PDA

View Full Version : Talon Grips (pic)

FAB45
12-20-13, 20:08
Haven't heard or seen too much on these. Simple concept, going to try them out. Why? This pistol has NO texturing on the grip from the factory, something modified is needed (my opinion). I am fully aware of companies like Boresight Solutions, Atei, etc. I just don't know if I'm ready to stipple as it's not reversible, lol. If these hold up I'll keep them around, if they peel off easily I'll ditch them for stippling. Haven't tried them on the range yet. Review to follow soon.

Edit: The install was very easy, took about 5 minutes of patience.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh579/GEARS45/image_zps913a1a04.jpg (http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/GEARS45/media/image_zps913a1a04.jpg.html)

Sensei
12-20-13, 20:45
They tear the hell out of Under Armor shirts and leather car seats.

Campion
12-20-13, 21:08
I've been using these and trugrips on my duty pistols for the last couple years and they have held up to very well. I was going through about 2 a year until I recently decided to have my gun stippled. When it comes to longevity and slipping it really comes down to how well you were able to install it. I found that rubbing the pistol down with rubbing alcohol to completely remove all and any oils and dirt made a huge difference. I really wouldn't recommend it for concealed carry and even open carry it chewed up some polo shirts. But it's basically a corse sandpaper sticker so that's to be expected.

_Stormin_
12-20-13, 21:14
Looks a lot like what we used to do with skate deck tape.

Sent using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Redhat
12-20-13, 21:23
I like them a lot but I only use the rubber ones not the skateboard tape version. Not quite as aggressive.

Kain
12-20-13, 22:09
I have run decal grips on my Glock 17 for quite some time mostly because I have not had any interest in stippling the gun. Have found them to work very well for the most part. Both have pros and cons. All depends on your needs and wants.

SiGfever
12-20-13, 22:32
I use the "black rubber" Talon grips and they work very well for me, good grip but not too aggressive.

sierra 223
12-20-13, 22:41
Agreed on the rubber version will not abrade skin or clothes.
Holds up a lot better that I thought and gives a good grip.

m1a_scoutguy
12-21-13, 00:02
I have them on 3 pistols at the moment & really like them !!! I have the Skate tape on one of my Glock 17s and just bought a rubber set for my other 17,,I wanted to try both ! I also bought the Rubber grip for my FNS and have it installed ! The FNS has a pretty good feel and decent texture already,,but I just wanted to try both sets !!! I got a smoking deal on Cyber Monday,,,,$24 bucks for 2 sets shipped !! I don't carry either of these pistols,,so I can't comment on how they would feel or hold up in that situation,,but for range work and IDPA/USPSA matches they have held up and worked fine !! I have had the one set on for over a year with 0 problems,,time will tell with the other two !!
It is VERY important to make sure your gun/grip area is clean and free from oils/sweat/etc,,they included little isopropyl wipes with each grip,,but I always wipe them down with more ! I also heat them up just a little before installing with a hair drier,,but after its on I warm it up and really grip/press the grip in place for several minutes and those babies "really" stay put,,at least in my instances !! For the price,,I think they are a decent option !

thecolter
12-21-13, 09:33
I've been running the rubber version of their grip on my FS M&P 9 for a few years now. It's held up great so far with good grip that is not too aggressive. I'm also using them with my new M&P Shield, and so far, so good. I couldn't bring myself to stipple the frames and this was a good alternative.

MH64
12-21-13, 13:12
I have the Talon rubber versions on both my fullsize and compact M&P pistols. However, as I have stippled backstraps on each, I cut off the backstrap portion of the Talon grip to no overlap my stippled backstraps.

Works very well.

Phillygunguy
12-21-13, 20:35
I have the sandpaper Talons on one of my G 17s after a while , less than a year they wore out some . I got some 3M grip tape for steps aholds pretty good so far.

birdkiller
12-21-13, 21:27
Initially I used Talon grips on my Glock (Gen 3). Eventually they started to shift/peel, so I pulled them off and thought the grip under was pretty good:P Aaand then I realized I live in AZ and my hands sweat so I'd like more grip.

Enter, deck tape. Big 'ole sheet for 5 bucks from a skate shop. I just cut out the tape, slapped it on the degreased gun (used alcohol wipes) and super glued the seams. I like it so far, but I'm cheap and like to tinker, so YMMV. Another advantage I see to grip tape is that the grip tape will take any damage/scratches instead of your grip.

That being said, Talon Grips are quality products and if pre-made floats your boat, they're an excellent purchase. Try sealing the seams on the fingers with super glue, to prevent any pealing. That combined with m1a_scoutguy's recommendation of cleaning, heat and pressure, and these grips should last you a good amount of time.

- Cole

RagweedZulu
12-23-13, 21:02
I put a set of their rubber grips on my XDs last spring. Oddly, the XDs grips are TOO aggressively checked from the factory and the rubber Talons help soften them while providing a super tacky grip and draw. I wiped the gun down with the provided wipes, then applied the talons and set the whole thing on the hood of my idling black patrol car one day that reached 110 degrees. The pistol was almost too hot to touch after 15 minutes but the grips formed nicely to the XDs checkering.

After carrying all summer and shooting it often, the Talons slid just a little on the lower right edge, against my palm. I used an x-Acto to remove this little corner and haven't had problems since. Love this gun and the Talons make it all that much sweeter to carry!

J_B
12-23-13, 21:57
I put the rubber Talon grips on my wife's PM9 and she loves them. I noticed she's carries it off duty more.

When I owned a 9mm Shield I put the rubber Talon grips on it. It felt good but I went back to the slip on rubber grips. I did leave the Talon grips on the magazine bases though.

I chose to have my duty carry Gen4 19 stippled.