PDA

View Full Version : Potential fix for Gen 3 .40 with light?

CodeRed30
12-24-13, 23:05
I know that Gen 3 .40 Glocks that run anything but a Glock light tend to have issues. I also know that Glock remedied the issue in the Gen 4's by replacing the guiderod and spring. With that being said, has anyone tried running an aftermarket guiderod/spring in the Gen 3's with any success? I.e. a product like this- http://www.efkfiredragon.com/glock.html

davidjinks
12-24-13, 23:56
I have tried a couple different aftermarket setups for the RSA. All of them exacerbated the problem.

Easiest solution to the WML/Glock 22 issue is; get the 11 coil magazine springs (Glock OEM parts). I broke my brain and my wallet trying to fix the issue. 4 Gen 3 Glock 22s (I'm on my 5th one now which is a Blue label), 4000+ rounds of various 40 ammo, countless amounts of replacement parts and gimmicks…AHHH!

There's a member here who has excellent advice regarding the Glock 22. Sound/solid advice without the BS. Look up CoryCop. He walked me through all of my questions and issues.

I know that Gen 3 .40 Glocks that run anything but a Glock light tend to have issues. I also know that Glock remedied the issue in the Gen 4's by replacing the guiderod and spring. With that being said, has anyone tried running an aftermarket guiderod/spring in the Gen 3's with any success? I.e. a product like this- http://www.efkfiredragon.com/glock.html

Devildawg2531
12-25-13, 08:56
Do what I did and trade the gen 3 for a gen 4 .40. Problem solved and I was out of pocket maybe $200.

madisonsfinest
03-22-14, 08:52
My department has seen a significant number of malfunctions with Gen4 40's and wml. I would just switch to 9mm

Psalms144.1
03-23-14, 09:10
I had a very good friend and SUPERB Glock shooter who couldn't get his 3rd Gen G23 to run with a WML for love or money. We tried every "fix" known to mankind, in every possible combination of fixes. Nothing worked.

At my recommendation, he sold the 3rd Gen (at a loss) and got a Gen4 G23. Of course, it won't run with a WML either, so now I feel like a total idiot.

I'm firmly convinced that, if you HAVE TO have a WML, you shouldn't carry a Glock in .40 S&W. Of course, the Glock in .40 S&W in any configuration is probably my LEAST favorite platform, and I believe that the 9mm is the better choice...

Devildawg2531
03-23-14, 09:18
I had a very good friend and SUPERB Glock shooter who couldn't get his 3rd Gen G23 to run with a WML for love or money. We tried every "fix" known to mankind, in every possible combination of fixes. Nothing worked.

At my recommendation, he sold the 3rd Gen (at a loss) and got a Gen4 G23. Of course, it won't run with a WML either, so now I feel like a total idiot.

I'm firmly convinced that, if you HAVE TO have a WML, you shouldn't carry a Glock in .40 S&W. Of course, the Glock in .40 S&W in any configuration is probably my LEAST favorite platform, and I believe that the 9mm is the better choice...

I'd like to hear more about your issue running a Gen 4 with a WML. I've used all 4 of my Gen 4's extensively with a Surefire X300 and X400 and they have been 100% reliable.

Talon167
03-23-14, 09:33
Yea, buy a P30 LEM.

Wasn't the issue with the G 40s mostly with the ones that had the 'pig nose' frame? I know you can use a heat gun to bend it back down... might help.

Chameleox
03-23-14, 10:45
Our gen. 4 issues (same department as madisonsfinest) were with the stream light TLR family. Same as the gen. 3s- failures to feed, for which the gen. 4 was one of our solutions. Magazine springs, updating RSAs, etc. were all tried. We already issued 180 grain ammo, which some people thought was a partial solution a while back. Nothing was a 100% solution.

The administration's response (in conjunction with some of the armorers and instructors) was to dis-approve WMLS use with .40 cal Glocks. We also switched the initial purchase for the academy recruits back to the G17, and the bosses are working on getting a payroll deduction set up for officers who want to switch to a G17 or 19.

I had a gen. 3 G 22 for several years. I had very few problems with it up until summer of last year. I used Surefire lights, which may have helped a bit. I was also very meticulous with cleaning and parts replacement. When I couldn't keep the gun running reliably (I started getting 1-2 malfs per box of 50), I switched to an older Gen. 3 17. A week after qualifying, the next rounds I fired were on the street. I seriously think I dodged a bullet, so to speak. The recent volume of OISs in our area (3 in a calendar year is unheard of for us) when taken in light of the number of .40 Glocks and the number of problems we've had with them, prompted the department to take action.

Side note, partial rant. A lot of people will suggest simply switching platforms or going to an aftermarket solution. For shooters who aren't tied to department regulations, this is an easy solution. Keep in mind, though, than many of the people here who are seeing the G22/wml problem are either department end users, or instructors/armorers who are looking for a solution. Sometimes, using an aftermarket part (even a good one) is just going to be a no-go due to warranty or concerns from higher ups, warranted or not. Same with switching platforms. For many departments, issued or approved guns have logistical support behind them, and switching from .40 to 9 in the Glock still requires purchasing some specific parts, replacement guns, and ammo (it really isn't any easier for departments either). To an extent, it's a similar dynamic to the 1911 for a single person vs for an agency discussion going on elsewhere. What A) works and B) is acceptable, for 1 end user may not work for an officer beholden to policy/regs/someone else armoring their system, or for a firearms program.

I'm in the camp that if you have to fix the problem, going to a 9mm is the best option. However, it's not always an option.

Psalms144.1
03-23-14, 13:45
My buddy's problematic G23s were also while using the TLR. I guess the only fix we didn't try (because he didn't want to drop the coin to try it) was to go to a Surefire.

Of course, my G19 runs fine with a TLR, as do my P2000 and P30 (both 9mm). As alluded to above, I think the Glock in .40 is operating right on the ragged edge of its design parameters for the stress that cartridge puts on the pistol, which is why they seem to be so darned picky with lights.

And, Chameleox - thanks for reminding us that not every agency has as open a weapons policy as mine. I really feel for those who are issued and MUST carry a one-size-fits-some solution.

Regards,

Kevin

walkin' trails
03-23-14, 13:56
My Gen 3 23 ran fine until I got an X200, then started jamming. This was at the time when Glock was addressing the issues with the 22s, but no one seemed to consider the other models might also have glitches. I cured my pistol's problem with Wolff extra power mag springs. I think Wolff springs are worth the money and the only aftermarket parts, besides sights that I have had great experience with.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Steel
03-23-14, 16:23
The year the Gen 4 G22 came out I ordered one that summer. I have run Streamlight TLR-1 and 2 plus Surefire X300 on it and it has 6000+ rounds with no malfunctions. I might just buy a HK next time before buying another Glock. I have always wanted to try an HK.

davidjinks
03-23-14, 22:38
One thing I have noticed with my current Glock 22 are the newest magazines Glock has come out with.

They're ambi-cut, 15 rounders, 11 coil spring and #9 followers. The magazine is also stamped on the back, under the Glock logo, 1633-03.

These things just flat out damn run. I have since discarded all original Glock. 22 magazines and replaced them with these magazines.

Sorry for the crap pictures.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/davidjinks/15DF6C4F-E8A0-4E07-AF0F-C08D950B45F9_zpslfdwerga.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/davidjinks/media/15DF6C4F-E8A0-4E07-AF0F-C08D950B45F9_zpslfdwerga.jpg.html)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/davidjinks/DB3D1B69-BFFA-4355-9441-D151C351EEF7_zpsejkl0kt3.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/davidjinks/media/DB3D1B69-BFFA-4355-9441-D151C351EEF7_zpsejkl0kt3.jpg.html)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/davidjinks/0BBFCBB7-2ED0-46DF-A4EA-967583D02ABD_zps4jygkgc5.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/davidjinks/media/0BBFCBB7-2ED0-46DF-A4EA-967583D02ABD_zps4jygkgc5.jpg.html)

BigLarge
03-24-14, 02:26
I didnt have any problems with my issued G22 w/ TLR1 ... until we switched to 165g practice ammo. As soon as I/we switched back to 180g the problem ceased.

whick1
03-24-14, 06:45
I didnt have any problems with my issued G22 w/ TLR1 ... until we switched to 165g practice ammo. As soon as I/we switched back to 180g the problem ceased.

I have noticed the same problem. I have ran a Gen 3 22 for about 5 years now at my current dept. I run it completely stock with a TLR1 on it. The only issue I have had is with the lighter loads. 155 gr and 165 grain caused major issues. Our dept was issued 180 gr Hydra Shocks back when I 1st came on. They ran fine thru the 22s even with a light. Our sheriff got a good deal on some 155 gr Ranger T and we immediately began having issues. We then went to 165 gr Gold Dots and the problem persisted although not hardly as bad. We then went to 180 gr Bonded Ranger and the problem went away. I have around 2,500 rds of the 180 gr Bonded Ranger thru my dept issued Gen 3 22 w/o any issues with the TLr1 mounted. We use WWB 180 gr for practice or Speer Lawmen both in 180 gr. Not sure why the 180s run so much better but they do at least in our case.

BigLarge
03-24-14, 12:17
Not sure why the 180s run so much better but they do at least in our case.

I'm no Glock expert, but it was explained to me the TLR1 causes the dust cover to be more rigid, which allows increased slide velocity. 165g rounds produce a higher slide velocity than the 180g, so the faster 165g cause the slide to out run the mag. Apparently 11-coil mag springs (which we switched to) help this problem.

mayonaise
03-24-14, 17:43
You can try upgrading G23 mags springs from 9 coil springs to 10 coil (G17) springs.

teutonicpolymer
03-25-14, 03:26
Could using an extra power recoil spring help?

EzGoingKev
03-25-14, 12:39
Are you guys that are having trouble installing WML's on brand new unfired pistols?

Just Prince
03-25-14, 13:16
I say about 3/4 about 750 officers in my department run weapon lights. We carry Gen 3 Glock 22's the SWAT guys carry G21's. The only officer to experince malfunctions using WMl have been officer who used the TLR range of lights AND wrenched down the light on the frame too tight. I have carried a x200b before I upgraded to a x300U for the last six years. Before that it was a Streamlight M3 Never had a malfunction related to the light. Unless the guide rod has a lot of rounds of use that is probably not your problem. What light are you planning to use

davidjinks
03-25-14, 20:07
All the ones I tried exacerbated the problem. Standard, Glock captured RSAs work. I do not believe that it is the RSA that causes the problem.

Could using an extra power recoil spring help?