PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on AIWB

scoutchris
12-20-13, 17:35
I was watching a video today on cory07ink's youtube channel, and he was talking about AIWB and how superior it is for conceal-ability, and two handed manipulation. He mentioned in his video that, "A lot of people are terrified of AIWB, they don't want to point the weapon at their junk..." I thought to myself, isn't that one of the four fundamentals of weapons safety? Don't point the weapon at anything you aren't comfortable destroying...?

I think this whole trend of rear sights that you can charge, AIWB for drawing with your weak hand, etc... is getting a little overboard, to the point where we are ignoring the fundamentals and concerning ourselves with manipulating the weapons through malfunctions drills after you have been shot in your support hand or are carrying a baby or whatever other excuse people use to justify that stuff. While those scenarios are a possibility, they are probably LESS of a possibility than someone building a bomb out of more than 3.4 ounces of water and bringing it on a plane. Laws made for crazy people aren't effective- that's a fact, and to me pointing my weapon at my dick every time I re-holster on the off chance that I might be shot or carrying a baby in the middle of a gunfight that I am trying to stay in makes about as much sense....

There are some merits, but I don't think they outweigh the negatives. Maybe I'm the only guy thinking it, which is why I put it out there...

Before it gets sidetracked, I don't care for the guy at all, I just have no experience with light bearing holsters and I remember that he has a light taped to his light, and has a million holsters for everything. (I just bought a X300U for my 19)

Cwalker
12-20-13, 19:07
I carry AIWB and It works well for me. I don't haphazardly holster my pistol so I'm not concerned with a negligent discharge. In fact, I like having the option to look where the gun is going. I don't really understand the, "you'll shoot your dick off kid" line of thinking, but I barely pass the zipper on a good day so I could be out of touch.

scoutchris
12-20-13, 19:48
I carry AIWB and It works well for me. I don't haphazardly holster my pistol so I'm not concerned with a negligent discharge. In fact, I like having the option to look where the gun is going. I don't really understand the, "you'll shoot your dick off kid" line of thinking, but I barely pass the zipper on a good day so I could be out of touch.

Just because you keep your finger off the trigger doesn't mean you're not totally violating the basic rules of firearm safety... I mean, there's a reason it's taught to every new shooter...and I'm not sure if your old holster was in between your shoulder blades, but I can always see my holster. I'm not concerned with negligent discharges either, but I don't go around flagging people.

I'm right there with you on the small dick thing, though. That's why I'm into guns and talking trash on the internet.

Grizzly16
12-20-13, 19:52
I was watching a video today on cory07ink's youtube channel, and he was talking about AIWB and how superior it is for conceal-ability, and two handed manipulation. He mentioned in his video that, "A lot of people are terrified of AIWB, they don't want to point the weapon at their junk..." I thought to myself, isn't that one of the four fundamentals of weapons safety? Don't point the weapon at anything you aren't comfortable destroying...?

I think this whole trend of rear sights that you can charge, AIWB for drawing with your weak hand, etc... is getting a little overboard, to the point where we are ignoring the fundamentals and concerning ourselves with manipulating the weapons through malfunctions drills after you have been shot in your support hand or are carrying a baby or whatever other excuse people use to justify that stuff. While those scenarios are a possibility, they are probably LESS of a possibility than someone building a bomb out of more than 3.4 ounces of water and bringing it on a plane. Laws made for crazy people aren't effective- that's a fact, and to me pointing my weapon at my dick every time I re-holster on the off chance that I might be shot or carrying a baby in the middle of a gunfight that I am trying to stay in makes about as much sense....

There are some merits, but I don't think they outweigh the negatives. Maybe I'm the only guy thinking it, which is why I put it out there...

Before it gets sidetracked, I don't care for the guy at all, I just have no experience with light bearing holsters and I remember that he has a light taped to his light, and has a million holsters for everything. (I just bought a X300U for my 19)

When I carried on my hip there were many times I'd flag my leg, knee, foot etc. I haven't seen a conceal carry method that doesn't point the gun at you sometimes. Aside from maybe under arm that flags everyone you are around.

And carrying a baby, groceries etc or having to use your off hand instead of strong hand are very real scenarios that need to be dealt with.

To me flagging my crotch and fixing real problems is much better than flagging my leg and ignoring real problems.

scoutchris
12-20-13, 20:48
My Bradley driver lost both of his legs in Yusifiyah, Iraq in 2007. When we were waiting for dustoff to arrive, he would not stop asking if his dick was still there. I mean, he lost BOTH LEGS, and he was only concerned about his dick. I guess that would be an example of why most men care more about their dicks than their legs. And I promise you, statistically speaking, you have a much greater chance of shooting your own dick off than you do getting in a gunfight holding a baby.

And I'm not sure if you've ever been shot at or seen someone shot, but it takes takes a different type of human to get shot and then have the presence of mind to continue the fight with the support hand and clear a malfunction...

I hope this is like the AFG and a fad that everyone will eventually realize is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, but then again, Glock titanium firing pin safeties for still get sold.

P.S. - Flagging your own dick is a very real problem.

HardLuck682
12-20-13, 21:05
I've been carrying AIWB for some time now. I'm not worried about shooting myself anywhere. There are 4 basic firearm rules, but there is no need to go over them here, as we all should know them well. My point is, with the four rules, not advising to, but if one rule is broken at a time, no injury can be had, but break ANY combination of two, and it will be disastrous.

A quality holster covers the trigger assembly, preventing the trigger from being pressed.

I carry in the AIWB position, it works for me, maybe not for you. It isn't my job to criticize what works for another.

G19A3
12-20-13, 21:27
I hope this is like the AFG and a fad that everyone will eventually realize is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Fad....I agree.

scoutchris
12-20-13, 21:42
Thanks, G19A3, I thought I was the only person on here....

Think about this gentlemen, let's imagine this scenario- You take your son to the gun range to practice...
"Hey Dad?" He asks.
"Yes, Son?"
"I've been noticing something..."
"What's that, son?"
"Every single time you re-holster your weapon, you point a loaded gun directly at your dick."
"Listen here, son. When you get shot in your support arm while holding a baby and can't clear a stovepipe, don't come crying to me! Besides, if you only break one of the four rules of firearms safety at a time, you're good to go!"

I want to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

YVK
12-20-13, 21:56
This fad has been around for 20 years, at least.

If you know what you're doing and have a correct gear, you will not muzzle yourself on holstering in standing position. Conversely, if you are muzzling yourself or you think it is inevitable (again, in standing), you've no clue.
Hammer fired guns allow for a better control over situation.

Finally, if you think it is wrong, it is. For you.

gun71530
12-20-13, 22:01
This fad has been around for 20 years, at least.

If you know what you're doing and have a correct gear, you will not muzzle yourself on holstering in standing position. Conversely, if you are muzzling yourself or you think it is inevitable (again, in standing), you've no clue.

Solid advice, also with a proper AIWB holster, you can easily position your pistol so it's not pointing at your dick.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Chameleox
12-20-13, 22:11
And I'm not sure if you've ever been shot at or seen someone shot, but it takes takes a different type of human to get shot and then have the presence of mind to continue the fight with the support hand and clear a malfunction...
"Rackable" sights are for more than just when your support hand/arm is inoperable. They're also for when your support side is otherwise occupied.

Agreed. However, like other posters have mentioned, AIWB hasn't posed a problem for many people. Other common methods can result in flagging oneself. I occasionally carry AIWB. I use it when I want to carry a larger gun than I could behind my hip. I find it has other benefits as well. While its not my preferred method of carry, it is a tool in the toolbox. Yes, I can potentially flag myself, but I can do that carrying at my shoulder, pocket, or pretty much anywhere other than in a dropped and offset holster. Holster selection is key.

Yes, having to manipulate your handgun with an injured shoulder, or while carrying a baby is a blessedly rare event. However, so is actually being in a gunfight. If your sole litmus test for the utility of a product is the likelihood of use, then...well...

Matt O
12-20-13, 22:14
I hope this is like the AFG and a fad that everyone will eventually realize is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

FYI, appendix carry isn't a fad that was invented within the last couple years. The fact is, it does work for other people who have tested it extensively, have verified the tangible results in speed and concealment it provides and have accepted the risks associated with this carry method. In addition, if you carry a pistol IWB, be it at 3:00 or 12:00, you are flagging yourself throughout the day whether you realize it or not.

If it doesn't work for you because you're not comfortable with it or it doesn't fit with your body shape, then it's not for you. No worries. I'm not really certain what you're hoping to achieve with this thread

scoutchris
12-20-13, 22:47
I just wanted to get people's opinions on the method, that's all. Start a debate, maybe learn something. Having sex with another man isn't a new thing either, but that doesn't make it any more right or safe...

scoutchris
12-20-13, 22:52
Think about the likelyhoods of these situations:
1. Getting in a gunfight.
2. Getting shot in a gunfight.
3. Getting shot in a gunfight and the wound be minor enough or ineffective enough for you to continue manipulating your weapon.
4. Having a malfunction in your weapon system that you have effectively vetted before dedicating it to daily carry use.
5. Holding a baby.

Now let's run those numbers, and then ask ourselves if the chances of every single one of those things happening at once is enough of a reason to point a loaded weapon at your dick every time you holster it.

I'm just trying to get my post count high enough to get in GD.

Trajan
12-20-13, 22:54
Fad....I agree.
Milt Sparks Summer Special was originally an AIWB holster.

Faster draw, better concealment (read: you can carry a real gun), more natural position, and better retention in a fight/gun grab are among a few of the benefits of this position. If you don't like it or want these advantages, continue to use strong side.

The problem with the whole "push the grip in so the muzzle is pushing out" is it puts undue stress on the gun and holster. Especially if you're using a holster with a tucking feature, it might just not be possible. To me it is far safer to look, confirm that there is nothing in the holster, point your index finger in front of you, and slowly re-holster. That way there is no additional resistance on the holstering aspect.

My AIWB holster for an Inforce APL does in fact flag my dick. Unlike other posters in here, I'm not packing a Beretta Tomcat. Just have to be careful.

I just wanted to get people's opinions on the method, that's all. Start a debate, maybe learn something. Having sex with another man isn't a new thing either, but that doesn't make it any more right or safe...Ah, just a troll.

YVK
12-20-13, 23:27
The problem with the whole "push the grip in so the muzzle is pushing out" is it puts undue stress on the gun and holster. Especially if you're using a holster with a tucking feature, it might just not be possible. To me it is far safer to look, confirm that there is nothing in the holster, point your index finger in front of you, and slowly re-holster. That way there is no additional resistance on the holstering aspect.

I have a limited exposure to AIWB rigs. My personal experience is with Shaggy (5 different guns), Quick Cover (1), JM Kydex (1), Kolbeson (3), Invictus (3) and SME (2). I also owned Cane and Derby. I've never had a problem tilting any of them.
That said, I do look in as well and I ride my hammers.

I just wanted to get people's opinions on the method, that's all. Start a debate, maybe learn something. Having sex with another man isn't a new thing either, but that doesn't make it any more right or safe...

The first rule of junk carry: never convince anyone to junk carry.
It is simply a public safety service.

Truth to be told, it is best for those who have balls of steel and a big schlong. I shoot a bit off - nobody will really notice; maybe guys in the gym will be less envious.

Good luck with getting into GD.

Matt O
12-21-13, 07:19

Good luck with your trolling.

Grizzly16
12-21-13, 07:35
And I promise you, statistically speaking, you have a much greater chance of shooting your own dick off than you do getting in a gunfight holding a baby.

Provide the stats

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-21-13, 07:56
Lots of fail and trolling in this thread. Look, if you're not comfortable carrying AIWB, don't. It's not for beginners, or the unskilled and untrained. Those calling it a fad clearly fall into one or more of those categories. Appendix carry has been around since the invention of handguns and pants, it's not new.

Chameleox
12-21-13, 08:00

Start what debate? There are already AIWB threads here, discussing safety, equipment, (in)appropriate firearms, utility, etc. Its already been discussed here. What have you brought to the table with this thread, other than an almost gratuitous use of the word "dick"?

Post #14: I don't need to have every one of those things happen at once to believe that AIWB and sights sturdy enough to rack one handed are good tools in my toolbox. The "baby in your hands" is an example meant to represent the possibility that one of your hands may be occupied with a critical task, thus unable to assist with actually drawing and firing.

CCK
12-21-13, 08:49
scoutchris,

Why do you care?
Grow up. Leave men to do men things without asking permission. We know the risks. we think they are negligible. If we didn't we would carry this way. You're not the first to think of this. You're not saving anyone.

Don't like it, don't do it.