PDA

View Full Version : KX3 - Are they usually tough to thread on?

afdude23
11-12-06, 00:42
I just received my Noveske barrel as well as my KX3.

I tried to screw the KX3 onto the barrel and it is tight as hell. I can get it about half way on by hand and that is all. I tried to put it (KX3) on my Bushmaster barrel and was able to get it on all the way. I tried to put my Vortex on the Noveske barrel and it went on all the way.

Is it normal for the KX3 to be tight when screwing it onto the Noveske barrel?

C4IGrant
11-12-06, 07:45
I just received my Noveske barrel as well as my KX3.

I tried to screw the KX3 onto the barrel and it is tight as hell. I can get it about half way on by hand and that is all. I tried to put it (KX3) on my Bushmaster barrel and was able to get it on all the way. I tried to put my Vortex on the Noveske barrel and it went on all the way.

Is it normal for the KX3 to be tight when screwing it onto the Noveske barrel?

They should just screw one with your hand. Inspect the threads for any kind of damage and then clean them well (on the barrel and KX3). If that doesn't work, give Noveske a call.

C4

DocGKR
11-12-06, 17:29
We had 2 or 3 that were very difficult to turn, while the SE Vortex and A2 on the same barrel screwed right into place.

madryan
11-12-06, 18:27
Don't remember what he's making them out of, but if it's stainless and the insert they cut the threads with was the least bit chipped up then you can end up with threads that class just fine but are hard to screw on. If it's heat treated Chromoly like 4140 or something then you can have scale from the heat treat process in the threads. I usually chase threads after we've done everything to the part if it involved anything where the threads can pack up with scale or ceramic crap from the tumbler.

If cleaning doesn't work, I'd have a gunsmith run a 1/2 X 28 tap down into the thing to clean up the threads.

afdude23
11-12-06, 19:45
Ended up cleaning up the threads as suggested on the KX3 and it went right on.

Thanks guys:D