PDA

View Full Version : School a glock newb on what to look for

1slow01Z71
11-14-13, 18:09
Never owned a glock before, only a couple XDs since I'm mainly a rifle guy. Im pretty set on a G21. The main use will be as a suppressor host for general plinking and carrying on the deer lease. It will not carried concealed or used as a race gun. The main allure for me is the large factory glock mags and of course reliability. In passing while reading the forums I've read of some problems with the newer glocks but I believe that has been fixed. It will get a threaded barrel, any suggestions on who to go with woukd be great. I mainly shoot plated bullets from berrys and rock mountain. From what I've read it seems like an aftermarket connector will be about it for trigger work. Is there anything that makes one gen brtter than the other? I can get used LEO guns for less than 400 which is fine as I figure I'll be replacing the barrel and will be getting it cerakoted in fde but all of these guns are gen 2 or 3, no 4s yet atleast.

I like the M&Ps as well but the low capacity mag is the main killer since this gjn will mainly be a plinking gun to play with can. I do plan to get one of the mp 9mm vtac guns as they look sharp to me and shoot well but thats after I get the glock.

Any help in making an informed decision is appreciated.

Voodoo_Man
11-14-13, 18:15
OEM Glock triggers are pretty good, if you aren't gana race it or carry it, you really don't need to modify the gun much (if any). As far as barrels go, the cheap option is Lone Wolf, their barrels are plentiful. If you don't really need better than OEM quality, I'd suggest going with that brand.

Other than that, the G21 is about as reliable of a gun as you can get. I have a gen4 at home and a gen3 for duty work, my duty gun has in the 10k range, not an issue yet.

JB13
11-15-13, 19:50
I just took the Tac-Pistol Instructor course at CSAT and one of the guys I was helping teach during the 2-day course showed up with a Glock by frame and slide only. This pistol was just one malfunction after another. His pistol had after market everything trigger, springs, spring cups and so on. Needless to say he went back to all OEM parts before the course was over and it ran flawlessly. One of the fellow AI's just so happened to be a Glock employee and Glock Instructor and he advised OEM parts is the best way to keep a Glock running reliably. This is just my experience but I personally run a G17 Gen 3 and haven't had any problems the only things I have changed were the sights and put in a extended mag release.

filthy phil
11-15-13, 21:05
Got gen 4's 17 and 20 and both have been perfect.
The 17 I can shoot almost as good as my 1911

walkin' trails
11-16-13, 10:59
I've had two 21s, the second being an early SF. Both were reliable as the day is long. My local state police have used the 21s since the late 90s with no complaints. I'm not much on internal mods either, and a 5lb Glock trigger with lube in the right places is fine. I don't have experience with after market barrels, but there are established companies making them so you shouldn't have any trouble. Police trade-ins are generally good. The night sights will likely show some wear and not always have that much life left, but sights aren't hard to replace. One aftermarket product I do appreciate is the Wolff Spring company for Glock mag springs. My experience has found them more reliable than the factory springs.

brushy bill
11-16-13, 14:39
I know in the 9mms there was an e-series recall due to potential issues with the slide rails. Not sure if this affected the 21s however. Not aware of any other issues except for the occasional "kaboom" which is typically attributed to reloaded ammo, lead, or overcharged factory ammo.

PatEgan
11-16-13, 22:54
"One of the fellow AI's just so happened to be a Glock employee and Glock Instructor and he advised OEM parts is the best way to keep a Glock running reliably."

Unless the OEM parts are what are keeping it from running reliably.

I happily own a Gen.3 G17 for which I needed to switch parts out on in order to get reliable, consistent ejection and extraction. I'm not bitter about having to spend more money to make it right, as I'm very happy with it, and it's a fraction of the cost of getting a 1911 to work as reliably.

On the other hand, my Gen.3 G21 has been as reliable as day following night. It's been my duty gun for years, and for tens of thousands of rounds. No malfunctions with ejection, extraction, or weapon mounted lights. It just keeps going. You pretty much can't go wrong with a G21.
Pat