brickboy240 I have both the 30sf and the 36. Most of the issues with the 36 have been worked out over the years. You do not hear as much about them having serious reliability issues in later production years. I prefer shooting the 30sf, but the 36 is much more practical to carrry due to how much thinner it is. The slide on a 36 is about the same width as a g19, but it is shorter and the frame is slimmer from side to side than a 19gen4 frame. Both run well for me. I have also tried a 30s and it is easier to shoot than a 36, but is still not as shootable as the 30sf. The recoil impulse on the 36 and 30s is a bit snappier than the 30sf. I have had really good luck with .45 glocks, but my sample size is admittedly limited compared with other users on the forum. I would try each one before you buy if you have the opportunity.

Screwball
11-17-13, 08:52
It does not fit in kydex or hybrid holster very well at all. I have a 30s and have tried it in all of my holsters for the 19. Because the frame is wider it gets wedged in the holster and doesn't want to come out of kydex very well. The all leather holsters have a enough give that they work well with the 30s. Do NOT order a holster for a 19/23/32 expecting that it will fit the 30s, chances are unless it is all leather it won't. I know this from experience.

I picked up a SHTF holster made for my 30S, which fits great. If there is an option to get a holster made for the gun, definitely go that route...

However, I disagree with the part that only leather 19/23 holsters will likely work with the 30S. Mine fits in a new production 19/23 Serpa just like it was made for it. What you really need to look at is to see how the area below the slide and above the trigger is fitted into the holster, being that is what will hinder fitment. If it is molded tight, not likely going to work. It is easier to look at that and make a decision rather than say leather is the way to go (I like leather in certain applications, but depends on the pistol/holster).

With that being said, I love my 30S. Was never a Glock fan (favor the M&P), but was issued a 19 at my old job. I was looking for a compact .45, and once I found the 30S, I liked it (especially being my gun and can modify the trigger to my liking). I swapped out the bases on my 10 round magazines to the Pearce ones, and the gun feels pretty close to a 19... just shooting .45.

R0CKETMAN
11-17-13, 09:35
Will buy a Gen 4 30s as soon as they're available.

SeaSoldier
01-31-14, 18:42
For those of you running Heinie or Warren rear sights on the G30S, how tall of a front sight are you using? I'm using a .245 tall on my G41 and it is working well.

Cagemonkey
02-08-14, 12:31
Bumping this thread for more info. Handed one today at a gun shop. I kinda liked the feel and concept. Which is preferable, a M&P 45 Compact or a Glock 30S?

DTHN2LGS
02-08-14, 15:07
Bumping this thread for more info. Handed one today at a gun shop. I kinda liked the feel and concept. Which is preferable, a M&P 45 Compact or a Glock 30S?

My point of view is 10 rounds vs 8 rounds.

Cagemonkey
02-08-14, 15:18
My point of view is 10 rounds vs 8 rounds.
The extra capacity is nice. Would like to know about shootability and reliability. Seems this pistol didn't generate too much excitement here on the forum.

filthy phil
02-08-14, 18:09
Got mine thursday
http://i60.tinypic.com/2i8urmr.jpg
Feels super with the g21 mag
Hopefully shoot it next week

sparky-kb
02-08-14, 18:15
Will buy a Gen 4 30s as soon as they're available.

A few months back I called Glock and asked when/if a Gen 4 30S would be available. The person I talked to said she didn't know of any plans in the near future since it would require a whole new frame to be put into production vs the already in production parts that make up the 30S. Like I said, that was a few months ago. Unsure if anything has changed or if there is any new word out.

Tequila45
02-08-14, 18:19
So in size comparison would you say grip is similar to a 19? I'm really interested in picking one up if its roughly the same grip size as a 19.

filthy phil
02-08-14, 19:38
So in size comparison would you say grip is similar to a 19? I'm really interested in picking one up if its roughly the same grip size as a 19.

I sold my 19 but heres a 26 with it
http://i58.tinypic.com/2vaguox.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2efib87.jpg
I put one on top of the other and the grip circumference is damn near identical

brushy bill
02-08-14, 23:29
Let us know how it does.

filthy phil
02-11-14, 14:45
Rung it out pretty good today
http://i59.tinypic.com/2cfxua9.jpg

Shot about 80 -90 tula
Maybe 40 wwb fmj 230
1 mag speer jhp and a few umc jhp 230
with the umc I had 1 ftf shooting off-hand
Otherwise fed like a champ. I have a healing finger injury so I had to shoot lefty and it shot to poa
Love it

WickedWillis
02-11-14, 14:54
Rung it out pretty good today
http://i59.tinypic.com/2cfxua9.jpg

Shot about 80 -90 tula
Maybe 40 wwb fmj 230
1 mag speer jhp and a few umc jhp 230
with the umc I had 1 ftf shooting off-hand
Otherwise fed like a champ. I have a healing finger injury so I had to shoot lefty and it shot to poa
Love it

You might have posted this earlier, what did you pay for that guy? Also, I heard it fits in the G19 holsters do you know if this is true?

filthy phil
02-11-14, 15:53
You might have posted this earlier, what did you pay for that guy? Also, I heard it fits in the G19 holsters do you know if this is true?

I paid $650 but that was with shipping and a transfer fee ( but no tax).
just saw one at my lgs that would be right at $600 with tax

Oh, reportedly your leather holsters are more likely to accept a 30s and a 19.
kydex wont work. Per glocktalk

brushy bill
02-11-14, 19:27
Phil, thanks for the review. I want one.

filthy phil
02-13-14, 11:52
Picked up its big brother this morning
http://i59.tinypic.com/ou1sso.jpg

tul9033
03-13-14, 15:49
I bought a 30S about 6 weeks ago and ordered a Serpa 26, 19, and 30 holster. Not a fan of the Serpa concept, but wanted an OWB Level 2 holster for jacket carry. The 30S was just too tight in either the 26 or 19 holsters. It fit, but was on the tight side. The bigger problem was if the gun was pulled against the retention tab you couldn't push the button to release it, the gun was effectively locked in the holster. If the gun was pushed fully into the holster there wasn't an issue other than the tight fit. I wouldn't trust myself or the Serpa under stress to be sure the gun was fully bottomed out in the holster. BTW, the Serpa for the 30 fit, but was loose. With the gun in the holster it rattled more than I cared for when shook. Retention was still good.

I ended up selling it before I fired it. With the holster issues and more importantly the SF frame was too small for my liking. The Gen 4 large beaver tail back strap is a perfect fit for me and has turned me back on to Glocks. If the 30S comes out in a Gen 4 I'll be the first in line. For now I am considering the 30 Gen 4.

One last jab, the finish issues with the Glocks is a real pain the ass. I've ordered 4 Glocks in the past 6 months and all 4 had different finishes. Glock1 had the old heavily textured teflon finish, Glock2 had a dull gray finish, Glock3 had a thinner teflon finish most like Glock1, and finally the 30S had a dark black finish but was very thin. Any tooling marks were quite visible under the finish that would have normally been masked by the teflon coating, it most closely resembled a bluing process. The only recent teflon finish I have received was a Gen 4 G19 made in the USA, all the others were Austrian made,

I see quite a but of misinformation about the tennifer/nitration treatments to the slides. I'm sure most of this savvy group know the difference, but just for clarification tennifer is not the outside finish.

However, I disagree with the part that only leather 19/23 holsters will likely work with the 30S. Mine fits in a new production 19/23 Serpa just like it was made for it.

gradymstack
03-14-14, 02:17
I paid $650 but that was with shipping and a transfer fee ( but no tax).
just saw one at my lgs that would be right at $600 with tax

Oh, reportedly your leather holsters are more likely to accept a 30s and a 19.
kydex wont work. Per glocktalk

I had a 30S it seemed to work alright in my Comp Tac "slide" style hybrid leather/kydex iwb holster intended for 9/40/357 sig Glocks.
Was kind of tight but just barely. Holding the 30S next to my 26 they looked damn near identical in width on the slides.

Tequila45
07-21-14, 21:06
I have an old faithful holster. It's iwb similar to a crossbreed holster. It was for an fnp9 but I was able to order just the 30s kydex shell to swap out for the fnp shell. I can post pics up when it gets here if anyone is interested.

sinister
10-26-14, 23:46
This is a 36 slide on a Gen 4 29/30 frame. I like it. Got a Galco FLETCH for a 30 coming.

http://i58.tinypic.com/fl99j8.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/jpvpc7.jpg

If Glock starts making a 21 with a slim slide a la the 36, 30S, and 41 I'm getting one.

Size comparison (not my photo or guns):

http://www.reedercustomguns.net/forum/images/uploaded/2015011119475054b2d3668d294.jpg

JeremyVG
10-30-14, 23:38
The few times I've fired G30s's I was impressed. It was a little snappier than the G30 but still very manageable.

I'm with the group that will buy a Gen4 model if they become available. I like the 9mm best, but enjoy shooting the .45 on occasion.

jvg

signal4l
10-31-14, 08:40
I like the idea of a G19 sized .45. I wish Glock would have made the 30S with mags that fit flush with the grip. They could have lengthened the grip and not increased the size of the gun. Its too easy to pinch my hand when I reload with the current set up. This makes the 30S a no go for me

Dennis
10-31-14, 09:01
I like the idea of a G19 sized .45. I wish Glock would have made the 30S with mags that fit flush with the grip. They could have lengthened the grip and not increased the size of the gun. Its too easy to pinch my hand when I reload with the current set up. This makes the 30S a no go for me

Pinching can be avoided by reloading with full size 13rd mags which also have the advantage of more bullets, likely a useful advantage if reloading becomes necessary ☺

Why carry extra mags with less rounds anyways?

Dennis.

Psalms144.1
10-31-14, 09:25
I agree that I would have liked to have seen the G30S come with a "compact" grip and flush-fitting magazine rather than the "subcompact" grip and extended magazine. I also don't get why Glock chose to give the 29/30 a shorter slide and barrel than the 19/23 - all in all, I'd be happier with a pistol that mirrored the G19's dimensions except for grip width.

Having said all that, my G30S has been flawless through about 1000 rounds now. It is snappier in recoil than the G30 I used to have, but still more pleasant to shoot, IMHO, than my G23 (and forget the G27). My sample of one is exceptionally accurate as well, much more mechanically accurate than the G19 I carry as a daily duty pistol...

Regards,

Kevin

signal4l
10-31-14, 10:00
Pinching can be avoided by reloading with full size 13rd mags which also have the advantage of more bullets, likely a useful advantage if reloading becomes necessary ☺

Why carry extra mags with less rounds anyways?

Dennis.

Valid point. However, I still wish it had a grip the same length as a G19

Dennis
10-31-14, 14:33
Valid point. However, I still wish it had a grip the same length as a G19

Yes, that would make a lot of sense.

Dennis.

jrd
11-09-14, 21:57
I have been carrying my 30S for about 6 months with no problems. Went from an LCP (380) to LC9 (9mm) but both seemed "not enough". I have a G21 (gen 2) that I love (carried it "Jeepin" for years). It was too much for CCW. For whatever reason, when I picked up the 30S, it just "fit" me. I instantly fell in love with it and have been carrying it ever since. For me it was the 45ACP (10+1), the 45ACP felt more adequate, the feel of the piece in my hand, and the fact that I love the platform - it just works (period). I did the research and everyone loved it that used it - me too. Mine is (24x7x365) either on my hip, on the desk next to me, or on the nightstand.