PDA

View Full Version : Replace stocks M-4

Pic&Shovel6
10-11-06, 14:05
I need to replace the stock on my AR-15/M4; Do I need any special tools to remove old stock and do I need to Tourque the receiver extension tube when I put the new one on? Any suggestions?

Hoplophile
10-11-06, 17:21
What is the old stock and what is the new stock?

For an A1 or A2 style fixed stock you need a flat-head screwdriver for the screw in top of the buttplate and a wrench for the buffer tube. If you've got a set of SAE open end wrenches or an adjsutable wrench then you should be fine.

If you're removing or installing a collapsable stock then you'll need the wrench for the nut at the front of the stock. The nut is a smooth ring that will have some small round holes for a spanner wrench or will have 4 equidistant notches in the back of it for a castle nut wrench.

Pic&Shovel6
10-11-06, 19:32
Replacing Pinned Tele-stock, with real 6 position tele-stock. I have an armor's wrench with the correct fitting for the locking nut, but I am wondering if there is anything special I will need to do to remove the old receiver extension and install the new one

Robb Jensen
10-11-06, 19:37
Does it have a castle type nut or the older smooth one with a hole in it. This is what it boils down to which is what type of wrench you will need. Where are you located? If in northern VA come see me, I'll do it free.

Pic&Shovel6
10-11-06, 19:46
Thanks. It is the castle nut and I do have correct wrench to remove it, but do I need anything special for receiver extension?
I live in NJ...

Robb Jensen
10-11-06, 19:54
Thanks. It is the castle nut and I do have correct wrench to remove it, but do I need anything special for receiver extension?
I live in NJ...

Loosen the castle nut with the tool (counter clockwise from the back end to loosen), spin it back about 3/4" and pull the place toward the castle nut, remove the takedown pin spring and while controlling the buffer detent spin the receiver extension count clockwise and remove the extension from the lower.

Pic&Shovel6
10-11-06, 20:02
Thanks again. One last thing any particular wrench or is just hand tight? Two last things just reverse order assemble. Any special notes?

Thanks again. I am just learning and maybe I'll tackle a build of an upper later.

Robb Jensen
10-11-06, 20:46
Thanks again. One last thing any particular wrench or is just hand tight? Two last things just reverse order assemble. Any special notes?

Thanks again. I am just learning and maybe I'll tackle a build of an upper later.

I use a vise with a lower receiver block (it holds the lower at the magwell) and tighten hand tight. Then I stake the plate to the castle nut with a spring loaded Starrett punch.

The wrench I use is this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/M4stockwrench.jpg