PDA

View Full Version : TX DPS M&P 9

brushy bill
12-26-13, 15:54
Don't know the particulars on the selection process, but found this interesting:

http://www.kxan.com/news/texas/dps-switching-service-pistols-for-troopers

rathos
12-27-13, 00:27
going to a lighter gun that is easier to maintain and keeping the same bullet basically. Really the .357 sig is just a +P 9mm anyway...

brushy bill
12-27-13, 14:27
going to a lighter gun that is easier to maintain and keeping the same bullet basically. Really the .357 sig is just a +P 9mm anyway...

Copy on the rationale, was noting that I could provide no additional information concerning the selection process (i.e. what other competitors were considered, testing conducted, number of rds fired, results, etc).

babypanther
12-27-13, 22:11
Good for them. I wish my agency allowed me to carry my M&P for my work gun

txf15crewchief
12-27-13, 23:15
The comments on the article make me want to punt puppies. It's sometimes difficult remembering that M4C is a minority in the gun world.

I'm interested to know what ammo they will be issuing with these M&Ps.

RWH24
12-27-13, 23:36
DPS 357Sig ammo was a contract ammo. Don't remember if I ever saw a brand name on a box. It has been 5 years since also.

sierra 223
12-27-13, 23:40
I think it will be a good move.

Yea I read the comments you were talking about, seems like a lot of the people who complain the most about 9mm know very little about guns.

babypanther
12-27-13, 23:44
The comments on the article make me want to punt puppies. It's sometimes difficult remembering that M4C is a minority in the gun world.

I'm interested to know what ammo they will be issuing with these M&Ps.

HAHAHA yeah I enjoyed the one about 9mm users having to sit down while they peed!

malstew123
12-28-13, 10:14
This is good news. I shot a Trooper buddy's sig he carries on duty and it had an attrocios trigger pull. Glad to see them making a sensible choice on pistols. Now if they could get rid of those Bushy ARs...

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-28-13, 14:34
9mm is the cheapest to shoot, with the cheapest guns. What's not for .gov to love?

BOOSTjunkie
12-29-13, 12:20
9mm is the cheapest to shoot, with the cheapest guns. What's not for .gov to love?

the ego of some govt procurement bureaucrat who knows nothing about guns and refuses to shoot anything not starting with a "4"

gunnut284
12-29-13, 18:59
Weight and capacity are significant considerations in a duty gun. Combine that with improved shootability, particularly for marginal shooters (who are the ones these decisions are often based on), and I'm sure a very attractive price point and the decision was probably pretty simple. When we went from DAK Sigs (9 and 357) to Glock 35s our marginal shooters scores improved. While there are certainly other points that can be argued on both sides (regarding ammo selection, brand, etc) that was an important consideration.

(I have no specific knowledge of DPS experiences, just speculating based on my experiences with my agency)

brickboy240
12-30-13, 10:16
If the M&P9 full size accuracy issues have been put to bed...this is not a bad choice. Austin PD went to the M&P and seems to be happy with it.

The 9mm comments on that site are laughable. Maybe 20 years ago...a case could have been made for sticking with a 40 or 45 but not with today's 9mm loads. Some of those commenters are living in the past.

-brickboy240

TriggerTX
12-30-13, 11:07
If the M&P9 full size accuracy issues have been put to bed...this is not a bad choice. Austin PD went to the M&P and seems to be happy with it.

The 9mm comments on that site are laughable. Maybe 20 years ago...a case could have been made for sticking with a 40 or 45 but not with today's 9mm loads. Some of those commenters are living in the past.

-brickboy240

Yes sir... The APD went to the M&P back around last fall or so and my brother hasnt mentioned any problems....