PDA

View Full Version : Glock firing pin spring lifespan

PLCedeno
12-22-08, 09:10
How long can a glock remain loaded and chambered before the firing pin spring weakens? Any thoughts on when to replace?

markm
12-22-08, 09:16
Probably a hundred years?

DM-SC
12-22-08, 10:15
I have a G19 that's been loaded (15+1) pretty much 24/7 for 10 years or so.

Still goes bang when I pull the trigger. :cool:

Having said that...springs are pretty inexpensive items. They are also easy to replace in a Glock. I guess replacing them...say every 5 years or so...wouldn't be a bad thing to do.

skyugo
12-22-08, 13:31
isn't it cycling a spring that causes wear? leaving it set in one position shouldn't hurt it right? that's what i've gathered from all the "should i leave my mags loaded?" threads... :confused:

that said, trigger springs are supposedly a weak point on glocks... would yearly replacement (if i shoot about 5k a year) be overkill? :confused:

Deputy91
12-22-08, 14:59
If you shoot 5k rounds a year you should definitely replace the reciol spring assembly. other than that, a detail strip and complete safety function check.

-Mike.

skyugo
12-22-08, 15:01
If you shoot 5k rounds a year you should definitely replace the reciol spring assembly. other than that, a detail strip and complete safety function check.

-Mike.

cool..

i bought a full set of spare pins and springs the other day. trigger and recoil springs a good idea to replace...

anything else? it's a G19 btw.

Iraqgunz
12-22-08, 16:00
I think Glock recommends replacing the recoil spring guide about every 3-5K rounds now. It's been 2 years since my last Glock course. If someone wants to try a slightly different trigger feel put a 3.5lb connector in with a NY trigger. My Glocks are that way and I like the feel.

JonInWA
12-22-08, 16:45
Glock recommends that the recoil spring assembly be replaced every 3k rounds, per the August 2008 Armorer's Course.

Frankly, the only reason that I can conceive of to replace the striker spring would be if I was encountering light strikes(presumably due to excessive spring wear or or perhaps due to a defective spring). I simply can't recall hearing of striker spring wear requiring replacement.

If my Glock was going to be used in an environment where there was a strong liklihood of having to use ammunition with hard primers (such as some submachine gun ammunition), or as some Greek 9mm in the past was characteristic of, for example, I would replace the standard striker spring with one of the two stronger striker springs that Glock can provide (but normally not for the US market).

Best, Jon

Iraqgunz
12-22-08, 17:13
Thanks for that update. BTW- have they come out with an updated manual yet, or do they just throw this stuff out during the course?

Glock recommends that the recoil spring assembly be replaced every 3k rounds, per the August 2008 Armorer's Course.

Frankly, the only reason that I can conceive of to replace the striker spring would be if I was encountering light strikes(presumably due to excessive spring wear or or perhaps due to a defective spring). I simply can't recall hearing of striker spring wear requiring replacement.

If my Glock was going to be used in an environment where there was a strong liklihood of having to use ammunition with hard primers (such as some submachine gun ammunition), or as some Greek 9mm in the past was characteristic of, for example, I would replace the standard striker spring with one of the two stronger striker springs that Glock can provide (but normally not for the US market).

Best, Jon

ToddG
12-22-08, 21:08
Regardless of what manufacturers recommend, personally I think it's wise to replace all the springs & pins in a gun (pin != firing pin though) every 10k rounds. They very well may not need it, but it's usually very cheap insurance. If you don't know how to detail strip your gun, 10k is also a good interval at which to let a pro take it apart and inspect it, anyway.

Robb Jensen
12-22-08, 21:28
I'm a bit anal with my Glocks I replace the firing pin springs and recoil springs together when either when the recoil spring fails the recoil spring test or at 5K rounds.
The gun is a system and I treat it as such be replacing springs. I use Wolff XP mag springs in my Glocks when replacing the factory mag springs.

skyugo
12-23-08, 02:01
I think Glock recommends replacing the recoil spring guide about every 3-5K rounds now. It's been 2 years since my last Glock course. If someone wants to try a slightly different trigger feel put a 3.5lb connector in with a NY trigger. My Glocks are that way and I like the feel.

is that a bit less mushy? the NY spring is supposed to be a bit more durable too right?
how are those ghost connectors? i've heard they're great, and i've also heard they suck. :confused: soooo... damn the internet for bombarding me with too much info.

PLCedeno
12-23-08, 07:03
Lets try to stay on the topic at hand. Firing pin spring. Sense we dont have a real concensous here it is even more interesting than i would have guessed.

Alpha Sierra
12-23-08, 10:32
isn't it cycling a spring that causes wear? leaving it set in one position shouldn't hurt it right? that's what i've gathered from all the "should i leave my mags loaded?" threads... :confused:
You are correct.

That internet myth about spring compression just does NOT want to die no matter how many mechanical engineers and metallurgists weigh in on it. It makes "sense" to laymen that a compressed spring weakens progressively so they continue to argue far out of their lane.

Condensed version: springs take an initial set on their first compression and they stay at that length until cyclical stresses weaken it to the point of sagging or breaking. If you compress a spring and leave it compressed for a year, it will be the same free length when you do release it.

Alpha Sierra
12-23-08, 10:37
How long can a glock remain loaded and chambered before the firing pin spring weakens? Any thoughts on when to replace?
Time is not the concern, number of cycles is. So use whatever round count interval is recommended by those who know. What I do know is that leaving a spring compressed does not weaken it.