PDA

View Full Version : Glock Update: Discontinuation of Models

El Cid
12-10-13, 22:12
I took the Glock Armorer's course today. Some interesting information was presented (no - they wouldn't comment on anything new).

Basically, this is the last month for compensated, "C" model Glocks. It's also the last month for the traditional G20/21. They will keep making gen 4's and the Short Frame (SF) models. But if you want a factory compensated Glock, or the original size gen3 Glock 20 or 21, don't hesitate.

They didn't mention the G29/30 and none of us thought to ask.

Anthony.L
12-10-13, 22:15

Do you mean the semi-announced G41/42?

The "C" model discontinuation has been common knowledge since beginning of last summer. I actually thought it was already in affect. Now to see if those "C" models become collectors like the first OD frames.

El Cid
12-10-13, 22:17
Do you mean the semi-announced G41/42?

The "C" model discontinuation has been common knowledge since beginning of last summer. I actually thought it was already in affect. Now to see if those "C" models become collectors like the first OD frames.

No, the rumored 41/42 was what they wouldn't discuss. By 29/30, I meant that we didn't ask if the SF would be the only gen 3 versions (like their big brothers).

Anthony.L
12-10-13, 22:18
No, the rumored 41/42 was what they wouldn't discuss. By 29/30, I meant that we didn't ask if the SF would be the only gen 3 versions (like their big brothers).

Gotcha.

ST911
12-10-13, 22:28
It's also the last month for the traditional G20/21. They will keep making gen 4's and the Short Frame (SF) models. But if you want a factory compensated Glock, or the original size gen3 Glock 20 or 21, don't hesitate.

Prophecy, from Sept 2008: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?19704-Popularity-Glock-21-vs-Glock-21SF

I've heard some folks say that, given the evident popularity of the "SF" variant over the standard G-21, Glock may discontinue production of the 21 in favor of the SF entirely.

Pretty much just speculation, but from everyone I've talked to it seems the SF is the preferred option. Think there's any chance of all SF at some future point?

If it's not already official, I predict the standard 29/30 will be d/c as well in favor of the SF.

Wiggity
12-11-13, 20:38
Nice. I have a 2005 traditional G20.

Discontinued + tennifer = $$$

JonInWA
12-12-13, 08:15
My traditional Gen 3 G21 is going nowhere-it's a superb gun, with a flawless history of performance. It's used for carry, IDPA, and GSSF. And, with the right holster and semi-judicious clothing choices, it's simply not that difficult to conceal.

Not that the Gen4 G21 is a bad thing...if I was in the market today, it's the one I'd get.

Best, Jon

theblackknight
12-12-13, 10:10
They will keep making gen 4's and the Short Frame (SF) models.

This sentence is interesting because it almost makes it sound like the G4's are a limited/trial period gun, when really, the gen 3's days are numbered with gen4's being the permanant replacement obviously.

Most people can't handle a .45 Glock that well. The size of the G21 grip made this worse.

JonInWA
12-12-13, 10:44
Well, your hands certainly are displaced differently on a large-frame Glock, compared to other Glocks/guns-but whether actual index and handling is adversely affected is more of an individual, as opposed to a general thing. Obviously, an individual with short fingers/small hands has a greater potential for incompatibility with a large-frame Glock, but Glock's reletively short/set-back trigger is often a great amoreliating factor.

I personally have medium-sized hands, but index (and shoot effectively) with my G17, G19, G34....and G21. While at first blush the small and standard size frames feel more natural, the large frames work quite well for me. When I checked my logbook, last year I actually shot my G21 more than all the others combined.

Best, Jon

El Cid
12-12-13, 12:31
This sentence is interesting because it almost makes it sound like the G4's are a limited/trial period gun, when really, the gen 3's days are numbered with gen4's being the permanant replacement obviously.

Most people can't handle a .45 Glock that well. The size of the G21 grip made this worse.

That wording is attributable to me - not anyone from Glock. I was para-phrasing them. Basically, there are no changes coming to the Gen 4 guns. The only new was that the only Gen 3 G20/21 made after this month will be the SF version. And of course that they will no longer produce comped guns.

Psalms144.1
12-12-13, 13:30
This sentence is interesting because it almost makes it sound like the G4's are a limited/trial period gun, when really, the gen 3's days are numbered with gen4's being the permanant replacement obviously.My last official contact with Smyrna was a while ago (close to a year), but there were NO plans on discontinuing the 9/40/357 framed 3rd Gen guns back then. This might have changed since Glock has been focusing nearly all their "fix" attentions on the problematic Gen4 9mms - if those are finally starting to work the way they should, probably easier for them to just crank out one frame style. Also, with the advent of the Gen4 "beavertails" people who desperately love the 3rd Gen grip profile can still have it on a Gen4 pistol...

Regards,

Kevin

Salamander
12-13-13, 00:17

Discontinuing the Gen 3 guns would mean completely walking away from the California market (except for LE and SSE sales), since Gen 4 is not on the DOJ approved list and with the microstamping law recently taking effect, there won't be anything added anytime soon. That's a lot of sales to walk away from, and it's got to factor into whatever they ultimately decide.

From wikipedia:

"California is the most populous sub-national entity in North America. If it were an independent country, California would rank 34th in population in the world. It has a larger population than all of Canada.[2] Its population is one third larger than that of the next largest state, Texas."

It would also mean effectively ceding the California market for mass-market service pistols to S&W, which got a number of newer models on the roster in time.

Any questions on why they're still building Gen 3's?

theblackknight
12-13-13, 08:33
I highly doubt the Glock will continue to make gen3's for the distant future solely because the country of Kalifornia has because the land that time forgot as far as firearms is concerned. It will be like Cuba and everyone driving '57 Chevy's.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Salamander
12-13-13, 11:18
I highly doubt the Glock will continue to make gen3's for the distant future solely because the country of Kalifornia has because the land that time forgot as far as firearms is concerned. It will be like Cuba and everyone driving '57 Chevy's.

It would almost certainly help the ongoing litigation against DOJ if a major firearms manufacturer stopped selling in California. And it wouldn't affect me, because I don't own any Glock's newer than Gen 2, and wouldn't take a chance on a new one at present.

But then major gun manufacturers don't normally make decisions on the basis of emotion or politics.... it's all about the $$$$.

NWPilgrim
12-13-13, 13:57

Great analogy! Perhaps gun owners should start driving around in '57 Chevys to drive home the point, with "Free California!" stickers of course.

Jim D
12-14-13, 22:18
The large frame non SF guns are going away, not the rest of the Gen3's. They were dead items and Glock needs to be able to fill orders for more popular items.