PDA

View Full Version : Question on SIG 226s -- Got It! (pics)

RyanS
11-15-06, 17:48
After handling a friend's 226, I've got the bug to get one again. Problem is however that I don't want to spend the price there going for around here...$800+ for a NIB 226R, and $600 for a CPO 226 with the old style slide. To cut to the chase, ran into an old friend of mine at the gun shop the other day and he told me that he had a 226 that he was looking to sell. He bought it from a friend, shot it once and then put it in the safe. He's a 1911 buff and wanted to see what a SIG shot like. Anyways, I met up with him yesterday to take a look at the SIG. It was a older style carbon stamped style slide and was in super shape. Has the old style cardboard box, two mags, and all paperwork. Here's the kicker, he only wants $400 for it. I of course couldn't refuse and told him that I would get him the cash this weekend. However, I am just wondering, is the extra cost for the new style stainless slide and rail worth it? Are the newer guns better than the old style guns?

Picked it up. I think I got a good deal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dissident74/IMG_2169.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dissident74/IMG_2168.jpg

Joe R.
11-15-06, 19:03
The 226 is by far the most durable of the Sigs. The old ones hold up very well.

Unless you have some burning desire for a rail I'd jump on this deal. Don't forget the Surefire Classic system lights are still out there and the Sig units were by far the cheapest back in "the day".

TOrrock
11-15-06, 19:24
My P226 is an older stamped slide pistol and it just runs and runs and runs.....

No worries man.

You got a hell of a deal.

madryan
11-15-06, 20:40
After handling a friend's 226, I've got the bug to get one again. Problem is however that I don't want to spend the price there going for around here...$800+ for a NIB 226R, and $600 for a CPO 226 with the old style slide. To cut to the chase, ran into an old friend of mine at the gun shop the other day and he told me that he had a 226 that he was looking to sell. He bought it from a friend, shot it once and then put it in the safe. He's a 1911 buff and wanted to see what a SIG shot like. Anyways, I met up with him yesterday to take a look at the SIG. It was a older style carbon stamped style slide and was in super shape. Has the old style cardboard box, two mags, and all paperwork. Here's the kicker, he only wants $400 for it. I of course couldn't refuse and told him that I would get him the cash this weekend. However, I am just wondering, is the extra cost for the new style stainless slide and rail worth it? Are the newer guns better than the old style guns?

My 13 year old 229 is IMO a nicer gun than my Wife's new 229. You can't go wrong with any of the Sigs.

Dave Berryhill
11-15-06, 22:13
The milled slide was made because the sheet metal slide wasn't strong enough for the .40 S&W cartridge. If Sig hadn't decided to chamber the P226 in .40, they'd probably still be using the original sheet metal slide, which is plenty strong enough for 9mm.

liberty911
11-22-06, 06:15
That is a horrible deal! You should give me that guys number so that I can give him a peice of my mind! ;) J/K

I would jump on that deal. Prices for Sigs is gonna do nothing but go up in the future.

LukeMacGillie
11-22-06, 08:58
The milled slide was made because the sheet metal slide wasn't strong enough for the .40 S&W cartridge. If Sig hadn't decided to chamber the P226 in .40, they'd probably still be using the original sheet metal slide, which is plenty strong enough for 9mm.

But its not too good with the 228 in 9mm. Ive seen a whole bunch of 228s with cracked slide rails in the last few months,

If you dont replace the recoil spring when it needs it, all the force gets transfered to the pinned in breechblock, breaking the outer and inner pins, and transfering all the force onto the RH side rail.

Thats my exp with the 228, the larger gun may be different.

But I ended up purchasing my own personal 229R after being issued one.

TOrrock
11-22-06, 10:10
I'd say you got a screamin' deal!

I actually prefer the older style grips like yours.

RyanS
11-22-06, 14:07
I've been busy with work and family so I haven't had a chance to shoot it...yet. I plan on taking it out this weekend as the weather promises to be warm.

Based upon from what I saw after getting it home and apart for a cleaning, it was shot very, very little. There is some holster wear which can't be seen in the pictures due to the flash drowning it out. But other than that and being told it was shot, you would think that it was a NIB gun. I'm thinking about sending it off to SIG for their service plan, short trigger installation, and maybe a reblue.

TOrrock
11-22-06, 16:46
If you're going to refinish it, I'd do something more rust resistant than SIG's blue.

GunKote, Robar, Black T.....etc. SIG matte blue isn't very rust or wear resistant.

Definitely have a certified SIG armorer install the short trigger though if it's going to be more comfortable for you.

DBLTAP!556
11-22-06, 17:48
You can't go wrong with SIG. Good quality pistols, I have a 226 9MM for my CCW and trust it with my life..

I'm looking at getting another SIG in the future. as soon as I catch up with a couple of AR builds. Once again, Good deal you got on that SIG! and enjoy it! stay safe..

DT!

TOrrock
11-22-06, 19:04
I'd also suggest a set of Meprolight night sights. That's the only modification I've done to my SIG and both my SIG and Beretta wear them.

I like them better than Trijicon's, but both brands are top notch.

LukeMacGillie
11-22-06, 20:14
+1 on the Meprolights.

I cant articulate why, but in non lowlight situations I shoot my 229R so much better with the Meps.

TOrrock
11-22-06, 20:44
+1 on the Meprolights.

I cant articulate why, but in non lowlight situations I shoot my 229R so much better with the Meps.

The white circles around the tritium element tend to pull my eyes to the target faster.

Bonk2029
11-24-06, 20:05
I picked up one of the Toledo (OH) PD trade-in P226's that are floating around, and it is rapidly becoming one of my favorite pistols. I paid $350 for it, and while it has some minor holster wear on the slide and frame, and the two magazines that came with it had a little surface rust, I am hugely happy with it. According to the date stamp on the frame, it's a 1991, and the Trijicons are 1993 issue (still bright enough to be useable too).

I have a pair of Hogue panel grips (I just can't get used to the old style checkered grips) and a ITI bolt-on rail on order, but that's all I plan on doing to it for a couple of years, other than shooting it, that is. My plan is to shoot the snot out of it for two or three years, then send it off to get Robar'd and the Trijicons replaced, then shooting the snot out of it for another 15 years. :cool:

KevinB
11-26-06, 19:33
Re: the night sights -- the contrast -- they have both dark and light in the sights -- so you see the light against a dark background and the dark against a light background -- I use Trijicons on my Sigs - but to each their own on brands of nigthsights.