PDA

View Full Version : Do green glocks and tan glocks exist?????

shark31
11-16-06, 13:24
A buddy of mine was just in Gun Gallery (the shop that newARguy from TOS works in) in Jacksonville, Fla. He said that there were two glock 17's or 19's that he saw side by side, one that was GREEN, and one that was a very dark tan.

I had posted on TOS if there were tan glocks, and everyone told me that I needed to get an OD glock, that they look tan. Now I find out that there really is a green glock. I don't want to order the wrong one.

Can anyone tell me if Glock has changed the color of the "OD" frames to a green color??????? Or is this a special run? I would like to get a frame that is this color:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/shark31/jyogi21.jpg

Should I start looking for older "OD" frames? Has Glock changed the color? Is this green frame my buddy saw a special run? Please help me out! Also, does anyone know of a decent dealer in GA that I could just go buy the thing from? I can't seem to find one locally.

davemcdonald
11-16-06, 13:47
Could your buddy have mistaken a SA XD45 Tactical for a Glock. The XD is available with a FDE lower.

Dave

subzero
11-16-06, 13:49
I don't know if they actually make a tan one, but yes, they do make green. Here's mine:

http://www.virginiarangers.com/albums/album29/DSC00005.sized.jpg

As you can see, with a little change in lighting, it looks very close to tan. These two pics were taken about 30 seconds apart.

http://www.virginiarangers.com/albums/album29/DSC00009.sized.jpg

I just told the dealer I wanted a green 19. When it showed up, he called to make sure I asked for green, because it looked tan to him. I just thought it was nice to have one that wasn't all black.

shark31
11-16-06, 13:58
No, my buddy owns several glocks and I believe 2 XD's. He swore up and down to me that there was a green one, and a "tan" one, and that he held them both at the same time and one was a different color from the other. I hope he is mistaken, but I'm just trying to get the scoop.

Bugaboo
11-16-06, 14:11
Your friend could be right but plastic stuff can differ in colors from batch to batch. But a Tan Glock would be real nice, like the one you posted. But it looks like somebody worked on it, the sarration in front, tan slide etc.

shark31
11-16-06, 14:21
Well, I just got off the phone with the gunstore and my buddy. The guy at the gunstore that answered the phone was really busy and just told me the same thing y'all did. But my buddy said that he talked to a different rep this morning and that one of the guns was a rental, and the other one brand new. The rep told him that the color is different.

I think that maybe one of them was just out of a batch of frames that the pigment was somehow skewed? I left a message for the sales rep that my buddy talked to this morning. I'll post an update when I hear back from him.

Sorry to post something like this, my Glock-fu is weak!

ETA: Just got off the phone again, the green one does not have a rail on the dustcover, so I suppose that they just changed the color of the frame since the first or second gen?:D

GlockWRX
11-16-06, 14:35
I don't think they made OD green Glocks on the Gen II frame. It's possible that the non-railed gun was painted or dyed. The current OD guns, like Subzero showed, are kind of halfway between OD and tan.

ETA: When injection molding, the color of the plastic is controlled by less than 10% of the raw material. Meaning, if you melt 100 lbs of polymer pellets to make a batch of frames, 90 lbs of it will be clear while the remaining 10 lbs will be used to control the color of the finished product.

M4arc
11-16-06, 15:13
As GlockWRX stated there were no Gen II OD frames. Either the non-light railed gun was painted or its a sub-compact with slightly different color pigment.

shark31
11-16-06, 15:19
OK, thanks for the quick reply guys. I was just curious as I think I will have to order this gun, and didn't want to get the wrong frame. I greatly appreciate your assistance.:D

Sam
11-16-06, 15:21
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/shark31/jyogi21.jpg

That picture looks like it was from Bowie Tactical Concepts and a custom Glock from David Bowie. Looks like the slide is painted with tan color and maybe the frame is too.

shark31
11-16-06, 15:29
That picture looks like it was from Bowie Tactical Concepts and a custom Glock from David Bowie. Looks like the slide is painted with tan color and maybe the frame is too.
It's actually Wendell Tactical Concepts. He said that it was just an OD frame, no paint on the frame. He quoted me a very reasonable price and was one of the most helpful of the glock customizers that I've been talking to. He will be getting my business.:D

olds442tyguy
11-16-06, 17:52
My local Scheel's All Sports had a batch of tan Glocks on clearance the last time I was up there. They aren't dark tan though, and they match fairly evenly with the HK tan frames. I even got to fondle a tan 19 that a buddy was looking at. They had OD frames in stock as well, and I'm 100% confident the tan color wasn't by accident.

I also remember awhile back a guy posted pictures of his Glocks on TOS including two that were tan, and a few people commented on how rare they are. It appears they were limited production special order items.

The ones I saw were railed 17's and 19's. If they're really that rare, I could try and get some cell phone pics if they still have any left.

ETA: Bud's Gun Shop has nearly all of the OD Glock line in stock.

ETA2: I just searched Glock Talk, and here is a picture of a tan Glock a guy ordered straight through Glock.

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/image/37258628/large.jpg

davemcdonald
11-16-06, 18:29
I gotta git me one of those. That is some Tactical Tan Goodness.

Dave

M4arc
11-16-06, 20:23
My local Scheel's All Sports had a batch of tan Glocks on clearance the last time I was up there. They aren't dark tan though, and they match fairly evenly with the HK tan frames. I even got to fondle a tan 19 that a buddy was looking at. They had OD frames in stock as well, and I'm 100% confident the tan color wasn't by accident.

I also remember awhile back a guy posted pictures of his Glocks on TOS including two that were tan, and a few people commented on how rare they are. It appears they were limited production special order items.

The ones I saw were railed 17's and 19's. If they're really that rare, I could try and get some cell phone pics if they still have any left.

ETA: Bud's Gun Shop has nearly all of the OD Glock line in stock.

ETA2: I just searched Glock Talk, and here is a picture of a tan Glock a guy ordered straight through Glock.

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/image/37258628/large.jpg

Oh poop...the GLOCK shelf in the safe is going to be very crowded now!

Robb Jensen
11-20-06, 09:12
Here's a pic of the green Glock 34 that I use to use in Production class in USPSA. I'm shooting an M&P9 now.

Glock 34 (St Charles 3gun match in Jan06)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/HiteHollow01-01-06331.jpg