PDA

View Full Version : EDC carry M&P shield or glock 26

terry40cal
12-15-13, 20:40
Help me out guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ST911
12-15-13, 20:46
You are likely to get more and better answers to your question if you provide more information. You mention that these guns are for EDC. What does that mean to you? How long a duration? In what environments? How would you like to carry it? Your previous experience with CCW? Do you own a Shield or G26 already? What's your experience with each? What's your shooting experience, training, and ability like overall?

Also, if you browse the handgun subforum there are several threads that discuss the Shield and G26 in great detail and compare the two. You will find them informative.

terry40cal
12-15-13, 20:52
I've own a glock 19 17 30sf 22 I have train a lot with all these firearms and M&P 9 full size i would be caring the shield or glock 26 around 3 OClock position on my hip never shot a 26 or a shield heard great reviews on the shield I will be caring winter and summer months etc!!!!

gunnut284
12-15-13, 22:25
I have both and never carry to Shield. Yes, it's partially because I haven't shot the Shield enough to be 100% confident in it but mostly because I haven't found situations where the size difference mattered. The Shield is very shoot able for its size but the 26 is even more so. I do like M&Ps but would probably prefer the Compact over the Shield.

Obviously what you wear, your body shape and the degree of importance you put on other factors come into play so your experience may be different than mine.

tw4
12-15-13, 23:22
Glock 26- all day every day -12rd mag , g17 trigger bar, extended slide release, extended and dremilled down a tad mag release, 3.5 disconnector, glock factory metal rear sight, FIST ultra thin iwb kydex holster. and ameriglo square yellow illumin with tritium front sight.

fivestar51
12-16-13, 03:42
I have both, and carry the Shield now 100% of the time. I like the G26, and I can shoot it very well, as most people can. For me, though, its too "blocky" and its not as easy to hide. My firearm resides in an MTAC holster and pants one size too big, so its not like Im wearing wrong clothes to begin with. The slimness of the Shield makes it simply disappear. While Im not as proficient with the Shield, I shoot it just fine. Last year I noticed myself not carrying my G26 as much as I should, so I decided to try a Shield. I now carry it everywhere, every time, as its so much more comfortable.

As I said however, this is just my opinion, and everyone has a different idea on what works for them.

86 slo-vo
12-16-13, 05:18
I carry a shield 90% of the time, works well for me as I have to stay concealed at work doing construction. Not an easy task but the shield works for me.

walkin' trails
12-16-13, 06:08
I have a 26 and have not shot the Shield. I carry the 26 as either back-up to my M&P 9 or off-the-clock. The 26 has been around a while and it's pros and cons are pretty well noted. There is a lot of good concealment gear for the package and magazines are generally available. The Shield is relatively new and still seems to be cutting it's teeth. On the plus side, S&W marketed the gun with cooperation from holsrer, sight, and accessory manufacturers so gunleather was more or less immediately available. One of the Shield's problems, as I have read, has been that like all the other micro guns (Kahr, Ruger, etc), it actually requires several hundred rounds to break it in. Not as much a problem as lack of understanding on the part if the consumer. Anyway, the decision is ultimately up to you based in what you do on a daily basis and what you feel is the reason for carrying a pistol.

mdrums
12-16-13, 23:19
I had a G27...40cal version of the G26. Great guns but very thick and uncomfortable for IWB conceal to me. So I sold it and got a Shield. I've been very happy with it over the year I've owned it. The Shield is thin and for me that makes it much more comfortable in the holster at my 4:00 position to carry.
The Shield is also a great shooting gun.

terry40cal
12-16-13, 23:24
I keep hearing that from a lot of reviews don't get me wrong I love my glocks now but something about that shield is telling just bite the bullet and buy it what kind of holster for IWB to get if anybody can recommend any good brand for thanks everybody for your advice happy holidays and god blessed you all!!!!

J_B
12-17-13, 00:57
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd lean more towards the 26 but that's just me.

Owned and carried a Shield 9mm for a few months.

Sold it and went back to carrying my Glock 19 or 36.

There really was nothing wrong with the Shield. I put about 500 rounds through it. It worked. It was nice to shoot.

Just wasn't for me.

Pick a manufacturer for you IWB. Raven, Off The Grid, PerSec, Darkstar.

I carry AIWB so I use either an Off The Grid mki or Raven VG2.

Vendetta
12-17-13, 08:21
What are you hoping to gain with a Shield that you can't already do with your Glocks? I'd say go with the 26 since you seem to own a few Glocks and are familiar with them. You can also run your G19 mags with your G26 for reloads and such. Depending on what is going on at work, I run a G17 or G26 depending on clothing. Either way, I carry spare G17 mags with + extensions.

Voodoo_Man
12-17-13, 08:27
I have a G26 in a Raven Vanguard 2 I carried most of the summer.

http://i.imgur.com/YF3hT.jpg

It is pretty much invisible and super comfortable.

Slvr Surfr
12-17-13, 08:33
Shield here. More comfortable for me during appendix carry. G26 is too thick for my tastes. I carry a spare mag to make up for ammo shortage. I shoot the shield better. I removed the thumb safety as well. YMMV.

civiliansheepdog
12-17-13, 09:47
I'm in the same boat. I have a 19 as my EDC currently, however I find myself not wearing it enough due to my fatass and its thickness. So, I tend to be leaning toward the Shield from a comfort standpoint, but want to utilize my 19's mags and stick with the 'Glock' feel. IMHO, the Shield would be in serious trouble if Glock would simply make a single stack 9mm. Yes, it might hurt the 26 market, but overall increase sales for Glock.

ST911
12-17-13, 10:27
What are you hoping to gain with a Shield that you can't already do with your Glocks? I'd say go with the 26 since you seem to own a few Glocks and are familiar with them. You can also run your G19 mags with your G26 for reloads and such. Depending on what is going on at work, I run a G17 or G26 depending on clothing. Either way, I carry spare G17 mags with + extensions.

In the matter of reloads, I've found the Shield has an edge over the G26.

With the G26, I have to shift my grip to allow the magazine to drop from the frame, leave it shifted for insertion of the new mag, and then restore my grip as I move back to target. This occurs even with the extended mags. This adds time, distraction, and affects results.

There is just enough added grip length with the Shield to allow my hand to remain in position for magazine release and insertion, though sometimes with a pinch if using the 7rd mag or the 8rd mag with the added sleeve.

For these reasons and others, I don't care for mag extensions or sleeves that become part of the grip.

These observations aren't unique to the G26 and Shield, just on point for this thread.

tonyxcom
12-17-13, 18:39
I switched from G26/G19 to Shield9/G19. In my county here in CA, I am only allowed two handguns on my permit. The Shield carries (IWB) substantially "smaller" than the Glocks for me so I reasoned there isn't any difference between carrying a G26 over the G19, so why bother with the G26 at all.

I shoot the Shield nearly as good as the 26. But the 26 was magnitudes easier on the draw with the GAP floor plates though and I miss that the most.

Darkwood1
12-17-13, 19:26
I've shot both the G-26 and the Shield in 9mm. That being said, I prefer to carry a full size gun if possible but when I need something more compact, I carry the Shield IWB with the 8 rd. mag as a reload. The shield is very flat (concealable and comfortable) and shoots well. My full size is either an M&P 9 or M&P 45 so the Shield has the same "manual of arms", something that is important to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QV_OPFUCdc

RWH24
12-18-13, 22:19
I have never owned a Glock but have shot friends pistols. Since they do not feel comfortable in my hand, grip angle, I have Sigs and M&P's. I carry a Shield 9mm in a DeSantis mini scabbard @3:30 over a belt loop. With jacket weather I will carry an M&P FS in a G-Code OSH standard paddle. I wear a tall fleece vest, tall length fleece jacket or parka length rain coat.
I am getting better at this 2 finger grip on the Shield and the short magazine.

t1tan
12-19-13, 00:37
I looked at the Shield and 26 last year, ended up with a PPS and couldn't be happier(except for lack of better sights, but have a 10-8 front on the way). Glock was too thick to be comfortable IWB and the Walther felt better in hand vs the Shield, great accuracy, nice light feel during recoil and comfortable to wear. No external safety was a plus as well.

Grip
12-19-13, 06:58
The m&p 9c is also an option.

fourXfour
12-19-13, 12:25
I love both. I am a big fan of the Shield, but I ended up going with a Glock 19/26 combo.

The rear sight of the shield was pretty sharp and irritated me. I didn't feel like trying different sights. The shield in an IWB holster felt about the same as the G19 in a Vanguard 2.

I just picked up a gen4 Glock 26 and I will start testing it out.

ST911
12-19-13, 13:34
On the subject of G26 and Shield comparisons, check these results from 10rd bullseyes at 25yds fired in the last few days. Standing offhand.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/SW%20MP%20Shield%209mm/IMG_0257.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/SW%20MP%20Shield%209mm/IMG_0258.jpg

GTM
12-20-13, 09:06
The shield in an IWB holster felt about the same as the G19 in a Vanguard 2.

This right here. Instead of a Shield, I have a PPS. However, it seems that a G26/G19 in a VG2 is less noticeable on the belt-line than even a well designed, thin, kydex holster. It seems that the mass/volume added by the kydex, even on pistols as thin as the Shield/PPS, is more noticeable than the thicker Glock in a VG2....I keep coming back to my VG2 and Glocks. For reference, 5'10" 175 pounds, 32-inch waist.

wayne1one
12-20-13, 17:03
Got a video review coming that might be relevant. but for now, this!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5503/11411533646_fdbd63a1e5_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/98338002@N04/11411533646/)
IMG_4877 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/98338002@N04/11411533646/) by 556 Channel (HD) (http://www.flickr.com/people/98338002@N04/), on Flickr

Salamander
12-20-13, 19:07
For me, none of the above.

I had a G26 for a couple years and sold it because of recurring FTE/BTF. Even if I'd been able to easily fix that, I wasn't happy with the gun, I found the short grip to be hard to hang onto in the rain (and it rains all winter here). If I was going to carry a Glock it would be an older G19, not much harder to hide than a G26 and a lot easier to hang onto.

As a RSO I've seen too many problems with Shields to be willing to trust them yet. S&W does have a history of gradually addressing and fixing issues, so maybe that will change over time. But I have not yet personally fired one, just cleared one that a newbie at our range experienced FTE's with.

The only subcompact that I'm personally happy with is the HK P2000sk.

Cwalker
12-20-13, 19:21
I carry either one depending on what I'm wearing and were I'm going. The shield conceals better so if I'm at work (equals tucked in shirt) and it's not cool enough to wear a vest then I've got the shield. If the climate calls for a vest or I'm out and about with shirt untucked then I have the g26 for the extra couple rounds and I shoot it a little better.