PDA

View Full Version : Buffer suggestion for AR

Neeglik
10-30-06, 16:32
Fine tuning my current guns and was wondering.....

What buffer would you guys suggest for a 20" AR (w/TA31F Acog) with a rifle length gas system and Vltor Carbine modstock?

Right now I have a H buffer in, but wondering if I should use something else as this is my current, quasi-precision gun. I'm hoping to steady things out for quicker follow up shots.

Thanks..

bigbore
10-30-06, 17:49
If its not broke dont fix it.

deadwood83
10-30-06, 18:21
The endine is always an option but if your rifle has worked fine so far then it's kinda dropping $90 just for kicks.

Robb Jensen
10-30-06, 18:29
Standard CAR buffer should work fine.

Neeglik
10-31-06, 03:13
Roger that guys. The gun runs fine with the H buffer. Just thought that the heavier buffers would possibly lighten the felt recoil.

deadwood83
11-06-06, 21:45
I am inclined to think that the heavier buffers only lighten recoil to a point. The lightest 'feeling' recoil i've ever experienced was with a JP low-mass buffer & bolt. It took away that 2-stage recoil feeling similar to that of a Browning A5. It also made the recoil just a quick pop on the shoulder. Very similar to a light-recoiling bolt action rifle. However I would NEVER use a system like that if my life depended on it.

The physics of it are explained on JP's site. All about how much of the recoil feel is the mass being translated from carrier to shoulder etc.

Having said that, I use an M16 weight carrier (chrome plated as I spend 3 hours cleaning anyway) and Endine Hydraulic buffer. The Endine recuces felt recoil a lot when shooting offhand but you won't notice a thing shooting bench.

KevinB
11-06-06, 21:57
I would say - keep it...

The Canadian Army's Life Cycle Material Manager Small Arms (LCMM-SA) determined that with a carbine buttstock the H2 buffer was the most versatile for weapons that will have 20" - 10" uppers placed upon them. So all new CF weapons (M16FOW) have the H2 buffer

When I build guns -- I pretty much strictly use H2 buffers -- but if the system works with a H buffer I dont bother swapping it out.