PDA

View Full Version : Can you install a Short Reset Trigger in a Single Action Only SIG gun?

Magic_Salad0892
12-15-13, 18:04
Also, do they make an SAO P229? Would there be a way to build one?

policetested
12-15-13, 21:16
to the best of my knowledge Sig only manufactures a P226SAO...I have not seen any releases to my work email regarding any new SAOs from their PR company. The SRT is designed for sa/da...its standard on many of their pistols.

dwhitehorne
12-16-13, 18:07
I'm in the Sig "P" series armorer class today and tomorrow. The thought I heard the instructor said they do offer the 229 in SAO. I will double check tomorrow. David

Magic_Salad0892
12-17-13, 23:05
I'm in the Sig "P" series armorer class today and tomorrow. The thought I heard the instructor said they do offer the 229 in SAO. I will double check tomorrow. David

Thanks, bro.

And thanks for the answer regarding the SRT, policetested.

Surf
12-17-13, 23:22
SA only has pretty much become the norm in Exeter.

NCPatrolAR
12-18-13, 07:07
Has the 220 SAO been discontinued?

dwhitehorne
12-18-13, 07:11
Instructor said the SAO was available in 220, 226 and 229. The Armorer manual I was given list SAO on the 229 page. I don't have a model number though. David

RHINOWSO
12-18-13, 08:07
From my observation, SAO is only offered for the P220, X-5/6 series, and recently the P226. I haven't seen a SAO P229 yet, but they could be coming.

And SAO & SRT are mutually exclusive. IME the P220 SAO reset was pretty much equivalent to a P220 DA/SA with SRT but it's been awhile since I oned a P220 SAO.

YMMV.

Talon167
12-18-13, 10:48
I am also not aware of a 229 SAO. But, seems like Sig is adding new stuff to their lineup (even if that means just making it a different color) every other week, and their website can be a little bit behind. Maybe check their FB page, or I am sure if you called they'd be able to tell you if and when something would be available. I don't see why they wouldn't, eventually. The frames are the same, right?

Xsail
12-18-13, 11:49
Can I ask a stupid question? I've only shot the sa/da's, own several and love them. I can see dao's being a useful option in certain circumstances. Why would anyone want a sao?....O.L.

Surf
12-18-13, 13:27
Can I ask a stupid question? I've only shot the sa/da's, own several and love them. I can see dao's being a useful option in certain circumstances. Why would anyone want a sao?....O.L.Not really a stupid question but think of this....

Since the topic was around the Sig I will use that particular DA/SA trigger as a reference. Do you like the double action pull of the DA/SA trigger, or do you prefer the following single action pulls? Most shooters tend to prefer the lighter single action pull which follows the initial heavy double action pull. So in the SAO pistols, every shot is that similar lighter action pull every time. On a side note, if anyone ever has the chance to see what the guys at Sig are running, particularly the training side of the house, you will note an overwhelming number of SAO pistols. They also tend to have trigger work done to them also. My buddy provided his X5 to a "Sr instructor" at Sig so that he could shoot the X5 with the SAO. It was his first time shooting it. His first comment was, "well this trigger could use some work". Which followed by us shooting his personal P226 with a not so stock SAO. It shamed the stock X5 trigger.

Magic_Salad0892
12-18-13, 18:38
Can I ask a stupid question? I've only shot the sa/da's, own several and love them. I can see dao's being a useful option in certain circumstances. Why would anyone want a sao?....O.L.

I'm carrying a 1911 handgun right now. And I'm thinking of changing over from Glocks to SIG pistols, if they have a suitable SAO gun.

This thread turned out pretty well actually.

If they'd just make a steel framed SAO P229, I'd shove my money at them.

Magic_Salad0892
12-18-13, 18:39
Thanks for the words, Surf. Your name really should be yellow.

dwhitehorne
12-19-13, 05:19
Here is the P229 page from the armorers manual. This is the only reference I've ever seen to a 229 SAO. David

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/P229.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/dwhitehorne/media/P229.jpg.html)

RHINOWSO
12-19-13, 07:03
That could either be a typo or possibly something in the works at SIG.

For the longest time SAO was only available on P220/P220 "Carry" models, with a short run of P220 "Compacts" in stainless being released in SAO. There were of course the X-5/6 models, but those are more of competition.

From what I was told the Texas DPS did a special buy and wanted P226 / 357 SIG / SAO. There was some back and forth about that being possible, but eventually SIG relented and produced them on X-5 frames. This eventually, over time led to the P226 SAO being commercially available.

A P229 SAO may in fact be in the works, SIG seems to have gone into model overdrive in recent years.

Xsail
12-19-13, 11:58
Thanks guys, I'll just cock the hammer when I want the nice trigger, SAO by choice! :) Looking at it from an SD standpoint....O.L.

Surf
12-19-13, 21:37
Thanks for the words, Surf. Your name really should be yellow.I appreciate the comment. I don't do much online these days and there are only a couple of forums I still visit. I still enjoy this forum as its membership in general is more mature in nature, tend to be more informed or have a strong desire to become more informed and seem to exhibit more of a personal commitment to the topics that this forum is based around. I also really do like the moderators, IP's and SME's that post here which also gives me the desire to continue taking the time share information in more detail than I might don't tend to do elsewhere. There are some sites that might have a few good people here and there, but the overwhelming number of idiots make it a huge waste of time. But then again you probably already know that. ;)

Magic_Salad0892
12-20-13, 00:18
I appreciate the comment. I don't do much online these days and there are only a couple of forums I still visit. I still enjoy this forum as its membership in general is more mature in nature, tend to be more informed or have a strong desire to become more informed and seem to exhibit more of a personal commitment to the topics that this forum is based around. I also really do like the moderators, IP's and SME's that post here which also gives me the desire to continue taking the time share information in more detail than I might don't tend to do elsewhere. There are some sites that might have a few good people here and there, but the overwhelming number of idiots make it a huge waste of time. But then again you probably already know that. ;)

I do. I don't have a membership there because of all the retardation, but the General Discussion on AR15.com is hilarious.

TiroFijo
12-20-13, 06:16
Not really a stupid question but think of this....

Since the topic was around the Sig I will use that particular DA/SA trigger as a reference. Do you like the double action pull of the DA/SA trigger, or do you prefer the following single action pulls? Most shooters tend to prefer the lighter single action pull which follows the initial heavy double action pull. So in the SAO pistols, every shot is that similar lighter action pull every time. On a side note, if anyone ever has the chance to see what the guys at Sig are running, particularly the training side of the house, you will note an overwhelming number of SAO pistols. They also tend to have trigger work done to them also. My buddy provided his X5 to a "Sr instructor" at Sig so that he could shoot the X5 with the SAO. It was his first time shooting it. His first comment was, "well this trigger could use some work". Which followed by us shooting his personal P226 with a not so stock SAO. It shamed the stock X5 trigger.

Thanks Surf, VERY interesting :)

Do instructurs had the P226 SAO with aluminum frames, or some kind of X5 (stainless steel) variation?
I would guess the instructor pistols intended for service did not had adjustable triggers? What about adjustable sights?
Were they in 40 or 9 mm?
Do they ever had problem with the slide release so close to the thumb safety? Do they shoot thumb over the safety like the 1911, or thumb down?
And last, do you have a picture of any of these instructor SAO pistols?

ra2bach
12-20-13, 11:13
sorry. misread the question. nevermind...

Surf
12-20-13, 18:00
Thanks Surf, VERY interesting :)

Do instructurs had the P226 SAO with aluminum frames, or some kind of X5 (stainless steel) variation?
I would guess the instructor pistols intended for service did not had adjustable triggers? What about adjustable sights?
Were they in 40 or 9 mm?
Do they ever had problem with the slide release so close to the thumb safety? Do they shoot thumb over the safety like the 1911, or thumb down?
And last, do you have a picture of any of these instructor SAO pistols?Adam P. and Steven G. run the Elite P226 SAO in 9mm as does most of the staff. They are pretty much the stock pistol and sigpro sights however the triggers get in house trigger work performed. Much more effective on the SAO triggers as opposed to the DA/SA triggers. I don't recall noting issues with them releasing the slide however I will note that I honestly did not see any instructors doing a lot of shooting. I will also mention that I ran the X5 Tactical quite a bit and as a right hander I utilize the primary shooting hands thumb to release the slide with the stop and with the X5 I was very hit or miss on hitting the slide stop to release the slide. I actually reverted to using the slide stop with my support hand thumb as I do with a 1911. As far as I know anyone who runs an SAO that has an aggressive thumbs forward or modern combat grip runs the thumb over the safety like a 1911. However there are those who have altered their grip as a default with the primary hands thumb rolled outbound, which I normally do, however with a thumb safety I don't tend to roll that thumb out as it is indexed on the safety to start with. I don't have any pictures sorry.