PDA

View Full Version : Eotech 551 Battery Life?

VA_Dinger
06-14-06, 13:56
I'm wondering what kind of battery life you guys are getting from your EoTech 551's? I have never gotten more than three full class days. On day four they are dead or dying. I have tried several different battery brands and cannot see a difference between them. What kind of battery life are you guys getting? I have spoken with Grant about it and he seems to think it might need to go back to be checked out. I don't want to go through the trouble if this is normal. Maybe I've just had bad luck with my battery buying. The optic itself works like a champ. I'm just wondering about the battery life.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve
06-14-06, 15:20
You arent alone,

I am not going to start the this optics that optics thread.

MY EO's both N and AA had terrible battery life. and one or two other issues that were solved by Eotech... since iam in michigan.

I eneded up switching to new sighting unit!

The 553 if i ever get my hands on one to run and try.

I just had 2 students in my last class one his eo came off his gun no Thread locker on it (his fault)

another had to change his n batts twice in 5 days of training...

other than that there a great unit very fast on target just battery issue and a few other touches i would love to see done to the unit

VA_Dinger
06-14-06, 15:35
I have had great luck with my 552. The AA batteries seem to hold up just fine.

C4IGrant
06-14-06, 16:14
According to EOTech you should be able to get around 250-300 hours out of the N batts. The main problem with the type N batts is that they were most likely sitting on a shelf for 6 months to a year before you ever buy them. Alkaline batts have a VERY short shelf life unlike Lithium batts.

C4

VA_Dinger
06-14-06, 16:55
According to EOTech you should be able to get around 250-300 hours out of the N batts. The main problem with the type N batts is that they were most likely sitting on a shelf for 6 months to a year before you ever buy them. Alkaline batts have a VERY short shelf life unlike Lithium batts.

C4

Thanks Grant, I also think this is at least partially a battery buying issue. It's just another reason why I switched over to the AA battery powered 552.

Boom
06-14-06, 16:56
Same problems here. My 551 runs around three full days then dies off. I think Grant is correct in the battery shelf life. I get my batts from Lowes 2.97 a pack or Circuit City 2.00 bucks a pack.

Harv
06-15-06, 21:32
So you guys probably don't wanna here I'm on my original Battery on my ML2 Aimpoint from 3 years ago......:p

Steve
06-15-06, 22:59
You to huh harv!

HALO 20
06-16-06, 02:02
i have a n model as well and yes it drinks batteries..............i read some where that the newer eothingies had improved batttery life........Eotech said that they fixed the problem...

DFinnegan
06-16-06, 09:27
The battery life for the N Cell HWS (511 and 551) is approxiamtely 240 hours of continuous run time at the nominal setting of 12 (the level the sight turns on at). If you are using older revision levels, E or above (anything produced before Feb 2004), you will see significantly less battery life. The battery life is also assuming nominal environmental conditions. This means that if you are using the sight in cold or hot conditions, the battery run time will change (as with most alkeline powered products). Additionally, the higher you turn the brightness, the shorter your battery life will be.

Boom
06-16-06, 10:27
The battery life for the N Cell HWS (511 and 551) is approxiamtely 240 hours of continuous run time at the nominal setting of 12 (the level the sight turns on at). If you are using older revision levels, E or above (anything produced before Feb 2004), you will see significantly less battery life. The battery life is also assuming nominal environmental conditions. This means that if you are using the sight in cold or hot conditions, the battery run time will change (as with most alkeline powered products). Additionally, the higher you turn the brightness, the shorter your battery life will be.

Mr. Finnegan thank you for posting. My 551 rev F tends to chew batteries up but I do get three full days/72 hrs from the unit. This takes place over a two to three month period. I do run the optic on a high settings due to the bright Florida sun. I also think it has much to do with the heat as well, sitting inside parked cars, safes, etc... It also gets hot down here on the ranges which are mostly sand. Couple that with the fact the batteris tend to sit inside stores for unknown lengths of time and you get weak batteries. Batteries are cheap and my 552 models run for long periods with good batteries. Overall I'm very happy with EOTechs optics. They have come a long long way in improvements.

Any idea when the 553 will be in full production?

Razoreye
06-16-06, 11:06
Any idea when the 553 will be in full production?Googling it - I see a bunch of places to already buy the 553 from for ~500 dollars. That might not mean anything though.

What's new/different about the 553?

jmart
06-16-06, 12:51
Any color you would like as long as it's flat dark earth.

Integrated ARMS levers.

Taller, so it already allows lower 3rd cowitnessing.

CR123 batteries.

C4IGrant
06-16-06, 13:28
Googling it - I see a bunch of places to already buy the 553 from for ~500 dollars. That might not mean anything though.

What's new/different about the 553?

The 553 has not been fully released yet. The EOTech has been raised so your irons will be in the lower 1/3. It has dual ARMS throw levers, tethered battery comparment, uses two CR123A batteries and will initially onle be available in DE. Black & OD will be available at a later date.

C4

Razoreye
06-16-06, 23:54
Thanks. I don't think that's worth 500 dollar price tags I've seen but maybe that will come down. To each his own.

M4arc
06-17-06, 09:35
Like everyone else here I only get a class out of my 551 batteries before they need to be replaced. It sucks but now that I know about it I can plan accordingly and have plenty of spares available.

I'm not going to go through the hassle of replacing it because, to be honest, even if I was running my 552 I would still replace the batteries before a class just to be on the safe side.

USMC
06-19-06, 00:02
I'm geting around 150 hrs with my 551, but I normally run it with the brightness down some. I use energizer brand batteries and have tried to keep a good tab on the run time just out of curiosity.

Cold Zero
06-28-06, 00:17
i get good battery life out of duracell aa batts for my 552.:confused:

M193 BALL
08-25-06, 21:51
on my 3rd set of batts 551

I like this little sight better than the AA models

the 551 sits on my LMT M4 upper wich sits on a bushmaster/VLTOR lower so I got space for extra batts