PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson 1911's

VA_Dinger
10-31-06, 12:45
Anybody have a clue about Smith & Wesson 1911's? How about the Performance Center hopped up models?

DrMark
10-31-06, 13:10
IIRC, the S&W 1911 "Gunsite Model" was reviewed in SWAT a few months ago.

bigbore
10-31-06, 13:40
Anybody have a clue about Smith & Wesson 1911's? How about the Performance Center hopped up models?

IMO, they are the best production 1911s in their price range.

Milkman
10-31-06, 16:04
The S&W's seem to have a pretty high failure rate on their small parts. A quick search of the 1911 message board has a lot of individual failures (all the MIM parts).

SinnFéinM1911
10-31-06, 18:12
I have a Scandium S&W 1911, and I have no complaints. I had the US Army AMU work it over a couple weeks ago (Thanks Kel ) and it shoots like a house of fire !

Now I just have to figure out how to pull the darn trigger ...

mark5pt56
10-31-06, 19:26
:eek: This is MY opinion---leave the toys at home and take the tools to work, did I say any brand that works from the box? I shop at the Glock section.

K.L. Davis
10-31-06, 20:13
From what I am hearing, they have a pretty nice gun -- if you took one as a base and replaced a few parts, checked it out, a little polishing and stuff... I bet you would have a damn nice gun!

Of course it is sort of sad that you have to plan on where to send your 1000 dollar gun to have it worked before you even take it to the range :(

SuicideHz
11-01-06, 09:26
My FFL will be ordering the #108285 for me this morning:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/108285_thumb.jpg

Info Here:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14721&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15709&isFirearm=Y

* External Extractor
* Single Slide Serrations
* GI Spec Recoil Guide
* 5" 1911 Configuration
* Carbon Steel Frame and Slide with Polished Flats on Slide
* Standard GI Recoil Guide
* External Extractor For Extremely High Reliability
* Laminated Double Diamond Walnut Grips with Silver Smith & Wesson Medallions
* Novak Lo-Mount Carry Sights

Caliber: .45ACP
Capacity: 8+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 5"
Front Sight: Dot Front Sight
Rear Sight: Novak Lo Mount Carry
Grip: Wood Grips
External Safety: Single Side
Frame: Large
Finish: Blue/Black
Overall Length: 8 3/4"
Material: Carbon Steel Frame and Slide
Weight Empty: 38.5 oz.

I'm getting it for $775 new, out the door. It is pictured with Wilson Combat magazines/pads but I've seen them at funshows with Novak(?) pads with the more angular "finger rest" type shape.

Dave Berryhill
11-01-06, 10:19
Good pistol but I wish S&W would use the wider extractor all their 1911s and not just in the Performance Center pistols.

bullitt5172
11-01-06, 12:57
Good pistol but I wish S&W would use the wider extractor all their 1911s and not just in the Performance Center pistols.

....and no Swartz type firing pin safety. Other than that the S&W is a good gun.

SuicideHz
11-01-06, 13:22
I can get rid of that FPS safety, can't I?

VA_Dinger
11-01-06, 21:45
So the "Performance Center" is S&W's custom shop?

bullitt5172
11-02-06, 07:38
So the "Performance Center" is S&W's custom shop?

Correct, they seem to do a good job on the PC guns. I haven't read anything bad about them. They use a lot of Wilson parts on the PC guns, sights, safeties, magwell etc. Well put together and great accuracy from the ones I have shot.

Admin
11-02-06, 10:17
I have the Scandium 1911PD and it's always run just fine. The fit and finish are acceptable for a production gun... The thumb safety needed a little finessing, some machining marks visible inside the slide, and a small ledge was left on the breechface. Never affected the accuracy, just left a little mark on the brass. Either way it was easy enough to knock it down with a small scraper.

The bbl crown is hideous to look at but I'll be damned if the thing isn't accurate as anything. I've been tempted to recrown it but can't really justify it for any reason other than looks.

The melonite finish on the slide has been VERY durable. I carry this thing just about every day, in both leather and kydex and there isn't a single wear mark yet. The black anodized frame seems to be a lot more fragile. It's showing some wear under the thumb safety when it's in the "on" position.. but who cares... it's not like rust is a concern.

In the first 200 rnds I had a couple feed failures that were most likely due to mag issues. After that it hasn't given me a single problem.

SuicideHz
11-07-06, 22:33
Admin- isn't there a method to crown a barrel using some sort of steel bearing and lapping compound? I thought I remember reading about that a long time ago- maybe around the time of the AWB sunset when people were talking about removing brakes, etc.

I thought it simply involved a little lapping compound and the correct sized bearing that you just slowly roll around the end of the barrel...

RyanS
11-07-06, 22:52
Admin- isn't there a method to crown a barrel using some sort of steel bearing and lapping compound? I thought I remember reading about that a long time ago- maybe around the time of the AWB sunset when people were talking about removing brakes, etc.

I thought it simply involved a little lapping compound and the correct sized bearing that you just slowly roll around the end of the barrel...

I recall seeing this over on one of the 1911 forums. IIRC, the results looked pretty nice.

Admin
11-08-06, 00:23

Yeah, there's a few methods that sound pretty easy... I've even heard that the steel ball from an old mouse works perfect for this. Just cut off the rubber coating.

Honestly I've been VERY tempted to do it... but I always talk myself out of it. It shoots straight as an arrow as it is, so i worry the only way to go from there is worse. The one benefit I could see it offering is a bit of increased durability and protection. As it stands now, a good whack on the muzzle could throw things off. A nicely recessed crown would shield it a bit. (the benefit of saving the embarrasment of someone laughing at my crappy bbl crown while being held at gunpoint goes without saying :D )

SuicideHz
11-08-06, 08:26
Well heck, I have an old mouse at home with a ball in it. He only has one and isn't very productive with it, so I might as well fully neuter him! :D

I would say the size of the ball determines the degree of crown though...

Dave Berryhill
11-08-06, 08:46
Admin- isn't there a method to crown a barrel using some sort of steel bearing and lapping compound?l...

There are plenty of gunsmithing projects that can be done at home but this one never made sense to me, at least not on a pistol with a removeable barrel like a 1911. There are plenty of gunsmiths that charge about $20 - $25 to recrown a pistol barrel using a 4-jaw chuck in the lathe. The barrel can be adjusted in the lathe to less than .0005 (half a thousandth) runout and then the crown is cut. You can ship the barrel by any (cheap) method so you don't have to pay for overnight service like you do with a firearm.

I'm not trolling for work here, I'm saying that having your pistol barrel professionally recrowned is a bargain.

Also, IIRC the S&W barrel crown isn't recessed at all so it can be easily dinged.

SuicideHz
11-08-06, 09:39
Dave- how about I hold you to the numbers you just gave me?

10-8 performance sights? I'd like a front nite-sight or even 3-dot. Tell me more. I currently have the LoPro Novaks...

Dave Berryhill
11-08-06, 17:00
My price for recrowning the muzzle is $20. I really wasn't trolling for work. I'll be glad to re-cut your crown but due to a large backlog, I really can't take any other work besides that.

PM sent.

VA_Dinger
11-09-06, 14:06
I really wasn't trolling for work.

PM sent.

Dave, you never have to worry about that on M4carbine.

Whenever somebody like you offers his services it's fine with us.

:)