PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield recoil spring--possible problem

Redhat
12-08-13, 15:31
Hi all,

I just picked up a new 9mm Shield. Haven't fired it yet but last night while disassembling it, I ran into a problem. When I went to assemble the gun, the slide assembly would not go all the way on to the receiver. I could not move the slide rearward enough to engage the slide stop. I checked manual again to make sure I was doing it correctly then after looking it over a bit and seeing nothing obvious, I began the process of elimination. When I removed the recoil spring assy, it went on fine...put the recoil spring back in and it would stop short again. The only thing I noticed with the spring was it looked like it was a bit wide and protruded outside the rear retainer. I also checked several times to make sure I had it installed correctly under the barrel. After messing with it for about 30 minutes, and rotating the recoil spring around it finally went together.

Anyone else experience this?

Scrubber3
12-08-13, 15:55
I experienced it on the 9mm shield I had for about a year and just recently traded. It happened when it was new, but just as you messed around with it and it started acting right I did the same with mine. After cycling it and shooting it a bit, I no longer had a problem with it anymore. The only thing I had an issue with was the front sight dot popping off while shooting it. Quickly rectified with fluorescent nail polish....

Just work the slide and don't forget to put the little yellow arm where it needs to go and it'll get better.

Redhat
12-08-13, 16:06
I experienced it on the 9mm shield I had for about a year and just recently traded. It happened when it was new, but just as you messed around with it and it started acting right I did the same with mine. After cycling it and shooting it a bit, I no longer had a problem with it anymore. The only thing I had an issue with was the front sight dot popping off while shooting it. Quickly rectified with fluorescent nail polish....

Just work the slide and don't forget to put the little yellow arm where it needs to go and it'll get better.

Thanks,

Not something I had heard about previously...the dot I have. That really makes no difference to me. If the gun works the sights will be replaced.

Redhat
12-10-13, 14:37
Okay...Took the pistol out today and ran 100 rds of 115 gr ball through it with no stoppages or malfunctions.

Looks like we're off to a good start.

SpankMonkey
12-10-13, 15:19
Same problem here when it was new. Just make sure and push it down all the way before sliding it back on. The back of the guide rod would slip up away from the barrel just a tad bit and hang up the reassembly.

Redhat
12-10-13, 16:12
Same problem here when it was new. Just make sure and push it down all the way before sliding it back on. The back of the guide rod would slip up away from the barrel just a tad bit and hang up the reassembly.

I can see that happening as it doesn't have a substantial notch to fit into.

Scrubber3
12-10-13, 17:06
Okay...Took the pistol out today and ran 100 rds of 115 gr ball through it with no stoppages or malfunctions.

Looks like we're off to a good start.

Cool deal man. How'd you like it?

Redhat
12-10-13, 20:50
Cool deal man. How'd you like it?

I found it a better fit than the Kahr CW9 I traded for it. Accuracy wise I was able to keep most of 100 rds in the bullseye of a B8 target at 5-10 yds. i only ran a couple of cadence drills as this outing was mostly to check function and see if the gun would fit my hand well. So far I like it but I also plan to add a Talon grip and then the sights will have to be upgraded to night sights. I'll be truly impressed when I get at least 500 rds through it without a stoppage or malfunction.

Scrubber3
12-10-13, 21:12
I found it a better fit than the Kahr CW9 I traded for it. Accuracy wise I was able to keep most of 100 rds in the bullseye of a B8 target at 5-10 yds. i only ran a couple of cadence drills as this outing was mostly to check function and see if the gun would fit my hand well. So far I like it but I also plan to add a Talon grip and then the sights will have to be upgraded to night sights. I'll be truly impressed when I get at least 500 rds through it without a stoppage or malfunction.

The shield is hands down better than a CW9. I ran about 400 rds without any problems in mine. I fed it some critical duty +p 135 gr and it did well with them. A bit snappier, but it handled them nonetheless. I ran some garbage Georgia arms 115 gr and it cycled those well too. WWW wasn't a problem and I even put some Tula and wolf down range with it problem free. I carried some critical defense mostly and of course it shot those no problem. Only reason I traded it was because the shop had an unfired 2008 built glock 26 with 3 magazines that was willing to do nearly an even swap. Since I've got a 19 and the build date was prime, I didn't hesitate.

Redhat
12-10-13, 21:27
The shield is hands down better than a CW9. I ran about 400 rds without any problems in mine. I fed it some critical duty +p 135 gr and it did well with them. A bit snappier, but it handled them nonetheless. I ran some garbage Georgia arms 115 gr and it cycled those well too. WWW wasn't a problem and I even put some Tula and wolf down range with it problem free. I carried some critical defense mostly and of course it shot those no problem. Only reason I traded it was because the shop had an unfired 2008 built glock 26 with 3 magazines that was willing to do nearly an even swap. Since I've got a 19 and the build date was prime, I didn't hesitate.

I won't put down the CW9 I had. I bought it used and put 200 rds through it without issue. It was just that the size combined with the trigger design made it too small for me. For the same reasons, the Shield is more shootable for me and it's trigger is similar enough to other guns I shoot (G19, 1911) that it doesn't require me to re-train my finger too much.

MrSmitty
12-12-13, 19:43
I can see that happening as it doesn't have a substantial notch to fit into.

This ^

It definitely doesn't have the notch that the other M&Ps have. I haven't had any issues with mine though, I just make sure the base of the spring is tight against the barrel when I reassemble.

MegademiC
12-14-13, 16:06
I've had this happen, once you get used to it and shoot it, more it doesn't happen anymore. U just have to be careful when putting it together, not to hit the spring on the sides, it's like playing "Operation".