PDA

View Full Version : If you had it to do all over again.

Pages : [1] 2

Talon167
12-28-13, 17:25
If you could go back to your younger self and explain to him or her all the things you currently know about handguns, including your own experiences, what would you tell yourself to buy?

Like most of you, I’ve owned a lot of guns… some have worked out great and others not as well. Some I really enjoy and still have but wouldn’t buy again. We all have platforms, companies, and various attributes about particular guns we like but sometimes we don’t know that until we try them. Sometimes at the cost of hundreds or thousands of dollars.

So if you had it to do over again, what would you tell yourself to buy in order to avoid any costly experiments/mistakes, etc?

-I think I’d end up with two (maybe three) P30 V1 handguns, one for training and one for carry.
-Gotta have a 1911 and I like my SA Operator a lot so I’ll stick with that.
-A USP45 to use and abuse.
-A G17, just because.
-A G27 for summer carry (I can conceal OWB in a Raven with a t-shirt).
-An X300U and an X400U
-Raven gear for all of them.
-All defense guns loaded with HSTs or Gold Dots

That would be about it. I could be very happy with those. I know some of you could knock it down to less and some would want more stuff. Nothing wrong with either!

All the other money I’ve spent on other guns and such I would put towards training, mags, and ammo, which is exactly what I’ve been doing for the past few years. Every time I think I want another gun I buy that amount worth of ammo or sign up for a training class. I, like most, have found this to be ideal way to efficiently spend my money. Kind of wish I could go back and tell my younger self that. Would have saved me a bunch of effort. :dirol:

montanadave
12-28-13, 17:49
I wish I had grabbed up a half dozen Colt Pythons the year I got outta high school ('77). :)

brushy bill
12-28-13, 18:07
3 Gen 2 Glock 19s for handguns along with earlier spare parts (no MIM). Nothing else needed. Carry, practice, and spare. Otherwise, I'd add 6920 Colt, parts & mags, Rem 870P and parts.

warpedcamshaft
12-28-13, 18:27
S&W 442 or 642 with a Crimson Trace for pocket carry/back up.

2 Glock 19's and 1 Glock 26 (With grip force adapters to protect me from slide bite)

OR

2 HK P30's and 1 HK P2000sk (LEM triggers)

OR

2 M&P9 fullsize and 1 M&P9c (As long as I could confirm the precision of the M&P 9 fullsizes)

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-28-13, 18:31
If I could really, really go back and rearrange my brain I would ....

1. S&W 642 with a Crimson Trace
2. 30-06 bolt action rifle with 2-12x scope.

And never waste my money and time on any other toys. Unfortunately, I love playing with toys far too much to be this practical.

Nippy
12-28-13, 19:14
If I were to go back in time this is what I would say.

1) Glock 19

a) $.25 trigger job and the trigger is done. Everything else is pretty much trying to polish a turd and a waste of money, glock trigger is glock trigger.
b) HD Trijicon NS and done.
c) Spend money on spare parts
d) If anything get another one, you don't shoot anything else.

2) RIA 1911

a) To scratch that itching for a 1911.

3) Holsters

Get custom holsters built to fit your body and needs. When I got mine made the guy (with heat gun in hand) watched me get in a car and out and do a whole bunch of everyday stuff. Best holster ever..

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-28-13, 19:16
Stick with 9mm.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

khc3
12-28-13, 19:18
I wouldn't waste my time w/ .45 or .40, just stick w/ 9mm from the start.

Edit, a little slow, lol

LoveAR
12-28-13, 19:31
Glock 19, HK USPc 9, HK P-30 9, higher end 1911 tuned by a PS...all mim replaced with tool steel. Two BCM ARs.

davidjinks
12-28-13, 19:41
Deleted

bluejackets92fs
12-28-13, 20:43
I wish I would have learned my lesson, that I hate the Glock 23, after buying and selling about a half dozen of them. Well, anything in 40S&W for that matter.

My first carry setup was a Glock 26 with Meprolight night sights and in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I don't look back and really regret anything thing in my handgun purchase history other than the Glock 23 fiasco and maybe the USP Compact 9mm I had.

Hmac
12-28-13, 20:46
I would have skipped wasting money on buying a Glock 19 and bought an additional PPQ instead.

LoveAR
12-28-13, 21:27
I would have skipped wasting money on buying a Glock 19 and bought an additional PPQ instead.

What happened? Hard to beat a G19.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-28-13, 21:48
Really, really hard to beat a PPQ

LoveAR
12-28-13, 21:56

OK…guess I need to get a PPQ.

SteveL
12-28-13, 22:12
I would just tell myself to get a G19 to get by with until the PPQ hit the market. Then buy three or four of them and be done with it.

Pappabear
12-28-13, 22:26
My advice: not so different than yours Talon
Buy HK handguns and learn to use them.
Nothing will ever shoot and handle like a 1911, you gotta have a nice one.
Buy a 55 gallon drum, for your holsters. Yea fill it with Ravens
Buy sure fire flashlights
Learn to reload
Buy a Rem 700 bolt gun and stack an NXS on it.

Rekkr870
12-28-13, 22:33
1. Stick with 9mm. Preferably Glock 17's or 19's.

2. Buy mags for said glock handguns.

3. The Sig P226 is a great handgun to have.

4. Skip mediocre holsters, get a Raven or Bravo from the get go.

5. Latest and greatest doesn't mean better .

Just my advice to my former self.

LightningFast
12-28-13, 22:33
1. Skip every 1911 except for Wilson Combat.
2. Skip M&Ps.
3. Don't be afraid of DA/SA guns.
4. Don't buy that Five-Seven. Sure, it's fun. But, a big waste of your money.

YVK
12-28-13, 22:37
If I could redo it, I would start with good DA/SA guns like Sigs or Beretta G-models in 9 mm, and get into competition earlier instead of accumulating "tactical" classes.

kevN
12-28-13, 23:07
9mm Glock Pistols
parts
ammo

warpedcamshaft
12-28-13, 23:17

I guess I already posted once and mentioned some other pistols... However... I have a PPQ M1, and it is really, really good... A couple PPQ's and a J-Frame would be more than adequate for me as well.

Hmac
12-29-13, 00:14
What happened? Hard to beat a G19.

My G19 had the famous BTF issue. I bought the PPQ so I could have a functional striker-fired pistol. After I got the Glock fixed, I realized that even a working G19 isn't really in the same league as the PPQ, especially at the same price point.

walkin' trails
12-29-13, 01:45
I would have stayed with Glock 9mms and not waisted time with 40s. I should have kept the Colt Diamondback and the S*&W 940. I would have bought every cheap, unwanted three inch Model 13/65 I could find, and spent serious time working with 1911s.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

G19A3
12-29-13, 03:18
This is a great thread...definitely has potential to go many pages.

For me, I would have skipped my brief .40 experiment. (Multiple G23's and G27's / MK40)

Started on G19's, tried the above .40's, tried G17's, full circle back to G19's.

Should have kept my Seecamp 32 instead of upgrading to 380 (major ouch recoil factor).

c3006
12-29-13, 03:50
I would buy a Glock 17 and a Ruger 22 pistol and then hire a couple of good bodyguards with all the money I made by starting Facebook first.

Blstr88
12-29-13, 03:54
1. Bypass .40 S&W altogether - go straight to 9mm and then dabble in .45 later on.
2. Don't waste your time with Glocks, you'll never shoot them well or learn to like them...just forget about it now

Overall other than those 2 mistakes I dont have any real regrets, I'm quite happy with my Beretta and HK's.

As someone else mentioned above, I'd tell myself to get into competition shooting sooner, specifically IDPA

PLCedeno
12-29-13, 07:03
I would not have wasted so much money and time on .40 S&W. I would have focused on the 9mm in Glock form. G17 only.

As far as my entry into the 1911 world, I would not have gotten the SA Loaded and had it customized-waste of money, purchased the Kimber or the S&W 1911-exercises in becoming too familiar with FedEx. The Colt 70 Series should not have been sent to second tier customizers on the cheap-my greatest regret.

Thought I didn't keep them; my Ruger .22's (pistols and rifle) and S&W 625 served their purpose-fun teaching tools.

Talon167
12-29-13, 07:59
Some good stuff in here, guys!

To expand on my original post, I would definitely get a third P30 V1. I decided I would want a backup for my beater/training gun just in case, and then of course the carry one.

I might even want a backup beater 45. A pair of USP45s would be great and last me a lifetime.

Omega Man
12-29-13, 08:10
There was a time i though the HK P30 would be my favorite pistol for the rest of my life. I also used to hate Glock's. Mainly because i had never tried one. I just hated Glock's due to them being so common. Once i actually shot a Glock 19, i knew it was for me. So now I'm down to a G19, a G17 and an M&P 9 FS. And this after having owned and shot HK's, Sig's, Walther, XD's, STI, Ed Brown, Kimber and others. As well as 45's and 40 S&W. Stiker fired polymer in 9mm is all i want or feel i need anymore.

beep
12-29-13, 08:22
I would avoid the pitfalls of the impulse buy. I am now in the process of streamlining the collection to just shoot instead of to just have and look at.

MistWolf
12-29-13, 09:26
Buy an HK91 for $600
Don't sell your Fox Stevens SXS 20 gauge
Buy AKs cheap and stack them deep. You'll make a fortune selling them later
Don't bother with Tasco, Bushnell or any other cheap scope. Go Leupold or better
Get the Leupold 3.5-10x, not the fixed 10x
DA/SA triggers suck
Keep the Remington-Rand
Make that deal for Dad's US&S
Put those M1 carbines on layaway for your sons
Buy that Anaconda in 45 Colt for $300
Buy a good Browning High Power
You still won't like Glocks
Get another Garand
Buy that 03-A3 with the C stock while they're still $300
Get the PTR in 7.62x39 for cheap shooting fun
You'll wish you bought a Galil or a Valmet
Sock away a few Colt SP101s
Get an early start on building FALs. Sock away those FAL kits selling for blow out prices. A few Imbel receivers too
Don't mess with Century Arms Inc
Stock up on ammo. Buy two, shoot one
Stock up on more ammo. Buy those cases
More reloading components
Shoot more. Take your sons out to shoot more
Be patient- the PPQ is coming. Buy two and more mags
Should have bought more PMags

ETA: I could probably compress the above down to this- Buy machineguns now, prices will skyrocket later. Don't get involved with crazy women

C4IGrant
12-29-13, 09:28
What I would change:

1. I would have NOT started learning to shoot (attending training classes) with a 1911. By learning on a gun with a single action 4LBS flat, short trigger, I screwed myself from being able to EASILY learn to shoot other guns.

2. I would have learned to shoot a DA/SA guns (SIG, Beretta, etc).

3. I wish I would have known what I know now about Glock's back then. Specifically understanding what the gun is dictating to me to and how to fix it.

4. I wish I would have practiced more of what I was learning in training classes (as I would have been a much better shooter faster).

5. I wish that I would have spent less time shooting AR's and more time shooting pistols.

What I am glad I did:

1. Attend a training class at Blackwater after getting out of the USN (as it sparked an interest in learning more about how to better defend myself with a firearm).

2. Having a great wife that bought me a WC CQB!

3. By going to training classes with the likes of Vickers and Hackathorn, I was shown the right way to do everything. On top of this, my general knowledge of firearms grew tremendously. Their friendship and contacts eventually opened so many business contacts for me that I cannot count them all. So I have nothing but positive experiences by attending shooting schools.

C4

jerrysimons
12-29-13, 09:44
3. I wish I would have known what I know now about Glock's back then. Specifically understanding what the gun is dictating to me to and how to fix it.

C4

Can you point me to some info so I can avoid this?
Thanks

C4IGrant
12-29-13, 10:08
Can you point me to some info so I can avoid this?
Thanks

Honestly, very little is written about it. When I teach classes, I cover all a lot of Glock problems in regards to shooting them well. On top of this, most instructors don't really discuss or know how to make people a better Glock shooter.

The two biggest things to understand about the Glock is that it is making it VERY easy (almost helping) right handed shooters shoot to the left (and to the right as a lefty). So you must concentrate on manipulating the trigger flat as possible. For me, I concentrate on feeling the RIGHT side of the trigger. Putting more finger into the trigger (close to or on the first joint) seems to help with this.

The second thing is the hard trigger reset. People tend to pull the trigger, hold it to the rear until the gun is back on target and then let it out. In this manner, they will never be able to shoot the gun FAST and ACCURATELY as they are out of rhythm. Another issue is that people shoot to trigger reset VS trigger recovery. Meaning that they will only let the trigger go out far enough for it to reset. This can cause all kinds of issues when attempting to shoot faster (like short stroking, spending time looking for the exact reset point and being out of rhythm).

Much of this is hard to articulate in the written word without being able to demonstrate it in person (sorry if it is confusing).

One last comment about Glock's. If you have a loose fitting slide to barrel fit (can put a .004 or above feeler gauge between the two), I can almost guarantee that your gun will shoot high at distance (15yds and out). The reason is because the barrel is unlocking early and tilting up BEFORE the bullet has left the barrel. The only way to fix this is to buy a tighter fitting barrel or go with adjustable sights (and a taller front sight).

C4

Guinnessman
12-29-13, 10:21
1. Avoid .40 S&W at all costs. I once owned a .40 USP, P2000SK, and Glock 23.
2. I wish I would have bought more Glock 17 and 19's prior to 2008
3. The Kimber is a $1000 paperweight
4. I should have started training sooner. My first "Ah Ha" moment was in 2010.
5. Should have never sold my first J-frame.

hogarth
12-29-13, 10:50
If I had to do it over again, I would have bought Glock 26, 19, and 17 from the getgo, and then a J Frame. Then maybe a CZ82 with my C&R and get some training.

BOOSTjunkie
12-29-13, 11:48
starting all over again, i would skip over all my .40 glock acquisitions and go directly to 9mm. that was a lesson that took a while for me to learn and now i have several glocks that i never use.

Hmac
12-29-13, 12:08
Honestly, very little is written about it. When I teach classes, I cover all a lot of Glock problems in regards to shooting them well. On top of this, most instructors don't really discuss or know how to make people a better Glock shooter.

Louis Awerbuck spends about the first hour of day 1 discussing Glocks, their problems, how to shoot them, how to correct the shooting problems they instill. Last course I took from him, he even listed the name and phone number of the guy to talk to at Glock when you gun malfunctions.

Vec
12-29-13, 12:25
If i could go back to my late 80's self i would say to keep that G20 and forget about all those other handguns i have bought shot and sold over the years.
I have a G21 now and still dont like it as well as i did that first gen G20

Voodoo_Man
12-29-13, 12:39
I had some pretty awesome guidance when I was getting into firearms and training.

If I were to go back and tell myself something that I know now, it would be **** what people tell you judge them for their actions, train your ass off and you won't just outshoot people, you will outperform them. Use what comes natural to you, don't think because it works for someone does not mean it will work for you.

After all that train, train and train some more

Pi3
12-29-13, 13:04
Back in the day I would have gotten a 1990 west german sig 226 & 228 9mm w/ k kote finish, adding dot over dot night sights & ctc laser grips when they came on the market.

Phillygunguy
12-29-13, 13:07
If I had to it over I wish I got interested in owning a firearm when I was much younger Id go back in time to 1988 when I was 21 and buy a Glock 17 and later a G19, a couple of Colt ARs and tons of magazines and ammo and training.

G19A3
12-29-13, 13:27
I wanted to add, if I could go back in time, my BIGGEST regret in firearms is putting a $2,000 deposit on two ARES Shrikes in 2002. Got my $2,000 back in 2013. If I deposited that money, which I would have, it would be worth $4,500 to $5,000 at the time of the refund. What a frustrating debacle.

Talon167
12-29-13, 15:07

The two biggest things to understand about the Glock is that it is making it VERY easy (almost helping) right handed shooters shoot to the left (and to the right as a lefty). So you must concentrate on manipulating the trigger flat as possible. For me, I concentrate on feeling the RIGHT side of the trigger. Putting more finger into the trigger (close to or on the first joint) seems to help with this.

The second thing is the hard trigger reset. People tend to pull the trigger, hold it to the rear until the gun is back on target and then let it out. In this manner, they will never be able to shoot the gun FAST and ACCURATELY as they are out of rhythm. Another issue is that people shoot to trigger reset VS trigger recovery. Meaning that they will only let the trigger go out far enough for it to reset. This can cause all kinds of issues when attempting to shoot faster (like short stroking, spending time looking for the exact reset point and being out of rhythm).

Much of this is hard to articulate in the written word without being able to demonstrate it in person (sorry if it is confusing).

One last comment about Glock's. If you have a loose fitting slide to barrel fit (can put a .004 or above feeler gauge between the two), I can almost guarantee that your gun will shoot high at distance (15yds and out). The reason is because the barrel is unlocking early and tilting up BEFORE the bullet has left the barrel. The only way to fix this is to buy a tighter fitting barrel or go with adjustable sights (and a taller front sight).

C4

Interesting. I've always though I shot my Glocks very well, but I am going try some of these techniques to improve. Thanks.

GNXII
12-29-13, 15:18
I would have never purchased S&W 3Rd Gen, Beretta 92F ("its a powerful & cool gun, it was in "Lethal Weapon") and a bunch of DA/SA guns. The learning curve was/is high with these guns. I should have went forward with a G17/19 combo buy at a LGS back in 1991 but I listened to the "Counter Commandos" and got a Colt Double Eagle that was horrendous in every shape & form. But what did I know?!? I guess you live & learn and now when someone asks me about buying there first pistol I always tell them to try before you buy, etc.

Trajan
12-29-13, 16:04
Honestly? Nothing. I was fortunate to find this site and researching before I bought anything. This site led me to Grant, Grant became a shooting mentor that put me on the right path.

I could possibly say avoid rifles entirely, but I think having an AR is a good thing to have around. Tool in the tool box.

C4IGrant
12-29-13, 18:07
Louis Awerbuck spends about the first hour of day 1 discussing Glocks, their problems, how to shoot them, how to correct the shooting problems they instill. Last course I took from him, he even listed the name and phone number of the guy to talk to at Glock when you gun malfunctions.

Cool! There's one.

C4

C4IGrant
12-29-13, 18:10
Interesting. I've always though I shot my Glocks very well, but I am going try some of these techniques to improve. Thanks.

You might shoot them well. One simple test is to run the 10/10/10 drill. If you shoot a 90 or above on this drill (cold), you most likely shoot your Glock well. Just make sure to check its POA/POI at 25yds.

C4

C4IGrant
12-29-13, 18:12
Honestly? Nothing. I was fortunate to find this site and researching before I bought anything. This site led me to Grant, Grant became a shooting mentor that put me on the right path.

I could possibly say avoid rifles entirely, but I think having an AR is a good thing to have around. Tool in the tool box.

I am glad I could help. Honestly, I wish I had "me" (now) when I started shooting. I did not and made a truck load of stupid mistakes.

C4

Outlander Systems
12-29-13, 18:26
Simple:

"Dude, buy ONE gun. Spend the rest on training."

Doublestack45
12-29-13, 19:23
Wish I had known about this wonderful community, and its depth of collective knowledge before my initial purchases.
My collection of Glocks in 9 mm has grown after swallowing pride and much "studying" here. While I may never meet
those who have helped me the most- I sincerely thank you for steering me in the right direction!

The_War_Wagon
12-29-13, 19:51
I carried a S&W 1006 for 12 years with no issues whatsoever. 9/11, combined with Smith's recent decision at the time, to STOP making the 1006, made me think of the need to standardize on A caliber and A singular design for my sidearms. So I moved over permanently to 1911's in .45. My fear at that time also was, that the 10mm was a "dying" cartridge, and commerical loads would eventually dry up for it - sorta like the .41AE and .41 Magnum.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW... it seems the 10mm is holding its own, and the S&W 1006 in particular, has stood the test of time as a quality firearm (to which I can attest - the only thing I ever had to replace in 12 years of carrying it, was EMPTY mags :cool: ). I might go back to 2003, and tell myself to keep the old 1006 after all...

JW1069
12-29-13, 19:55
In hindsight, I should have stopped at the first SIG (a P226 9mm) and not bought another. Rather than wasting money on multiple caliber pistols and multiple barrel conversions, I should have bought ammo. Pallets and pallets of ammo. Then, I should have settled on a couple of polymer pistols and shot the living daylights out of them.

Live and learn. I've consolidated to 9 mm almost exclusively and shoot the same two pistols every range trip. Lo and behold, I'm getting better. Funny how that works.

heat-ar
12-29-13, 20:08
I like my glock g17 9mm - I love my PPQ 9mm. And if i had it to do over i would have started a company building sights for a ppq lol.

Maineshooter
12-29-13, 20:31
My advice would be really simple - acquire only, never sell. I have kicked myself in the ass so many times over the years for selling guns that, looking back, I would really love to have now.

ra2bach
12-30-13, 12:13
I would have focused on one caliber and platform earlier and bought multiples of the same gun instead of the flavor of the week.

in my case 9mm is what I have settled on but every man needs one good 1911 (with spare parts)...

Talon167
12-30-13, 14:21
Simple:

"Dude, buy ONE gun. Spend the rest on training."

Do you mean literally one gun, or multiple guns of the same make/model. I'm guessing the latter.

My advice would be really simple - acquire only, never sell. I have kicked myself in the ass so many times over the years for selling guns that, looking back, I would really love to have now.

Hmmm, interesting. I've sold a few off simply because they weren't getting enough attention.

One of the reasons I started this thread. I was on a small gun buying click years ago. I could go shooting twice a month and never shoot the same one twice. I had too many (yea yea yea). I decided to unload some to pay for more ammo and training classes. I've been very fortunate to have highly regarded instructors conduct classes near where I live. As most of you probably know, these three day classes are typically $600-$700 each, plus ammo. I've take four classes now (three handgun and one carbine) and learned so much, and had a blast in the process.

Typically, when I sell a gun it's to help pay for another gun related purchase (ammo, scope, class, etc), so I see it as a lateral move. :dirol:

okie john
12-30-13, 14:32
If you could go back to your younger self and explain to him or her all the things you currently know about handguns, including your own experiences, what would you tell yourself to buy?

I'd tell my younger self four things.

Things change. Examine your assumptions constantly and be ready to grow.
Crowds and self-appointed leaders may not recognize a good thing when they see it, so experiment and learn for yourself.
Buy three G17s. Set them up identically: cut them to take G19 magazines, then add OEM (-) connectors, night sights, match barrels, and extended magazine catches. Replace all three of them when--not if--something better comes along.
Spend the rest of your shooting budget on ammo and training from former Tier I people.

But my younger self wouldn't have listened.

Okie John

Doc Safari
12-30-13, 15:48
I would have kept a perfect Gen 2 G17 I had with night sights.

I'd not have sold that blued Ruger Service Six. I've never run across another one.

I would have realized that adopting the S&W J-frame as a carry gun does not cost one nearly as many man-points as carrying no gun at all.

I would have passed on any Spanish or South American made pistol.

HES
12-30-13, 16:22
I thought about saying something similar but then I chose not to. Why? Because each and every pistol I've owned has taught me something new. So while yes I could have saved my money before finally settling on the PPQ I would have wound up cheating myself of some much needed insight and education.

I will say that I would have bypassed the .40 all together

pat701
12-30-13, 17:57
For hand guns, i would have gotten a Sig P226 in 9mm over 20 years ago.

cwgibson
12-30-13, 18:04
1. Skip every 1911 except for Wilson Combat.
2. Skip M&Ps.
3. Don't be afraid of DA/SA guns.
4. Don't buy that Five-Seven. Sure, it's fun. But, a big waste of your money.

I bought a five-seven as well and wish I wouldn't have. Buying a PPQ was the best thing I have done and I hope to add another soon.

ScottsBad
12-30-13, 18:58
If you are talking about going back in time, but being able to buy stuff that is available now...? I'm currently loving the Walther PPQ M2. If I had to go back too some undefined time and place I guess I'd buy weapons that have gone up a lot in value. Otherwise, I have no regrets.

scoutchris
12-30-13, 19:43
As far as buying goes, I spent way too many years telling myself how superior the .40 is. I cannot freaking believe how many other people have posted the same thing. Also, whenever a manufacturer is comparing itself to another, just buy the other one. Don't buy a Taurus 1911. Don't buy a Taurus, no matter how cheap it is.

As far as knowledge goes, no handgun is infallible, but some are far less probe than others. Unless you have access to a serious smith or amount of money, the 1911 is neither practical nor reliable enough to knowingly take into combat. A round you put into a humans chest immediately is more practical than the round you try to put into a persons head a few seconds later.

As far as training goes, I was broken in correctly. Before I became a Sniper in the Army, I was taught to shoot 10 meter air rifles in JROTC by a former Force Recon Marine Scout/Sniper. The difference between shooting an air rifle at ten meters and a M110 at 800? 790 meters. The quietest guy is the one you need to listen to the most. Take your time- the first round I ever fired in combat was a 203 I was instructed to put into a third story window in Adhamiyah... It cleared the roof by about 4 inches.

Never fire twice from the same position. Ever.

Trust your gut.

Always have a Gerber multi-tool.

Two pound triggers are expensive, both in human lives and careers. Nothing takes the place of trigger control. A five pound trigger on my rifle in Iraq saved more than a few Iraqi lives, and my career. Take the time, you can't buy accuracy.

The boots they issue you are just fine.

There is no such thing as a mustache that is too thick.

Ensure you have acquired your natural point of aim. Every. Damn. Shot.

Know how to find your NPA, both when your are shooting, and when you are digging through your IFAK.

If you meet someone and they tell you how much they enjoyed killing people, they are either a liar or a psychopath.

Psalms144.1
12-31-13, 07:49
It would be this:

Step 1: Buy a G19 and two GOOD holsters - one OWB for daily carry, one kydex IWB for deeper concealment
Step 2: Buy all the ammunition you can afford
Step 3: Go to as many training classes as you can afford
Step 4: Repeat steps 2 & 3 until the G19 is shot to death, then buy a new G19 and start 2 & 3 again

Alternatively, I would happily replace the G19 with either a G17 with grip cut to G19 length; or a HK P2000 with LEM trigger.

Then I'd pick up a subcompact BUG - for me it's either the PM9 or 642, and work them into the training rotation.

ETA: #1 piece of advice - NEVER chase the "newest and greatest" equipment solution. Very rarely do they lead to any material improvement in skill or shootability...

Regards,

Kevin

125 mph
12-31-13, 10:01
I'd save up for a Wilson cqb, a remington 700, a colt 6920, order a dillon 550 and avoid gun shops for the rest of my life.

samuse
12-31-13, 10:37
I wish I would have had ONE Glock 19 to use through my high volume learning years to develop sound fundamentals and more advanced skill.

Then sell the POS and move directly to the custom 1911s I shoot now.

I've trained on and used pretty much every 9mm and several 40S&W service pistol. I hate all of 'em, they're cheap junk and a waste of time.

G19A3
12-31-13, 15:51
It would be this:

Step 1: Buy a G19 and two GOOD holsters - one OWB for daily carry, one kydex IWB for deeper concealment
Step 2: Buy all the ammunition you can afford
Step 3: Go to as many training classes as you can afford
Step 4: Repeat steps 2 & 3 until the G19 is shot to death, then buy a new G19 and start 2 & 3 again

Alternatively, I would happily replace the G19 with either a G17 with grip cut to G19 length; or a HK P2000 with LEM trigger.

Then I'd pick up a subcompact BUG - for me it's either the PM9 or 642, and work them into the training rotation.

ETA: #1 piece of advice - NEVER chase the "newest and greatest" equipment solution at least until they are vetted extensively over time. Very rarely do they lead to any material improvement in skill or shootability...

Regards,

Kevin

Fixed it for you.

Curly
12-31-13, 16:10
I would never have messed with a 1911 for anything more than for range use. Picking a single pistol based on what works, and spend my time using it is what I'd tell myself.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-31-13, 18:23
A Ruger 22/45 and 20,000 rounds of 22lr and GOOD practice and patience.

jmnielsen
12-31-13, 21:50
This is quite an interesting read. It's rather insightful and honestly, will be following a lot of these recommendations. Being only 22 YO my time spent with firearms pales in comparison to others and all of this information is very helpful. I've not sold many firearms but I regret selling all of them. I'm planning on:

1. Sticking with 9mm Glocks. I have one G19 and I would love a G17.

2. Not building oodles of ARs. I only need one with a scope and one with a RDS. I have bolt guns for other things.

3. Practice a lot more. Even if it's just shooting my .22s it is trigger time.

4. Save all my brass and reload so I can shoot more.

5. Not spend so much damn money on this hobby now so I have more money later. (although I get worried things will be too hard to acquire on later years and only see prices going up).

Talon167
01-01-14, 10:30
Another thing I thought of, but it's more AR related...

I would have told myself not to buy any cheapo red dots or scopes for my rifles. The first RDS and scope were cheap sh*t and didn't last more than a hundred rounds. The scope wouldn't hold a zero and the rds would shut off and need coaxing to turn back on. I would have told myself to save the money I used to buy those two POSs (probably $100 total), continue to save, and continue to use the irons until I could afford something worth its weight.

Frailer
01-01-14, 11:39
Start shooting action pistol games earlier.

Buy a metric boatload of ammo.

Quiet
01-01-14, 12:28
1. Get the Glock 19 as your first handgun (1995).
2. Don't go .40S&W, stick with 9x19mm and .45ACP.
3. Buy that H&K SP-89 for $1000, because you can sell it in the future for $4000-5000.

weggy
01-01-14, 13:02
Yeah, that's a no brainer! I'd have a lot of old S&Ws, a couple of old ARs, a pre '64 model 70 Winchester or two. And I would have kept all my Lionel trains!

KCBRUIN
01-01-14, 13:24
I would've skipped the G26, and started with the 19, then bought a 2nd 19.
I wouldn't have sold my USP .45
I would've skipped the CMMG rifle and started with BCM.

Talon167
01-01-14, 13:41
I also have like three or four Serpas I wish I could unbuy and replace them with Ravens or quality leather.

Pi3
01-01-14, 15:23
Starting from scratch I would get 2 9mm swmps-compact & long. Then a Colt 6720. After getting some training with those along with all the magazines, sights, lights, holsters, etc. I would get their .22 versions. Next would be a rem 700 in .308 & a 12 ga auto for hunting. The last thing would be a J frame pocket pistol. Then maybe an accurate .22 bolt action, perhaps a used Anschutz. Any additional purchases would be duplicates of the above.

Dos Cylindros
01-01-14, 15:29
I can't say that I would change much. I have traded or sold off several guns that I wish I had not, along with purchasing some guns which turned out to be a waste of time. Experimenting with different platforms and designs is part of the process I had to go through to get where I am at now. Resources such as this and other informative sites were not around or prevalent when I started shooting or when I started in law enforcement for that matter. Knowing what I know now it would either be the M&P platform or the HK P30 platform (in LEM) as my standard duty and defensive guns. I would have some "fun guns," along with a healthy stash of defensive and range ammo in 9mm. I would invest in as many spare mags as possible for my primary defensive guns, along with spare parts and the appropriate tools to maintain each platform. While acquiring this stash, I would attempt to obtain as much quality training as possible to supplement my skill. As far as the training goes, I have been very fortunate throughout my career to belong to some agencies that have seen fit to pay my way through various training classes that were a huge benefit. These classes included multiple classes from Bill Jeans (now retired), armorers courses, range master school, entry school and various other job or assignment related courses. I am really looking forward to my upcoming Haley Strategic class in March of 2014.

fivestar51
01-02-14, 08:43
For many years, I never sold a gun. I just saved up to buy a new one. After getting married, then divorced, I had to sell most of my handguns just to make my bill payments.

If I could start over, Id remind myself over and over to never sell a gun... That's my only regret in regards to my firearm collection.

G19A3
01-02-14, 23:18
I thought you were going to say getting married would be your only regret......in regards to your firearm collection.:eek:

SteveS
01-02-14, 23:44
I would have purchased a dozen SKS when they were selling between $69.00 to $99.00 dollars each in the 1990s.

SteveS
01-02-14, 23:50
I thought you were going to say getting married would be your only regret......in regards to your firearm collection.:eek: My daughter has a horse. A mare! A most beautiful mare. Animals don't try fool you. Most horses will buck you off, some horses will buck you off and stomp you. My daughters mare will buck you off and stomp you, then she will try to eat you. If I had this mare when I was 9 years old I would have gelded myself.

fivestar51
01-03-14, 03:08
I thought you were going to say getting married would be your only regret......in regards to your firearm collection.:eek:

haha.....that too!

:)

scrappletaco
01-03-14, 10:29
Well being only 25yo and owning around 28 different handguns and only having one now(which I'm not happy with) I would say keep the glock 17 and buy even more mags and put a rmr on it and be done.

Then say get a g20 to setup for hunting out of state(live in pa) and get a 44 magnum for in state hunting. And get into reloading sooner

sent via snail mail

nick84
01-03-14, 11:07
Interesting reading you guys, thanks for sharing. A lot of you seem to regret trying various platforms and calibers. I guess I would say that, while I agree I could have spent the money better, I have to admit the truth about my younger self. Even if I could go back in time today, it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't trust what I know now without learning it the hard way. Lol. I wouldn't even believe myself from the future without trying.......:)

Pi3
01-03-14, 12:13
When I was young, I wanted a collection. Now, I want a set of tools with the same manual of arms or as few different manuals of arms as possible.

scrappletaco
01-03-14, 12:17
Very true on learning the hard way. The knowledge I've gained is incredable. I think of the money spent like paying for college only a lot more fun

sent via snail mail

G19A3
01-03-14, 15:58
When I was young, I wanted a collection. Now, I want a set of tools with the same manual of arms or as few different manuals of arms as possible.

+1. Regarding firearms.

Regarding women, your statement equally applies.

Pi3
01-03-14, 17:00
+1. Regarding firearms.

Regarding women, your statement equally applies.

On that subject, as they say: One's too many & several's not enough.

kaltblitz
01-03-14, 18:31
For practical purposes...

-Stick to 9mm and specifically Glocks for everything
-Buy a couple Beretta Elite's and send them to Langdon

On the whimsical side...
-Don't sell that Colt Black Army...send it to Bill Adair for a re-do before he passed away
-Buy a couple Colt Pythons and send them to Reeves Jungkind
-Stock pile those cheap Colt SAA's

JusticeM4
01-03-14, 19:20
Some great points in this thread.

Bypass .40 S&W altogether - go straight to 9mm and then dabble in .45 later on.
As someone else mentioned above, I'd tell myself to get into competition shooting sooner, specifically IDPA

I agree with both of these points. Switching calibers between 9mm/40 or 40/45 is a waste of time. Wish I should've stayed with 9mm only and increased my stockpile of ammo, instead of switching back and forth between 9mm and 40.

I need to get back into IDPA and 3-gun as well. Last year's panic/shortage really put a dent on the shooting events because ammo was hard to acquire. Planning to get back into shooting matches again hopefully this year.

C4

Thanks for the advice Grant. I've never been able to shoot my Glock's well, although I shoot other pistols a little better. I'll definitely give your suggestions a try at the next range session.

denn1911
01-03-14, 20:28
My biggest firearm regret is selling my Gen 1 G17 when I was in college. It still irks me to this day.

rsilvers
01-03-14, 21:31
I would tell myself to not get any guns that were not black. No chrome, stainless, or nickel.

Roy
01-03-14, 21:48
Would have skipped the 40cal obsession and ran all 9mm Glocks

Should have bought the P7M8 when I had the chance and bought a few more AKs before the crazy bumped price way up

Beerswimmer
01-03-14, 23:11
For the first 10 years I would have only bought ammo every paycheck to stockpile and only had a a stock G19, WASR-10, and Bushmaster AR with no sights!

Diesel44
01-04-14, 22:15
Would have my German made Sig 228, Glock 17, HK USP .45, Colt 1911, and Noveske M4 rifle. One more would be a quality precision .308. Can't forget a quality scattergun in 12Ga of course.

Oh, also stock up on as much ammo and magazines as you can.

rsilvers
01-04-14, 22:19
I would not have bought so many 308 bolt actions and just had maybe my Steyr Scout and a semi auto 308.

manbearpig
01-04-14, 22:31
Great thread. I wish I started with 9mm, would've saved some money.

exkc135driver
01-05-14, 00:58
If I could go back --

1. In the mid-80s I was at a gun show in a seaside town. There was a guy who had an HK91 with slimline forend, carry handle or port buffer (I forget which), and a dozen magazines. He wanted $500 for all of it. I didn’t buy it because I didn’t have $500.

I’d get the $500.

2. If memory serves, in the early 80s you could buy Pythons for $500-ish and Diamondbacks for $200-$250. I’d buy 2 or 3 of each.

3. Before we got divorced, I’d’ve tried to talk my wife into returning the Diamondback I gave her.

4. And most importantly, this:

Buy machineguns now, prices will skyrocket later. Don't get involved with crazy women

ztunelover
01-05-14, 01:35
Not to sound like an arrogant twit, but the only thing I would do differently is buy two P30L V1s instead of 1. Probably 3. I honestly don't think I could have gotten that one more right. That light LEM trigger is one unflattering B**ch but it does force correct fundamentals on the shooter to make good consistent hits, so it is one hell of a teacher. And the pistol itself is outstanding in reliability and durability. And the symmetrical ambidextrous setup is second to none in my personal opinion.

rsilvers
01-05-14, 06:59
That is one of my favorite pistols, but the Walther PPQ is at least as good, and almost 50% less expensive.

SteveS
01-05-14, 23:05
After much thought I would have shot 22 lr for several years and never try +p anything or 45 acp untill I mastered trigger control. My so called "manliness maybe even compensating" has developed the nasty handicap called flinchitis.

JeremyVG
01-07-14, 04:56
I'd stick with 9mm in Glock and Sig and put the money dumped into other stuff on training and more ammo.

jvg

Lost River
01-07-14, 09:38
If I could go back:

I would buy every 4" and 6.5" Model 29-2 .44 magnum I could get my hands on.

I would have built my custom 5" Model 29-2 .44 mag much, much earlier. It is pure perfection for an outdoorsman's sidearm in a country that has big toothy critters, as well as big tasty elk.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/023-3.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/023-3.jpg.html)

I would pick up every 5" Model 29 Classic and Classic DX I could find, at their original prices, instead of paying close to triple that on todays market.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/FiveInchNframes.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/FiveInchNframes.jpg.html)

I would also pick up a crate or 3 of those $79 SKS rifles they sold at the hardware store, along with the $70 cases of ammo.

Going back, with the advantage of a crystal ball, I would invest HUGE money in ammo. I used to get coffee cans that held 1400 200 grain LSWC .45 bullets for $30.

Pic:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/004-13.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/004-13.jpg.html)

Plus I would have picked up pallets of 9mm, back when it was $90 a thousand.

.22lr... I would have driven to the CCI plant in Lewiston Idaho with a horse trailer.... ;)

On the personal usage side, I have always been a Glock and 1911 guy, so not much would change there, except I would pick up some early LW Commanders, when they were not priced beyond reasonable.

On the 1911 side of the house I would not waste incredible amounts of $$ my young self really did not have on customizing 1911s. I would buy a Les Baer, exactly how I wanted it, buy a 5" Colt set up the exact same way for a back up, and a LW Commander. Those three 1911s would be it, and that would have saved me far north of $10,000.

One thing for sure: I would not buy so many different calibers. No .40s or 10mms.
I would only load for .38sp, 9mm, 44 magnum and .45 ACP. That is it.

I MUST comment about rifles. I have owned so many customized rifles and wasted so much money it makes me sick.
I would own exactly 2 heavy barrel, precision rifles. Both would be SAKO TRGs. A TRG 22 in .308 and a TRG 42 in .300 Win. Both topped with 5.5-22 Nightforce optics. That alone would have saved me a few annual salaries.

Bolt action hunting rifles would follow suit. I have had in excess of 30 hunting rifles. I pretty much always hunt with the same ones. Doing it over, I would stick with my current 20" Tikka T3 lite stainless .308 with the 2.5-10x24 compact Nightforce ( though since I started hunting in the 70s, they did not exist at the time). My heavy rifle would be a .300 Win, Sako or Tikka, with a 26" barrel, with muzzle brake, topped with a Nightforce 15X NXS. Those two rifles, plus a .223 in an AR platform would cover all my needs in the Rockies where I hunt and live.

A precision 18" SPR, topped with a NF 5.5-22, and a 16" very light Recce, with a Nightforce 2.5-10 would cover all my AR needs.

In summary,
I would have about 10% of the firearms that I own, 5 % of what I have owned. A minimal # of high quality, hard use guns. The extra Smith Model 29s, SKS rifles, Colt Woodsmans, etc would be purely for investment.

One other thing I have to mention,

Going back, I would have sobered up and graduated from college MUCH, MUCH sooner. I probably would ride bucking horses for my school still, but saddle bronc only. Those bareback horses tore the hell out of my body and 20 years later I feel it every day, especially when the weather is going to change. :)

Cheers all, and have a prosperous and adventuresome new year!

Sry0fcr
01-07-14, 15:56
Not going to break much new ground here but I'd tell myself to:

Skip the 1911
Buy a Glock 19 and a spare then train through riding the slide lock lever
HOARD THE CRAP out of 9mm since they're $5.99/box of 50
Add a glock 26 and Glock 34
Shoot IDPA

Tejasmtb
01-07-14, 19:51
Avoid those boutique rounds you messed with like .357SIG and .50GI.

Don't jump on the 40 S&W bandwagon, you'll end up selling all of them anyway.

You'll never like a Glock so don't buy one.

The Springfield XD stuff is ok but just skip straight ahead to the H&K pistols and be done with it.

Buy one 1911 and make sure it's a Wilson Combat.

Reloading is worth your time so start early on.

Don't buy that FNX Tactical because you'll just end up replacing it with the HK45ct.

Don't sell your CZ75B, it's the only 9mm you'll ever really need.

BigRed82
01-07-14, 22:22
I would have either kept my first 2nd gen glock 19 or the P2000 and bought nothing else other than thousand and thousands of rounds of 9mm at yesteryear's prices. Lack of "reasonably priced" ammo is my constant annoyance now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

txf15crewchief
01-08-14, 01:00
If I could go back, I would tell myself to avoid 1911s, they aren't worth the trouble. I would instead invest that money in an HK P2000 or P30 with LEM triggers in 9mm, a dump trunk full of ammo, and classes. I would not have sold that pristine 1971 S&W Model 19-3, never bothered with bolt guns I'd never shoot, buy a Colt 6720 and an Aimpoint and all the USGI 30 round magazines I could find. Then, because of how stubborn I am, remind myself yet again to avoid 1911s.

Schmidtty
01-08-14, 08:47
If I could go back...
1. I would tell myself to skip every .40, and .357 sig I ever looked at and stick more to 9mm and .45acp.
2. I would have convinced my dad not to sell that matching set of 4" and 6" .22lr Colt Diamondbacks he had.
3. I would have spent every last dollar on Black Hills Ammo .223 blem rounds when I could purchase them for about $120/1000.

xray 99
01-08-14, 19:35
I never would have traded my Colt Python for some semi I no longer own......

Gary1911A1
01-09-14, 10:37
If I could go back I would tell my 20 year old self to ignore most gun writers except for a few like Cooper so I wouldn't of purchased so many "gun of the month club", purchased quality 1911s', and blue steel S&W revolvers.

omgimdeadlolz
01-09-14, 14:20
If I could go back...
1. I would tell myself to skip every .40, and .357 sig I ever looked at and stick more to 9mm and .45acp.
2. I would have convinced my dad not to sell that matching set of 4" and 6" .22lr Colt Diamondbacks he had.
3. I would have spent every last dollar on Black Hills Ammo .223 blem rounds when I could purchase them for about $120/1000.

funny you brought this up, i seriously contemplated about buying a .40 s&w today.....until i saw your post ;p

c1steve
01-22-14, 22:23
I would have bought all the 9mm and .223 ammo I could possibly afford, then sold it later and paid off my student loans!
I never bought a .40, and after reading the above am glad I did not.

TehLlama
01-22-14, 22:40
Mostly dumb stuff - I needed to realize that 2 really nice 1911's trumps 4 pretty nice ones, but not to feel bad about being drunk and on GunBroker (might be luck, but I haven't regretted those purchases for a second).
The other one was that it's worth the money to test drive more pistols. I'm only now able to appreciate that a G19 with grip work and 10-8 sights is something I can shoot well, but I needed to get behind one for half an hour before I really understood why.

Vandal
01-22-14, 22:59
I would stick with 9mm and not let my young, 21 year old ego get to me 7 years ago when I just had to have .45ACP in my carry gun.
Always have a good 1911 in the stable, full size only. My Dan Wesson will never go anywhere.
On a more personal note, stick with Sig. I've spent a lot of money and haven't found anything that I can shoot as well or fits my hand like my P229.
Continue to avoid .40S&W, 10mm and .357Sig.
Bought ammo and mags before Sandy Hook.
Teach more people to shoot.

foxtrotx1
01-23-14, 01:29
Skip Glocks. The only one I shot well was the G26.
Learn DA/SA from the start, it makes you shoot everything else well and so many pistols offer it.
Walthers for Carry, 92's for fun and Comp.
GP100 for soft enjoyable target shooting.
Ruger 22 for plinking and teaching.
Lots of Beretta and PPQ mags.

Hapainwa
01-23-14, 02:43
Guns: Not to sell that Colt NM 1911 that I got for a $1 from a guy who wanted it cut up. THAT was stupid. Keep a 1911, just because it's got soul, but know that they're hard to shoot hard and keep running. Don't sell my Glock 17. Get 2 full sized 9mm M&P, extra parts, lots of ammo, and shoot the hell out of it. A Shield to pack on the warm days.

Training: Glad I learned on a DA/SA, but glad I don't have to carry one anymore. After taking a class from Vickers, I wished I had started my career off with a class like his. Shoot more competition to hone skills.

Big Bronze Rim
01-23-14, 08:26
Buy a Glock 19 sooner than I did for EDC. Don't buy a Mossberg 930SPX that I ultimately replaced with a Benelli M4. Don't buy a Kimber 1911. Buy an HK pistol sooner than I did. Skip .40 all together so I could have ended up at 9mm sooner than I did. Buy more guns before I had kids.

TMS951
01-23-14, 08:37
Days after my 21st birthday and went and bought a Gen2 Glock 17. Not a bad idea, especially at the time.

Had the Walther PPQ existed I would have told myself to go all in PPQ and skip Glock.

Years later I have 5 Glocks, 2 of them really don't work. But after 10 years of Glock I have dug myself a pretty deep hole.

Currently I am making the PPQ switch. I have 1 PPQ and 15 mags for it. Trying to figure out night sites, market seems pretty limited for these guns right now. I also have a 5" PPQ on order, if that doesn't show soon I'll just get a second 4" PPQ.

vereceleritas
01-23-14, 09:09
Walther PPQ M1 with Trijicon HD sights.
HK P7M13.

Cases of magazines and ammunition for both. RCS holsters for both. Threaded barrel and suppressor for the PPQ. And that's it for pistols.

I would tell myself that having a lot of guns is overrated and just costs you a lot of money for stuff you honestly don't use that often. Just stick with the basics and learn to use them well. Get into reloading pistol calibers and NFA items sooner. All that money I spent buying and selling guns I could've just used on a Dillon 550. I never jumped on the .40/10mm/357 Sig bandwagon so that was never an issue. Also never owned a Glock and I don't regret that one bit. Sigs and HK's have treated me well but I would just stick with what I shoot the most and be done with it. Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Straight Shooter
01-23-14, 09:11
Id tell myself I shoulda gotten into Glocks 10 years sooner. That I shoulda never bought that very early Kimber 1911. That all those grand old Colt revolvers I had access to anytime WERE good shooters, it was ME who at the time wasn't worth a damn with them. That I should have bought a few of the same. I would tell myself that, no matter how unaffordable they were to me, to make every effort to buy a couple of those gorgeous, deep blue S&W 27's, 29's, in the wood presentation cases. Id tell myself to pursue, with dogged perseverance, my interest in fast draw, and gunsmithing. But, most of all, Id tell myself to never forget how lucky, how so very, very lucky, I was, to have grown up in the time I did, when guns were still made right, ammo WAS affordable, I could & did shoot ANYTIME I wanted, as much as I wanted, nothing was "tactical" or "high speed", guns were steel and holsters leather, and I was a happy camper.

exkc135driver
01-23-14, 14:34
But, most of all, Id tell myself to never forget how lucky, how so very, very lucky, I was, to have grown up in the time I did, when guns were still made right, ammo WAS affordable, I could & did shoot ANYTIME I wanted, as much as I wanted, nothing was "tactical" or "high speed", guns were steel and holsters leather, and I was a happy camper.

... and anti-gun politicians were still mostly in the future. Yeah, should've savored those times mores than I did.

old grunt
01-23-14, 19:01
Two Colt Series 70 Gov't; 2 GLOCK 19's ;S&W 4" bull-barrel Model 10(or 64); Ruger SP101 3"(for the wife); Ruger LCR 357 (for me) and 45LC Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero; a 22 conversion kit for the GLOCK 19 *

* plenty of spare parts; magazines to keep them all running

Talon167
01-23-14, 19:05
It's interesting to see how many people are saying they prefer the PPQ over the Glock/M&P. I've never tried one... going to have to change that.

kerplode
01-23-14, 19:40
Knowing what I know today, if I had to do it all over, it would be this:
- Invest way more time and money in training.
- Don't sink a ton of time and money into a bunch of random guns just because I wanted to try them or wanted them for my collection
- Don't build a 'collection' of stuff...Too much effort to keep it all maintained and insured and so forth only to have it sit there.
- Make practice and training a priority when it comes to allocation of time.
- Instead of getting alternate caliber pairs (G19+G23 or B92+B96), just get two of the same in 9mm (or one...or none).
- Don't buy a $400 Marlin 336 and then spend another $800 on it because the sights were installed crooked at the factory (the end result is spectacular, but still...)
- Who needs a Glock20 or an FN FiveseveN or a Bond derringer or a stupid $2500 DSA FAL that I've had for 4 years and never fired...Not me, but there they are...

Man...I need to sell a bunch of stuff.

Rohardi
01-23-14, 20:48
For years I drank the HK cool-aid. It was bad. In the past year I have jumped ship to Glock. I've also made the switch from 45 ACP to 9mm I sold my HK45 and that almost funded 2 new Glocks at LE pricing. I couldn't be happier with the switch. I may pick up an HK45T in the future.... who knows...

SPDGG
01-23-14, 20:51
imho/fwiw, advice to myself for a do-over:

Spend less money on ____ & ____ & ____ & ____ & Multiplied by xxxxx & that.

Love shooting a 1911 .45ACP but . . . STICK with 9mm & ONE WEIGHT 124

- Buy a Glock 17: Add Sights; OWB Holster/Mag Pouches + Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo . . . . .
- Buy a Glock 19: Add Sights; IWB Holster; Carry Ammo + Train; Reload Ammo, Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo . . . . .
- Buy a Glock 26: Add Sights; IWB Holster; Carry Ammo + Train; Reload Ammo, Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo; Train; Reload Ammo . . . . .

^ Well maybe not reload but "buy" as it was cheaper back then to buy WWB/Bulk 9mm FMJ then reloading 9mm . . . . .
When I started pricing/time frame: * MAX OUT & SPEND EVERY FREE CENT on 9mm & stuff a Cargo Container for rainy days :)

* For me, the same applies for each shooting discipline: Long Range; AR; AK; etc. . . .
* Trying to apply the above, but . . . . .

RBid
01-23-14, 21:29
I'd have started with twin M&P 9s or Glock 19 Gen 4s, Trijicon HDs, Galco King Tuk holster, an actual gun belt, and Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST.

...and lots of training, right away.

glocktogo
01-23-14, 21:49
Since this would've been around 1984, I'd tell myself to get a Colt Gov't 1911 and have it customized to spec at the time, along with an ACE conversion unit to shoot the crap out of .22lr to save $$$. Get into Glocks as soon as they became available and stick with 1911's and Glocks from then on. About the only gun I'm currently interested in outside those two is a PPQ M2 Navy.

NIB
01-24-14, 03:03
I had it right with my first handgun, a 2nd Gen Glock 17. Instead of wasting money on dozens of other handguns I should have just bought a second Glock 17, about 100 magazines, lot's of spare parts, and lot's of ammo.

Bearded_Brometheus
01-24-14, 06:44
Days after my 21st birthday and went and bought a Gen2 Glock 17. Not a bad idea, especially at the time.

Had the Walther PPQ existed I would have told myself to go all in PPQ and skip Glock.

Years later I have 5 Glocks, 2 of them really don't work. But after 10 years of Glock I have dug myself a pretty deep hole.

Currently I am making the PPQ switch. I have 1 PPQ and 15 mags for it. Trying to figure out night sites, market seems pretty limited for these guns right now. I also have a 5" PPQ on order, if that doesn't show soon I'll just get a second 4" PPQ.

I'm currently putting my PPQ through its paces before it replaces the Glock as my carry gun, but I must say, it blows me away every time I shoot it.

Regarding sights, you could get the Dawson Precision rear & tritium front. The tritium is currently out of stock, but if you place the order for it they will make it (I was quoted 3-4 weeks). The rear is ready to ship, and currently is on my PPQ.

If you need/want a tritium front immediately, 10-8 has a tritium front for the PPQ available http://www.10-8performance.com/walther-ppq-front-sight/
Their rear will be ready in a little over a month.

Shao
01-24-14, 06:55
If I could do it all over again - I never would have sold my Series 70 Gold Cup, or my 80 series for that matter. I would have kept my Beretta 950BS (I miss that little bugger). I would have waited until the new scandium J-frames came out before buying an aluminum airweight, and I would have purchased holy crap tons of ammo and stockpiled when a seven year old could still afford to buy his own.

marZ1
01-24-14, 08:15
My biggest firearm regret is selling my Gen 1 G17 when I was in college. It still irks me to this day.

Plus one. Sold it to my brother who was supposed to give me first refusal. Didn't happen.

_Stormin_
01-24-14, 10:15
Ya know, I can say now, after some reflection, never would have traded/sold my G20 (I don't know why, but I just like 10mm). All I ended up doing was buying another one... Though it did end up leading to my first AR.

Other than that, maybe would have jumped on a pair of custom 1911's sooner. The wait times have not gotten shorter...

As far as handguns go, that's pretty much "the list."

ralph
01-24-14, 12:35
Knowing what I know today, if I had to do it all over, it would be this:
- Invest way more time and money in training.
- Don't sink a ton of time and money into a bunch of random guns just because I wanted to try them or wanted them for my collection
- Don't build a 'collection' of stuff...Too much effort to keep it all maintained and insured and so forth only to have it sit there.
- Make practice and training a priority when it comes to allocation of time.
- Instead of getting alternate caliber pairs (G19+G23 or B92+B96), just get two of the same in 9mm (or one...or none).
- Don't buy a $400 Marlin 336 and then spend another $800 on it because the sights were installed crooked at the factory (the end result is spectacular, but still...)
- Who needs a Glock20 or an FN FiveseveN or a Bond derringer or a stupid $2500 DSA FAL that I've had for 4 years and never fired...Not me, but there they are...

Man...I need to sell a bunch of stuff.

I hear ya.. You'll feel better when you do, I did just that a few years ago.. Sold 13 rifles, 6 handguns that I never used...Still have a couple rifles that could go down the road. Before xmas, I sold my last M&P.. a midsize.45, Just never shot it much after getting a HK45ct.. I've consolidated my "go to" pistols to HK's.. All light LEM guns..Now, I still have a few rifles, handguns that won't be sold,(Garands, '03,'03A3, 70 series Colt) But my days of "collecting" are over.. I'm primarily interested in rifles, and handguns that I can use, and that parts, mags, are available for, But lately, I'm much more interested in using, and improving with what I already have, I'm done chasing latest, and greatest widget... Since I reload, I take the proceeds from any sales and put them towards powder, primers, bullets. I already have plenty of brass.

GunBugBit
01-24-14, 14:11
I would have immediately started collecting 1911s; Hi-Powers; Colt, Ruger and Smith&Wesson Revolvers; Glocks. Most of this would have been beyond my budget, but I'd have more now if I'd started earlier.

TMS951
01-24-14, 16:01
Now that I really think about it buying a PPQ is unrealistic based on time frame.

What I would tell myself would be to have bout a Glock 19 and not a Glock 17. The 17 was no fun to carry, a 19 is quite easy to carry and is every bit as much the gun the 17 is.

and buy ammo, as much as I could afford. There are many things I have bought in the past years, other guns, car parts, knives, and the like. They all brought me pleasure, but many of them I would rather have in ammo at the price it would have been when I bought those other items.

Ever since the panic started and a little before I have been buying ammo when ever I see decent 9mm or 5.56 at a good price. In 20 years I fully epect 9mm to be 1$ a round or more. I fully expect ammo to be taxed like cigarettes, in the 3-400% levels

vincentk
01-24-14, 20:43
Simple. Start with a Glock 17 and get good with it. Don't money on a Ruger; buy once, cry once

ralph
01-25-14, 07:11
Looking back, If I had to do it all over again, I would've done the following...Buy every Colt python, 70 series 1911, I could afford, would've never sold the mint condition Smith-Corona '03A3, or the factory engraved BL-22 lever action I had. I regret selling those to this day, and that was over 30yrs ago. Would've never bought the Ruger mini-14 at the local shop in 1983, for $250, instead should've saved another $200 or so, and bought the HK91 in the rack above it, for $450...

01-25-14, 07:34
Get that HK P-7 M8 or M13 I could have bought 10 years ago but didn't. I had the money but misspent it on something I no longer have anyway.

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-25-14, 09:10
Learn DA/SA from the start, it makes you shoot everything else well and so many pistols offer it.

Me too. I read a lot of derper gun magazines in my early years and believed learning to shoot DA/SA guns was akin to attempting to perform open heart surgery with the little tools that come with the game Operation.

Oh yeah, I would've told myself to not read those derper gun magazines.

Guns-up.50
01-25-14, 10:04
If it we're me 2 p30s both Lem one and L . HK. 45c and definitely a g19.
I.just got a p30 and haven't had much time to shoot between the police academy and the -20 weather. But so far I love it specially being a south paw.

GNXII
01-25-14, 10:27
I just had this conversation with a buddy of mine…For me initially stick with the Sig P-2XX series in 9mm and 220 in .45ACP, forget the other cals (.380/25/32acp.40/10mm/357) and other manufactures( Beretta, S&W etc) especially since I shot the Sigs the best right out of the box. Nothing wrong with the others but one brand worked better for me and I should have stuck with it! Then eventually stick to Glocks and M&P as I find I shoot those better than the SiG. My revolver forays have not been distasteful but they just occupy space in the safe only once a year coming out.
My buddy on the other hand tried every cheap semi auto and revolver he could buy. He would say " I can buy two Rossi revolvers for that one S&W…" but of course only purchased one and it never worked right. Same thing with pistols, buy cheap then things break and he's stuck with a paperweight. Even worse was when an importer would fold and his guns were orphaned. About 3 years ago, we were cleaning out his safes for some renovation work in his basement and he "found" an early Gen 3 G-17 NIB that he got in a trade for a bunch of pistols/ revolvers/ barreled actions to an aspiring gunsmith who wanted to really learn his trade while his partner tried his hand at engraving on that freak show of a collection. After shooting the G17, he fell in love with it and will be selling the rest of his pile o' craptastic guns!!!

exkc135driver
01-25-14, 15:00
Three regrets I've seen a lot of in this thread:

1. I should never have sold my (fill in the blank);

2. I shouldn't have wasted my money buying HKs because HKs suck. I've switched to Glocks; and

3. I shouldn't have wasted my money buying Glocks because Glocks suck. I've switched to HKs.

Jellybean
01-25-14, 15:46
If I could do it all over again...

1) Investing in .40 cal.. Should've went straight to either 9mm or .45. But nooooo.... I wanted that one magical in-between do-all round.
2) After spending all sorts of time and money shooting every .40 handgun I could lay hands on (which was about every one every currently made) I decided on an M&P, only to rush out and buy an XDm. They're SO awesome! said the gun rags. They have a match barrel! said the gun rags. Buy one ASAP! said the gun rags.... Hated the damn thing. Needless to say, that was also about the time I lost all faith in gun magazines. :laugh:
Sooooo... instead of immediately going back to the M&P, I traded it for a G23 because I wanted something smaller for EDC. At that point I didn't really like Glocks, but I had had some luck with a G17, and figured I could make myself like Glocks again. Needless to say, the G23 was also hated.
FINALLY came to my senses, got the hell out of .40, switched to 9mm, and promptly bought an M&P9C.
If I had just bought the damn M&P in 9mm in the first place, I could have probably bought a second one with the money I overspent on the test-shoot rentals and XDm, and lost selling the G23 and .40 ammo. >:(

Thankfully, I came here pretty early in my gun buying, so I could learn from all you guys' mistakes before spending.... :)

hatidua
01-25-14, 19:12
Hindsight:

-probably should have kept the TRG-22 (.308)
-should not have dabbled with H&K, the six I had didn't scratch the itch
-should have never played with Remington 700's, they don't hold a candle to the Sako TRG's
-should not have sold the many Gen2 G19's...oh well
-should have stockpiled 9/223/.22 ammo like it was going out of style
-should have embraced .22 much earlier on, it has far more going for it than most realize
-should not have dumped untold fortunes into custom 1911's, they're nice, but they are gone with no tears
-should have gone the quality-over-quantity route sooner
-should have grasped the idea of a 'good revolver' concept a tad sooner...alas, the folly of youth.

Devildawg2531
01-26-14, 10:40
What I would change:

1. I would have NOT started learning to shoot (attending training classes) with a 1911. By learning on a gun with a single action 4LBS flat, short trigger, I screwed myself from being able to EASILY learn to shoot other guns.

2. I would have learned to shoot a DA/SA guns (SIG, Beretta, etc).

4. I wish I would have practiced more of what I was learning in training classes (as I would have been a much better shooter faster).

5. I wish that I would have spent less time shooting AR's and more time shooting pistols.

What I am glad I did:

1. Attend a training class at Blackwater after getting out of the USN (as it sparked an interest in learning more about how to better defend myself with a firearm).

2. Having a great wife that bought me a WC CQB!

3. By going to training classes with the likes of Vickers and Hackathorn, I was shown the right way to do everything. On top of this, my general knowledge of firearms grew tremendously. Their friendship and contacts eventually opened so many business contacts for me that I cannot count them all. So I have nothing but positive experiences by attending shooting schools.

C4

Lot's of great wisdom in these posts. Many things in life if I had known then what I know now.. For guns the largest would be skip the early 90's Sigma and go straight to Glock.

Grant - always like to read your sage advice. I'm curious about #5 regarding more time with postols and less with AR's? What is the reason for this?

From my perspective both my EDC pistol and my AR's fill very important but unique roles. I think that needing to use the CCW pistol skill is more likely but the severity of the situation requiring the AR much worse (home invasion, natural disaster, etc)

SuperDuty
01-26-14, 21:30
Don't sell a gun when you get frustrated with it. You'll regret it later.

wtturn
01-27-14, 13:00
Stick with the Glock 19 for a general purpose/CCW pistol. Buy a G34 for nightstand/competition/class pistol.

I had to learn the hard way. It went like this: Glock 19> Glock17> M&P 45> M&P 9FS> M&P 9c> HK P30LEM> Glock 19 Gen4 (current, and forever).

Start competing earlier. Don't waste ammo in the backyard just dicking around.

Buy every box of WWB 9mm I could find @ $20/box.

nimdabew
01-27-14, 14:42
I wish I had just purchased CZ's from the get go.

AZBoneCrusher
01-27-14, 21:44
I wish I had just purchased CZ's from the get go.

Ironically, buying my first 9mm a CZ 75B this week. Anyway, going back in time....

1) I would have started my firearms love affair back in the 1980's vs 2000's.
2) I would have never stop buying a box of ammo every paycheck back in 2000's.
3) I would have never encouraged my better-half to purchase a Taurus Judge Public Defender.....she now own my Ruger SP-101.

Thankful for the following:
1) Never owning a .40 Cal firearm.
2) First semi-auto was a Glock (own 3), now I really appreciate 1911s and CZs.
3) Selling my DPMS AR .223 for double last year, now own a Colt LE6920.
4) The internet (i.e. this forum and others, Youtube, etc.) for some basic research on almost every firearm know to man.

simonsez
01-27-14, 22:14
If I had it to do all over again I would buy once cry once. Buy quality the first time and you will save yourself money in the end.

beschatten
01-28-14, 20:11
So I'm 24 now, started buying and shooting at 21 so, advice to self would have been:

1) Just buy that 3,000 dollar Wilson CQB as a first handgun and be done with it. I ran in circles for a while chasing "this" and "that", making trades, selling, buying new guns because XYZ Guru said so. I learned what I liked and didn't like, but the 1911 was my first handgun, and that's what I ended up liking the most. Just lost a whole lot of coin to reassure that.

Worst example, buying G17, 19, and 26 all within a 4 month time span. That's a Dan Wesson Valor or Les Baer right there.

2)Buy 2 boxes of ammo every paycheck. Save one, shoot the other. Even when you were a poor college kid working part time.

Benito
01-28-14, 21:45
Good post. I beg your forgiveness for copying your format, but it's to good to pass up.
1) I would have started my firearms love affair back in the 1990's vs late 2000's.
2) I would have started buying a box of ammo every paycheck back in 2000's.
3) I would have never gotten a .40 S&W.
4) I would have never bought an IMI Baby Eagle for my first handgun. Don't ask.
5) Researched a LOT more, especially on sites like M4C before wading into buying crap.

Thankful for:
1) Trading .40's for quality 9mm handguns.
2) The interwebz, and sites like M4c.
3) Not getting into AR's until I thoroughly and obsessively researched the hell out of everything about them.
4) Not getting into piston AR's, especially at the primitive stage of their evolution, as I was strongly tempted to.

Ironically, buying my first 9mm a CZ 75B this week. Anyway, going back in time....

1) I would have started my firearms love affair back in the 1980's vs 2000's.
2) I would have never stop buying a box of ammo every paycheck back in 2000's.
3) I would have never encouraged my better-half to purchase a Taurus Judge Public Defender.....she now own my Ruger SP-101.

Thankful for the following:
1) Never owning a .40 Cal firearm.
2) First semi-auto was a Glock (own 3), now I really appreciate 1911s and CZs.
3) Selling my DPMS AR .223 for double last year, now own a Colt LE6920.
4) The internet (i.e. this forum and others, Youtube, etc.) for some basic research on almost every firearm know to man.

rauchman
01-29-14, 13:19
Lots of common themes here....

Would never have gotten .40's (Beretta 96 Centurian, Gen3 G22, CZ75, Gen4 G23, M&P40)
Would have bought an early/mid 90's Sig P228 or another P226
Would have bought another Gen2 G19
Would not have bought 2 XD's (and then sold)
Would have bought A LOT MORE AMMO when it was cheap
Would not have sold the BHP (although those funds purchased an SA 1911)
Would not have sold the 2nd HK P7
Would have bought A LOT MORE AMMO when it was cheap

Inuvik
01-29-14, 14:07
Started with a G19 instead of the Ruger KP 95 - the $200 savings wasin't worth it.

Buy LOTS of magazines prior to California's 10 round limit going into effect

Buy the S&W 629 I always wanted before the price went way up.

Insta-Gator
01-29-14, 14:18
Only handguns I've ever regretted buying were the two S&W J frame Featherweight pistols. Thought they would be good carry guns, but the pain of shooting them made them undesirable to shoot or carry.

Lots of guns have been purchased, sold, traded.

Wish I'd learned about Glocks sooner. Would probably own more of them. Great EDC workhorse.

I like my H&K USP 40 but it's a bulky beast, so it sits idle most of the time. For the money I should have bought a 1911 in .45 ACP.

Love my Kimber .45.

Wheel guns are sexy in a classical sense. I'd own more just for the collecting, if nothing else, if funds allowed.

Plumber237
01-29-14, 16:53
I'd tell my dumbass younger self to give up trying one of everything after I finished up LE skills and just stick with the glock system that I was intimately familiar with at that time. Buy a glock 17, 2 glock 19's, 2 S&W 442/642s, a shit ton of 17 mags, and a bunch of speedloaders/speedstrips. Spend the rest I wasted buying and selling on: 147 gr. ranger-t, a decent amount of corbon 110 gr. DPX, and spend the rest on 9 & .38spl range ammo.

AztecViking
01-29-14, 19:19
I wish I would've gotten into shooting much longer ago. It's become a passion of mine. I'm in my mid 30's and have only been shooting for 2 years now. My early mistakes were buying new guns rather than investing in ammo/reloading and training. I bought and sold 2 M&P 9's realizing I liked Glocks better, particularly Gen 4's. Never had an interest in .40, mainly due to price and that most of my research revealed it just didn't seem worth it. I hope to own a really nice 1911 in the future.

Dasho101
01-29-14, 19:32
Get 2 cz85s, 2 valmet m76s, get a Remington 700 in 300 win, and an 870. Get enough spare parts to last a life time. Stick with ranger ammo for the czs, stack deep with yugo ammo for the valmet, get an AI 1.5 for the 700 a high end ffp optic and develop the sweet load, knoxx stock for the 870. Than eventaly get cz p09s to replace the 85s

G19A3
01-30-14, 00:50
I'd tell my dumbass younger self to give up trying one of everything after I finished up LE skills and just stick with the glock system that I was intimately familiar with at that time. Buy a glock 17, 2 glock 19's, 2 S&W 442/642s, a shit ton of 17 mags, and a bunch of speedloaders/speedstrips. Spend the rest I wasted buying and selling on: 147 gr. ranger-t, a decent amount of corbon 110 gr. DPX, and spend the rest on 9 & .38spl range ammo.

I thought Ranger-T (as the best/one of the best) was superseded by Gold Dot 124gr +P (bonded and already existed) and Federal 147gr HST (which came after RA9T).

Am I mistaken?

Plumber237
01-30-14, 05:57
It may be slightly outdone by both, if you look on the winchester website, the barrier tests are very impressive...I'd put it up there with both HST & Gold Dot. For me, the reason I switched away from 147 gr. HST was cost and availability. One of the police supply places up in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area had ranger-t, at $20/box of 50 when I bought a bunch of it. At that time it was nearly half the price of the other two. From the testing I've seen and the little bit I've done (water jugs lined up, watermelon, concrete blocks, etc.), I have complete faith in the ranger-t.

Rockhopper
01-31-14, 01:01
Well I have only personally purchased 2 of the 16 or so firearms that I lost one time in a tragic boating accident. So I would not do too much different. Before I lost them I really only shot 3 calibers consistently. 9mm, .223, .270.

BuzzinSATX
01-31-14, 07:03

Like most of you, I’ve owned a lot of guns… some have worked out great and others not as well. Some I really enjoy and still have but wouldn’t buy again. We all have platforms, companies, and various attributes about particular guns we like but sometimes we don’t know that until we try them. Sometimes at the cost of hundreds or thousands of dollars.

So if you had it to do over again, what would you tell yourself to buy in order to avoid any costly experiments/mistakes, etc?

-I think I’d end up with two (maybe three) P30 V1 handguns, one for training and one for carry.
-Gotta have a 1911 and I like my SA Operator a lot so I’ll stick with that.
-A USP45 to use and abuse.
-A G17, just because.
-A G27 for summer carry (I can conceal OWB in a Raven with a t-shirt).
-An X300U and an X400U
-Raven gear for all of them.
-All defense guns loaded with HSTs or Gold Dots

That would be about it. I could be very happy with those. I know some of you could knock it down to less and some would want more stuff. Nothing wrong with either!

All the other money I’ve spent on other guns and such I would put towards training, mags, and ammo, which is exactly what I’ve been doing for the past few years. Every time I think I want another gun I buy that amount worth of ammo or sign up for a training class. I, like most, have found this to be ideal way to efficiently spend my money. Kind of wish I could go back and tell my younger self that. Would have saved me a bunch of effort. :dirol:

- Stick with quality firearms

- Always buy extra magazines

- NEVER-EVER-FOR ANY REASON....sell ANY Colt revolver!!!

HaydenB
02-01-14, 01:46
1) GLOCK 19 with warren sights
2) GLOCK 19 with warren sights
3) GLOCK 19 with warren sights
4) G-CODE INCOG and G-CODE XST
5) 50 mags and a shit ton of ammo

MoCop
02-02-14, 23:47
I'd tell my younger self to keep:
that near mint West German Sig P226
Smith and Wesson round butt 4" barrel 586
Single stack Beretta 92fs compact

And just save for everything else

Wreckingball911
02-03-14, 12:36
Quit wasting money on XDs, you'll eventually fall for Glock.

Also...go straight into the Army after high school. I'd be light years ahead right now if I'd done that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Achilles11B
02-04-14, 20:24
I would have started out with .45 from the get-go instead of 9mm. Not trying to start anything, but I shoot it better and enjoy the 1911 platform tremendously.

a1fabweld
02-05-14, 12:28
1: Quit spending so much money chasing high end p**sy. There are girls out there that will do more for less money & attention.
2: Never get into motorsports. Complete waste of money.
3: Shoot all the plastic guns available & pick the one that suits you best weather it be a Glock, XD, M&P, HK. They all go bang.
4: Don't compete in the long dick AR contest. Build a couple basic AR's & enjoy them while you watch your buddies dump thousands into theirs to keep up with the lame ass latest trends.
5: Invest in 223 & 308 surplus ammo because it's not getting any cheaper. Buy a shitload of it.
6: Invest heavily in 22LR because in 2013, you could retire off the profits.

mikeith
02-05-14, 15:46
I have to agree with all of these, minus the women one. i'm no "stud" but i've never hurt my wallet on trying to get high end puntag.

2, while it was some of the best times of my life is a money pit with NO roi except injuries that will hurt like hell with i get older

should have stuck with glock, had two when i was younger.... ventured into the m&p platform for a while and went back to glock.

same here on the AR pissing contest. i feel a guy really only needs 3-4 good ar's
primary rifle 14.5-16"
sbr 5.56
300blk (not even necessary really)
and a nice SPR for longer shooting

amen x1000 on the .22 comment!

eleven
02-05-14, 16:37

RIGPIG
02-05-14, 21:28
Hindsight is 20/20. I wouldn't do a thing different, or else I wouldn't have learned enough to appreciate the collection I have now :dirol:. I will say that my collection is comprised of only two brands now, Glock and STI, in 9mm, 40, and 45.

acaixguard
02-05-14, 22:01
Start out with a 9mm, and completely disregard the .40 completely.
Instead of a Sig .40 as my first pistol, start out with a Glock 19 (early Gen 3).
Not waste my time and money on any other DA/SA pistol
Not buy a Kimber as my first 1911.
Get a Colt as my first AR instead of a Bushmaster.
Buy the HK P7 when I had the chance.
Stock up on ammo when it was cheap.
Not shoot in pure Weaver stance just because that's what I saw in movies
And of course, start taking training courses earlier

DIRTMAN556
02-06-14, 20:04
A glock.

shakazulu12
02-07-14, 07:31
I wish I would have simply stuck with one platform. I've spent too much time hopping between platforms that could have been better invested in training and ammo.

Talon167
02-07-14, 11:30
I just thought of another thing I'd like to tell my past self: Buy a bigger safe, you're going to need it. Take the size you think you'll need, and double it.

Noodle
02-07-14, 15:19
Great thread!!
I have to say I would pretty much do it the same way if I had to start over.
- bought a very large safe early on
- sold or traded in many guns along the way, but I am happy with my collection now. I really enjoy the process of researching and buying new and used firearms, so the collection will continue to change.
- stocked up on ammo, especially .223 and 9mm, when it was cheap
- invested in quality optics
- got my son into firearms, so we have that in common

The one item I need to focus on more is training. More training is on the to do list.

SkyStorm82
02-07-14, 17:47
I'd tell myself to not bother with .40 caliber and to stick with .9mm and .45's for semi-autos only. I only have two handguns in .40 and for some reason, that caliber just annoys me to no end. S&W99 and a USP40c. Both among the earlier handguns I've bought.

l8apex
02-07-14, 17:49
I'd tell my self I not the sell the P7M8s, don't buy 1911s and stick w/ 2 G19s & G17s. With that said, everyone should at least own one 1911.;)

BigRed82
02-07-14, 20:58
I would tell myself to stick with the first or second quality handguns I ever purchased (in my case a P2000 and a 2nd Gen G19), whichever one, and just buy ammo and learn how to shoot it. I ended up selling both and going through a P226, P228, a G34, a G26, a Dan Wesson 1911CBOB (back when they were <$800), another G19, another G26, a used Wilson Combat CQB (for $1500, the one firearm I really regret selling), a G17, a PPQ, a third G19, and now a 2nd G17. Currently, I only own the last two and have finally admitted I have a problem and need to stop. I am sure that this is but a small list compared to many on this site. I also would tell myself to do the same thing with ARs. Ammo is where I should have been spending those funds. Back when it was cheaper. Live and learn though.

gruntjim
02-07-14, 21:10
Buy two P228's during that first tour in Germany.

Add two G19's and buy tons of magazines and a pallet of ammo.

Never deviate from 9mm, and work on real world skills.

Magic_Salad0892
02-08-14, 00:18
I would invested only in 1911s, instead of Glocks. And possibly either CZs, or shortened Hi-Powers for a 9x19mm platform.

eternal24k
03-24-14, 08:01
I would have waited and purchased a SCAR 16 and 17, spare parts, mags and plenty of ammo. I would have also stuck with 1 pistol platform, glock, Sig, walther, CZ or 1911.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ZGXtreme
03-24-14, 08:41
First and foremost; purchase more of any and everything prior to getting married.
Invested in 9mm Glocks, mags and ammo in addition to my .45 addiction. Just starting now so a little behind the times.
Get a Colt as my first AR instead of a Bushmaster. Quicly rectified this one.
Stock up on 6920's.
Stock up on ammo when it was cheap.
Picked up an Arsenal AK.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-24-14, 17:06
J-frame
Solid 1911, dehorned with good sights.
30-06

VT1032
03-24-14, 18:54
I would tell myself to actually shoot before buying. That would have saved me a lot of money. I would have kept my first handgun, a ratty old Beretta 92FS police trade in. It may have been beat up, but I have yet to find something that outshoots it for me. Sold it to a friend because I was 19 and wanted something "modern" and have regret it ever since... After that, I would skip the XDM, Sig P226, M&P9 x2, Glock 17, Glock 23 and just go with a glock 19 from the get go. Finally, I wouldn't screw around with budget AR's and would save my pennies for a 6920 from the start. Then take all the money I saved on handguns and buy a pallet of mags and ammo.

Dienekes
03-25-14, 01:09
Should have gone to Gunsite when it opened up instead of putting it off for years and spinning my wheels. Still, learned how to use my 1911s fairly well and still have a soft spot for them. For work I used 4" DA .38/.357 revolvers; as an instructor I had all the ammo I could want--and shot the fire out of those guns. Still do well with them and have complete confidence in them. Only problem is that other than recreational use it isn't a revolver world anymore...After years of disliking Glocks I found that the Gen. 4 M19 with XS Big Dot works very well for me. At best it's just a tool, but right now that's all I want.

Have been using .22 caliber sub caliber weapons for decades now; Colt .22/.45 conversion unit, Model 18 S&W, 1903M2, Ruger Standard Auto. More recently, S&W 15-22. A few years back while buying .22 ammo I decided that other than the effort required to carry it out to the vehicle, it wasn't much more trouble to buy a case of ammo than a mere brick. So I did.

Wish I had shot more high power rifle back when I could use iron sights better. Loved shooting the Garand and M1A. Had an SP-1 Colt CAR back in the late 1980s but very few accessories available for them then; sold it too cheaply as I was going to retire to more peaceful climes, and saw no further "need" for one. Hah. Circa 1996 I smelled the coffee and bought a BM, which has done well by me. Hung a compact ACOG on it, installed a decent trigger, a light, and did some minor upgrades. In 2012 sprung for a Colt 6720, w/3X ACOG and Geiselle trigger.

10% of my guns get 95% of the trigger time. Have probably owned 200 or so guns; most of them were dead ends and are not missed. Of the ones I actually use, most show wear, some to the point of being scruffy. Been reloading for 50+ years now; mainly .38/.357, 9mm, .45 ACP, .30-06, 7.62, and 5.56. I was given a Dillon 550 some years back but have never used it, preferring the old, slow but sure C press.

If the place burned down today, I would replace the subcaliber .22s, get another good 1911, a K frame, a Gen 4 Glock 19, and another 6720. It would be the ammo that would be hard to replace...

It's been a fun trip, though.

teutonicpolymer
03-25-14, 03:10
Rifles:
16" midlength ar15*
20" riflelength ar15
(both setup to be light weight)
LMT MWS (not sure on barrel length)
Buy AK variants when they are cheap
Sako TRG42 in .338 LM because why not

Shotguns:
Mossberg 590a1 20"
Beretta 1301 24"*
possibly an over under

Handguns:
Stay away from revolvers- they are accurate, fun, and look good but are impractical and .38 special/.357 magnum has become unobtanium or overly expensive.
Don't bother with 10mm until having an adequate reloading setup. It is a great round and I love it, and it is not really more expensive than .45 acp if you know where to look, but the ammo supply is inconsistent. This one pains me the most to say because I really wish 10mm was more main stream to drive cost down and make it more available like at Walmart.
Glock 19 gen 3 (truly the jack of all trades and pretty good at all of them) with Ameriglo Hack sights*
Glock 30s with Ameriglo Hack sights
Glock 41 with Ameriglo Hack sights
Glock 17 or 34 gen 4 with Ameriglo Hack sights
Glock 20 gen 4 with Ameriglo Hack sights
Les Baer Premier II or Dan Wesson Valor
Walther PPS 9mm for deeper concealment

I am not sure where I stand on .40. I think I would rather have a 9mm, 10mm, or .45 since the first has more capacity and is easier to shoot fast while the latter two come in larger frames that tend to fit my hand better and have a little better performance, but I also think having a handgun in each common caliber (9mm, .40, .45) is a good idea because you can never tell what will be available.

The stuff that has an asterisk is 1st priority. Other things would depend on finances.

Oh yeah and maybe get a USP Expert .45 when they were stopping sales and heavily discounting them.

Another one is the PPQ m1. I don't think it would replace the 19 for me, but it does have some things I like a lot. Thing is, seeing as how the m1 may cease to exist in the future (I keep reading conflicting reports saying it is staying or the m2 is going to be the only PPQ) I am not sure what to say because I like having cheap/easy to find mags and parts.

TomBowie
03-25-14, 03:19
Deleted

MSparks909
03-25-14, 08:17
I'll echo what most of the posters have said...I would go KISS with my choices.
Glock 17, bunch of mags and a pallet of ammo. AIWB & OWB holster.
Colt AR15A4, Aimpoint T1, DD fixed rear sight, sling. Bunch of ammo.
Beretta A400 Xtreme 26" barrel. Good for bird hunting, clay shooting and 3-gunning with the 10 round Briley magazine tube.

What I currently have:
Glock 34 - My EDC/training/competition gun.
Glock 19 - Started on this; girlfriend has taken it over for the most part.
SA TRP 1911 - Bought this recently "just because". Have always wanted a 1911.
S&W 686 - I wanted this "just because". No real rationale for keeping it other than the "cool factor."
S&W 15-22 - Plinker machine galore. Excellent training tool for the fundamentals.
DD V5 - Excellent rifle. Don't regret this purchase at all.
Beretta A400 Xtreme 28" - My go-to bird hunting, clay shooting, 3-gun shotgun. Barrel is a little long, but I can live with it.
H&R 939 .22 revolver - Grandpa gave passed this down when he passed; won't sell for sentimental reasons.

JulyAZ
03-25-14, 14:13
I would go back and tell myself DONT SELL THE COLTS!!!! (diamondbacks x2, Phython, BNIB!!!)

And the slap myself

twisted
03-26-14, 21:48
i would have told myself to buy as many colt 1911's as i could get my hands on and a few pythons and anacondas!!!!
and a few M14's while they were still readily available.......

bighawk
05-03-14, 20:11
I would have bought Glocks from the beginning and I never would have sold my Springfield TRP..

Sikiguya
05-03-14, 23:14
Buy a class 3 machine guns when they were affordable...actually buy as many as possible.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

GNXII
05-04-14, 11:01
Buy a class 3 machine guns when they were affordable...actually buy as many as possible.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I recall in 1982 a friend who lived FLA had an offer to buy a local collectors M-16s (4) at something like $3000 with mags ,ammo etc. The guy was going to work & live in Europe for a few years and wanted to sell them before he left for cash. My buddy declined saying " I'll never get any money for these if I tried to sell them.." I still tease him about this occasionally

Shiz
05-04-14, 11:33
I wish that I would have spent less time shooting AR's and more time shooting pistols.

Grant, would you mind going into more detail about this one?

C4IGrant
05-04-14, 17:43
Grant, would you mind going into more detail about this one?

Sure. Pistols are hard to shoot well. AR's are easy. If you can shoot a pistol well, shooting AR's is a piece of cake. On top of this common sense tells us that you are WAAAY more likely to use a pistol to defend yourself VS an AR.

C4

decodeddiesel
05-04-14, 18:24
Sure. Pistols are hard to shoot well. AR's are easy. If you can shoot a pistol well, shooting AR's is a piece of cake. On top of this common sense tells us that you are WAAAY more likely to use a pistol to defend yourself VS an AR.

C4

I was working on writing a similar response in the "How has your AR ownership evolved" thread, but gave up. When I was in the Army, obviously the M4 was everything. I only shot the M9 when qualifications came up. Now a days, I carry an M&P9 daily. I focus my training on my daily CCW way more than I do anything else. Because of this I find I have a lot more fun shooting ARs, shotguns, and precision rifles now that my personal training impetus is pistols. Conversely in the Army shooting the M9 was more "fun" than shooting the M4 because it was more of a novelty in training.

old grunt
08-03-15, 21:11
Can I change my Jan 2014 response up a bit? Two G19's, a G26(all Gen3), a Colt SAA in 45LC, Colt LE6720 rifle, a Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga, Smith Model 10(or 64) 4" bull barrel, a 3" SP101 in 357, and 2 LCR's in 38Spl(0ne for me, one for the wife), and a Winchester 9422. The Glocks are primary EDC'c with the LCR as a BUG for me, an EDC for the wife. The SP101 is a trail gun. The SAA is an investment and family heirloom gun. The Smith is a great utility gun/spare. The long guns... HD /zombie guns./plinking/hunting. I think with plenty of magazines and spare parts I have everything covered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HKGuns
08-03-15, 21:55
I have very few regrets.

- Understand and get into NFA a lot earlier than I did......
- I've never sold a firearm, so no regrets there.....I still have both P7's :)
- Maybe get a few more Garands, while there was a better selection and an extra M1 Carbine or two or three
- Never owned a gLoCk and am happy with that choice
- More time for reloading and shooting would be very nice
- Did more pistol than rifle early on and that has paid dividends
- Got my CPL the year shall be issued was approved, no regrets there

DirectTo
08-03-15, 22:32
I would have never picked up the Sigs, H&Ks, 1911s, and other guns I bought, shot, and sold. I broke even on most, but it was money I could have spent on more Glocks/M&Ps, more ammo, and more training.
I'd have never gotten into .45 or .380 though thankfully that's over with.
I'd have gotten into NFA sooner.
I've have stacked ammo deeper when it was relatively cheaper.

Pi3
08-04-15, 17:50
When ammo was really cheap, I was really broke.

ndmiller
08-04-15, 19:00
Bought every HK P7 I could get my hands on in the 80's along with P210's, Korth's, Pythons and about 100 G19 & G17 standard capacity mags before the AWB. I would be living on a private island right now......

Seriously, I should never have bought that NY Reload holster for 2 Glock 26's and never sold my Sig 229 9mm and 686 4". I should have taken more Randy Cain classes when I lived 2 hours south of Lakeland, especially a carbine class or two. And more West German sigs should have been bought and kept. And more Andy Arratoonian holsters to carry them in.

Firefly
08-04-15, 19:48
I was kinda lucky. I was brought up with Smith revolvers and old GI style 1911s. I was introduced seriously to Glock in my late teens and it stuck with me as a totally utilitarian pistol. I was issued a Smith Gen 3 Auto in my super early 20s and um...I have a little nostalgia for it but overall I hated it.

That said..I still made a few vanity purchases of stuff I saw on a movie or miami vice as a kid because everyone does.

If I could sit my pert little 21 year old self down (wwithout stomping a mudhole in him) I'd say:
Glock is pretty much it. Forego the Sig and Beretta you want to waste money on. Jump on that 17L. Get 3 Gen 1 17s.
DO NOT spend 100 dollars on that hi cap. 2004 will be here before you know it.
Still get that USP. That is a fun pistol. You won't shoot it again for another 9 years but still get it.
Get that 550 dollar 4" Stainless Colt Python you naive fool. It won't be there when you come back next week and this show called Walking Dead will eventually make Python prices crazy.
Volunteer for more shooting classes and make more time for IPSC.
Don't bother with tthe 5.7. Just get a .22
Buy every brick of .22 you see at Wal Mart
Get that HK P9.

Other than that I think I turned out okay.

ETA I would still get at least one Sig 9mm but it would be all stainless steel. It's never too late but yeah.

Also keep your STG 58. They will never be that cheap ever again.
Remember when CDNN had stupid cheap surplus M16A1 uppers? Buy two you fool.

You will develop a love/hate relationship with your M1A which stands to this day. You won't want to sell it, but I wish you never bought it. I don't care how well you shoot it or how pretty it looks. It'll always bug you and I'd sooner you had another gas gun

Hizzie
08-04-15, 21:18
Do overs, hmmm.

No fooling with 1911's.

Ruger GP100's instead of S&W L frames
Ruger SP101's instead of S&W J frames

Buy a truckload of SL Variant speedloaders.

Beretta 92G's instead of Glocks.

Gold bead front / plain wide notch rear sights.

No three dot night sights.

titsonritz
08-05-15, 01:51
Bought that stack of Chinese AKs for $225 a piece.
Kept my Gen 2 Glocks, S&W 629 & 65.
Bought pallets of ammo before shit got stupid.

brickboy240
08-05-15, 09:33
Glock 19 (swap sights and adjust the trigger)
tons of mags
Raven holsters

...call it good!

Thats it. Don't waste money on the latest doo dad or polymer challenger. Spend your money on ammo and training.

QuickStrike
08-05-15, 14:31
I would curb my impulse buys.

Skip m&p's and H&K's.

Buy only 9mm, except for 1911's.

Skip M14 type rifles.

Skip piston AR's.

Imo a nice semi-custom 1911 is all I need in .45 personally. Like the springfield professional. Of course a 1911 is a must in any decent American's home. :p

Get into good DA/SA's like Classic sigs, berettas and CZ's sooner. Imo shooting them did improve my overall pistol skills.

Would have stocked up on ammo too. And more importantly hoard a crapload of mags if I knew that the libtards from Cali would migrate over here in droves and mess everything up...

Screw buying only one type of gun though. I like my toys!

There aint a perfect gun(design) but many great ones. Im a fan of many of them just from a mechanical standpoint. It's great to have the opportunity to enjoy them, even if only from time to time because they're not carry pieces.

Doc Safari
08-05-15, 15:16
I'd have kept my Gen 2 Glock 17's.

I'd have bought a Smith 686 before the locks went in them.

I'd have avoided any cheap foreign pistol (Tokarev, Bersa, Taurus, etc.).

I would not have bought a Ruger P89, or any 1911 clone (now that I know the 1911 requires quite a bit of maintenance).

Ironbutt
08-05-15, 17:19
There's been a lot of trial & error over the years and I've ended up with thousands of dollars worth of guns in the safe that hardly ever get shot. Even those safe guns are dependable & are commonly used by LE or military, but I realize now that I wouldn't have missed much if I wouldn't have bought them.

My guns that I wouldn't want to be without are:

Wilson Combat CQB
Sig P226R
Sig M11A1
Glock 23 (just to have a .40)
S&W 686
BCM RECCE
Remington 870 tactical
Remington M700 .308 VSSF

buckshot1220
08-05-15, 21:08
1.) I would've started with 9mm, not .45. Cheaper to practice with and easier to build skill with due to less recoil.

2.) I would've started, and stayed, with Glock instead of HK as my primary platform. I won't start a debate as to why I've sold most of my HKs and replaced them with Glocks.

3.) I would've gotten legitimate training early on. I don't want to guess how much ammo ($$$) I wasted trying to teach myself proper techniques.

4.) I would've gotten into IDPA/IPSC earlier on. Static ranges are terrible once you've figured out how to pull a trigger. Although they aren't a direct replacement for training per se, if you have a good range near you it can be great for identifying weaknesses and building skills. Shooting while moving, barricaded, odd positions, in cars, weak hand etc. makes you scratch your head a bit.

lawusmc0844
08-05-15, 22:30
Start with 9mm and Glocks instead of 45s and 1911s. Bought four 1911s but now only have one. I also shoot 9mm alot more than .45 because of cost and 1911s are too finicky for me to be used as "combat" sidearms

Also I wish I did alot more research before jumping into the AR world. I spent lots of money before settling on my current 3 BCM rifles. DI works fine in the M16/M4/AR15 FOW so no need to mess with piston driven variants.

Knowing what I know now I would just have my three Glock 19s, three BCM AR15s (middy, ELW & Keymod Rail, and MK-12 Mod 0 clone), and Mossberg 590SPX. I would have also invested in 7.62x51 and got a LMT MWS, KAC SR-25, or an M40A5 clone. I currently also have a Nighthawk customized 870, two Mosins and two M1903s that I rarely shoot. I want to consolidate to just 9mm, 5.56 and 12 Gauge but at the same time I don't want to give up those old bolt action war horses. I may put that 870 up for sale if anyone is interested though...

brickboy240
08-06-15, 00:00
I agree about the AR world issue.

I may have played all over the handgun world before just settling in on Glocks but for ARs, I went straight for a Colt and now only own 2 Colts and no plans for any other ARs.

If I had bought my G17 and G19 first...I doubt I'd own many of my other pistols. LOL

Spahr0311B
08-06-15, 04:28
I should preface my response by saying my department issued gun is a Glock 22, which is the only reason I shoot .40’s.

-Don’t sell your first J-Frame (442), you’ll just buy another (442), then sell it, then buy another (642), then sell it, then buy another (442), then sell it, and now you'll find yourself wanting to buy another (340 this time,because why not?).
-Don’t sell your first Glock 27, you’ll just buy another, and sell it, and buy another. Don’t plan on selling this one unless my department changes to 9mm. Here’s to hoping.
-Quit selling guns.
-Buy that Dillon 650 earlier. Your definition of having “a lot” of ammo stored up will completely change.
-Buy a shot timer earlier. You need a way to track your progress.
-Before you go on duty, practice 10 presentations with dry fire, 10 strong hand only dry fire, 10 weak hand only dry fire, and 20 reloads.
-Don’t buy shotguns (870 and 590). When you go to the trunk, you’ll always grab the AR.
-Don’t buy a direct thread .223 can. Get a QD .30 cal and be done with it.
-Don't lift more than your body weight, it'll break you down in the long run.

Blayglock
08-07-15, 01:51
Skipped my 1911 addiction phase and just bought more ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Warp
08-09-15, 11:42
Same thing.

I bought my first handgun a decade ago, for every day concealed carry.

10 years later I'm still carrying that same handgun more than every other one combined.

Glock 26.

I suppose I would tell myself not to buy the 10mm Glock, ammo is too expensive/scarce and the grip is too big for my hands.

Linea_de_Fuego
08-11-15, 21:45
I would have overcome my dislike of polymer pistols way sooner (1990's) and focused on one caliber and platform with multiples of the same platform. This would have been the Glock 17 and 19, along with the training classes to learn what I needed to know.
Of course I think every man also needs one good 1911. The problem here is that the more one knows about the 1911 platform the more expensive that good 1911 becomes.

IClaudius
08-14-15, 11:58
Everything would have been 9mm

I would have stayed with Glock and Older SIG 9mm (except the P220)

As far as AR's I would have bought only Colt, LMT, DD or BCM.

As far as AK's Arsenal ONLY.

Going cheap on guns is almost always an error - especially with AR / AK.

1986s4
08-14-15, 15:02
I would have bought an SKS at that gun show, new, wrapped in brown paper with cosmoline, $99.00. Kept the Webley Mk V, the S&W M1917 and the Inglis P-35 Hi-Power. Dang...

Bryan84
08-14-15, 20:59
G19's and as many as I could afford!

Gardnaaa
01-21-16, 09:29
Would have purchased an AR before the NY safe act! Not saying I don't have any now though. A USP, and I've always wanted a desert eagle lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shao
01-21-16, 10:59
I would have spent the extra dough and ponied up for a CZ75 SP-01 instead of the CZ75B Omega I ended up with. I'll never try concealing this thing due to it's size and weight, so I might as well have gone for the pic rail. That and the night sights would have made it my perfect nightstand gun.

Also, I wish I never sold my mint Beretta 950BS Jetfire... I've been looking for a new one for ages now. I miss the little bugger.

jstalford
01-21-16, 11:08
I would build and mk18 and get an SR15 and call it good instead of effing around with 200 different guns/configurations.

For handguns, I would have just stuck with the first 19 I bought.

wildcard600
01-21-16, 15:03
Would have kept my pre-lock S&W 629 and my early 90's Inox Beretta 92.

Would not have spent so much time and money getting into 1911's only to later admit that i really don't think they are all that great for my purposes.

Would not have waited almost 20 years before i finally got my USP (would have saved that 1911 money too).

Would not have chased the striker fired unicorn only to realize that like 1911's I really don't they they are all that great for me.

Halln
01-21-16, 16:23
Would have only bought a Glock 17 and 19 and spent the rest of time and money on ammo , training and carribbean vacations.

Mr. Goodtimes
01-21-16, 17:21
I am doing it all over again... I'm just buying an SR15, I already have a glock 19. I originally had a BCM rifle a few years ago and while it was a good rifle, I've always wanted a KAC, so I'm buying one. As time progresses I may build a dedicated suppressed 300blk upper but that's about it.

dbain99
01-21-16, 17:39
Ruger MKI MKII MKIII
Browning A5 20/16/12
Colt 1911s
Colt Revolvers
Sig 220/226/229
Daniel Defense ARs

Keep 5 years worth of ammo on hand.

No Rossi
No Taurus
No SKS
No AK

and S&W stock lots of S&W stock!

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

nof555
01-21-16, 17:54
Would have used all the money I've spent on my Colt 6920 and upgrades, on one chambered in .300 blackout.
Would have started out with my Sig P226 and Glock 19 instead of the early model M&P 9's which I've since sold

DragonDoc
01-21-16, 21:26
I would tell my younger self to convince mom and dad to register around 10 stripped AR15 lower receivers. I would also have them buy some more machine guns or at least register some HK and AK flats. I also would have bought that Sig 228 I wanted instead of compromising.

Dirknar
01-21-16, 22:05
I would have NOT sold my .308 GAPrecision rifle w/leupold MK4!
I would have NOT sold the stainless Springfield TRP with hand fit parts and custom Melonite job!!
I would not have sold my bcm/noveske/aimpoint micro 14.5" AR!!
what a frckn dumbass!!

But Now ive got nothing and im starting over and its ok..
I have owned a few sigs and seem to shoot DA/SA ok.

Im thinking a HK p30 v1.

I have owned and do like glocks but I am also one that shoots them left.. and I just dont seem to get real excited about them..

henschman
01-21-16, 22:26
I would have told my teenage self to quit ****ing around with Taurus, FEG, and cheap Eastern bloc stuff and just save up and get the damn Glock. Also don't **** around with calibers other than 9mm. Learn to reload. And get some damn training, start shooting some competitions, and quit spotlighting, shooting road signs, and all the other dumb shit I did with guns growing up.

Benito
01-22-16, 02:16
This thread is very therapeutic and cathartic.
I wonder what regrets I will have in 10 years about what I am doing right now.

Pappabear
01-22-16, 02:43
unfortunately, its the process to get us to where we can decide what would be ideal now. But you have to run the course to know what you like.
The easy part is saying, shit I wish I didn't sell my Smith 44 mag.

But the process is living and its all good in the end.

JackFanToM
01-22-16, 06:57

Same, except skip the M&P and just get the PPQ

Labayu
01-22-16, 07:17
I wouldn't waste my time w/ .45 or .40, just stick w/ 9mm from the start.

Edit, a little slow, lol

I stuck with 9mm and now I get to say "I told ya so" to all of my buddies who lambasted my affinity for a "pipsqueak pistol caliber"..

I'd keep my Devine M1A, M1 Carbine and M1 Garands and sell my Steyr AUG(and a bunch of other Eurocrap) at the height of the ban..

I'd restore my 1993 Dodge Cummins 4x4 instead of selling it and buying an LB7 Duramax.

I wouldn't date a certain 5ft tall gymnast named Natalie and I'd use my 95 ASVAB score to pick a technology related MOS so I could use it to become a welloff civilian contractor later in life.

yat-yas
01-22-16, 08:47
I would have bought a G17 and a G26 Instead of a G22 and G27. I would have never bought an XD and would have bought a 229 sooner. I also would have got a Buckmark instead of that pos Mosquito.

Arik
01-22-16, 08:53
If I had to do it all over I would do the same thing only sooner. There would be only two things I'd keep. S&W 629, while its not the mdl 29 i l always wanted the Dirty Harry gun and DD AR. I sold the DD to fund an SBR. That's it. I started out with junk like Taurus, repeating what most others say "just as good as" and "....carry a lot shoot a little".

My first gun was a Ruger P95. After that I bought a Taurus PT145 and a 100 (the Beretta 92 in 40s&w). Along with that there was a DE .50 and some other nonsense. The Taurus PT145 was my EDC in an Uncle Mikes soft IWB holster.

Slowly I came to the realization that there are better alternatives which don't cost much more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
01-22-16, 16:31
1- Skip the M1A Scout Squad, EoTech, Kimber, and Safariland 6004 - buy a Wilson and a good leather holster, instead.
2- Buy as much 45 and 308 as you can afford: It's never going to be cheaper. And stick to 9mm, 45, 5.56, 7.62x39, and 308.
3- Ignore SiGs. Ignore Kimbers. Ignore DPMSs and Smith & Wesson M&Ps. Ignore FNs. Ignore bolt guns (except for the Swiss K31, Finnish M39, and a Steyr Scout with a not-black stock). If you must buy a 9mm, make it a Beretta or a Glock.
4- Hold onto that Arsenal SAM-7F and that Winchester 1895 in 30-06.
5- Your roommate will love that HK45 - you won't. And you won't like the HK45C any better.
6- Ignore ARs until you can get something with a DD RIS II then stick with it. Then buy a KMR upper. Slap an AP T-1 Micro on it and a SureFire Scout.
7- Never sell an accessory: Not holsters, not mags, not optics. Unless you're absolutely certain that you're through with a cartridge or firearm - because then it becomes an excuse to do something you really don't need and probably shouldn't be buying.
8- Trading a P7PSP for an LCR is a mistake. Keep the f___ing P7, you dolt!
9- You know that $350 surplus SiG P6/P225 that's in mint condition, was never issued, and even has the original test target? You should buy that. And never let it go.
10- If you're going to get into 5.45, do it early. Otherwise stay away. Also stay away from 308-caliber battle rifles, you'll never be able to keep them as well-fed as a Scout rifle in 308 or an AK in 7.62x39 or an AR in 5.56mm.

RobertTheTexan
01-22-16, 16:48
Wow... What a question.
1. I would have brought at least some of the 19 weapons I owned when I joined the Army with me and secured in to arms room. Specifically my 7mm Magnum, .303 British, Remington 1100, Winchester pre 64 30-30, and the first gun I bought with my own money when I turned 15, a Ruger Model 77 .243. As it is I left for the Army and my sister sold every one of them.
2. I should have started replenishing them much sooner.
3. I should have never sold my Ruger Super RedHawk .44 Magnum
4. I should have gotten into building AR's waaaaaaaaaayy sooner than I did. I was an idiot.
5. I should have bought the Sig P226 for $520.00 when I had the chance. I still get pissed at myself when I think about that.
6. I should have never wasted my money on a Taurus PT-111 and should have bought a G26.
7. I should have listened to my stepmom who warned me about where things were going 10 yrs ago. I should have bought precious metals then and I should have start building AR's and buying ammo then. She was so right about where were are today it makes me sick to my stomach to think how I ignored her warnings.

RobertTheTexan
01-22-16, 16:50
Wow... What a question.
1. I would have brought at least some of the 19 weapons I owned when I joined the Army with me and secured in to arms room. Specifically my 7mm Magnum, .303 British, Remington 1100, Winchester pre 64 30-30, and the first gun I bought with my own money when I turned 15, a Ruger Model 77 .243. As it is I left for the Army and my sister sold every one of them.
2. I should have started replenishing them much sooner.
3. I should have never sold my Ruger Super RedHawk .44 Magnum
4. I should have gotten into building AR's waaaaaaaaaayy sooner than I did. I was an idiot.
5. I should have bought the Sig P226 for $520.00 when I had the chance. I still get pissed at myself when I think about that.
6. I should have never wasted my money on a Taurus PT-111 and should have bought a G26.
7. I should have listened to my stepmom who warned me about where things were going 10 yrs ago. I should have bought precious metals then and I should have start building AR's and buying ammo then. She was so right about where were are today it makes me sick to my stomach to think how I ignored her warnings.

Geez... That was a rather depressing trip down memory lane.. [emoji24]

RobertTheTexan
01-22-16, 17:20
I would tell my younger self to convince mom and dad to register around 10 stripped AR15 lower receivers. I would also have them buy some more machine guns or at least register some HK and AK flats. I also would have bought that Sig 228 I wanted instead of compromising.

Brother, I know what you mean. I still remember the guy texting me, "I've got an offer of $519 for the Sig, give me $520 and its yours." I balked and said I'll wait for something else to come along...and have regretted it ever since! Now I see them priced at...well...A LOT more than $520. I did award myself the DAI award for that....(Dumb-Ass Idea)

RazorBurn
01-22-16, 18:03
I would tell myself that while I was in college from 1990 to 1995 to buy all the milsurps and 1911's I could get my hands on and to not blow that money on booze and chasing tail...

ritepath
01-22-16, 19:23
I'd tell myself not to waste time on silly bulky guns like my old G26,P229,M&P 9c,PT145, 642, and just buy the Shield and LCP to begin with. Of course that's easy all those listed were before the Shield was even produced.

Not to waste time on crappy IWB carry because I was paranoid with "printing".

I would also have bought more CZ's and fewer Sigs.

mortre
01-22-16, 19:30
I'd tell myself not to waste time on silly bulky guns like my old G26,P229,M&P 9c,PT145, 642, and just buy the Shield and LCP to begin with. Of course that's easy all those listed were before the Shield was even produced.

Not to waste time on crappy IWB carry because I was paranoid with "printing".

I would also have bought more CZ's and fewer Sigs.

I started with OWB carry, one of the few things I got right the first time.

On the other hand, I consider the mouse guns as my waste of time. For me, there is no reason to go smaller than a 4" gun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bighawk
01-22-16, 19:40
I've often thought about this over the last few years..

If I could start over from the beginning I would:
-Learn to reload from day one as its something I am just about to get into
-Buy Glocks in 9MM (19's and 17's) Probably 3 of each considering they're pretty much all I shoot or carry anymore.
-Never would have sold my Springfield TRP
-Buy Surefire X300's instead of messing around with shitty no name lights
-Would have avoided the whole pocket pistol and sub compact craze I went through for about 2 years considering of the dozen I purchased I only have one left.
-Stick to 9, 45, 5.56, 7.62x39 as I have slimmed down to this after buying and trying everything before realizing this is what I like.
-Never would have sold my AMD65 or my underfolder considering they're going for almost twice what they were 9 years ago around here and I want one of each again.

skittles
01-22-16, 19:42
I'd tell myself to buy the Glock 19 that I really wanted for my first hand gun and not wait all these years to finally get one.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

TheNegativeOne
01-22-16, 20:55
10mm. That is all.

tb-av
01-22-16, 21:00
[QUOTE=Talon167;1821399]If you could go back to your younger self and explain to him or her all the things you currently know about handguns, including your own experiences, what would you tell yourself to buy?[/QUOTE}

I would tell myself to go buy all the Pre 1962 Stratocasters and Les Paul guitars I could find. Sell one and buy several pre 1978 era versions of the same. Sell the pre 1978 versions as needed to buy any handguns you want. Buy what you enjoy.