PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer P226R Review: Oldie But A Goodie

plouffedaddy
12-07-13, 10:13
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/708/fw04.jpg (http://imageshack.com/i/jofw04j)

The Sig P226 has been around since the XM9 service pistol trials in the mid-80s. Its' basic design comes from the P220 but it has a double stack magazine and is chambered in 9mm (40S&W and 357SIG variants are out now obviously).

Here's my summary of the pros and the cons of the gun:

Pros:
-Ultra reliable. I've had several P226s over the years and none has had reliability issues at all.
-Nitron finish. The new Nitron/IonBond finish seems to be holding up better than some of the older versions I've seen.
-Aftermarket accessories are readily available.
-Very accurate gun.
-You can choose which trigger system you'd like (DA/SA/SAO/DAK/ect…). DA/SA is the most common and the one I prefer.
-Available in tons of different configurations to suit the users needs.
-No external safeties.
-Compliant in most ban states.
-Very attractive looking gun.
-Magazines are widely available from 15-20 round factory options.

Cons:
-Expensive. While surplus P226s are still out there at reasonable costs, new models are priced higher than many other competitors out there.
-Relatively heavy. Aluminum frame models come in at 34oz.
-High bore axis. Not an issue in 9mm but with some more powerful rounds it may slow down follow up shots for less skilled shooters.

All in all, the P226 remains a classic gun that you can buy and be very certain you won't go wrong along with the CZ75, G17, 92FS, ect…. Here's my video with some shooting, a breakdown of the pistol, a discussion of the operation and features of the gun, and my overall thoughts on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKyTZXxGoAw

Clay
12-07-13, 14:10
Great review. Thanks. Love those grips.

Mamiller
12-07-13, 16:15
Love the P226.

Big A
12-07-13, 17:44
Nice pistol. I love the wood grips. Metal framed guns are supposed to have wood grips. It's the eleventh commandment...:D

sasage
12-07-13, 18:24
What's the size difference of adding g10 grips if any? I saw e2 dimensions but not g10.

fivestar51
12-08-13, 03:24
Very nice write up. Ive had Sigs for about 13 years now, and have usually had at least one P226 floating around in my safe. Currently I have a Mk25 and a P226R DAK .40. Ive always found them to be ultra reliable and easy to use.

fivestar51
12-08-13, 03:27
What's the size difference of adding g10 grips if any? I saw e2 dimensions but not g10.

I cant speak of any actual dimensions, but the G10 grips definitely slim the grip area down. The biggest draw, for me anyways, is that the G10's dont have the annoying "hump" in the left side grip panel. They fit my hand much better. Ive put the G10's on my Mk25 and P226R. On my P220R ive got the factory slim grips, which feel almost as good. I have no experience with the E2 grip.

plouffedaddy
12-08-13, 10:04
Nice pistol. I love the wood grips. Metal framed guns are supposed to have wood grips. It's the eleventh commandment...:D

"Thou shall not put polymer grips on metal framed guns."

Yup, I remember that from Sunday school. :cool:

Talon167
12-08-13, 11:29
I've been really getting into my Sigs lately. Really like my 226 Combat. Thinking of adding an M11-A1 eventually.

gunnut284
12-08-13, 14:08
I carried one on duty for about seven years and they always worked well for me. I prefer the DA/SA version over the DAK version I had for much of that time. The notable issues I had (beyond disliking the DAK) were the placement of the slide stop (my grip interfered with it functioning) and the trigger reach was a touch long (fixed by E2 grips). I generally agree with the pros/cons liked in the original post. I prefer the newer models over the older ones (I know many will disagree), the solid slides with Nitron finish are more durable, corrosion resistant and softer shooting IMO.

thebarracuda
12-08-13, 16:00
Having never shot the 226, how does the standard grip compare to the Beretta 92? Also, how does adding the g10 grips compare the stock Beretta? I have a fair amount of experience with the 92fs, but have been thinking of trying something new that doesn't involve a polymer frame.

graffex
12-08-13, 16:10
Having never shot the 226, how does the standard grip compare to the Beretta 92? Also, how does adding the g10 grips compare the stock Beretta? I have a fair amount of experience with the 92fs, but have been thinking of trying something new that doesn't involve a polymer frame.

The Sig definitely feels slimer than the 92f. The g10s will make the Sig even slimmer

thebarracuda
12-08-13, 16:27
Thank you graffex! That's what I was looking for.

PD Sgt.
12-09-13, 13:46
I used to have a P226R 9mm in all stainless. I sold it to a buddy, and still it is probably the pistol I most regret selling. With the added weight of the stainless lower, shooting it it was like dry firing with noise. I had installed the short reset trigger and CT grips. It was an extremely accurate pistol, and I had no reliability issues.

The downside, and excuse I used to get rid of it, was that for a 17 plus 1 9mm, there were numerous choices that were lighter, more ergonomic, and as accurate; the PPQ being just one example. Still, there is much to be said for a reliable steel framed, hammer fired pistol. The 226 always felt solid in hand, and that lent confidence to using it. I would still consider my old SIG to be a viable option for a full size duty pistol, but in my current duties, there are other, more convenient options.

johnson8228
12-11-13, 03:23
Would never get rid of my 226's. Both stock dao w/o rail.

brickboy240
12-11-13, 12:38
Great review!

(although if a SIG P-series has a rail...can you really call it an "oldie?")

I have three older non-rail SIGS, a W. German P228, W. German P220 and a Swiss P225. All are as you found...easy to shoot, reliable and very accurate.

I carried the P228 for many years, but found the slimness and striker of the G19 a better fit for carry and now mostly carry some form of Glock.

I always wanted to get a nice W. German P226 to round out my older P-Series collection. Maybe some day.

Glad to know the newer SIG P-Series guns shoot so well. They are kind of pricey but seem very well made. Too bad our military went with the M9 over this pistol...I think it would have been a better fit.

-brickboy240

Brianb23
12-11-13, 17:12
Beautiful gun, second only to a good 1911 or anything HK ;)

railpig314
12-11-13, 17:46
I have a P226 W. German 9mm. First pistol I carried on duty. Great pistol! Very accurate! I love it and will pass it down to one of my daughters. I actually like the stock plastic grips that came on it.....

Big A
12-11-13, 20:30
I have a P226 W. German 9mm. First pistol I carried on duty. Great pistol! Very accurate! I love it and will pass it down to one of my daughters. I actually like the stock plastic grips that came on it.....

Blasphemy!!!!

brickboy240
12-12-13, 10:13
I always found the hard plastic SIG stocks too slippery when my hands got sweaty. I swapped the grips on my SIGs to the rubber Hogues.

-brickboy240

ra2bach
12-12-13, 13:37
nice vid, like all of yours...

not a criticism but an observation, on my personal guns I don't like to let the slide slam forward without the resistance of a round present. I simply lower them with my other hand as I feel it places unnecessary shock to the locking block and lever, which on certain SIGS has been a point of failure. that habit has has carried over to all autos of any make. however, I am certain not to do this with a round present and use the slide release to chamber a round. again, not a criticism as I have met many people who pooh-pooh this idea but my SIGS are all older models and I intend to keep them around for awhile.

stay safe...

plouffedaddy
12-13-13, 21:37
nice vid, like all of yours...

not a criticism but an observation, on my personal guns I don't like to let the slide slam forward without the resistance of a round present. I simply lower them with my other hand as I feel it places unnecessary shock to the locking block and lever, which on certain SIGS has been a point of failure. that habit has has carried over to all autos of any make. however, I am certain not to do this with a round present and use the slide release to chamber a round. again, not a criticism as I have met many people who pooh-pooh this idea but my SIGS are all older models and I intend to keep them around for awhile.

stay safe...

Thank you.

The only guns that I worry about that on are 1911s but I suppose it couldn't hurt to extend that to all pistols.

Gary1911A1
12-14-13, 05:07
Great video review. Just picked up a CPO 226 and it looks almost new.

coastwatcher42
12-14-13, 12:39
Great review. I had a West German made P226 back in the late 80s and kick myself every day for getting rid of it. Lately I've been thinking about getting another one, maybe a Mk 25, and your review just strengthens my desire.