PDA

View Full Version : Yeti-or similar-Coolers

06-27-14, 17:30
Anyone with firsthand experience? Good?Bad?Ugly? Tips, advice, etc. appreciated.

Outlander Systems
06-27-14, 17:33

; )

Moose-Knuckle
06-27-14, 17:39
YETI is to coolers as KAC's are to Stoner rifles.

Cabelas ripped off the design and have two different series out, the Alaskan Guide Series and some other. If you are going to spend that kind of coin on a cooler stick with YETI.

GH41
06-27-14, 20:21
Yeti's are the KAC equivalent as noted but Igloo is the M&P of coolers. Maybe not the best for extreme conditions but good enough for most of us. Do you want your ice to last for 4 days at $100 per day or 3 days for $50 per day?

Honu
06-27-14, 20:44
Engel is a touch better than Yeti and there are some other designs all around the same ? so when I say a touch better its personal but some testing has showed its a bit better at holding ice (the engel is better) some other like Pelican make coolers now also that are top notch

lots of pros cons and depends on how what you are using it ? packing as in pre cooling the cooler and good ice or better IMHO frozen 1 gallon jugs you can drink off the water and no slushing around or food getting wet etc..

the best long term option we use for longer term camping are fridges :) but good ones like the Arb or Engel fridge 12 volt setups about $1000 but true fridges that are indestructible

a two day hunting trip ? or two week camping trip ? or just going to the beach ? I have a arg fridge and extreme coolers and cheap bag coolers all depends on what I am doing :)

one of the many conversations on of the over landing forums
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/125178-Pelican-ProGear-Elite-vs-Yet

seems fishing forums have there own use :) casting platform etc..

when I worked on boats on Maui we used huge coleman marines but we replenished with ice every day and was just for drinks ?

hit yeti in the search on that expo forum there lots to read :)
nothing like reaching in and taking out a cold drink out of a bunch of sloshy ice water and a wet can though !!!!! nothing just seems as refreshing as that for some reason :)

Moose-Knuckle
06-27-14, 21:02
seems fishing forums have there own use :) casting platform etc..

This is one of the reasons the founder of YETI over built his product, they destroyed coolers on fishing trips using them as casting paltforms. I kind of geeked out on these when they came out and read up on the man.

hatt
06-27-14, 21:10
YETI is to coolers as KAC's are to Stoner rifles.

Cabelas ripped off the design and have two different series out, the Alaskan Guide Series and some other. If you are going to spend that kind of coin on a cooler stick with Yeti.
Sams Club had a $200 go fast cooler the other day. Igloo I believe. Looks like everyone is getting in on the party.

Honu
06-27-14, 21:21
looked at that a few weeks ago at same its nice cooler for the money can't go wrong wight that for a tough cooler !!!
I don't need more coolers :) ahhaahha
have a ton of expedition camping gear as it is but kinda like guns lots of styles uses etc.. nice to have the proper tool for the job

Sams Club had a $200 go fast cooler the other day. Igloo I believe. Looks like everyone is getting in on the party.

SilverBullet432
06-27-14, 21:37
Meh. I just bought a $16 igloo from academy 2 minutes ago for work. Im saving up for the coleman stainless steel cooler though. :cool:

steyrman13
06-27-14, 23:12
The ice holding isn't THAT much better, although better. Most of the test put YETI, ORCA, PELICAN, Engel in about the same boat as far as ice retention. Even the Coleman Pro? series holds ice almost as well. Problem is, most of those test are with the lid shut the entire time. The biggest advantage to the YETI/Pelican/Engel (Orca is a almost complete copy of YETI) is the durability. People use them for Jackstands for repairs on the trails for ATV,SxS, dirtbiking. Also if something tears up, they will send you replacements for the parts. Also, they lids won't crush in when standing on them or strapping them down. A HUGE advantage is when strapping them down, you don't have to put straps over the lid which means you can access it without unstrapping.

Belmont31R
06-28-14, 00:57
They are made right here. The big brands are good enough for most. Yeti is for people that need stuff to last and under extreme conditions. If you don't fit that bill then you're better off cost wise getting an extra bag of ice during a weekend trip a few times a year.

Mak8080
06-28-14, 01:25
Here are some brands to look at....

Pelican, Engel, Brute, Grizzly, IRP, Canyon

I've owned Pelican, Yeti, Engel, IRP, Brute, and the run of the mill Igloos/Colemans. I've used them on my boats, camping, etc.

I believe the Yeti Tundras are not made in the USA. That's one reason I didn't like them. I'm really digging my two Pelicans right now, got a deal on them, but they're very heavy compared to similar models from the other manufacturers.

I have a Brute 75 and 100 from one of my sponsers that I'm currently rocking on the fishing rig. Great coolers and they're doing everything my Yeti's and Pelican's did. Although, not a big fan of their style handles.

With all the being said, it really depends on your intentions. If you plan on using this just to bring lunch to work, then they're all overkill and your buying for looks. If you're a dude that works in the 100 degree oil fields with a cooler in the back of your truck 24/7....then these will pay for itself versus the cheap coolers.

Honu
06-28-14, 01:32
costco has good or did prices on Pelican

Brute are the Texas company I seem to remember to lazy to google it ;)

Belmont31R
06-28-14, 01:41
costco has good or did prices on Pelican

Brute are the Texas company I seem to remember to lazy to google it ;)

I drive by Yeti every time I go to school. They're in Central Texas. :-)

Abraham
06-28-14, 11:25
Yeti has excellent marketing.

This is not a knock.

Until I visited this thread, I didn't know these brands of coolers: Pelican, Engel, Brute, Grizzly, IRP, Canyon.

Heck, I didn't Pelican made coolers, but their storage boxes are very well built. I mainlyuse them for kayak trips.

SilverBullet432
06-28-14, 12:12
Point. Any cooler will lose ice faster if you keep opening it every minute. Yeti's and clones were (are) built to take abuse.

06-28-14, 13:17
We keep kosher and traveling with food that needs to stay cold. Cooler may be Fed-Ex'd or go as checked baggage. In other words, the cooler has to be able to take abuse and keep food cold/fresh.

Are Yeti's lockable?

Moose-Knuckle
06-28-14, 14:39
Are Yeti's lockable?

Yes.

(see links for pics of several locking methods)
http://yeticoolers.com/bear-resistant-lock/

http://yeticoolers.com/security-cable-lock-bracket/

Honu
06-28-14, 18:19
Yeti and some nicer coolers are also OK for dry ice :) which in cheaper coolers can crack the cooler since its so cold

JackOSU
06-28-14, 20:11
I've heard good things about the K2 coolers. My uncle has the Summit 20 he uses on the farm etc. A little cheaper than the Yeti. I believe both are about the same quality.

Honu
06-28-14, 20:16
Some higher end coolers are bear rated :)
Also good latches mean when it falls out of your truck won't spill all contents out :)
Nice to stand on to load your roof rack

brickboy240
06-30-14, 15:34
A co-worker has one of the Yeti coolers.

It does seem to keep ice longer than any cooler I own. It is neat....but not 400 dollars neat.

YMMV if you have hard use needs.

montanadave
06-30-14, 18:47
If the donor heart for my transplant was coming from the Congo, I'd spring for a Yeti. Short of that, I'll make another ice run.

TXBK
07-01-14, 03:23
If the donor heart for my transplant was coming from the Congo, I'd spring for a Yeti. Short of that, I'll make another ice run.

That's pretty funny. It's all about durability. They do keep ice a little longer if you leave them shut, but the bottom line is they will last forever. Yeti is the only cooler that has survived living in the bed of my truck. I have spent about as much on cheap coolers in my life as I did on a Yeti. If you need a hard-use and can take abuse cooler, then get one. If you want one for ice preservation, I think you will be disappointed.

Smash
07-21-14, 21:04
Brother in law is keeping his at my house until his house is completed.

In front of it is an Olympic bar with 45s 25s and 10s
That's a full size ipad on top

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/F2SConsulting/F8EE269C-DDF7-4A0C-BA7A-A048B992C68E_zpsqpilvy08.jpg (http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/F2SConsulting/media/F8EE269C-DDF7-4A0C-BA7A-A048B992C68E_zpsqpilvy08.jpg.html)

hatidua
07-22-14, 10:30
There is no better cooler for keeping things cold for a long time than Frigid-Rigid (and they cost accordingly).

http://frigidrigid.com

CLHC
07-22-14, 18:42
Speaking of coolers, I saw this: Coolest Cooler (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4irb2K1p8E

SeriousStudent
07-22-14, 20:15
Brother in law is keeping his at my house until his house is completed.

In front of it is an Olympic bar with 45s 25s and 10s
That's a full size ipad on top

Dang, that is one big freezer! Yeti is not a brand name, that's a contents label!

Smash
07-22-14, 22:07
I really liked the Pelican coolers I messed with at SHOT. The latches are much nicer. However the rubber latches may be easier for use when standing at the back of the cooler reaching over the top to get into (if that makes sense) basically you don't need thumbs for the yeti latches.

Honu
07-22-14, 22:48
will be interesting to see how this is handled with the pelican
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/129193-Pelican-Coolers-My-Experience

not to be harsh on that frigid brand ?
don't want some metal thing sticking out to slice my leg on the latch catch looks like a bad design ? also one single latch ?
does not look like any padlock holes to lock them ? also would prefer rotomold over fiberglass :) and 2 inches of insulation I think I read ? not anything impressive sadly :(

Mak8080
07-23-14, 13:06
I really liked the Pelican coolers I messed with at SHOT. The latches are much nicer. However the rubber latches may be easier for use when standing at the back of the cooler reaching over the top to get into (if that makes sense) basically you don't need thumbs for the yeti latches.

Spoken like a true connoisseur. Personally, I don't like the rubber latches. Although this is one are where they shine. This is one of the first things I noticed when I had coolers (of both variant) on my boat and truck.

Irish
09-20-15, 08:10
I drive by Yeti every time I go to school. They're in Central Texas. :-)

And the Philippines.

WHERE ARE YOUR COOLERS MANUFACTURED?
Our coolers are manufactured in the USA at facilities located in Iowa and Wisconsin as well as at a facility located in the Philippines. Want a YETI made in the USA? Call us at (512) 394-9384 and we’ll make it happen.

pinzgauer
09-20-15, 10:06
I used to be interested in Yeti and similar until I borrowed an ARB electric for a trip. Never going back to ice, have a Waeco now and love it. Smaller for the same amount of contents (remember, half the space of traditional coolers is used for ice), and it will freeze if needed. Even without a house battery it will stay 33 overnight and still allow cranking. And is smart enough to shut down if cranking voltage is a risk.

TXBK
09-20-15, 12:06
I used to be interested in Yeti and similar until I borrowed an ARB electric for a trip. Never going back to ice, have a Waeco now and love it. Smaller for the same amount of contents (remember, half the space of traditional coolers is used for ice), and it will freeze if needed. Even without a house battery it will stay 33 overnight and still allow cranking. And is smart enough to shut down if cranking voltage is a risk.

Those would be awesome for food, but I think that I would still prefer to keep a large quantity of drinks on ice. I may change my mind after I get one, one of these days.

I am anxious to see if the RTIC Coolers (https://www.rticcoolers.com/) make their appearance. I should see mine in Oct-Nov if they do. Yeti has filed a lawsuit against them, but I'm not exactly sure about the details. Compared to the Yeti, the RTIC coolers are true to size, have a molded-in handle that makes opening the lid easier, and are half the price.

Irish
09-20-15, 12:35
I am anxious to see if the RTIC Coolers (https://www.rticcoolers.com/) make their appearance. I should see mine in Oct-Nov if they do.

Thanks for posting that! Better price, better warranty, better return policy. I'm sold.

mattpittinger
09-20-15, 16:25
I own 4 yetis and 1 igloo yukon, personally I think the yukon holds ice just a little better. They all wont hold ice for shit if your in and out of them all the time. I work in the oilfield and we are in that cooler all day, and generally i can keep ice all day, which is a feat in texas heat. Where these coolers really shine is durability, most of the guys i work with go through cheap coolers at least once every one or two months, you get what you pay for.

wilson1911
09-20-15, 16:32
I have had many expensive coolers. None of them keep ice longer than a pelican. I hate the latches tho. I took a hammer and broke mine off. Yeti has a better style and latches, but are not really that good. Even Engel is better. I am a oilfield worker also. Lots of heat all day every day.

Irish
09-20-15, 19:08
Grizzly offers a lifetime warranty on their coolers. http://www.grizzlycoolers.com

AKDoug
09-20-15, 19:48
My wife won a Grizzly 15 at the beginning of summer in a raffle. She gave it to me and I have beat the crap out of it all summer. Hell, I use it for a step stool all the time. I am totally happy with it and it holds ice like crazy.

tampam4
09-21-15, 09:14
Throwing another name in the pot. Polar Bear Coolers.

I've had the 24 pack (holds 24 cans plus all the ice you need) H20 for several months, it's been used at the range, camping, kayaking, offroading etc etc.

http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/product/24-pack-H2O.html

I am super happy with it and glad I went with a soft sided cooler. The zipper is "waterproof" from the outside in, but will leak ice water if you tilt it too far or turn it upside down. I still love it. They also have smaller sizes and bigger ones, as well as some backpack coolers. Lots of tie down points on the cooler, stitching seem to be really tough, both side buckles work as bottle openers. you can pull the liner inside out of the cooler itself to clean it up.

My only concern is the liner itself. If you have any sharp objects inside the cooler, they could potentially cut or puncture the liner. I might have a 15 or 20% coupon code hiding somewhere, if anyone is interested. (I have no affiliation with Polar Bear Coolers, other than a one time customer.)

billybronco
09-21-15, 12:33
Rtic Coolers.........Half.......Literally HALF the price of Yeti AND a longer warranty.

Artos
09-21-15, 13:36
I have been impressed with the YETI Hopper if anyone is looking for an overkill / top shelf soft side cooler...several members on a hunting forum I frequent have their orders in for the RTIC coolers & am waiting for feedback before I order.

The initial launch products should be touching down in 30-45 days...these are clearly direct knock offs of Yeti & they already have lawyers involved as one would expect.

Moose-Knuckle
09-21-15, 22:50
Rtic Coolers.........Half.......Literally HALF the price of Yeti AND a longer warranty.

Yeah I think I'm going to pick up one of these!

brickboy240
09-22-15, 10:33
Don't tell me how we have a bad economy or hard times when so many have 400 dollars to blow on a beer cooler.

SilverBullet432
09-22-15, 11:23

Probably made in China?

TXBK
09-22-15, 11:31
Don't tell me how we have a bad economy or hard times when so many have 400 dollars to blow on a beer cooler.

I'm not sure that is a good representation of the state of our economy, and there also seems to be a common industry involved here. Besides, every good and dedicated beer drinker needs a bomb-proof cooler for their tasty lil buddies.

TXBK
09-22-15, 11:35
Probably made in China?

Without a doubt, these are not made in the USA. From the RTIC FAQ (https://www.rticcoolers.com/faq#made) on their website.

Where are your coolers made?

Like other major competitors, the RTIC coolers are made in China in order to provide the best quality at the lowest price to you, the consumer. Just like many of the outdoor products you will buy at your favorite sporting goods store; overseas manufacturing is a cost effective way for retailers to provide an affordable product to its customers.

wildcard600
09-22-15, 12:56
i'll stick with the cheapo igloo that i won in a raffle 5 years ago. thanks.

Artos
09-22-15, 13:40
Mfg overseas, no middle man, no sales force, no disty's, etc...built, put on a boat & then drop shipped direct to consumer.

Probably made in China?

brickboy240
09-22-15, 13:43
I love it when people get all bothered about where their cooler is made while they type on a Chinese made computer and probably use a Chinese made I-phone and drive a Toyota.

LOL

wildcard600
09-22-15, 13:57
I love it when people get all bothered about where their cooler is made while they type on a Chinese made computer and probably use a Chinese made I-phone and drive a Toyota.

LOL

Show me a american made computer and i will buy one the next time i have to upgrade. my toyota was built in the US.

SilverBullet432
09-22-15, 15:56

Yet here we are on a website which discusses several thousand dollar weapon systems and optics.

LOL

You wouldn't buy a chinese Aimpoint would you?

Point im making is these are a blatant rip off of an American made product. I wouldn't want one just because of its cheap(er) price. Fyi, I dont own a yeti.

brickboy240
09-22-15, 16:01
The Chinese Aimpoint would not have a better warranty, where the Rtic cooler does. Big difference.

That and the fact that it is half the price and yes...I might buy that over a Yeti. However, I have a kid going to college soon so a 200 or 400 dollar cooler is out of the question. YMMV.

If one has the means and need for a 400 dollar cooler...go for it. I am sure a 100k dollar car is wonderful as well but again...not in my budget.

TXBK
09-22-15, 18:30
Point I'm making is these are a blatant rip off of an American made product. I wouldn't want one just because of its cheap(er) price. FYI, I don't own a yeti.

Not all Yeti coolers are manufactured in the USA. RTIC is open about where they manufacture their coolers, but I am not sure if they are foreigners ripping off a sometimes American made product or not. RTIC is based in Houston. They may be Americans making a better and cheaper version of a sometimes American made product. I own Yeti products, and will hopefully be in possession of some RTIC products soon. I think Yeti products are too high, and maybe this competition will cause them to lower their prices. I probably would have tried RTIC at a quarter of the price of a Yeti, but at half price it is a no-brainer for me. The warranty isn't a huge selling point for me, because after a few years of use I have yet to need Yeti's warranty and don't expect to. The size and price are the attractive points in my eyes. These days, being able to say that everything you own is "Made in the USA" is extremely difficult, if not almost impossible.

I'm am not 100% positive, but Yeti's lawsuit may have something to do with RTIC's website. The RTIC website is eerily similar to Yeti's, and I have read that the website is the reason for the lawsuit.

Moose-Knuckle
09-23-15, 13:46
Yet here we are on a website which discusses several thousand dollar weapon systems and optics.

You wouldn't buy a chinese Aimpoint would you?

Point im making is these are a blatant rip off of an American made product. I wouldn't want one just because of its cheap(er) price. Fyi, I dont own a yeti.

Big difference between a plastic box who's sole purpose is to keep beer cold an RDS on a life saving tool that might get humped, jumped, and swam.

pinzgauer
09-23-15, 19:00
The Chinese Aimpoint would not have a better warranty, where the Rtic cooler does. Big difference.

Not sure that's entirely true... Ncstar has a great warranty. Which is good as you have to use if often.

I have two ncstart optics I'd give away as I waste more in ammo dealing with failures and sighting back in than getting an Aimpoint pro or eotech costs