PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory Mil-Spec Operator?

VA_Dinger
10-09-06, 21:40
Anybody ever heard of the SA Mil-Spec Operator model? Got a picture or link? Obviously it sounds like a standard Mil-Spec except its build on an integral light railed frame. It sounds like a sweet base gun to me, but I cannot find a single reference to this model anywhere.

I emailed SA, but they only send me a link to their MC Operator.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jmart
10-09-06, 22:40
I've never heard of it and SA hasn't seemed to have heard of it. I've got their catalog and it's not listed. Not to be a dickhead, but why do think it exists? Have you heard of it from somewhere?

trio
10-09-06, 23:07
it exists...it also has been discontinued...

i am sorry i dont have a link for it...

springfield made an operator line in each of their classes of guns for a while...mil spec, loaded and trp...

like the more commonly seen trp operators made before this year, all of these guns had a full length rail that ran all the way out the dust cover...

i believe it was 2 or 3 years ago that springfield introduced the marine corps operator when they were trying to get the deal that the kimber warrior won...at that point the loaded operator and mil spec operator went away...

the TRP operator retained the full length light rail until this year, when springfield changed it to the half rail that is common on all railed 1911s

one of the things i always hated about my trp operator was the guide rod capture design for disassembly...the loaded and mil spec operators had a barrel bushing, so i always thought maybe i would prefer those....

its very hard to find pictures of springfields discontinued guns...i recently bougt a springfield compact (commander slide on officer's frame) which they havent made in a while, and it was a pain in the ass tracking down info on it...

dinger, there is a loaded operator for sale on arf.com right now...i have seen both milspec and loaded operators at gun shows in VA...most recently at the nation's gun show last july...

i will look for a pic

EDIT: If you scroll down in this thread you will see a picture of one:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=9016&highlight=spec+operator

can see the gi grip safety...

jmart
10-09-06, 23:30
The catalog lists three operator models:

(a) Lightweight Champion Operator -- 4" barrel, alum frame (29 oz)

(b) Lightweight Operator -- 5" barrel, alum frame (31 oz)

(c) Loaded Full Sized MC Operator -- 5" barrel, steel frame (40 oz)
The MC designation I believe stands for micro-compact. It's a short butt with a std top end.

All prices are listed as P.O.R.

Resq47
10-10-06, 01:51
PB9105L (from that linked thread)

That's a funky critter, and I had never seen one until tonight...

99medic
10-10-06, 02:10
It does exist. Because I bought one when it first came out a few years ago.

Steve_Morrison
10-10-06, 17:23
They do exist and the part number given above is correct.
In their infinite wisdom, Springfield has discontinued offering a Plain vanilla rail gun. I have built "a couple" Direct Action and Spartan pistols and been very happy with the results. Some guys really like the extra heft of the long dustcover, some, don't. For those who don't the dustcover can be machined down and recontoured.

There are still new pistols out there, you just have to look long and hard, I think they discontiued this model in late 2003.

olds442tyguy
10-11-06, 15:04
Straight from the SA website. (You can get old pictures by replacing the part numbers.)

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9105LLarge.jpg

gene
10-11-06, 18:07
I bought a Mil-Spec Operator when they first came out. It was a simple Mil-Spec 1911, with the long dustcover. I’ve had it re-worked, great gun.
If you can get a good deal on one I would grab it. Mine has a Surefire X200, and looks a lot more worn now, but I have never had any problems with it.
(5,500 Rounds)
Gene

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/gener/fa481e97.jpg