PDA

View Full Version : Wolf .223 suggestions

nickdrak
05-23-08, 00:21
Guys,

I am attending a carbine class next month and I am going with Wolf steel case for my training ammo. I have run Wolf previously through my MRP in 3 different carbine classes without a hiccup, so please dont turn this into a "Wolf sucks" thread. I know it does! but it runs just fine through my carbine.

My question is, what is the best current production steel cased Wolf ammo to buy? Military Classic? or the standard black box stuff? Also, I was considering the 62gr HP steel cased Wolf as it seems to be about the same price as the 55gr Wolf, and my barrel is 1/7 twist, so I figure it will perform slightly better accuracy-wise through my carbine. What have you guys had the best, fewest issues with recently, and what do you recommend?

Thanx in advance!

Stay safe,
Nick

Steve in PA
05-23-08, 00:25
I've been shooting the Wolf Military Classis 55gr FMJ polymer ammo out of my Bushmaster M4 with zero problems or issues.

From what I've read, the MC stuff is better than the black box stuff, but I have no personal experience to base that on.

RogerinTPA
05-23-08, 13:47
I've had zero issues with Wolf ammo of various types and weights. Having said that, I have noticed through various testing that the Mil Classic is the most accurate and has driven tacks (1 1/2 inch 5 round groups, with the occasional one inch groups when I do my part) out of my 6920. I have also gotten surprisingly very good accuracy out of the 55 and 62 grain hollow points. I stocked up on Privi for courses just to cut down on the heckling. But hey, if it runs in your guns with a reliability you can accept, you should be GTG.

nightw50
06-21-08, 09:53
First of all, let me say I agree with nickdrak that Wolf ammo sucks. I've been shooting and reloading .223 for over 30 yrs. in various rifles and I know what works for me. I'm new to the M4/AR15 family and like Wolf MC for plinking, problem is it doesn't work reliably. It appears that due to the fact that steel doesn't expand quite like brass in the chamber, it bleeds off too much gas in the chamber to send enough down the gas tube to strip a fresh round out of the mag. I get a hammer drop on an empty chamber, gets worse as the gun heats up. If I switch to brass ammo it eats it like a free lunch. I just like not having to pick up brass every time I launch a bullet.
I'm running a SW MP15 clean and properly lubed. Any thoughts?

Steve in PA
06-21-08, 16:46
Well, I've shot close to 1k rounds of the Wolf MC polymer stuff out of my Bushmaster. Not one hiccup, FTF, FTE, etc. I've shot 3-30rds mags of the Wolf MC ammo back to back, about 1 round per second. Every shot went bang, every round ejected.

I've been reloading for a lot of years and still reload for the .223, but its nice to have cheap, surplus ammo for plinking/range work.

huntgrouse
06-21-08, 22:47
I have been running WOLF for 4 years now for all my pracitce and courses. Ran the Busmaster Crabine instructor Course at Blackwater July 2007. over 2500 rounds. I was running a Bushmaster M4gery. Using Wolf Polymer 55 gr. I decided to run my own test. I didnt clean the weapon after initial lube at start of class. I put a few drops of lube on it each morning. I ran almost 2000 rounds before I have a malfunction. FTE. It ripped the rim off the case. Chamber was very dirty. Finsihed the drill with pistol and got a rod and knocked the case out, scrubbed the chamber quick and finished the day and then the course with no further cleaning.
did some drills that we burned several 30 rd mags as fast as we could dump them. never meissied a beat.
Last day we went to the KD range and shot steel out to 300M. I was banging the 300M 12x12 plate all the time. Using an ACOG TA11 for that.

Accuracy for minute of man was no issue.
I find it interesting that a lot of guys knock wolf but Hornandy has steel cased ammo now.

I just did Rogers Intermediate/Advanced Pistol course. SHot a Beretta M9 and nothign but WOLF. Took the suplemental carbine also. Used my WOLF in that. No malfunctions in 3000 rounds. 2500 through the M9 and 500 through mostly OLY Ar 9mm (Glock mag) clone.

Tell me whats to argue?
Just my unscientific two cents.

Last day

m4fun
06-22-08, 20:26
I think half the folks at the last LAV Carbine course in VA had wolf. I too never had a problem with which led me to using it in a carbine course.

I have been using it for quite a while, all sorts of Wolf. Ran fine in all my DI guns, but then again I always lube well prior and clean like a mofo after. It was simply more dirty than most, but still smells better than S&B.

Started using an LWRC piston upper and the only place I have really noticed in need of some attention was inside the bolt under the extractor where the primer sealant forms a red rubbery residue that is easy to scape out with dental pics. No FTFs!

A recent test of some I have simply demonstrates that shooting 62gr black box hp was way more accurate than the 55gr MC in my LWRC, but then again it has a 1/7 barrel twist.

Its funny, but I reload a lot and my 5.56 reloads are for plinking and the Wolf is for training. I think that once the Wolf is gone, it is gone and my reloads will suffice for training.

OlympicArmsFan
06-22-08, 21:53
I just finished a kit that I've been working on and now looking for ammo can someone tell me the differnce in all the wolf ammo for the .223. I think so far those are the best prices I have been able to find is wolf ammo.

markm
06-23-08, 09:04
I just finished a kit that I've been working on and now looking for ammo can someone tell me the differnce in all the wolf ammo for the .223. I think so far those are the best prices I have been able to find is wolf ammo.

I love your USERNAME! :eek:

OlympicArmsFan
06-23-08, 13:32
I love your USERNAME! :eek:

Hey thank you are you an Oly fan to. I dont own one but I do like them. I just built an M4 kit my first AR.

Im just wanting to make sure Wolf ammo is good to run through it.

markm
06-23-08, 13:53
Hey thank you are you an Oly fan to.

No! I'm one of the most outspoken Oly haters on the internut! :)

I'm glad you DON'T own one. They are one of the worst makers out there. I keep an informal archive of all of the quality and customer service nightmares that shooters have had to suffer through, and posted on the gun forums.

Not too many folks on this site (none that I've seen anyway) own Olympic arms. The shooters on this site are generally seasoned shooters who demand a higher quality product than Oly is capable of delivering.

Let me see if I can't link you to the chart that quantifies the shortcomings of Olympic Arms.....

markm
06-23-08, 13:55
Here we go....

Keep in mind that this chart only captures the production differences between different ARs. It doesn't account for the poor quality that Olympic Arms puts out.... misaligned fire control pin holes, tight mag wells, out of spec chambers, misaligned take down pin holes, etc.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

ToddG
06-23-08, 21:14
Gents ... let's please keep this thread about ammo. If you'd like to discuss the merits of various AR brands, please do so in the appropriate forum area.

Thank you.

nightw50
06-24-08, 00:45
After cleaning the gas tube and port with contact cleaner and compressed air, guess what...the Wolf MC runs just fine. I guess the tube had some crud in it!! As I stated earlier, I'm new to the AR family. The Wolf Military Classic seems to be a good runner,but I've had problems with the black box stuff in Mini14's and others.The shelac or what ever that stuff is will jam a chamber up in no time.

Ridgerunner665
06-24-08, 01:38
Cleaning the gas tube???

Now bear in mind that I'm still learning the ins and outs of AR 15's too...

But I have to wonder what contact cleaner and compressed air cleaned out of the gas tube that wouldn't have been blown out by firing...there is an ungodly amount of pressure and heat that gets blasted through there every time you fire it.

I'm not saying you're wrong...but what in the world was in it???

Dave L.
06-24-08, 05:16
Never had a problem with Wolf Ammo ( Performance 55/62 grain FMJs JHPs ) in any of my AR's.
As a matter of fact, I'm about to buy a shit load of the new 75 grain stuff-
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Wolf_Performance_.223_75grn_HP.html

nightw50
06-24-08, 07:40
I have no idea what was in it, all I know is now it works. Also went from Oneshot lube to Triflow.

RogerinTPA
06-29-08, 16:45
Hey thank you are you an Oly fan to. I dont own one but I do like them. I just built an M4 kit my first AR..

:D Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Oh shit!