PDA

View Full Version : Gen-4 Glock 19 enhancements

Big A
11-29-13, 12:14
Hello everyone,

My cousin purchased his first gun this summer, a Gen-4 G19.

I was wanting to get him either the Vickers slide stop lever or the factory Glock extended one. I run the Glock one on mine and have no experience with the Vickers one other than fondling a few at my LGS. My question is for those that have run both, which do you prefer?

I was also planning to get him the Vickers mag release but I am wondering if they are really necessary on the Gen-4 guns?

Thanks in advance to all who reply...:cool:

SeriousStudent
11-29-13, 13:42
I don't have any Gen4 Glocks. I do have six of the Gen2\Gen3 Glocks. All have Vicker's slide stop levers and mag releases.

So that would be a "Yes" on which I prefer.

jpmuscle
11-29-13, 14:08
I have one on my gen4 17 and with a emphatic yes it's worth it. 100%.

Sent from my DROID X2

Trajan
11-29-13, 15:12
Yes, I highly recommend both parts. I don't really care for the OEM extended slide stop, the Vickers is much better. It's design was inspired by the M&Ps slide stop, but I believe it was extended a bit more. It's easier for me to manipulate it vs. the M&P slide stop.

Vickers Gen 4 mag release absolutely. At first impression I wasn't impressed just playing with it, but then I did a few reload drills with it and I was sold. With the standard gen 4 mag release I was still slightly moving the frame to get a better purchase on the release; with the Vickers that is unnecessary. You just move your thumb and push. Best mag release I have used so far for any pistol.

civiliansheepdog
11-29-13, 15:15
I know for a fact the Vickers mag release for a Gen. 4 is outstanding!

RMiller
11-29-13, 15:21
I consider the vickers slide stop and an extended mag release good buys for any glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Surf
11-29-13, 15:27
I have both and either one works well but I would give the edge to the Vickers. However I prefer to modify the stock magazine release button by reshaping and texturing it. I very much prefer this over both the Glock or Vickers version.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Firearms/G1901.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Firearms/G1902.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Firearms/g1903.jpg

ggammell
11-29-13, 15:55
The factory model impedes my desire to have a true thumbs forward grip. The nub that sticks out causes me to hold it down and keep the slide from locking back on an empty mag. I have to throw the strong hand thumb out a little to prevent this.

brushy bill
11-29-13, 16:14
I have both and prefer the factory extended slide lock / release to the Vicker's on all but a Glock 26. However, I prefer the Vicker's magazine release to the factory extended. YMMV.

brushy bill
11-29-13, 16:16
I have both and either one works well but I would give the edge to the Vickers. However I prefer to modify the stock magazine release button by reshaping and texturing it. I very much prefer this over both the Glock or Vickers version.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Firearms/g1903.jpg

Surf, the subtle curve on that release is very nice. You should consider producing these for retail sales.

TXBK
11-29-13, 17:42
As LAV explained to us in one of his classes, his slide stop and mag release are inbetween Glocks factory and extended parts. He illustrated how the factory slide stop and mag release come up short, and the extended parts are too much and tend to get in the way. I shot my Gen4 19 a little bit with the factory parts, and changed them out before the class with the Vicker's parts. They work very well.

Voodoo_Man
11-29-13, 17:47
There is no reason to upgrade anything from stock unless it makes your times faster, makes your draw/reload cleaner or improves your shooting.

My Gen4 G19(s) are bone stock, aside from an APEX extractor for my older, more beat up G19 because it fell into that bad batch, other than that modification is not required unless its required.

Plumber237
11-29-13, 18:03
I'm a slingshot guy so the slide stop doesn't concern me at all, but the Vicker's mag release absolutely blows the OEM one out of the water. Besides new sights, the mag release and an OEM medium beavertail backstrap (finally these sell separate!) are the only upgrades I put on mine. I get slide bite on the mid-size glocks, but like the glock angle, so the OEM beavertail replaced my grip force adapter. IMO the Vicker's mag release is a must.

PD Sgt.
11-29-13, 18:05
Besides the sights, the Vickers slide stop and mag release are the two things that I install on any gen Glock I own.

I find the slide stop the bigger improvement over stock. It offers more purchase and stands off the frame just enough over stock I find it much more efficient to use. The Glock extended stop is just that, longer. To me it just as often as not prevents slide lock with my grip, and does not aid in dropping the slide.

JHC
11-29-13, 18:43
I would let him shoot the piss out of it stock. If he can run well w/o aftermarket part swapping don't change them. $0.02.

JB13
11-29-13, 18:44
My recommendation would be sights and ammo/range time. Get to know your pistol and if you want to change mag release and slide stop after plenty of rounds do so.

tw4
11-29-13, 19:27
Ok I only run factory parts on all my glocks (6) except a few things.
OEM Factory Extended slide release
Scherer ramped grip plug
OEM Factory 3.5 trigger disconnect
OEM Factory steel front and rear sights or a front Ameriglo yellow illuminesant square with night sight and steel Factory rears.
OEM Factory Glock Gen 3 smooth trigger bar ( makes the gen 4 pull smoother too)

givo08
11-29-13, 22:21
In gen4's, I prefer the glock factory extended release. I shot several thousand rounds through a gen4 and found I would occasionally "miss" a reload by not pushing the mag release in all the way with the factory part. The extended release solved this.

In gen3's, I do prefer the vickers over the extended oem which is too long. If you can get your hands on a glock factory "medium" mag catch in gen3, they are just as good as the vickers. They aren't available to the general public though.

Psalms144.1
11-29-13, 22:25
While I don't consider it strictly necessary to add the Vicker's Gen4 magazine release, I do prefer its profile to the factory offering, and all my Gen4s have them. The slide release is a part I don't bother with, as I've never had an issue activating the factory slide release.

If I was spending any money, it would be on better sights, then ammunition and training. If there's a mechanical issue that needs to be addressed once the shooter knows how to run the pistol reasonably well, THEN I'd spend the money on accessorizing...

Regards,

Kevin

YVK
11-30-13, 00:08
I've seen so many people, myself included, get a slide no-lock on empty mag with a stock slide stop, I've little interest in a larger part.
I prefer a factory extended mag release button. I've not had any side effects from it, and does allow easier engagement.

Wake27
11-30-13, 00:15
Guys, he said this is for his cousin. If he's like me, he may love his cousin but may not want to drop a couple hundred on him for a class. This whole "buy ammo, take a class, and shoot the shit out of it before anything else" routine is getting a little old. Obviously it's good advice, but seems like some people are just throwing it everywhere and expecting it to apply to everything.

OP - I haven't tried the OEM extended versions, but I do consider the Vickers mods must-do for any of my Glocks. Sure they're not as high a priority as sights, and honestly I have no friggin clue if they make me reload faster, but they feel better to me so that's worth the couple of bucks, IMO. For the vast majority of shooters, I think it'd be hard to go wrong with those parts. I got them as Christmas presents for my sister last year. She liked them and they didn't break the bank - win/win.

JHC
11-30-13, 14:55
Guys, he said this is for his cousin. If he's like me, he may love his cousin but may not want to drop a couple hundred on him for a class. This whole "buy ammo, take a class, and shoot the shit out of it before anything else" routine is getting a little old. Obviously it's good advice, but seems like some people are just throwing it everywhere and expecting it to apply to everything.

OP - I haven't tried the OEM extended versions, but I do consider the Vickers mods must-do for any of my Glocks. Sure they're not as high a priority as sights, and honestly I have no friggin clue if they make me reload faster, but they feel better to me so that's worth the couple of bucks, IMO. For the vast majority of shooters, I think it'd be hard to go wrong with those parts. I got them as Christmas presents for my sister last year. She liked them and they didn't break the bank - win/win.

+1 about the class but why change parts other than sights? There is a population of those aftermarket mag and slide releases that don't agree with the shooter or the individual gun. The TD/LAV slide release I got wouldn't function on any of several guns I've tried it in. And there is a nice easy bend trial and error process to tune it to work. Great. Don't need it. I think swapping out parts on someone else's pistol before they even get any shooting with it is bad business.

Wake27
11-30-13, 17:03
+1 about the class but why change parts other than sights? There is a population of those aftermarket mag and slide releases that don't agree with the shooter or the individual gun. The TD/LAV slide release I got wouldn't function on any of several guns I've tried it in. And there is a nice easy bend trial and error process to tune it to work. Great. Don't need it. I think swapping out parts on someone else's pistol before they even get any shooting with it is bad business.

Well I wasn't suggesting it before any shooting. But, since they are cheap and its a Glock, they're easy to swap in/out as desired. If it was a 1911 part that required fitting and all of that, then it'd be another story.

theblackknight
12-02-13, 11:50
If it was My cousin, I would buy them their sights of choice and a - connector 1st.

Why? Because both of those parts help every time the trigger is pulled, and a greater number of glock shooters change those parts at a higher % and 1st over others.

These aftermarket controls people are talking about might only have the possibility to help the shooter during reloads/clearances if the shooters hands a small enough to where these parts make the difference. Considering this is a 1st handgun, it might be a while before it's known or not.

theblackknight
12-02-13, 11:53
The factory model impedes my desire to have a true thumbs forward grip. The nub that sticks out causes me to hold it down and keep the slide from locking back on an empty mag. I have to throw the strong hand thumb out a little to prevent this.

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/06/sig-sauer-secrets.html

EzGoingKev
12-02-13, 19:19
I change out -
Stock mag release for a Vickers. I have small hands and have trouble with the stock one. The Glock extended part sticks out too far IMO.

Stock slide release for a Vickers. It is the same size as a stock one but has a more aggressive texture. The stock one is too smooth IMO, especially if it or your hands are wet.

Sights. This is a personal preference and some people keep the stock sights. If they work for you then great, if not swap them out.

On my 19 and 23 I swapped the trigger assembly out as I like the smooth trigger the full sized pistols ship with.

Trigger parts are subjective also. I run -
Glock dot connector
Stock return spring
Wolff reduced power firing pin block spring
Wolff extra power firing pin spring

littlejerry
12-02-13, 19:52
I own both a Gen3 19 and Gen4 19.

On the Gen 3 guns I love the Vickers mag release. On Gen 4 guns it doesn't do anything for me. The OEM Gen 4 release is perfectly useable as is.

I don't like any of the extended slidestops available(factory or Vickers) as they interfere with my grip. I don't have any problems running the stock slide stop even when using a GFA.

The Vickers parts aren't cheap. For the same price you could get your buddy a set of Ameriglo Defoor sights, or a few boxes of ammo. Or a Safariland OWB holster. Or 2 Kytex mag pouches. Or a match entry fee.

On a Gen4 gun I'd advise changing out the sights and then just shooting it.

EzGoingKev
12-02-13, 20:05
I don't like any of the extended slidestops available(factory or Vickers) as they interfere with my grip. I don't have any problems running the stock slide stop even when using a GFA.

Vickers slide stops are not extended, they just have a more aggressive texture -

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_UsHERDQwRY/Up07zbHvfBI/AAAAAAAAGyM/YVgf_xbxQJg/s800/Glock_slide_stops.jpg
From the top down - Glock extended, Vickers, Glock standard length.

REM_11
12-02-13, 20:14
[QUOTE=EzGoingKev;1805599]Vickers slide stops are not extended, they just have a more aggressive texture -

Actually, the Vickers slide stops are extended. Not "aggressive", but they definitely stick out from the frame farther than the stock piece.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RMiller
12-02-13, 20:32
If it was My cousin, I would buy them their sights of choice and a - connector 1st.

Why? Because both of those parts help every time the trigger is pulled, and a greater number of glock shooters change those parts at a higher % and 1st over others.

These aftermarket controls people are talking about might only have the possibility to help the shooter during reloads/clearances if the shooters hands a small enough to where these parts make the difference. Considering this is a 1st handgun, it might be a while before it's known or not.

This.

These were the 2 greatest improvements to my glock for ME. Heine straight sights and a 3.5 lbs connector increased my hits on target especially out at 25yds +

Wake27
12-02-13, 20:40
The Vickers slide release is extended, just away from the frame. To say that it isn't is misleading. Also, since when does $35 get you a Safariland or better sights?

littlejerry
12-02-13, 20:59
The Vickers slide release is extended, just away from the frame. To say that it isn't is misleading. Also, since when does $35 get you a Safariland or better sights?

Safariland 5197: $35
http://www.holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model5197.asp

Ameriglo GCF115, .115 Serrated front sight: $20
Ameriglo GL400U, .150 rear with set-screw: $12

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/black-sights

Wake27
12-02-13, 21:23
Safariland 5197: $35
http://www.holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model5197.asp

Ameriglo GCF115, .115 Serrated front sight: $20
Ameriglo GL400U, .150 rear with set-screw: $12

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/black-sights

Damn. Didn't know that, thanks.

FAB45
12-05-13, 09:13
Yeah, my very first order of business on all new Glocks is to change out those plastic sights. To me, that is the only MUST have the rest are nice additions tho.

newyork
12-05-13, 09:23
Except for sights, I haven't felt the need for "enhancements"

EzGoingKev
12-05-13, 09:30
Except for sights, I haven't felt the need for "enhancements"

That is fine too. If all the stock parts work for you then great.

theblackknight
12-05-13, 17:45
Not many are a fan of the 7lb trigger pull that comes with most of the guns.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

kevN
12-05-13, 18:16
The Gen4 stock mag release is better than the stock Gen3 one, but it's still a little hard to manipulate because of the angle it's at. The Vickers mag release there is a big improvement.

I personally don't use any extended slide stops as for me they seem to interfere with slide lock on empty mags for glocks.
Sights are a must, for a good value I'd look at the Ameriglo CAP sights with yellow outline. I also like a grip plug for added insurance.

One thing that's not part of the gun but is good for everyone to have is an armorer punch beyond the backstrap holder thing that comes with the g4.

Toyoland66
12-05-13, 23:19
I have found the vickers slide stop and mag release to be valuable improvements on both gen 4 and gen 3 guns. Those as well as sights and buttplugs are the parts that are installed on my glocks. I don't have any issues with the stock triggers.

Big A
12-06-13, 10:03
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

Per my advice the first thing my cousin did was swap out the sights for some Trijicon HD's (They were his choice and what his LGS had in stock) and get a grip plug. I'm planning to get him a smooth faced trigger for Christmas and was thinking about these other two parts as well. He is still waiting for his CWP to come back and to me holsters have a personal preference to them so I'll let him decide what he wants to use for carry. I'll certainly point him in the right direction to do his own research though. He is a 22 year old college student and more like a younger brother to me than a cousin. I don't have the coin to drop on a class for him but want to help him out as best I can.

I will give the - connector some thought. I didn't like the one I put on my G23 because it would cause the trigger reset to snap back really hard and beat up the up pad of my finger. It was supposedly a Ghost - connector. I bought it at a gun show before I knew any better.

My personal Glocks are already set up the way I want them with the exception of swaping out some sights for better ones on a couple of them. I run the Vickers mag release on my Gen 3's and the Glock extended slide release because I've had them long before the Vickers one came out and have yet to have any experience with the Vickers one except fondling a few at my LGS. I also run the smooth triggers on the ones that didn't come with them.

Wake 27, we're on the same page ;) thank you.

m4brian
12-07-13, 10:52
I believe this is within the topic.

I have gone to a GFA adaptor to rid "Glock-bite".

While I enjoy the angle, etc., with gloves the GFA moves the trigger reach just a tad beyond optimum.

As I understand it, the 'new' small beavertail/backstrap for the Gen4 changes the grip to that identical to a regular Gen3. Is this true? If so, I may try this beavertail as a solution.

Wake27
12-07-13, 11:33
I don't think I mentioned the GFA. That is very much personal preference as only 1 of the 3 guys I know that shoot Glocks like it, but for me it is absolutely a must. I always felt like a monkey on a doorknob when trying to grip and point the Glock before I tried the GFA. That and the sights were two things that honestly did make my accuracy instantly better.

Doublestack45
12-08-13, 06:02
In the process of setting up my third gen4 19 (VVxxx series, test fire 8/13) as a backup/ suppressor host.
Will be installing the Apex fre again, based on having over 25k rounds on one (SYRxxx series, test fire 5/12). I have been carrying it's sequentially numbered Apex fitted twin after first clearing it with 1k trouble free rounds. All my nines are set up with Heinie ledge 8's, Apex fre's (except the 26), TD floor plates, Vickers mag releases, grip plugs, and smooth faced triggers.
Gave up on GFA on all but the 26 after more than a year- finding I was just as effective without.
For me the sights and Apex are musts, with the rest adding function that compliments my performance.

Tempted not to even shoot the new gun before the Apex parts are installed- anybody need a new LCI extractor?