PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Carbine Stock to Colt Sporter, Full-Sized Stock?

Stormcaster
11-20-06, 17:07
Hello everyone and, I need some advice.
Unlike most of you who possess REAL “AR”s”, well, I have, I have, I OWN A COLT SPORTER OKAY THERE I SAID IT!! :eek: A Colt Sporter HBAR, pre-ban, 20-inch rifle but nevertheless a SPORTer…and I really do NOT like the A2, Full-Sized stock that’s on it now SO…

Can I say…purchase a CARBINE stock (from Grant, of course) and rip off the old stock and put a VLTOR or Magpul or Crane on there (I really like that VLTOR!)?? I understand that (according to VLTOR) “Colt’s use a mil-spec tube” but would that make any difference? Perhaps a different “thread size” or something where I would need a special receiver extension tube to make it fit?

I’m pretty DAYUM sure that at least a FEW of you “AR Aficionados” here have done this before (MAN there’s a LOT of knowledge on this forum…thank you!!) so please let me know so I can order the CORRECT part AND, if you have any ideas on what brand of carbine stock YOU would put on YOUR rifle (if you would), then PLEASE share that with me as well!!

Thank you,
Storm

Robb Jensen
11-20-06, 17:09
Carbine stock on a 20" AR will work fine.

Akoni
11-20-06, 17:44
Can I say…purchase a CARBINE stock (from Grant, of course) and rip off the old stock and put a VLTOR or Magpul or Crane on there (I really like that VLTOR!)?? I understand that (according to VLTOR) “Colt’s use a mil-spec tube” but would that make any difference? Perhaps a different “thread size” or something where I would need a special receiver extension tube to make it fit?

Just be sure to order a full kit and not just the stock alone. On top of the stock you will need to change out the reciever extension, recoil spring and buffer.

Stormcaster
11-20-06, 19:42
Just be sure to order a full kit and not just the stock alone. On top of the stock you will need to change out the reciever extension, recoil spring and buffer.

Thank's Akoni...and that is exactly what I'm asking ya here, too! VLTOR states that their receiver extension works with "mil-spec" (dayum I really am sick of hearing that term!) Colt and (I think) one or two other "muuu..muu..AHHHH, okay OKAY mil-SPEC receivers, dag-nabit! AND I think they sell their kit WITH the ext. tube I need. I'm rather dense so I can't really understand WHAT they are trying to say NOR do they seem very adept at returning email(s) either :( .

Hey, I KNOW! Betcha Grant (if he carries them..STILL need to check!) could set me up, yes? Maybe not with a VLTOR but, perhaps something like a Crane or Magpul...both seem very sturdy and I don't really KNEEE no stinkin battery compaaaartments (more things to break-off :rolleyes: ) anyway.

Thank you for your input...now I need to make yet ANOTHER posting concerning this AR-15 this guy is trying to sell....

Storm