PDA

View Full Version : Handguns for newbie (with old eyes)

Elkhound
12-22-13, 12:12
Got it, thanks. I appreciate the thoughts.

I was inquiring into which handgun and which sight might be best for my AARP eligible eyes. I can't pick up white dots. So, I wanted to know if fiber optics or a red dot might work better.

Also, I want to buy three handguns, and master one platform. With a bare minimum of experience, I want to get a gun that is easy to learn and has good aftermarket parts. That may leave Glocks, CZs, or 1911s as my best choice.

Will

Hmac
12-22-13, 12:26
You don't mention your age, but assuming that you're old enough for presbyopia to be an issue, that will play a role in you sight selection. Red dots are fine, but carry and holster would be an issue. My preference has been a fiberoptic front sight and careful attention to my shooting eyeware. My shooting glasses are selected to give me the ability to focus on the front sight and still see the target clearly. For me, that works out to 1.5 diopters, whereas I usually need 2.5 diopters for reading. Bifocals won't work, and I don't care for the prescription inserts. I just buy reading glasses with polycarbonate lenses and throw on some side shields.

Working with your optician or eye doctor is usually much more efficient and cheaper than buying red dot sights.

As to handgun brands. I have Sig, M&P, Glock, and Walther and have shot them for years. There isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that the capability of my Walther PPQ is leagues ahead of any of the other three. My Glock 19 is my least favorite handgun of the four. If I were you, I'd get a Walther PPQ in 9mm and start there.

walker2713
12-22-13, 13:20
I've been shooting and carrying Glocks for 20+ years, and always fit them with Truglo sights.....good for day as well as night.

That being said, I've also got the Walther PPQ in 9 & 40, with Trijicons. The ergonomics are great, and the trigger is superb.

A year or so ago I bought a SW M&P 9 compact for my wife as her carry gun, and to shoot for her CCW license course. I put a couple of hundred rounds through it, and wouldn't think twice about using it for my carry gun as well....a very nice piece of work.

So.....IMHO you'd be well servced by going with, for starters, a Glock 19, a M&P 9C or a Walther PPQ.

Although I've never owned one, I saw an interesting video recently on Hickok45's youtube channel about FN's FNS9 model......looked interesting.

Just some thoughts from a genuine "geezer" of 73:cool:

George

walkin' trails
12-22-13, 19:04
I feel your pain. I seldom wear my prescription glasses for shooting as they're bifocals, and furthermore, I haven't found a doc yet who understands that I must be able to see my front sight clearly at arm's length presentation distance. I still can without glasses. Anyway, and this is just my opinion, but I have found sights that offer a standard .125 front blade with a serrated ramp and a tritium insert backed up by a rear sight with a wider notch - at least a .140 work pretty good for now. The wider rear notch allows for more light to come in around the front sight; and during the day, the tritium insert picks up enough reflection to draw my eye to the front sight. The wider rear notch seemed to first gain traction in the gun games, but has been noted to help shooters with older eyes. I have tried the XS Big Dot and 10-8 fiber optics. The Big Dot did not do me much good, and I think any value of a big white dot was lost on me trying to center it in a shallow "V" rear sight. On the other hand, there are those for whom this set-up works good. The FO front sight is good when there is light. I sometimes work at night, and although I pretty much always have a white light or two of some form with me, I still prefer to have that tritium insert. The 10-8 formula, however, is a good one. It uses a FO (or brass bead, or a tritium vial) in the front sight, and an large "U" for a rear sight. Both front and rear are serrated. There are other companies that offer the same or similar set-ups.

My personal preference at the moment is the Heinie Ledge Straight 8 (tritium front and rear). I've been using Heinies for years in the Slant Pro configuration, and found that their front sight, with its serrated ramp, provides a crisp sight picture for me. The wider rear notch helps my eyes gather enough light to focus on the front sight. I still shoot good with these sights. I understand that not everyone is the same, however. The best advice for you is to research and check out various configurations that are available. Bottom line is that you want a set of sights that allow your front sight to be clearly visible to you when you present your handgun, and that you are able to clearly focus upon. I could also tell you to go back and discuss the issue with your eye doc, but that may or may not be useful.

RWH24
12-22-13, 22:48
I just ordered a New M&P 9mm FS with these sights. I told Grant I was older and my bifocal eyes needed a little help..

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SA137O

22244 Click on thumbnail to enlarge picture.

I believe the Big Orange frt sight will hold my attention and the brain can get everything aligned
before going BANGBANG!

When I had my XDs the red FO was able to get my attention quickly.

Salamander
12-24-13, 18:34
I seldom wear my prescription glasses for shooting as they're bifocals...

This is perhaps fine if you're only shooting at the range. But it makes me wonder how many people out there are training with one vision setup, and then trying to CCW with prescription glasses. I prefer to train the same way I'm going to carry.

moonshot
12-25-13, 10:06
This is perhaps fine if you're only shooting at the range. But it makes me wonder how many people out there are training with one vision setup, and then trying to CCW with prescription glasses. I prefer to train the same way I'm going to carry.

These are my feelings as well. I train with my everyday glasses and no glasses (in case I lose mine or don't have time to grab them). I think "range specific" glasses are fine for competition, but not for serious training.

Pi3
12-25-13, 11:49
get a sw mp with the laser grips. You have a choice of thumb safety or none. The laser grips replace the interchangeable grip & are integrated into the gun better than some other makes (such as glock).
http://www.crimsontracelaser.com/smith-wesson-crimson-trace-laser-sight-lg-660-lasergrips-smith-wesson-mp-fullsize-p-71.html

yoni
12-25-13, 12:19
I have solved the old eyes problem by going with a glock with an RMR red dot mounted on it. I have been using this set up for years and have had no issues with it. The slide is milled so the red dot sits lower and has suppresor backup iron sights.

Elkhound
12-25-13, 16:19
Great ideas guys, I appreciate it. The Smith & Wesson M&P C.O.R.E. has caught my eye, as something that would allow the use of an optic, without having to modify the slide. However, I did look at the "RockyourGlock" site and I say that
they can put a red dot on a Glock. I have shot Glocks and while I am far from a great shot, I don't have any problem with their ergonomics. I just struggle, as many older shooters and infrequent shoots do, with the lack of an external safety ---- I know this is a training, cultural, age, preference thing, and when speed counts, the safety is an impediment, but it is still in the back of my mind.

I have seen a trigger safety for the Glock, called, I think a "Siderlock" and that may be the answer to my "Glock-o-phobia," or maybe I just need therapy (or, more accurately, proper training with the Glock).

Elkhound
12-25-13, 16:22
I just ordered a New M&P 9mm FS with these sights. I told Grant I was older and my bifocal eyes needed a little help..

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SA137O

22244 Click on thumbnail to enlarge picture.

I believe the Big Orange frt sight will hold my attention and the brain can get everything aligned
before going BANGBANG!

When I had my XDs the red FO was able to get my attention quickly.

That arrangement looks very easy to see. I like that large front, bright, orange sight.

Trajan
12-25-13, 17:00
Great ideas guys, I appreciate it. The Smith & Wesson M&P C.O.R.E. has caught my eye, as something that would allow the use of an optic, without having to modify the slide. However, I did look at the "RockyourGlock" site and I say that
they can put a red dot on a Glock. I have shot Glocks and while I am far from a great shot, I don't have any problem with their ergonomics. I just struggle, as many older shooters and infrequent shoots do, with the lack of an external safety ---- I know this is a training, cultural, age, preference thing, and when speed counts, the safety is an impediment, but it is still in the back of my mind.

I have seen a trigger safety for the Glock, called, I think a "Siderlock" and that may be the answer to my "Glock-o-phobia," or maybe I just need therapy (or, more accurately, proper training with the Glock).

I think that's normal for every shooter. Once you learn how a Glock works, you'll get over it.

I think once Aimpoint releases their MRDS we'll see red dots on pistols much more.

sinister
12-25-13, 19:18
Harrison Retro Sight on the right.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/files/2013/10/Harrison-HD-Retro_001.jpg

Pi3
12-26-13, 13:57
"I think once Aimpoint releases their MRDS we'll see red dots on pistols much more"
Any idea when that might be? I will have a red dot on a pistol at some point, but am waiting for the next update. With a combo of rmr & laser, the iron sights become a 2nd back up.

weggy
12-26-13, 14:12
I've used both the XS Big dot and the Heinie straight 8. I shoot the XS a little better but I don't think you could go wrong with either set.

Trajan
12-26-13, 14:16
"I think once Aimpoint releases their MRDS we'll see red dots on pistols much more"
Any idea when that might be? I will have a red dot on a pistol at some point, but am waiting for the next update. With a combo of rmr & laser, the iron sights become a 2nd back up.

No idea. I'm in the same boat in regards to waiting for the next gen.

RWH24
12-26-13, 15:47
For EDC, iron sights is all I will ever use. When I go to the range to shoot, I shoot like I carry. Only way I would use an optic sight on a pistol is if I was shooting in some sort of competition that allowed RDS or such optics. Could not imagine mounting an Aimpoint R-1 on my KAHR P-380! :sarcastic::nono::no:

Pi3
12-26-13, 17:22
What if you can barely see the irons? My old eyes with bifocals see fuzzy irons. I agree on shooting at the range like in a self defense situation. I shoot idpa with irons, good practice for daylight when the laser is useless. But for low light up close, the ctc grips are great. Adding an RMR with tall iron sights might really be the ticket.

Trajan
12-26-13, 17:31
For EDC, iron sights is all I will ever use. When I go to the range to shoot, I shoot like I carry. Only way I would use an optic sight on a pistol is if I was shooting in some sort of competition that allowed RDS or such optics. Could not imagine mounting an Aimpoint R-1 on my KAHR P-380! :sarcastic::nono::no:

Plenty of dudes are EDCing G19s and M&Ps with RMRs and T-1s on them.

Red dots are a huge advantage. In 20 years, you'll look at the guy without a red dot on his pistol like you look at a dude with a modern carbine without a rds.

RWH24
12-26-13, 21:04
Plenty of dudes are EDCing G19s and M&Ps with RMRs and T-1s on them.

Red dots are a huge advantage. In 20 years, you'll look at the guy without a red dot on his pistol like you look at a dude with a modern carbine without a rds.
I may be looking at this all wrong or just not completely. TLR-2 I have mounted on the Bed gun, a Sig 226 and a 20rnd Mec gar mag, or a CTC gripped gun yes I can adjust to. 20 years I won't be around or able to worry about it. I am 2 heart attacks down now. The RMR or RDS on an EDC is not warming me or make me feel fuzzy at all. Each his own, that is why we have choices for individual tastes.
My AR has an H-1, saving for a T-1 for mine and put the H-1 on wife's AR.......Actually thought about a 4 moa RDS for her AR for quicker accusation. If that really works, CQB close.

Trajan
12-26-13, 23:35
I may be looking at this all wrong or just not completely. TLR-2 I have mounted on the Bed gun, a Sig 226 and a 20rnd Mec gar mag, or a CTC gripped gun yes I can adjust to. 20 years I won't be around or able to worry about it. I am 2 heart attacks down now. The RMR or RDS on an EDC is not warming me or make me feel fuzzy at all. Each his own, that is why we have choices for individual tastes.
My AR has an H-1, saving for a T-1 for mine and put the H-1 on wife's AR.......Actually thought about a 4 moa RDS for her AR for quicker accusation. If that really works, CQB close.

Well if you ever get the chance to use one, do so. They're pretty neat. It does however take work picking up the dot on your press out.

The Crimson Trace grips are a great addition.

I wouldn't worry about the H-1/T-1 differences. Unless you're swimming with it, or your HD plan includes NODs, the H-1 is just as capable.

Don't think like that. The mind leads the body. Thinking defeat will lead you right to it. Never say die.

RWH24
12-27-13, 08:21
Don't think like that. The mind leads the body. Thinking defeat will lead you right to it. Never say die.
When they haul me out on the stretcher I will wave, just won't use all my fingers! :dance3:

packinaglock
12-29-13, 06:05
What if you can barely see the irons? My old eyes with bifocals see fuzzy irons. I agree on shooting at the range like in a self defense situation. I shoot idpa with irons, good practice for daylight when the laser is useless. But for low light up close, the ctc grips are great. Adding an RMR with tall iron sights might really be the ticket.

This is my situation as well, sights are blurry but the target is clear. I got the CTC grips for my M&M 9c /.40c I also got a set for my gen 4 G19 & G23. I like the design for the M&P but I don't care for the Glock design, It feels like I have a wad of gum stuck to the side of my gun.

pat701
12-30-13, 18:02
Remember you only look at the front sight, everything else is blurry.