PDA

View Full Version : Got a Walther P99 today

ShipWreck
12-07-13, 17:00
Once upon a time, I was a huge P99 fanatic. I had 3 or 4 of them at one point... Even helped sell about 14 on various internet forums, as I was such a vocal fan of the gun.... Well, I got back into Beretta 92's a few years ago, and ended up eventually selling off my P99s. Even had the slides on all of them hard chromed at one point....

Well, at the last Houston gun show, I picked up a P99 again and looked at it. I had been considering a PPQ for over a year now. But, I just prefer DA/SA over a constant glock-style trigger... My S&W Shield is the only handgun I have that isn't DA/SA. I like the PPQ grip more, but they don't make a DA/SA version.

In the 3 weeks or so since that last gun show - the gun has been on my mind. When my plans to see my hockey game in Dallas got screwed up because of the ice storm, I decided to drive to Houston and catch the larger Reliant Gun Show today. There was one P99 A/S pistol in the whole show. Snagged it.

I'm selling a 22 Buckmark to make up the $ I am short. But, At least I don't have to sell a Beretta 92.

So, back in as a Walther owner :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/P99-1_zpse67bb7ab.jpg~original

BigTinVA
12-07-13, 17:34
You got a line on any spare mags for the P99 A/S pistols?

ShipWreck
12-07-13, 17:50
You got a line on any spare mags for the P99 A/S pistols?

Not at a decent price. I looked online. Wow... They are high. Much pricier than when I used to have several...

Wolvee
12-07-13, 18:06
The P99 is a great pistol. One of my favorites to shoot, I just wish Walther would get their act together and start shipping guns & mags instead of trickling them out like they do.

loupav
12-07-13, 20:16
That's very cool. I love my P99AS, it has the sweetest trigger of all my pistols. Congrats and enjoy!

Tzed250
12-08-13, 06:08
I still want a P99AS!! I tried to find one during the panic, but no dice. It is the bigger brother to my PPS. One day...

ShipWreck
12-08-13, 09:07
I may even break down and get the slide refinished one day - to match the one I used to have. I'll just have to wait and see...

Back in the day, I had the slides of many of my polymer handguns hard chromed. This time, I think I might try NP3 or NP3 plus if I do it.

But, here is a pic of what one of them (that I used to have) looked like.

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/cf14fbba68e2b8709cf5c4092a52fb08.jpg

NCPatrolAR
12-08-13, 10:46
The SW99 really soured me against the 99 series

ShipWreck
12-08-13, 11:49
The SW99 really soured me against the 99 series

I had one years ago - I think in 2005.... Back at the time, finding a Walther P99 was a tough deal to do. The SW99 I had worked 100%. The Walther I got later was a tiny bit more accurate. But otherwise, I had no issues with the gun

NCPatrolAR
12-08-13, 12:10
I've sales us heard the Walther products were much better than the SW, but the sheer number of problems we had has caused me to have reservations about using any of the 99s regardless of whose label is on them

MistWolf
12-08-13, 22:19
The P99 is a nice handgun- almost as nice as a PPQ :D

Just one little nit to pick. The PPQ trigger isn't like the Glock trigger. With the Glock trigger, the striker is only mostly cocked. Pressing the trigger pulls the striker back that last little bit before releasing it. The the striker of the PPQ is fully cocked and the trigger is a straight up single action.

What was gained by chroming the slide? A more durable finish or or because you liked better how it looked?

ShipWreck
12-09-13, 06:31
I just liked the two tone look. To me, it makes the P99 look much better. I've previously had the slides on a SW99, P9, P99c and Hk USPc 9mm hard chromed over the years. Makes them pretty well holster wear proof if using a leather holster as well.

As for the trigger - it still is a light pull, which is the same on every shot... Similar to an XD, M&P, Glock, etc. That is what I meant. and, I still mean that I prefer DA/SA to that.

I did get to go to the range with it yesterday.... Ran 100%. Very accurate. No issues with that. Gun ran fine. Like I remember it from my previous P99s.

I will say that I still like my 92FS's more - in that the 1st DA shot is easier for me to hit near the center with. It's a smoother DA pull (with a D spring installed in the Beretta). I tend to pull the gun down on that first shot with the P99 in DA. I do it less with the P99 when 1 handed shooting than when I shoot that first shot 2 handed. I don't have that issue with the Beretta.

But, as I still have five 92FS's, all set up exactly the same... Nothing says I can't have a different gun. It is a nice gun :)

I will say that I was impressed with the 2nd shot on doubletaps. worked very well

ShipWreck
12-12-13, 15:11
I will say that since Sunday, I have put some more rounds thru the gun on a second range trip. I "uglied" the gun up by putting a piece of bicycle inner tube on it :) . Hugely makes a difference in the grip. I usually do this with all polymer framed handguns I have. I only like guns with rubber grips usually.

I have tried all the slip on grips, and most are either too thick, or have finger grooves and/or palm swells. The innertube piece is very thin, and works well. It just ain't pretty.

Between that and using a bit more finger on the trigger when shooting in DA, I am no longer pulling the gun down on that first DA shot.

I practiced a lot of DA shots, one handed DA shots, one handed SA shots, and just regular shooting at 7 and 15 yards. Gun is starting to grow on me again.

ShipWreck
12-22-13, 13:41
Better photo (don't mind the ugly rubber grip that works so well)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/P99-10000_zps8948bd2e.jpg~original

And, my new PPQ I got in yesterday!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/PPQ-2_zpscbda5f68.jpg~original

Hayuya
12-22-13, 15:41
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/7upe5a6u.jpg
I Really like my PPQ and hardchromed P99c!

ShipWreck
12-23-13, 08:21
Cool. If Tripp Research still did hard chrome, I'd probably send my P99 slide in.

As it is, I think I am gonna give cera plating a try with CCR refinish. It is very similar to NP3.

Hayuya
12-23-13, 09:45
I wish they did too. Their work is excellent.

ShipWreck
12-23-13, 11:43
Hey - you are in Houston. I sold a hard chromed P99 compact a few years back to someone in Houston. Did you buy that gun used and meet at an Ikea parking lot? :p

Hayuya
12-23-13, 13:22
Yes, that was me! I still have it and not getting rid of it!

It was 4 years ago!

ShipWreck
12-23-13, 14:18
Cool. It has been a while.

I am liking my M&P Shield right now (or a subcompact gun).

I did have a fullsize one that was hard chromed just like it. I kinda miss that one.

Hayuya
12-23-13, 14:24
I remember, but found out you had it for sale too late! I wanted to kept the set together!

ShipWreck
12-23-13, 15:09
The guy I sold the fullsize P99 to bought a couple other guns from me over the years. He offered it back to me a few times in trade each time. He claimed he never shot it once and just put it in the safe for collecting...

I finally decided I wanted it back, and emailed him a couple months back.... He agreed to do a trade with me for a Beretta 92..., but he was on a business trip. He promised to get back to me the following week when he got home. He never did get back to me, though... I emailed him a couple more times, but never heard back. So, I finally gave up and bought a new P99 A/S last month.

So, I ALMOST got that gun back.

Hayuya
12-23-13, 15:43
Bummer, maybe you'll get it later in the future!
I'm still looking for a FS P99AS to complete the collection.

ShipWreck
12-23-13, 17:50
Good luck finding what ya want.

I'll likely just send the slide off on the one I have now. Get it finished in a similar color...