PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my next 9mm compact handgun.. I'm overwhelmed..

Shao
12-28-13, 08:31
So I've decided that I don't need another AR right now. I want a new handgun. I sold all of my nines and have decided that I want one of these new darn-fangled single stack (would do double if thin enough) slim compact 9mms that are hitting the market. I haven't kept up with new handguns in years and after hours of research on the internet I'm still at square one. I can't seem to find one that has everything I want.

My requirement list:
S/A trigger with manual safety (but would settle for short resetting light D/A) (max 7-8 lbs.)
Aluminum or steel frame
<4.1" height
minimum 7 round capacity
under 23 oz weight
1" max thickness
Fool-proof reliablity
A decent selection of aftermarket parts and accessories
Not a Kahr, Rorbaugh, Kel-Tec, Taurus or Ruger
Real sights
Ability to eat any 9mm ammo I feed it

Does such a beast exist? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

scoutchris
12-28-13, 08:53
Nope!

gunnut284
12-28-13, 09:00
I don't know about all of those but the general list suggests a Sig P938 might interest you. Don't know about reliability or aftermarket support yet but it hits or is close to most of those.

ARonBoard
12-28-13, 09:17
The biggest hurdle IMO is aluminum/steel frame and under 19oz.

I've seen a couple EMPs get good results but with a good amount of tuning.

I don't have experience with micro sigs but the old Sig would have produced a great one. Just not sure about the new company.

Amur
12-28-13, 09:28
Kimber solo???

Only holds 6 rounds?

States it s only deigned for premium ammo:(

It's a kimber :(

pinzgauer
12-28-13, 09:43
Good luck with your search...

Interesting that you lumped Kahr in with Taurus and Kel-tec, very different pistols and Kahr has been doing thin single stacks well longer than just about anyone.

Revolver type smooth DA's are an acquired taste, but really open up your carry options. Ie: I won't pocket carry external safety or Glock style trigger safety pistols.

Same for excluding Poly frames while wanting light weight.

Shao
12-28-13, 10:36
Ok, so I realized 19 oz. with an aluminum frame in 9mm was stretching it so I upped it to 23 oz. But then I checked out the P938 - 16 oz. with magazine! It seems to fit the bill. Only problem being is that I already own a P238 and they seem to be basically the same gun. I was hoping for variety, but weapons familiarity is a big plus and I was raised a 1911 guy. Are the new Sigs that much worse than the old ones? My P238 and M400 have been flawless. Does anyone own a Sig P224 that they can give some feedback on? That one looks interesting even though it's a bit chunkier than I'd like.

Edit: The Kahr thing was redundant anyway, I don't believe they make anything but polymer framed pistols, do they? I'd take a Kahr over those other brands any day, but just not a big fan of their guns.

Hmac
12-28-13, 11:08
Never mind. I was going to say Walther PPS, but then saw the steel frame and manual safety criteria.

http://cdn1.waltherarms.com/wp-content/uploads/overview2.png

ARonBoard
12-28-13, 11:23
Kahr does have an all stainless compact gun called the MK9 and a nice looking elite version.

It is 6+1 or 7+1 with extended finger mag and 24oz.

I am personally not a fan of Kahrs but if you are then it's out there as an option.

og556
12-28-13, 11:49
I would recommend the Springfield EMP 9MM. I shot one that belongs to a friend and it was a great little pistol. Excellent accuracy as well as good ergonomics for such small gun for someone who has larger hands.

The only thing that keeps me from buying one is the price point.

YVK
12-28-13, 12:34
Edit: The Kahr thing was redundant anyway, I don't believe they make anything but polymer framed pistols, do they? I'd take a Kahr over those other brands any day, but just not a big fan of their guns.

I have an all-steel Kahr MK9 for this role. When I say it disappears in appendix holster, I mean disappears. I am talking wearing slim fit pants etc. Mine has a sweetest sub-7 lbs trigger and is dead on accurate. It has an option for CT grips.

It is too heavy for pockets, but it shoots softer than Shield etc. That's a trade-off for you to decide on.

No malfunctions to date through some 500 rounds, but I didn't like how the last round in a mag ejected. I wasn't impressed with Kahr techs reading comprehension, but it got fixed relatively fast and on their dime, including shipping. I've heard some people did have to pick shipping costs when sending theirs for repair.

Between shootability and capability of sustaining reasonable volumes of practice it is really an only option for me besides the PPS, but the latter is bigger and I dont like its mags.

SkiDevil
12-28-13, 14:21
You did not list a budget, but two choices came to mind.

Nighthawk Custom 1911 T4 9mm

link: http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/t4.html

Second possibility: HK P7M8 or PSP
Link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_P7

Although, personally for a compact 9mm pistol which is utterly reliable and fires most types of ammo I would look at an HK USP or P series compact in 9mm, a SIG 228 or 229 in 9mm, or a Glock 19.

I have owned, shot, carried all these models, except for the Nighthawk. I have no experience with their 9mm models. Plus, the price is a little on the steep side for me.

After looking at several models, my compact carry gun is an HK USPC 9mm. The pistol is utterly reliable, accurate, compact, and shoots whatever I load into the magazine. It can even be carried cocked and locked, but I carry mine with the hammer down and safety engaged.

Good luck in your search.

okie john
12-29-13, 01:02
I haven't kept up with new handguns in years and after hours of research on the internet I'm still at square one. I can't seem to find one that has everything I want.

I see a couple of problems here.

First, no pistol made today meets your criteria because few gun makers focus on designs with a mix of metal frame, SA trigger, and thumb safety. Instead, most of them focus on polymer frame/striker-fired guns, with thumb safeties only when required for import or for volume sales where safeties are required by regulation. Aside from the Shield and a few Kahr models, nobody mass-produces a truly solid single-stack compact or subcompact 9mm pistol at all.

Second, I’m not sure that you’re asking the right question.

If you’ve been away from pistol shooting for years, then you’ve missed a lot of key developments. Loading your lightweight Commander with 230-grain Hydra-Shok and slipping it into your Summer Special is no longer the standard, and you’ll need some trigger time to truly appreciate the changes.

I’d start by shooting the guns that serious shooters will refer to as they answer your questions: the G17/19/26, the M&P 9 FS, Compact/Subcompact, the Walther PPQ, and the HK P2000 and P30 with LEM triggers. Definitely shoot the S&W Shield and the Walther PPS side by side on the same day. If time and money permit, shoot the new Ruger models, plus the FNX and FNS. And for a baseline, shoot a 357 J-frame revolver with +P 38 Special and full-power 357 ammo. Once you’ve put a few hundred rounds through those guns, the opinions expressed here will make more sense. You’ll also be far better equipped to wade through the opinions you hear in gun shops and online forums.

When you test these pistols, don’t just pop off a few rounds at a target 10 feet away and think you've learned something. As the guns get smaller, you’ll find a clear line between what you can stand and what you can’t. (The 357 J-frame with hot ammo helps most people understand this line more clearly.) Once you narrow the field, shoot several hundred rounds on speed and accuracy drills with a timer. Then you'll have an idea of what can work for you and what's never gonna fly.

Also study holsters and methods of carry. Any pistol conceals better in a Kydex AIWB rig that it does in a Kramer #3 at four o'clock.

Finally, can you tell us what you plan to do with this pistol? We can give you a lot better advice once we know that.

Okie John

PS Your "real sights" requirement should actually fall into the aftermarket category. No gun maker gets it right for everyone, so expect to replace the factory sights with something you like. Of course, you'll have to figure out what that is, and that will be a separate quest.

pat701
12-31-13, 08:57
Look/feel a Sig P239 in 9mm:cool:

coastwatcher42
12-31-13, 15:40
How about a CZ 75D? It's a little heavier than you specified but it's a proven design.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384879347

handlebar
01-04-14, 11:24
I use the S&W Shield in 9mm or the SIG P290RS for carry. Both are good choices.

ptmccain
01-04-14, 11:38
compact? Not sub-compact?

Glock 19. End of story.

Hmac
01-04-14, 14:10
compact? Not sub-compact?

Glock 19. End of story.

The Glock 19 could be an OK choice size-wise. But it's only about 1/8 inch shorter in the grip than a PPQ, weighs the same, is roughly the same price, and isn't nearly as good a firearm in my opinion, owning both.

Dr Dues
01-05-14, 08:07
So I've decided that I don't need another AR right now. I want a new handgun. I sold all of my nines and have decided that I want one of these new darn-fangled single stack (would do double if thin enough) slim compact 9mms that are hitting the market. I haven't kept up with new handguns in years and after hours of research on the internet I'm still at square one. I can't seem to find one that has everything I want.

My requirement list:
S/A trigger with manual safety (but would settle for short resetting light D/A) (max 7-8 lbs.)
Aluminum or steel frame
<4.1" height(4.6")
minimum 7 round capacity(11rds)
under 23 oz weight(26oz)
1" max thickness(1.3")
Fool-proof reliablity
A decent selection of aftermarket parts and accessories
Not a Kahr, Rorbaugh, Kel-Tec, Taurus or Ruger
Real sights
Ability to eat any 9mm ammo I feed it

Does such a beast exist? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

With the given desired characteristics, My suggestion would be the HK P2000sk V1. It's all a compromise.
The red highlights would be my absolutes.
Happy hunting...

deserteaglexxx
01-05-14, 08:36
Shield

Pappabear
01-05-14, 10:36
Nope. That being said, the Shield or if you can go a little bigger is P30 light LEM with Night Sights. That gun might be perfect CCW gun.