PDA

View Full Version : Subcompact 9 mm; PPS ?

w3453l
12-28-13, 21:37
I saw a similar thread started today, but since my question is a little different I didn't want to post in the other thread and derail.

I've been looking for a subcompact 9 mm handgun. This is for concealed carry, so I would prefer a single stack.

I'm looking for the most reliable handgun I can find. I'm not expecting great accuracy from a subcompact. I've looked at the Glock 26, but it's too wide. The p2000sk seems a bit to heavy for comfort also.

I do own a PPQ m2; I would like to have consistency, so I thought about the PPS. The only problem I see with the PPS is that it has a paddle release for the magazine. I shoot the PPQ a lot, and would probably switch off with carrying the two. (Colder weather PPQ, warmer PPS). Is the fact that one has a button release and the other have a paddle release something to really take into consideration?

Is the PPS any good? I've read positive reviews on the Walther forums, but I'm not sure if they are biased or not. Anyone have firsthand experience with the PPS?

kevN
12-28-13, 23:19
Do you think the Glock 26 is too wide because you tried to carry it? It's something that gets hurled around a lot but I don't notice it.

I personally am not all that impacted by the width of a pistol when carrying. You may also want to try different holster options/ I go for a Vanguard 2 or INCOG and they are a lot slimmer feeling than trying to IWB in a full kydex kit. To me, the holster really matters a lot more when it comes to comfortable carry and I find that there are more options for Glocks than anything else.

PPS is a reliable pistol, but not all that similar ergonomically similar to the PPQ. The P99c AS would be closer but that is a harder gun to find and is basically G26 sized (doublestack).

Others to think about are the S&W Shield (which is a great value). The p2000sk is an amazing handgun as well.

LightningFast
12-28-13, 23:29
I'm a Shield owner but really like all the PPS I've shot. One of the deciding factors for the Shield for me was the lack of support, both aftermarket and FROM Walther, for the gun.
My good friend broke a minor part in his PPS (I believe it was the slide stop, but I would have to check). Walther would not sell nor send him a replacement part, they required him to ship the entire gun in for repair.

That said, I still don't believe you can go wrong with the gun. SouthNarc carries the gun frequently, and his opinion carries a lot of weight for many people.

packinaglock
12-29-13, 05:53
I got the Shield about 5 months ago and I have to say I'm really impressed. When I was ready to buy I told myself I would buy either the Walther pps or the Shield whichever I found in stock first.

Pilot1
12-29-13, 07:45
I am considering the PPS, Sig P938, Shield, and XDs for a sub compact, single stack 9MM. So far I have only shot the Shield, and really liked it. I was able to shoot it accurately, rapid fire, and it was totally reliable. S&W has a winner here. The same range has a PPS for rent, so I am going to shoot that also. From all accounts the PPS is an excellent pistol.

The only issue I have with all these single stack pistol is the grip design is thin which helps for concealed carry, but it does not fill my large hands well. There are trade offs in everything, but as said previously, I shot the Shield well, and did not feel any shifting in my hand.

mdrums
12-29-13, 11:40
The PPS is great but make sure you hold a M&P Shield and Springfield XDs 9mm too.

t1tan
12-29-13, 13:15
Last year I was looking for a slim 9mm and was pretty set on the Shield or PPS, after holding the two, I preferred the feel and magazine release of the PPS and didn't want a manual safety. Sight options are pretty much non-existent though, I actually just put a 10-8 PPQ tritium front on mine, keeping the stock rear until a better option comes out or 10-8 adjusts their PPQ rear and sells a PPS version. The PPS is very pleasant to shoot with very light recoil for it's size, which is heavier than it looks and also extremely accurate. Mine came with a 7 and 8 round magazine, I wanted to convert the 8 to a 6, Walther setting up shop in the US made support very easy to deal with, called, gave the part numbers, paid and they were at my door in a couple days.

Overall after a little over a year of the PPS, I'm very pleased.

Tzed250
12-29-13, 14:03
The PPS .40 is my EDC. It has been totally reliable and the accuracy at the ranges expected of it is excellent.

My first few shots from the PPS, 7 yards.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8489898023_8968575946_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41385771@N03/8489898023/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41385771@N03/8489898023/) by zweitakt250 (http://www.flickr.com/people/41385771@N03/), on Flickr

winmag45
12-29-13, 14:24
I've been using a SIG P290RS 9mm with a IWB rig.I was quite surprised at the accuracy and I haven't had any reliability issues.

LibertyNeverDies
12-30-13, 14:29
Is the fact that one has a button release and the other have a paddle release something to really take into consideration? Under stress I think this could be a big deal but also just switching between a double tack and single stack could also throw your muscle memory off. When I switch from a Glock to M&P the first slide lock reload or two I always miss the slide release and fumble to hit it. Whenever you go to the range you could finish your session with the PPS and I think that would help muscle memory. The PPS is a joy to shoot.
Is the PPS any good? I just got a PPS. I love it based off the limited amount of rounds I have through it(so I can't speak to long term reliability). Short term no issues. I will warn you that the trigger is completely different from the PPQ. The PPS trigger in my opinion is a mix between a Glock and M&P, but the best of both(YMMV). It was kinda rough at first but has smoothed out very nicely with dry fire. I shoot it almost as well as my PPQ. It honestly shoots like a full size gun. At five yards I could put 4rounds in a 4 or 5 inch group with a rough average or .54sec between each shot. That is pretty much the same my full size guns. The ergos really allow me to get great control of the gun. At ten yards I was close to the PPQ in terms of accuracy. At 17yards the PPQ was more accurate for me(this is where the trigger started coming into play?). The sight I had on the PPQ at that time were also a factor. From the research I've done it seems the PPS has had some issues but Walther always seems to fix them. There was a defense review article saying the seals had adopted the PPS for low profile missions. Maybe a more knowledgeable member could speak to the validity of that. I'd get the PPS once my CC comes in I'll carry the PPQ M2 and the PPS.

Magsz
12-30-13, 18:16
I am having great success with my XDs 9mm.

I picked it up a few weeks ago and have 650 rounds through it so far. Nary a bobble and the gun is surprisingly accurate for something this size. It is also ridiculously easy to shoot which seems to be a common compromise when you go to a smaller platform. I owned a Shield and i could never warm up to it due to the slim, round grip. The gun torqued in my hands and would NOT track no matter how hard i clamped down on it. Even after adding apex parts to the gun i couldnt wring the accuracy i wanted out of it.

The XDs that i own has a ridiculously heavy but remarkably shootable trigger. Accuracy out to 25 is honestly...ridiculous for a gun this size. I have a PRP spring kit on the way and once that gets installed i will be posting a review of the gun.

Ive never been a fan of XD's at all but this one has changed my mind a bit mostly due to the fact that its not really quite an XD. All of the short comings of the XD pistols seems to have been fixed.

Out of the box:

Good sights
Metal front and rear guide rails for the slide
The trigger is exceptional albeit heavy
Great ergos.
Ambi mag release
A very positive slide lock that is easy to thumb down strong or weak hand thumb
The grip safety does NOT impede the slide from being racked when it is NOT depressed
The magazines are exceptional quality and do not suffer from traditional 9mm single stack issues, ie rounds nose diving on the feed ramp.

The only real negative is that the pistol is somewhat complex, at least comparatively speaking when put side by side with a Glock.

Clay
12-30-13, 18:57

I picked it up a few weeks ago and have 650 rounds through it so far. Nary a bobble and the gun is surprisingly accurate for something this size. It is also ridiculously easy to shoot which seems to be a common compromise when you go to a smaller platform. I owned a Shield and i could never warm up to it due to the slim, round grip. The gun torqued in my hands and would NOT track no matter how hard i clamped down on it. Even after adding apex parts to the gun i couldnt wring the accuracy i wanted out of it.

The XDs that i own has a ridiculously heavy but remarkably shootable trigger. Accuracy out to 25 is honestly...ridiculous for a gun this size. I have a PRP spring kit on the way and once that gets installed i will be posting a review of the gun.

Ive never been a fan of XD's at all but this one has changed my mind a bit mostly due to the fact that its not really quite an XD. All of the short comings of the XD pistols seems to have been fixed.

Out of the box:

Good sights
Metal front and rear guide rails for the slide
The trigger is exceptional albeit heavy
Great ergos.
Ambi mag release
A very positive slide lock that is easy to thumb down strong or weak hand thumb
The grip safety does NOT impede the slide from being racked when it is NOT depressed
The magazines are exceptional quality and do not suffer from traditional 9mm single stack issues, ie rounds nose diving on the feed ramp.

The only real negative is that the pistol is somewhat complex, at least comparatively speaking when put side by side with a Glock.

Agree 100% My XDS-45 is freakishly accurate. I can't believe how much I like it. I really bought it on a whim, and because I had a good supply of .45 ammo on hand.

My wife's Shield has turned out to be an unreliable dog, and one doesn't have to dig around on the net too long to find others in the same boat. This was my third and last plastic S&W. I had two M&P9's that were the most inaccurate pistols I've ever owned. S&W is hit or miss IMHO.

ST911
12-30-13, 21:06

Great info, and I share most of your observations. The XDs is definitely the standout in the XD lineup, despite it bearing the burden and stigma of its larger siblings.

Magsz
12-30-13, 23:05
Great info, and I share most of your observations. The XDs is definitely the standout in the XD lineup, despite it bearing the burden and stigma of its larger siblings.

I am genuinely surprised at how much i like this pistol. Coupled with a Crimson Trace front activated laser, this is a nasty little package.

I am also a little shocked at how well the pistol is actually built. For 495 dollars you're getting a VERY nice specimen of modern machining and injection molding.